Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #41
Insane Embellisher

Have stopped going to Michaels when I do errand day. Dropped out of monthly hostess club (but that was before all the economic news--realized I didn't need to spend that money every month).

My stamping $$ aren't really affected by the economy--I work at the library, and my job pays for my crafting. DH works for the military (as a contractor), and is 6 months into a 3 year contract. So we are okay. We have done the unemployed thing, however--DH got a layoff email right after 9/11. But we are okay now.

BUT, we have several real estate investment houses we are trying to sell--know anyone who wants a house?

HEATHER
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #42
Rubber Obsessor

I just placed a SU order but refrained alot! This is my first big purchase in quite some time and my spending has decreased a lot in the last few months. We are self employed in the construction/home improvement business and work has been scarce. Luckily we get enough jobs to keep us going but we're not booming like we usualy are.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh yeah, my craft spending is way down. Money is tighter than it has been in a LONG time. But, fortunately I have a job and hopefully will have my car paid off in 6 mos.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #44
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

My hubby works for an Anheuser-Busch company and you know what is happening with that. We are only using one car (when we can), shopping only for sale items, and I have been selling stuff on eBay, Craigs List etc... I have purchased some craft stuff but its been with my instant income/volume rebates as a SU demo and I haven't added any extra money to it, like in the past. Defintely has me wanting to save alot more as our oldest DD is 15 and wants a car, all the kids need braces, etc... Hopefully this economy will change quickly but not holding my breath.

Last edited by debbiemom23cs; 09-21-2008 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: bad spelling errors!!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM   #45
Embossing Fanatic

Sigh... Well, for me ... I just finished college and now I am looking for jobs. I have a part time one still, but I need a real job now to pay off student loans and such. My biggest issue has been just finding anywhere that will hire me. So to say money is tight is an understatement.

I am a bit frustrated looking at jobs too because I really want something that is more secure so hopefully I won't be out of a job again soon. It is kind of hard to guarantee that though.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

I am certainly giving a lot more thought to everything I buy. DH's job is stable, but he comes home with depressing news on how business is down and cut backs are everywhere - thankfully not causing job losses. But from what I am reading and watching on TV, this is not going to be a quick fix. The US is in for a bumpy ride and it will not be an easy fix. I think we'll be cutting back in all areas for awhile.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:19 PM   #47
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
WOW - you are my kind of gal! DH and I buy wine now when we travel rather than other souvenrs. We love to take long weekend trips up to the NY Finger Lakes region and usually come home with 2 - 3 cases. On Friday we're headed down to VA and NC. We will most likely hit the wine festival at Smith Mountain Lake (near Roanoke) with my brother and SIL on Sat and pick up more wine on our way home when we stop near Raleigh to visit the stepsons. They both live not too far from the Yadkin Valley. Gotta love the vino! (and stamping too)

Try the Horton winery just south of Charlottesville, VA - yummy fruit wines, wine tasting, picnic tables on grounds - very very good local wines. I am fond of the cranberry.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #48
Stampin' Fool

Default Most certainly!

I have really started watching what I spend on everything. I am even contemplating letting SU go after the next quarter because I have met my quota for this quarter. I am sure that I will find a SU demo to purchase the things I use on a regular basis such as the card stock, DP, and adhesive.

Between the foolishness that is going on with gas prices, my son's college tuition, and groceries, I must prioritize my spending. Not to mention the fact that this new catty just doesn't do it for me and I have enough stuff in my woman cave to last me for quite some time.

Last week, my DH picked me up for lunch in a new hybrid Yuckon and I made him take it back to the dealership. We are just about finished paying for our the 2005 Yuckon and I am not looking to purchase another vehicle anytime soon. LOL I don't think he got the message yet because he took me to the BMW dealership today.

My main focus right now is to cut our monthly expenses as much as possible because I see the writing on the wall. This economy is only going to get worse as long as the people in office continue to lie about what is really going on.

