Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Default How do you know when to stop buying?

I worry about whether I spend too much on SU! How do you know when to stop? As long as I can afford it, do I buy to my heart's content? As a Christian I just wonder if there's some limit to how much I should have, and no, I'm not the crazy stamp burning lady! I enjoy all my stamp stuff, but I always seem to want more. How do you gals set limits on yourselves, or do you?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirl
I worry about whether I spend too much on SU! How do you know when to stop? As long as I can afford it, do I buy to my heart's content? As a Christian I just wonder if there's some limit to how much I should have, and no, I'm not the crazy stamp burning lady! I enjoy all my stamp stuff, but I always seem to want more. How do you gals set limits on yourselves, or do you?
Setting limits has never been one of my strong points, so I just don't do it! LOL!! Can one ever have to many stamps?? Besides I share mine with friends whenever anyone needs to borrow one! (I justify my spending habit that way!)
Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #3  
The Digi-Freak

It is hard to set limits, isn't it??

I try to make sure I don't take $ from the family budget.... I have to sell stuff on ebay in order to buy! So if I have to dip into family $, the answer is NO! If I can get it outside of family $, the answer is ALWAYS YES! LOL

Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

It's a sickness...you can't stop yourself, so don't try!

Lisa
Old 02-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Before I became a demo I was in a hostess club and I usually limited myself to $20-30 per month. Now that I'm a demo, I use what I make from workshops and my override check to buy whatever I want. Now it doesn't come out of our family budget anymore and something like the spring mini will motivate me to have more workshops!
My nonstamping, weight-loss blog sort of.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

You all are right it is a SICKNESS, But I agree don't take from the family $ I sell things allso to justify the spending on stamps and SU products Next week I am putting in my second SAB order which will be over 200.00 .
Old 02-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Limit...what do you mean limit!?!?!

For me the sky is my only limit...just ask my dh

Old 02-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Habits learned from mom & dad - never take money from the family budget & don't spend money you don't have. I always have a SU 'wish' list but try to prioritize goodies according to what will 'fill in gaps' & what will be used more. I won't just buy to get something free (like a SAB set) or spend extra to get more hostess benefits - unless those extras will really be used. Don't get me wrong.... I have spend several hundred $$$$ at a time on occasion with a great big smile! Sort of like buying a pair of shoes - if they are comfy when I try them on, they don't go home with me.
Kitty
Old 02-02-2006, 04:52 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

i don't think there is cure for this disease.

As for the burning stamp lady, thats just retarted. If you know who you but first in your life which is God then there is no reason to think you are putting stampin up first if you know whats first and he knows whats first in your heart as well. There should also be things that you are passionate as well like your hobbies. For the burning stamp lady she took it to the extreme, she should of just checked herself and thought "Maybe I am spending to much time on this and not on God, maybe I should hold back a little." Not burn any and everything that was a craft item. KWIM??
Old 02-02-2006, 05:19 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

I think you've asked a very valid question. First of all, does your DH agree with how much you spend (even if it's your own money or doesn't come from the family budget)? I think a husband and wife should agree on on-going expenses like this. Also, does your DH wish that you could help a charity more, but you don't have the money? Perhaps that money could come from your SU! budget. Or, you are both happy with your giving. Finally, do you buy things and then let them sit unused for an extended period or do you buy things that you use right away?

I think your answers to those three questions and a brief discussion with your DH will guide you to your answer. It's different for everyone. BTW, asking a bunch of stampers is kind of like asking a bunch of drunks if you should stop drinking. Of course you shouldn't!

Hope this helps.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Old 02-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirl
As a Christian I just wonder if there's some limit to how much I should have, and no, I'm not the crazy stamp burning lady!
Hey, it's a perfectly valid question! The admonition is simply to put nothing else on a pedestal higher than God in your life. Burning everything like that lady described in her blog was a bit extreme, IMO, but I guess I can understand the thinking behind it. Sometimes you have to do something drastic to divorce yourself from things that have become idols.

The very fact that you are wondering about this tells me that your heart is in the right place and you want to do the right thing. I say follow your instincts and your conscience.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 02-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't know if this helps any. I am a Christian as well and I have had simillar thoughts. I agree with what has been posted above. I also can say that as I have been stamping longer and my collection has grown I am smarter about getting what I know I will use. I find I "need" less. I have had to thin my collection down quite a bit through the BST forum and ebay. It feels good to rid yourself of the ones that you thought you would use but didn't.

