Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2020, 04:34 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How to fix a rubber stamp

I have been trolling out on E-bay, (like always!). I have purchased several lots, (OK, a lot of lots!).

Some of the nicest stamps are in worst conditions.

I want to know, does anyone have a way to fix hard red rubber stamps?

How do you keep a stamp from turning hard?

I've purchased stamps that look so new and clean, only to find that the rubber is as hard as a rock!

Thanks for any help.
I can't wait for your replies!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

This topic has popped up a few times lately, and I'm really sorry to say that no one seems to have had any success in bringing hardened rubber stamps back to life. I'm taking a stab in the dark that it could have been poor storage- maybe in sunlight?- that has caused this to happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Some people will use glycerin on them. I would likely let it soak overnight. Maaaybe.....

Unfortunately a lot of people who sell stamps on ebay dont use them themselves so they dont get it. You could bring it up with the seller and see about a refund....

I can highly recommend an ebay seller there called StampinSisters. They dont do lots but they do lower the prices over time based on how long it is listed. Then it pops up to the highest again and cycles again. 

BTW if you like lot buying I would look at the Goodwill online site. If I put in for rubber stamps it gives us a crazy long link that isnt working here. 

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

There is not a lot you can do. :( Like everyone else mentioned trying soaking the stamp in glycerin.

There is a lot of flipping going on over at Ebay right now. Most of those sellers have never stamped in their lives so they are just unloading everything for a quick sale.

Sadly, right now with so many out of work a lot of stampers are selling their stamp collections on Ebay. I have been looking for those listings. It is pretty easy to tell who they are by the way they use terms in their listings because they term things like we do over here. A flipper is like "This is my lot of stamps!" A stamper is like "This is my collection of PSX, CHF, SU, etc..."

If you look at the sellers home page you can see if they are selling craft supplies or a myriad of products not related to stamping. If it's myriad then they are probably not stampers.

I am not being negative about flippers. I have friends who flip. It's a viable business. It's cutthroat and vicious to. You can score some great deals if you know how to play their game.

wavejumper- Shhh about Goodwill. Don't be sharing thrift secrets, ROFL! I don't need the competition on bidding, lol. I am addicted to that site. I hardly buy art supplies from them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2020, 05:07 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Thank you wavejumper and Iylacfey, for saving me time and money.  Also, I"ll keep Goodwill a secret just between us.  My daughter buys Legos on the Goodwill site.  It didn't cross my mind to look for stamps! Thank you again and stay safe and healthy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

LMAO Lylacfey. I have a friend who hunted there for low prices on PSX florals. She has done very well considering she had a $5 limit when she was out of work. (cant keep a stamper down!)  She just donates back the rest of the lot to Ronald McDonald house. That is a lot of work though searching the lots. 

Good tips on how to figure out if a seller is user or not on ebay. I also look at solds to see if they have been selling stamps over time and ALWAYS look at feedback! ALWAYS. 

I had always thought I would sell there but it got too unfriendly to sellers and costly. Esp for one stamp at a time. I actually know of a lot of good sellers there if people are interested. I dont know if they are still there with covid though. I have not done any buying lately. 

But some small mfgs sell there like rubber hedgehog....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

Thanks, I'm going to the Goodwill site.  But, shhh, I'm keeping that a secret!  Stay safe and healthy, stamper friends!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2020, 12:06 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- I think Rubber Hedgehog is still on Ebay. I swear I bought something from them around lockdown. This year is such a blur it could have been last year, lol.

I know a few of the local stamp stores are selling on Ebay. I have been buying Distress Reinkers from them. They seem really grateful for business. I know some demo's for SU are unloading lots of nice things.

Ladies hit Ebay because there are treasures from stampers unloading their surplus or clutter. Honestly, really hit Ebay because I keep buying things. If you all buy things then I won't see them and won't be tempted, lol.

I feel like I have become an Ebay expert lately. I get nervous I go shopping for deals, lol. I have been living over at Ebay. I usually wander around thrift stores when my anxiety is high. I am not going thrifting as much. Ebay has been my new fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2020, 12:30 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Default Ebay trolling

Oh yes, I to have been living my stamp life on EBay too!  I do also purchase stamps and dies over at Mercari.  not as much.  Every now and then, I receive an offer off the listing price.  It seems like lately, because of prior medical conditions, I can't go out to shop.  My poor husband has done our grocery and all other shopping.  We live 60 miles from the stores, in the Sierras.  Hoping for snow this weekend!  I guess I'll be cozy with my laptop!  How do you store your stamps?  Just curious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2020, 01:09 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Mischelle1- I am envious of your snow. I have the windows open and it's 70's outside! I am a snow girl. I love snow. On the bright side I can keep my home aired out. Last week I was opening in windows when it was twenty degrees outside to air out the house, lol.

I understand about shopping. I am only going out for groceries and essentials. I occasionally go to Menards and one thrift store. My thrift store has super strict protocols in place for Covid. I admire everyone for shopping in stores but I'm not there yet. Took me almost nine months before I went to WalMart! I was mourning my yearly trek to HL to look at Christmas Ornaments but I shopped HL online and that was really fun.

I store my stamps in sandwich bags by category. I have the majority of my stamps unmounted. I learned that trick from Carol Duvall years ago. I have been doing this for years and my stamps are in excellent condition. I tried all the other popular storage systems for stamping. It wasn't right for me. I like sandwich bags.

I know some ladies have to use detailed storage systems for their collection because they are on various design teams. I only buy for me, don't follow companies and buy subjects I like. I have a quirky collection, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes