Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2016, 01:58 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How early do you plan to start Holiday Crafting?

I'm just curious what everyone's plans are. With Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas all bunched up so close I feel like I'm constantly skipping over Thanksgiving crafting and last year I even skipped Halloween cards so I could focus more on making decorations. I'm kind of thinking it's about time to get started on these cards! I also noticed that some stamp companies are going to release their winter products in August so it's not unthinkable to make these cards this early. I feel like the smaller stamp companies are skipping over Halloween and Thanksgiving though which makes me sad. Halloween cards are what got me started into card making :( .

So when do you plan on starting you holiday cards? Do you skip Halloween or Thanksgiving to focus on Christmas or another winter holiday? Are you planning on buying new supplies or just using what you bought last year?

I bought the Stamp of Approval box last year and only used maybe a quarter of the stamps so I think I'm set for this year between those, what I already had and some demo sets I'll be getting soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I don't even start Christmas crafting until Thanksgiving - I'm with you - the fall holidays are my fave and they don't get enough air time! I LOVE Halloween stamps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I could get into making Christmas in Jugly. But there is no way! I also love fall and while I don't make cards for Thanksgiving or Halloween, I do decorate for fall. Love the colours

On a cool and cloudy fall day I have been known to put Christmas music on and make a few Christmas cards. But generally start in earnest first part of November. I have to 'feel' it. I can't create on demand all that successfully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I don't even start Christmas crafting until Thanksgiving - I'm with you - the fall holidays are my fave and they don't get enough air time! I LOVE Halloween stamps.
Yes! I could definitely use some more Halloween stamps lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I wish I could get into making Christmas in Jugly. But there is no way! I also love fall and while I don't make cards for Thanksgiving or Halloween, I do decorate for fall. Love the colours

On a cool and cloudy fall day I have been known to put Christmas music on and make a few Christmas cards. But generally start in earnest first part of November. I have to 'feel' it. I can't create on demand all that successfully.
I think that's the hard part for me too! The atmosphere is just not right. It's too hot in Arizona to be thinking about snow, hot drinks, and egg nog. I just wish there was more time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Whenever my Muse visits!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Not to tangent...but I have related Q. What kind of Halloween cards are you sending? Just Happy Halloween or invites to parties...do you send them to kids only or grown ups too? I love Halloween stamps and I have a bunch but I cant decide what to do now. I thought originally I would make party invites if friends wanted them...and I just skip over it year after year b/c I cant decide.

Since I also have the Jewish holidays in the fall..I have to at least start thinking about the designs soon, as that's my hardest part (though you wouldnt know it to look at my cards).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I usually start my Christmas cards in Jan. and do them until Aug. or Sept. Then I start on the Halloween and Thanksgiving cards. I love Halloween stamps and have tons and send cards to almost everyone I know since next to Christmas these are the most fun for me to make. This year I didn't start Christmas cards until June but I'm mostly doing dies and embossing folders this year instead of the Whipper Snapper snowmen I usually do and that take so long for me to color with pencils. I made 25 Christmas cards last month and I need around 70-75 so I've got a good supply even though I started late.

For decorations, I have framed cross stitch pieces that I have for every season and/or holiday and I use these year after year and that's my decorating plan.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I am starting my Halloween cards now and "thinking" about my Christmas cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I'm someone who normally thinks I've started early if I start my cards before the middle of November!Usually, I too cannot even think of Christmas during the rest of the year. However, this year I've actually managed to make at least half a dozen every month, and I can honestly say that I'm enjoying them now for two reasons. first, I've stopped the batch making, 6 of any card is my max. second, because I don't 'have' to make them, I can enjoy the process much more. Also, I rarely ever use whatever is being released in a certain year, so waiting for Christmas issues doesn't bother me. To be totally truthful, I have enough Christmas stamps and stencils to last me three lifetimes as it is.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 07-27-2016 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I need so many that cI make them year round. So already started like 8 years ago........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

ACK now! Stressing already.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
ACK now! Stressing already.
Nah... Enjoy summer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default How early do you plan to start Holiday Crafting

Because I am planning a Stamp A Stack Christmas workshop in September, I am getting my ideas nailed down. I also hope to get some samples done so the ladies can decide on which designs and how many of each.
We will be making 10 cards. I am also hoping to have a workshop on christmas tags and treat ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

Last month.

This year we are having the family tree and my tree. My tree is themed red, white and pearl. Unfortunately outside of traditional plain red, white and gold balls and a garland or two, I don't have much in the way of ornaments for my tree so I'm going to have to make some

I also want to make a few other Christmas home decor projects for the rest of the house. Plus i have to make 100 or so Christmas cards. No shortage of things to do, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I need so many that cI make them year round. So already started like 8 years ago........
Haha, I got a big chuckle out of this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't make Halloween or Thanksgiving cards. I will probably make 1 Halloween tag for a Trick or Treat bag for my little buddy next door.

