Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #41
Hardware Hotshot

How does resizing down to 80% help? Mine said 100% then 75%~ does 75% work too?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:43 PM   #42
Dirty Dozen Alumni

If you're uploading here, the optimum size is 640 pixels (width) by 480 pixels (height) or smaller. Then the photo uploading software doesn't have to resize your photo and it'll look better. It took me a while to pick up on that, lol.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #43
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by tashersView Post
If you're uploading here, the optimum size is 640 pixels (width) by 480 pixels (height) or smaller. Then the photo uploading software doesn't have to resize your photo and it'll look better. It took me a while to pick up on that, lol.
GET OUT!!! I never knew that! Or, at least, I can't remember ever knowing that . . .

Geeze, Tash--learn sumpin' new every day 'round here! Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #44
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Somehow I remember that and always resize the larger number to 640 and let the other number automatically adjust.

I'm also one who uses white cardstock, OTT lights, and generally the auto setting on my Digi Rebel camera to take pictures. One of the DTs I am on asks us to stage them, when I do that I generally go with a thematic approach with things that tie into the project somehow.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #45
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Julie I thought YOU were the one that told me about the 640 X 480 pixels!! I've had it written on a post it note stuck to my computer so that it is handy when I'm resizing!

I don't have a light box but use a piece of SU!'s white wrapping paper. I tape it to my storage drawers on the back of my work table and then use my desk light. I move the light around to get the 'dimensional' look that I want. This makes the white background seamless. I, too, use the little flower and get back and zoom in.
Attached Thumbnails
photography.jpg  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #46
Die Cut Diva

I've done a bunch of research on this and I have definitely improved my photos in the past few weeks. I actually put a tutorial on my blog about it as well.

I do use a home made light tent. I have photos of that on my blog as well. I do use a flash, but I have an upscale camera that allows me to reduce the output of the flash. In my tutorial, I took photos at different stages of my flash adjustment. My camera, a Nikon D40X can go anywhere from 0 (no compensation) to -3 or +3. I found the best for me is to use the -1, otherwise the photo was too dark, but any higher, it lost the contrast on the lighter colors.

I don't really have a setup that lets me get natural daylight, especially during the time when I am wanting to take the photos. This is the closest I have been able to come. I want to make a bit larger lightbox so I can take photos of larger cards and 3D projects. The only difficulty I have with my setup is getting color accuracy with reds, specifically Rose Red and Purely Pomegranate. I'm going to do some experimenting with the Tungsten setting on my camera.

I found out that all film and digital cameras are rated for daylight, which is much more blue than typical indoor lighting because of the blue sky. This is why you get yellowed photography indoors, especially with no flash. By adjusting the tungsten setting, you can filter out the yellow, making your colors more true to life under artificial lighting.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #47
Dirty Dozen Alumni

subscribing
Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #48
Forum Fanatic

I try to take my pictures during the day in natural sunlight. I use no flash and the "flower" mode too.

If I have to do it in the evening hours - since I am such a procrastinating night-owl, I use the white cardboard that comes in the DSP packs to make a white box. Then I shine every light in my office towards it and use the same settings as above. Since the card is surrounded by white, I just use the "auto fix" feature in my photo editing software and it fixes it right up!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #49
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Thanks for the tip! I think this is my missing link. I wondered why my photos looked better on my own computer than they do online!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #50
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDiegoGalView Post
I try to take my pictures during the day in natural sunlight. I use no flash and the "flower" mode too.

If I have to do it in the evening hours - since I am such a procrastinating night-owl, I use the white cardboard that comes in the DSP packs to make a white box. Then I shine every light in my office towards it and use the same settings as above. Since the card is surrounded by white, I just use the "auto fix" feature in my photo editing software and it fixes it right up!
I use Corel Photo Album 6, and I'd never tried the button called "quick fix" until I read your post. I just read it, and it's like magic! It immediately cleared all yellow tinges out of the photo and made the colors look amazing! Here are a couple of before and after examples:

Fishy Christmas Before

Fishy Christmas After

Quilted Snowflake Before

Quilted Snowflake After

To really see the difference, open two different browser windows or two tabs on Firefox, with the different photos in each one. Switch back and forth between them. It's really a dramatic difference, and the only thing I did was to "quick fix" in my software. The differences are especially dramatic in showing the true colors of the blues and reds. Just incredible!!

Thanks so much for that tip, I think I've just jumped my last photographic hurdle!!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 AM   #51
Die Cut Diva

That is an amazing difference. I have to see if I can figure out how to do this.

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 AM   #52
Die Cut Diva

That is an amazing difference. I only have the editing software that came with my digi rebel xti. Can it do this? Would someone walk my through it if it can? I'm not to swift on the 'puter.

My Gallery
Old 01-29-2008, 02:39 AM   #53
Die Cut Diva

That is an amazing difference. I only have the editing software that came with my digi rebel xti. Can it do this? Would someone walk me through it if it can? I'm not to swift on the 'puter.

My Gallery
Old 01-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #54
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just wanted to clarify that 640x480 pixels is the maximum optimum size. As long as both the width and height of your picture fall into this parameter, you should be good. So a picture that is 540x480 is fine, as is a picture that is 640x370, as is a picture 540x370. Don't go resizing your picture misproportionally just to make it exactly 640x480!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #55
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
LOL...... I'm a FAR cry from and expert when it comes to photography. I just bought what BadSherry told me to.
Same goes for me. I just bought what Sherry told me to, as well. I am no expert either...as a matter of fact I was so clueless that poor Sherry had to take me baby step by baby step when I first was invited to the Diry Dozen. I had always scanned before that.

I ended up purchasing the portable light tent that came with two lights on tripods but do not use the tent. I have no place to leave it up. I ditched the light tripods and purchased $9.00 electrician's clamp lights at Home Depot. I clamp the two lights on two open cabinet doors (hey it works) over my work area and shining down on my piece. I drape a white piece of fabric down over a shelf on my work area that allows for a seamless background. I use a camera that cost $160 and I think it is a Canon. I mean....after all...I only use it every day...but am I expected to remember the make. I use a tripod for the camera and use the little tulip and no flash and adjust my photo with Corel Paint Shop Pro. Sherry told me to buy that, too. My husband had to teach me how to do it but once I got it it was really easy.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #56
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkhedgehogView Post
I use Corel Photo Album 6, and I'd never tried the button called "quick fix" until I read your post. I just read it, and it's like magic! It immediately cleared all yellow tinges out of the photo and made the colors look amazing! Here are a couple of before and after examples:
Thanks so much for that tip, I think I've just jumped my last photographic hurdle!!
Glad I could help! Isn't it a wonderful feature?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #57
Kookie Creator

Just thought that I would say thank you for all of the wonderful tips. They were awesome. I tried the one on the stovetop using that lighting and I loved how it turned out!!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #58
Insane Embellisher

I have a mini photo studio in a box and I love it! I use it with the no-flash setting and tripod. Good luck!

My blog: Moved to the Mountains