The billions paid to AIG as a bail out is only the tip of the ice berg. I am so thankful that my stock portfolio is diversified enough that I can still see some gains.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #49
Stampin' Fool

Donna,

This is funny! ROFLMAO However, I feel the same as you do about this whole situation. My husband and I purchased our home in 1990 and we not planning to go anywhere. Some people tell us it is un-American to stay in one home and not move to a bigger house. My thoughts on that is, when I first walked into our home, I fell in love with it. We have a wonderful neighborhood watch program that is very active in our community. I know my neighbors and we look out for one another. Therefore, I am going to stay right were I am.

My DH and I can sleep at night because we know that if one of us loose a job, the other person's income will cover our monthly expenses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmeeksView Post
LOL - I'm spending more because I'm hopeful the government will bail me out of trouble for poor financial decisions just as they are the banks and lending instituations who created this mess.

This is a sore subject in our household, expecially since it appears every taxpayer will be contributing at least $2,500 to resolve it - so much for no tax increase.

My DH is a realtor and he has routinely over the last several years seen clients moved up to bigger houses than they can't really afford because of the lower initial interest rates of ARMS. If people can't afford the bigger house; then they should buy one they could pay for without everything having to go the mortgage and then when the mortgage rate rose (what a surprise...) they could no longer afford it. I'd love a big, new expensive house too, but our family lives in a modest, smaller home we can afford and still get to eat!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #50
Forum Fanatic

Being on disability I have a secure income but a securely low income. It was tough before but each day it gets a bit tighter. I just listed about a 1/4 of my stamps on ebay so I can plan for my DD christmas. The topper for me was receiving a letter from the state that they raised me and my daughters food stamp total to $14 a month. LOL cost of living in their eyes.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:57 AM   #51
Die Cut Diva

My job is pretty secure for now, at least until this project is finished. Our contrct was extended to March '09. After that, hopefully the company will get another project in this area. If they don't, I'll most likely have to commute to Orlando every day if I want to stay with this company. That's a minimum of 65 miles each way, depending on where the jobsite would be located. So, we'll see what the future brings.

I'm trying to be mindful of how much I spend on stamping supplies other than SU! I still have to meet those minimums and I'm my only customer!

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Old 09-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #52
Kookie Creator

I, too, feel for all of you struggling with unemployment, at-risk jobs. I guess I will have think of that...I have been working more hours than I care to and have been exhausted. The economy hasn't really changed my spending habits. But, I think I spent around $20 in August to finish my stamp club, and that has been it. We are trying to pay off our credit card debt and save for our on-the-way baby. Plus, I realized I was spending WAY more than I thought I was each month at stamp club, and I am accumulating more than I am using. Not to mention that the first trimester is kicking my butt and I have only stamped once since I found out I was pg.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #53
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I'm so sorry for those of you struggling, I really hope that things look up soon. It's awesome and commendable though that you know where to cut back when you should...

I'm fortunate to be in the military and know that I have a guaranteed paycheck. DH is also in so we're comfortable. No bills and no debt makes me a happy girl cause I don't have to slow down my spending, lol! DOesn't mean I shouldn't, I just don't wanna
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #54
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Our spending hasn't changed at all, not in the last week or months. Then again, we've always been pretty simple people with simple lifestyles. We don't like having "stuff". I know, we're weird and un-American LOL!

Although my husband's job seems secure, I know that the economy is rough for many right now. However, I'll be blunt and say I don't have much sympathy for those who are in serious credit card debt and/or bought homes they couldn't afford. We're not happy about bailing people out who knowingly spent more than they could afford (and, yes, we have a few family members in this boat and we love them, but do not condone their financial irresponsibility).

Even with my husband's job not in danger right now (I'm a SAHM), we still have a plan in place in case he does lose it and we have our faith, so we are at peace with whatever comes out way. Right now, we are focused on continuing to live simply and to help others who are struggling. We know of several friends who are hurting, despite being responsible, and we feel compelled to help them. It doesn't feel right to buy frivilous things when they need basic necessities met.

So while our spending hasn't changed, it was never a lot to begin with.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #55
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kisa31707View Post
Donna,

This is funny! ROFLMAO However, I feel the same as you do about this whole situation. My husband and I purchased our home in 1990 and we not planning to go anywhere. Some people tell us it is un-American to stay in one home and not move to a bigger house. My thoughts on that is, when I first walked into our home, I fell in love with it. We have a wonderful neighborhood watch program that is very active in our community. I know my neighbors and we look out for one another. Therefore, I am going to stay right were I am.