I plan to start Christmas cards in August.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Not to tangent...but I have related Q. What kind of Halloween cards are you sending? Just Happy Halloween or invites to parties...do you send them to kids only or grown ups too? I love Halloween stamps and I have a bunch but I cant decide what to do now. I thought originally I would make party invites if friends wanted them...and I just skip over it year after year b/c I cant decide.

Since I also have the Jewish holidays in the fall..I have to at least start thinking about the designs soon, as that's my hardest part (though you wouldnt know it to look at my cards).
I just send Happy Halloween cards. I mostly make them because it's one of my favorite holidays and I think crafting with spooky elements is fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I usually start my Christmas cards in Jan. and do them until Aug. or Sept. Then I start on the Halloween and Thanksgiving cards. I love Halloween stamps and have tons and send cards to almost everyone I know since next to Christmas these are the most fun for me to make. This year I didn't start Christmas cards until June but I'm mostly doing dies and embossing folders this year instead of the Whipper Snapper snowmen I usually do and that take so long for me to color with pencils. I made 25 Christmas cards last month and I need around 70-75 so I've got a good supply even though I started late.

For decorations, I have framed cross stitch pieces that I have for every season and/or holiday and I use these year after year and that's my decorating plan.
Wow! That's a lot of cards. If I needed to make that many I would definitely start sooner than I do. I think I usually end up needing about 15 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

the day after Christmas... ( maybe the day after that)
because, I tend to do them OOAK and I am in charge of stocking stuffers
( so guess what is in mine?!) (and the first two guesses don't count lol)

I do the main push probably starting in Sept. but, I did make 4 cards per month to about April ish so far this year... ( I find it really hard to do them in the summer so, once it starts cooling off again then I can drag out the fall and Christmas and play)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Last year for the first time I started Christmas cards in July. I only make about 20! This was a involved design. I still didn't finish till early Dec. I always have to take a day off work, which is actually fun! Fire going, Christmas songs playing, mocha coffee to sip!

I liked doing Christmas cards in July. I won't start Halloween card till Oct. and Thanksgiving cards till November.

This year I'm going SIMPLE and I dought I'll start Christmas cards before November!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-29-2016 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Every year, I make at least one home-made gift for family and friends. Last year, I made personalized mini notebooks. Another year, I made mini card sets. Since it's quite a bit of work, I try to get started on it pretty early --- not just because it takes time to make all the gifts, but also to give myself a chance to shop for the materials over time (so it's not one huge expense at once). I do the same thing with other Christmas gifts. I shop throughout the year, especially if I come across a great deal/sale and spare myself the rush of having to buy everything at once in December.

Since I start thinking about gifts so early, I think about holiday cards too. I don't actually start making them until November, but I do go through my supplies early and check if I need anything. I know stamp companies release new winter-themed things around September and October, so I save a little bit of my budget just in case I come across a "must-have". I'm going to try and be good this year, though, and focus on only using my existing stash. We'll see how well that goes... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I'll be doing a variation of this card with a Night of Navy and silver. Maybe I'll use Midnight Muse to use some of it up! I ordered it by mistake! I think I'd like a darker blue tho.

This is from an old (2006-I think) saleabration set and I always wanted to make this card! I stumbled on the snowman punch a couple years ago at a SU sale.

This should be simple!
Attached Thumbnails
How early do you plan to start Holiday Crafting?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I start to plan that I am going to start doing them in about October...the reality every year is that I am doing them right up to Christmas Eve:rolleyes::o:o:o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 11:36 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Received 808 Likes on 529 Posts

I've started working on Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff already since I'm in Sue's Fall Themes swap. I'm probably going to try to nail down our Christmas card idea this weekend. I had an idea already but am second-guessing myself so I'll decide this weekend what to do. It's going to be hot and humid here in San Diego so I'm staying inside with the A/C on and stamping.:p Plus. my DS is totally into Christmas music right now and plays a lot of it on his little boombox. Puts me right in the holiday mood every time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks to a friend, Christmas cards are done! She likes them done early so we had a couple of days doing them together, about four different designs. We had a great time and thanks to Misti the stamping was impeccable! Also took a break and went out for lunch each time, definitely planning this each year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I'll be doing a variation of this card with a Night of Navy and silver. Maybe I'll use Midnight Muse to use some of it up! I ordered it by mistake! I think I'd like a darker blue tho.

This is from an old (2006-I think) saleabration set and I always wanted to make this card! I stumbled on the snowman punch a couple years ago at a SU sale.