I don't do impulse orders. If I want stuff I make a list. I analyze the things on there. Do I really have a use for it. Do I want it just because someone did something cool with it. Can I use it for both Stamping and Cardmaking. And then, do I have the money for it. I even thinned out an order recently that I probably could have pulled off, but thought I should hold back a bit.

When I stamp I really use it as a time that is a destresser. I have my laptop in my stamp room and I listen to radio broadcasts of some of my favorite radio preachers. I will put the prayer list up from Wed night prayer meeting and pray for those people, or I will just use it as introspective time. (Unless it is something crazy like VSN!!!

I know this is my talent. I have tried many crafts and this is definitely up my alley. I also know that I can use it for ministries. Lots of ladies on the board use the cards they make and donate to nursing homes or organizations that help soldiers, terminally ill children . . . . God tells us to enjoy the world, just keep it from becoming an idol. There are definitely times when i am realizing that I am eating, drinking, dreaming stamping, and that is a good wake up call. Is stamping evil? No.. Anyone can let anything become an idol in their life, clothes, husband, job, kids.

I like your train of thought though and like someone else posted it shows your thoughts are in the right place.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Old 02-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

You can stop?????????????????
Maddee 2 years
Old 02-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Well, I don't really have a "family budget" to worry about, but I do try to limit my spending to what is coming in from my business. I must admit that I am currently "over" budget this month due to attending Leadership, but I have enough classes and workshops to make up for the overage by the end of the year.

I guess it just has to be a healthy balance. God must come first in life. So far I'm at a nice balance. I could spend less, but I'm not at a point of overkill.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm not a demo, so I follow MamaK's philosophy - sell the old stuff on eBay to get the new stuff. In fact I listed 5 auctions today to try to get some cash flow for the Spring Mini!! Boy, do I HATE to be disciplined!!

Live well...Laugh often...Love much...

SCS Member #1204
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/darleenstamps
Old 02-02-2006, 07:33 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I've found there are LOTS of ways to bring stamp addiction & faith or values into alignment. I have a stamp addiction. I admit it. My home office has turned into a craft studio (thankfully hubby's an artist, so he understands). I only spend money I have left over after my income takes care of its share of family expenses, and I'm lucky enough that there's quite a bit left over. So... rather than stressing about not giving enough, I took a cause I'm passionate about - cat rescue - and started making cards for my favorite organization to sell at fundraisers. The cards don't sell as well as I'd wished, BUT... and here's the big BUT... they really catch people's attention. And that brings them to the fundraising table after looking at all the cute kitties in need of a home. And that's when the straight cash donations come, or they buy bigger ticket fundraiser items.

So, find a way to use your addiction to serve in a way that's meaningful to you. Can you donate cards to church fundraisers? Can you sell the supplies you haven't touched in over a year on eBay and donate the proceeds?

Think out of the box. While God and faith are obviously the higher priority, your stamping addiction can serve, too! After all, where do you think your talent & passion comes from?

BTW, my avatar is a kitty that the cat rescue I mentioned adopted to me a year and a half ago. Every time someone tries to imply that I'm "cheating" by "just donating homemade cards" and "doing something I love" or "it's not the same as helping people"... well, I just take a look at her, remember the pieces of her history that we've been able to compile or intelligently guess at (enough to break your heart, especially as sweet, affectionate and loving as she is!), and I know I'm doing the right thing. You will, too, in your heart.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maironad
I've found there are LOTS of ways to bring stamp addiction & faith or values into alignment. I have a stamp addiction. I admit it. My home office has turned into a craft studio (thankfully hubby's an artist, so he understands). I only spend money I have left over after my income takes care of its share of family expenses, and I'm lucky enough that there's quite a bit left over. So... rather than stressing about not giving enough, I took a cause I'm passionate about - cat rescue - and started making cards for my favorite organization to sell at fundraisers. The cards don't sell as well as I'd wished, BUT... and here's the big BUT... they really catch people's attention. And that brings them to the fundraising table after looking at all the cute kitties in need of a home. And that's when the straight cash donations come, or they buy bigger ticket fundraiser items.

So, find a way to use your addiction to serve in a way that's meaningful to you. Can you donate cards to church fundraisers? Can you sell the supplies you haven't touched in over a year on eBay and donate the proceeds?

