Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you price stuff you are selling?

I have a couple of stamp sets that I would like to sell, but I struggle with knowing how much to ask for them. Do you include shipping in the asking price or add that on afterward? I don't want to price myself out of the market - I saw some SU sets on ebay for $50 (really?!?!) - but I do want to get a fair value.

One of the sets I'm thinking of is from 2008 and was $23.95 originally.

I know it depends on new or used, stained or not, etc. but if someone could give me a general idea (sell for half? a quarter? flat $5 per set?) I would truly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't pay attention to the asking price on Ebay; check the SOLD listings for a more accurate picture of what people are willing to pay. If you are selling on Ebay, that's the best way to price if you really want to sell. Selling on here, I think is a little different. I think that selling on here should be a little less cut throat. Not everyone agrees with me though Shipping is up to you but you should not expect to profit from shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with checking out eBay's completed auctions for a more accurate picture of what the market actually is. I always say that people are free to ask for whatever price they want on eBay-- the key is whether someone will pay it.

Another thing to consider is whether you are trying to get back a little bit of money or whether you just want the stuff out of your house. The more important getting rid of it is, the cheaper it should probably be.

But I also think there's nothing wrong with asking for, you know, 75% of the value or something and simultaneously saying that you're open to offers. Let's say you put up that $24 set, pricing it at $18... but you know you're willing to sell it for as little as $12. You might get someone who wants it for $18-- because they have wanted it FOR.EV.ER. Or maybe someone will send you a message and ask if you'll sell for $15-- less than you posted but more than your floor. That can be a win-win for both of you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Also, check out the buy/sell forum here. I used to stalk that forum and generally bought stamps between $5.00 & $12.00. I think you can tell what tends to sell and for how much by tracking sales there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2014, 05:01 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

You have received some good advice above. I just wanted to add that the popularity of the stamp set really drives the price. If you look around the BST board, there are some sets that people just aren't interested in, even at $5. They sit and sit and sit. And with the more popular sets, people are willing to pay in upwards of $20. From my experience recently, the animal sets are popular (D is for Dog, C is for Cat), and so are the Christmas sets (Snow Swirled, Snow Much Fun, etc). Medallion is also one that goes for a lot of money. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I look at the average price of what something sells on ebay. Then I subtract about 25 percent. Ebay and paypal fees take quite a chunk out of the profit. If I have tons to sell at a time I've filled a medium priority flat rate box and then taken pics of all the sets that fit in it. Then I sell it as a lot. That gets rid of a bunch at once!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #7  
ch
Mad Swapper

I tried selling some stamp sets--it was just too much trouble for the little money received. Find a worthy charity, a women's shelter, a library, a school, a deserving person and donate your stamps.
Pass it on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I just look at what I paid for the set, if it's still up for sale, how long I've had it, what condition it's in, and go from there.

For instance, if I paid $14 for a set, it's been used a lot and stained, still up for sale, I might sell for $7-8. If it's not up for sale I might sell for only $3-4. Depends on how I'm feeling really.

I know, so very un-scientific of me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For the shipping, I would go ahead and package the sets as if they were ready to be mailed and take them to the post office and ask what the cheapest shipping would be... if that would be first class, or flat-rate priority, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I do what Tracy does without regard to checking how "coveted" the set is Another piece of advice, either include the shipping in the price or state a flat rate (like $1 or $2 per set). I find that the quicker the transaction can happen, the more likely it WILL happen. When you start messaging back and forth regarding shipping, it takes time and sometimes ends up without a sale. I have found it is better to state it up front. I have set prices that include shipping to the US. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
For the shipping, I would go ahead and package the sets as if they were ready to be mailed and take them to the post office and ask what the cheapest shipping would be... if that would be first class, or flat-rate priority, etc.
IMO, it's a lot easier to just invest in a small digital scale, weigh the packages myself, and use USPS.com to calculate the rate. I use my scale for both shipping and cooking, so it is a worthwhile little investment (under $20), and I don't have to make a special trip to the post office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the advice, ladies!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.

Last edited by biblesistersmom; 01-13-2014 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: grammar!
Reply With Quote Likes