My DH and I can sleep at night because we know that if one of us loose a job, the other person's income will cover our monthly expenses.
When did this happen to America? My DH is infected with it...each time we moved with the military, we went bigger (usually against my wishes), and when we bought our current house 4.5 years ago, I had panic attacks about the price. DH wouldn't listen to me at all. Fortunately, we really can afford it, but we're trapped now. DH wants to move to CO (he's retired from AF now), but we'd lose all our equity if we sold this Beast in the current market. So we're staying put, which makes me very happy, but DH must stay in a job he doesn't enjoy to pay for the Beast's bills. At least he has a job and military pension....

I am a big-picture gal who knows that whatever economic valley we've moved into will pass and things will get better. But the suffering right now is very real for so many people, and I pray we climb out of the valley very, very soon.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #56
Die Cut Diva

I'm spending less, but not necessarily because of the economic news.

I have a lot of back-to-school/birthday/holiday expenses until about Feb, so I'm trying to cut back some on my discretionary spending.

I also see the price of groceries and utilities going up so that also cuts into discretionary spending as well. But I still do pretty much whatever I want, but just not with quite so much abandon, KWIM? LOL!

I'm also not thrilled with having to bail out companies and people who knowingly got in over their heads in the great gimme-grab of the last few years. DH and I have been in the same house for 15 years. Sure, we could have "traded up" but I didn't want to go back to the days of having a mortgage. So we stayed put. Forgive me if I'm selfish, but I really don't care to pay for someone else's McMansion.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #57
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

In the last week - no change. I've always tried never to buy more than I can afford comfortably at the time. If there's less spare money, I buy less; when there's a bit more, than I can treat myself to something extra from my wish list. Mind you, electricity and gas bills will both be more this winter than they were last.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #58
Kookie Creator

I feel for everyone who has lost a job or whose spouse has lost a job in this economy. I think every single politician should be impeached -- and all those CEOs who got the "golden parachutes" should be forced to sign them over to pay for this bailout -- like parents who don't pay alimony are forced to give up some of their wages.

As for my spending, my industry -- newspapers -- never recovered from the last crisis, the tech bust of the late 90s. I've been stressed ever since. But now it's really terrible. Journalists are being laid off all over the United States, and newspapers are either shrinking or going out of business. My paper has been contracting and how they are being sneaky is re-naming all the positions and then having everyone reapply and making the salaries lower! It hasn't happened to me -- yet -- but I am terrified. So In answer to the question, I don't spend any money that isn't for something on sale or necessary. I don't buy any stamping supplies unless I have a coupon and even then it has to be something I really need, not just want. This past weekend there was a stamping fair at the Dutches County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck NY and for the first time I decided not to go becuase it was money I couldn't afford to spend. I did buy 1 set from the newest Papertrey releasea -- the Mazel Tov set -- but that's my spending money.

I never bought a home. I decided to listen to my parents -- children of the Depression -- and not buy anything I can't afford. So while I have no CC debt (yay) I don't have much of anything else. I live in a small 1 BR rental apartment which is OK and safe and fits my needs. And there's no room for stamping stuff anyway!

(political rant coming) I'm disgusted at all of the people who bought with no money down or too big a house that they couldn't afford. Why do I, and so many other people who did it right, have to bail those people out, and I get nothing?

grrrr.

The only upside that I can make myself think about is that it was so much worse in the Depression. Now I have health insurance. And there is SocSec, even if it's a pittance. And the money in the savings account is safe because of the FDIC which was invented as a result of the Depression.

And if my grandma could make do with whatever she had then, I can certainly make do with all my cardstock and DP's and embellies and stamps now and not want any more.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #59
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Just wondering, how has your spending changed IN THE LAST WEEK?
Specifically this last week the economy has forced me to cut out some extra spending here and there.