Think out of the box. While God and faith are obviously the higher priority, your stamping addiction can serve, too! After all, where do you think your talent & passion comes from?

BTW, my avatar is a kitty that the cat rescue I mentioned adopted to me a year and a half ago. Every time someone tries to imply that I'm "cheating" by "just donating homemade cards" and "doing something I love" or "it's not the same as helping people"... well, I just take a look at her, remember the pieces of her history that we've been able to compile or intelligently guess at (enough to break your heart, especially as sweet, affectionate and loving as she is!), and I know I'm doing the right thing. You will, too, in your heart.

Well said! You managed to express what I wanted to, but couldn't figure out how to phrase.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I certainly can understand. I just started stamping and have myself out buying more! I just spent $71 for stamps and things at a place that sells at discount prices with a membership. I sure felt guilty after because I did not realize how much it was going to come to! I have to say that recently I decided I would not spend anything for a while. I now ask myself do I really need that? It is very hard but I think I need to do more projects with what I have. Of course, I will be going shopping tomorrow since my in-laws & bil gave me gift certificates for my birthday. So I am going shopping guilt free
Old 02-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmeeks
You can stop?????????????????

Exactly what I was going to ask!

Alison

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

DH and I have always set aside a certain amount of money per month that we can spend on whatever we want. So if I choose to spend that money on stamps I can. I do my best to not go over that amount. And if I want to place a large order, I just save for a few months. DH and I both have our personal "obsessions" and found this was the only way to keep ourselves in control. Because it does add up fast. I also spend a lot of time figuring out what I want to order, to make sure I don't buy something I won't use.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 02-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

How do you know when to stop buying?

I think you have to have a healthy sense of self-knowledge, and then you have to look at what you will actually use, and what is just a "nice to have." Balance is a very good thing.

View My Gallery
Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

As a christian, use your stamps....send raks....use your stamps as a witnessing tool, I make baptism cards for our churches entire sunday school kids......I totally see my addiction as a way to make someone else's life enlightened....and that is part of christianity.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

When my DH and I set down the budget for the year we include $50 per month to go to my SU order. If I buy more from SU, than I have to take it out of my cash for the month. So, to begin a perfect month, I have $250 total for my fun money, but $50 earmark for SU. So if I only spend $50 at SU that month, I have $200 left to spend on lunchs with friends, make-up, stamps and paper I buy outside of SU. So I have a little flexibily, if I over spend on SU, I just have to underspend with the rest of my money for the month.