This should be simple!
This is SUPER CUTE!!! Love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 01:45 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love making Christmas cards. Sometimes I start early and sometimes I start at Thanksgiving. I have designed a religious theme for this year, and I love it. Then I plan a fun secular card too. I used my Cricut Explore to make a cute die cut for the front of the card, and will stamp the inside of the card. It should go pretty fast and that is what I really needed. I'm happy I have the idea and design made already and saved as a project. Now all I have to do is line up the card stock and let the Cricut go to work!
I love to make Halloween cards too and will start on those soon! I may just design a treat box and hand out treats that way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post

You are one organized woman!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 05:29 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I make Christmas cards all year long, I aim for 3-5 a month, but usually don't make that many, but I did make 10 this month for Christmas in July challenges.

I don't usually do both Halloween and Thanksgiving cards, I usually choose one or the other. Crafting supplies are the only thing where I like the seasons to be out really early so that I can work at a more leisurely pace.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have over 250 done.. Only 275 or so to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 02:13 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
This is SUPER CUTE!!! Love it!
Thanks! I got the idea here but she got the idea from someone else. So if someone recognizes this and this is your design, thanks!!!

I always had only a few Christmas sets and REALLY enjoyed the serenity of using what I had.

Two years ago I loved soooo many of the SU Christmas sets I bought lots! I kind of miss the simplicity of "less"! I'm falling back on that trend and using this simple, sweet stamp.

I'm sure next year I'll be dipping into my stash that I got two years ago. By then they will be vintage in the stamping world! Ha Ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

I send one to each of my six grandkids, one to my cousin and one to my 96 year old aunt who still lives on her own, drives and is in good health! I want to be her if I live that long!!! Oh, yes just Happy Halloween!

I love fall-my favorite season and I love making Halloween cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have over 250 done.. Only 275 or so to go.
Do you sell them? I can't imagine you send out over 500 Christmas cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I decided to do Thanksgiving cards today. I only send about 10 but I'm glad to have them done.

(Stamps by Art Impressions. I just love all their stamps)
Attached Thumbnails
How early do you plan to start Holiday Crafting?-fullsizerender-7-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I donate them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Do you sell them? I can't imagine you send out over 500 Christmas cards.
My church sells ALOT of them. I also donate to my sisters church and some for my next box going to MD Anderson Cancer Center.

We have one of our twice a year sales in the bookstore coming up in Nov and I normally bring in an additional 1000 cards for that sale. Last year the Christmas sold out so fast my head was spinning. So making 500 Christmas this time around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #37  
Watercolor Wizard

Wow. That's a lot of cards to make (and donate).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Default Columbus Day

I've gotten in the habit of starting my Christmas card making and gift buying no later than Columbus Day weekend. I do a lot of baking and cooking for Christmas so need to have everything else done by the beginning of December. I go overboard for Halloween so will start all that in Sept. I just retired and kept getting asked what I was planning to do. I haven't needed to add one more thing to my to do list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 01:36 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Since I send out over 100 Christmas cards, I start in July with 5 or 10 at a time using 2 different designs. I do a few Halloween cards for my grandkids and about a dozen Thanksgiving cards. Meanwhile I love doing Fall cards using a variety of colors, stamps and dies starting in Sept. thru Thanksgiving.

I stay home on Black Friday and address all my envelopes and sign my Christmas cards which I mail on Dec. 1st. I keep a ring binder with all 100 names and which card I sent to each. I also print a color copy of the cards for each year.

Then I go to the mall on Monday while the sales are still on but the crowds are gone. Works every year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 01:40 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoxicatingartsView Post
I'm just curious what everyone's plans are. With Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas all bunched up so close I feel like I'm constantly skipping over Thanksgiving crafting and last year I even skipped Halloween cards so I could focus more on making decorations. I'm kind of thinking it's about time to get started on these cards! I also noticed that some stamp companies are going to release their winter products in August so it's not unthinkable to make these cards this early. I feel like the smaller stamp companies are skipping over Halloween and Thanksgiving though which makes me sad. Halloween cards are what got me started into card making :( .

So when do you plan on starting you holiday cards? Do you skip Halloween or Thanksgiving to focus on Christmas or another winter holiday? Are you planning on buying new supplies or just using what you bought last year?

I bought the Stamp of Approval box last year and only used maybe a quarter of the stamps so I think I'm set for this year between those, what I already had and some demo sets I'll be getting soon.
I don't do Halloween cards and very few Thanksgiving. I start making my Christmas cards and craft projects right after Christmas; around the middle part of Jan. and work on cards off and on throughout the year so when the time comes and as the holiday gets closer I am finished making my cards and they are ready to send out the day after Thanksgiving which gives me more time to think about our own family meal planning, baking,etc.
Working on cards throughout the year helps from not having a panic rush by waiting till the last minute in getting them finished before the holiday comes around.
Reply With Quote Likes