For example, we went to Busch Garden Saturday (season passes so no $$) and drove about 60 miles each way therefore I didnt drive 35 miles each way on Sunday to AC Moore to use my 50% off coupon on a new Sizzix die because I felt we had already spent enough on gas for the weekend and I needed enough in my car to get me to and from work before I get paid on Thursday.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #60
Die Cut Diva

I've cut down on my spending a lot in the past few months. I used to spend at least $100 on a week on just...stuff...and now I'm lucky if its $30. When I walk into a store, I definitely contemplate whether or not I really need something. Before, I would just buy it. I wanted some Hanna Stamps, it took me at least 2 months before I convinced myself it was OK to order them. This morning, I finally paid for a subscription to Runner's World (whopping $12) which I've wanted for 6 months. I want a Cuddlebug, but I can't see spending that money right now. Even though I've cut down on my spending significantly, I haven't found I have more money...it just goes elsewhere...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

Well Joan, in the last week I finally put in my SU order. I guess it was smaller. usually I do at least enough for a level A hostess thingie, but my whole order was just $85. That will hold me until the next catalog.

I didn't buy anything else this week crafty.

I can't really say that's because of the recent Economic crap though. I have recently taken up sewing with a passion, so that's sucking a lot of my money up!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsjvbView Post
I am from Upstate NY, so am well acquainted with the Finger Lakes region. this weekend was all about Louden county VA( Leesburg). 13 wineries in 2 days....38 bottles worth! we started off with a plan.. no more than 3 bottles per winery..and was doing really well..until we found a new one..and had to..literally HAD to get one of each. Luckily they only have five vintages so far....but we never spent more than $100 at each winery.

since I pay the credit card off in full every month( its a great source of pride to me that we have not paid interest at all this year) I will most likely have to back down a little on extraneous spending next month....

good thing I already placed my SU! order....
This cracked me up since I live 45 mins away from Napa Valley. I can do some damage there! I'm impressed that you don't spend more than $100 at each winery. We also pay our credit card off every month, if we didn't have the money for wine, we wouldn't go. I also have two wine clubs that ship to the house!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #63
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SammyStamperView Post
This cracked me up since I live 45 mins away from Napa Valley. I can do some damage there! I'm impressed that you don't spend more than $100 at each winery. We also pay our credit card off every month, if we didn't have the money for wine, we wouldn't go. I also have two wine clubs that ship to the house!
You all are making me really glad that wine gives me a headache. LOL~

More money for stamps that way.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #64
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I went on a spending diet. But it was to save money for a new camera. Then my dad gave me his camera...so I've been spending a bit more again. I received $50 of the $75 I won in a weight loss contest over the summer and I went on a money binge! I spent every penny! (sigh) Now I'm back to saving for smaller purchases, Christmas and hubby's birthday. It was fun while it lasted!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

My heart breaks for many of you and your stories of unemployment and stress of how to feed your family. I grew up poor so I keep our spending to a minimum most of the time.

We both have stable well paying jobs and even though our "fun" money has shrunk over these last months due to rising costs of everything, we still have plenty and these threads are a humble reminder for me.

As others have said, I haven't spend much on crafting and told myself to use what I have after 13 years of stamping, I have lots! We also don't drive much due to gas costs and eat at home which is a killer for me as I love to eat out and try new restaurants.

I live in the Bay Area and when I bought 5 years ago, everyone (including banks) were telling my husband how we could easily buy a $700,000 house on an interest only loan with little money down. We chose to go interest only at the time but on a $450,000 house. We refinanced into a 30 year a few years ago as I saw the writing on the wall. It irriates me to no end that my tax dollars are going to have to bail the stupid out! I also can't believe there aren't more consequences for turning in your keys and walking away because you owe more than your house is worth, then you can buy another house fairly easily. I know two people who have done this. Sorry for the rant, but I just feel like those of us who did the responsible thing are paying for others who didn't.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #66
Insane Embellisher

Joan B - I just spent 2 hours visiting your blog! Great site. I love your sense of humor.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

I know I've already answered once but have something else to add...

You know what totally stinks?!? I have an Engineering degree but no luck finding a job right now. Several retail stores around me are hiring but I'm too qualified according to them. SO it's a double edged sword... get a degree but can't find work! I haven't been real grocery shopping in I don't know how long. I eat a lot of rice and sgettio's. Not the best of diets.

I hate thinking about having to give up my house and move in with my parents (I'm 31 so this is disheartening to me) but the utilities are killing me.

So yes I'm feeling a major crunch.

View my BLOG
Old 09-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #68
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Wow - I assume engineering is the same in the US as where you are, but my dad owns an engineering firm and can't find anyone to work for him! He has several positions open, and some big jobs coming down the pipe, and he really needs engineers! I hope things look up for you soon and that you receive a healthy dose of persistence in finding the right job! It can get very discouraging, I know.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:37 AM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Wow - I assume engineering is the same in the US as where you are, but my dad owns an engineering firm and can't find anyone to work for him! He has several positions open, and some big jobs coming down the pipe, and he really needs engineers! I hope things look up for you soon and that you receive a healthy dose of persistence in finding the right job! It can get very discouraging, I know.
I'm willing to relocate!

I don't know why it's so tough. I have looked all over the south east. Part of the problem with me is that so many of them want to go through headhunters and I hate working with headhunters.

View my BLOG
Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #70
Hardware Hotshot

hasn't affected me...but than again I guess I am lucky I am a procrastinator...I have been meaning to put some of our emergency fund in a mutual fund or something...but never seems to be enough time...good thing I didn't or else I could have far less money right now...

I am actually spending big in this economy...as we are renovating our house - cheaper to renovate and get exactly what we want than move...
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #71
Polyshrink Goddess

My spending has cut way back. My husband and I are both retired. I have lost my part-time job as a church secretary. My health is not good and I have applied for disability but was denied. We are in debt counseling because when we were both working we didn't pay much attention to things. If we wanted it we got it with easy credit. BIG HUGE mistake and we are paying for it now. My husband's whole Soc Sec check go to pay them every month. I am in a hostess club so at least once a month I feel I can afford that. Our son lives at home and he has lost his job too. This economy thing needs to turn around - it's depressing.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #72
Matboard Maniac

My spending hasn't actually changed too much, but I don't think I've ever really spent extravagantly. I am used to shopping sales and using coupons, so it's pretty much been business as usual at our house. We are lucky though, in that we both have very secure jobs. Otherwise I probably would limit to the very bare bones in order to increase our savings.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #73
Matboard Maniac

my spending hasnt slowed i reason that by ordering from my tac demo and su demo flourishes and gina k im helping keeping them in business the big businesses like micheals ac moores i very rarely go
Old 09-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #74
Matboard Maniac

i do save a certain amount a week that goes right into a savings account
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #75
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by patricia gervaisView Post
my spending hasnt slowed i reason that by ordering from my tac demo and su demo flourishes and gina k im helping keeping them in business the big businesses like micheals ac moores i very rarely go
Good thinking!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:54 AM   #76
Proud Fan Club Member

Default affecting spending

If I could believe all the spam e-mails I recieve at my workcomputer(which supposedly has the tightest of filters on it) ---just this week I have won the British, Australian and Powerball lottery---so I am just busy writing out lists to use up all those milllions on ROFLMBO!!!!!!!

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Old 09-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #77
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
so I am just busy writing out lists to use up all those milllions on ROFLMBO!!!!!!!
ROFLMBO right there with you - how funny!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #78
Kookie Creator

What spending? I have a DH in commissioned sales and that scares me. No sale no money. I am cobbling together a small income to help out but his schedule and the kids school schedules make it difficult to find much.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #79
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
If I could believe all the spam e-mails I recieve at my workcomputer(which supposedly has the tightest of filters on it) ---just this week I have won the British, Australian and Powerball lottery---so I am just busy writing out lists to use up all those milllions on ROFLMBO!!!!!!!
LOL, my "long lost cousin" in Africa also passed away this week and left me $3 million.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 AM   #80
Pearl-ExPert

My spending hasn't changed much at all BUT I am going to cut back on buying bunches of stuff 'cause for the last couple of months I've hardly stamped -- I've really been scrapbooking a lot though so at least I am doing stuff. So for me it isn't a matter of $$$, it's more of a necessity to use what I have without constantly bringing in more that I don't really need.