The budget guidelines are so clear (at least to me and my DH) that I can't accidently mess up. I guess it's good to know when I mess up I meant to do it! And I do occaissonly mess up, but least I know how much I can make my SU order out for. If I know I'm spending $50, then I can prioritize and get the things I want the most.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Old 02-02-2006, 10:49 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Everyone needs a stress outlet. You have a lot of good advise going on here and the gist of most of it is, you can't stop! I have a 'real' job that is extremely stressfull. The way I let go from work is come home, sit at my stamp desk, look at a stamp, and start creating. Takes my mind off of what I had to go through during the day and lets me be creative. ALL my inspiration comes from this site. All the wonderful people that are so creative that use these cards as a way to express themselves and so many of them are right up my alley! I, too, am a Christian and never thought of this as taking away from that. When I come up with a design, I make 20. I take a large variety to work, I have them in categories from A=anniversary to Z=zoo! I sell them for $4 each or 3 for $10 and make about $50 a week just at work (there are 12 of us there) AND, I give them in bundles to my mother to send out to her friends. She is 87 and loves to write to all her friends she can't see anymore and they enjoy getting something 'hand made'. Same thing with my stepmother, who enjoys them even more! She loves the Sympathy and get well cards and the thinking of you ones to send out to people in her church that need to know that someone is thinking about them. I give both of them at least 50 to 75 cards each a year to share. If you like, think of this as a donation or tithing, because that is just what it is. It isn't cash, but it is caring and sharing. You could send that money you spent on those cards to the church, or send the cards to someone that needs encouragement, help, uplifting, or sympathy. I would rather give the cards, and some money.
In the end, you do what you feel good about. I feel good about sharing what I love and making someone else feel wanted and cared for and thought about.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieber
DH and I have always set aside a certain amount of money per month that we can spend on whatever we want. So if I choose to spend that money on stamps I can. I do my best to not go over that amount. And if I want to place a large order, I just save for a few months. DH and I both have our personal "obsessions" and found this was the only way to keep ourselves in control. Because it does add up fast. I also spend a lot of time figuring out what I want to order, to make sure I don't buy something I won't use.
We do this too. I can't say anything about him eating lunch out a lot or buying computer gizmos or games. He can't say anything about my stamps. Plus I even get to spend a bit more. If I have 50 birthday cards to buy per year at $5/pop at Hallmark, then I should get to spend $250 on supplies to make them, or at least a chunk of that. I also make almost all birthday gifts for kids and adults, so that counts as well. Plus my scrapbooks are not just for me and my enjoyment, it's for family history and preserving memories. But, that all being said, I try not to be overly extravagant. I have over 400 SU sets and I recently decided to "loan" some of them that I don't use to my younger and poorer sisters and SIL's. That way I can get my hands on them if I need them again, but I don't have to store them.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Old 02-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
This is a funny dilema isn't it. It's the woman and crafts thing because I don't think men do guilt. No one would say to a man who works on cars, golfs, does wood work or whatever, "Gee, you have to many .... don't you think that's unChristian?" LOL!!!!
I have been involved in stamping for 17 years now, I was a demo for 12 years before retiring this past summer. I have A LOT of stamps and such, some I bought through being a demo, some were gifts and some are from friends who no longer stamp so I'm "holding" their stamps. And very active in our church this entire time. But it always breaks my heart when people come over, look at my stamp room and make comments that hurt. They've been comments like we've all heard, "you have too much time on your hands", "how much money do you take from your family", "don't you have enough yet!", "how can you afford at that stuff", "I really don't think you need that much stuff, you should give it to someone (usually them)". Etc....
Trust me, those people don't get invited back over to my house. It's sad that they don't see the art and sharing, it's all over my house, my yard and out to people, even them, unfortunately to them it's just the stuff. I think it's a perspective thing. They don't craft so they just don't know. But trust me, they have a lot of stuff that I would never think of buying because I would rather buy stamps and such. As evidenced by all the trips to the mall, stores and home parties I'd get invited to. I'm not sending insults to those who sell for other home party companies or like to buy from them, it's all a matter of choices. I choose to spend my money on stamps over ....., LOL!!! But I never say hurtful things to them about their choices.
When my kids were smaller and I had less stamping stuff (but I was a demo then). I would drag the kids and all my stuff to church, we'd set up tables, lay out stuff and I'd teach a FREE class on a technique or something. We'd have 10 ladies and their toddlers running around the gym (or watching movies). We'd gab, have lunch and just stamp the day away. We'd do this once a month and it was a great time of fellowship. We'd make cards for ourselves, for others and for the church to use, we'd also invite non church friends and introduce them to the church this way. I didn't sell on church grounds, that's against the rules, but I loved the sharing part and gained a few closer friends and customers this way. I liked doing this because it got people to use the stuff they had bought and it was fun.
Time has changed, the kids are all older (my oldest is graduating from High School this year) and a lot of us have day jobs. But it was a great time, I miss it sometimes to be honest.
So back to the question, how do you know when to stop buying? For me it was several reasons. By going back to work I had less time to stamp or shop for stamping supplies so I decided to use my time for stamping rather than shopping. I had been a demo and I got tired of the business/customer end of stamping, I decided to just stamp for fun with what I had and for who I wanted to stamp for. I really do have a lot of images (over 6,400 individual images, an alphabet counts as 28 images) that I wasn't using as much as I could have, because I was always looking for the next set. And a final reason was that the designs are starting to repeat a bit, images were becoming similar to an image I already have.
I have no regrets about past purchases. I use what I have still and I share with those who need and appreciate the caring and sharing that goes along with stamping and crafting. To me being able to craft is part of my life, just like family, food, worship, music and all the other things we do that makes us beautiful women.
Enjoy this art and craft of stamping, it's a great way to share and care.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahsCreations
I think you've asked a very valid question. First of all, does your DH agree with how much you spend (even if it's your own money or doesn't come from the family budget)? I think a husband and wife should agree on on-going expenses like this. Also, does your DH wish that you could help a charity more, but you don't have the money? Perhaps that money could come from your SU! budget. Or, you are both happy with your giving. Finally, do you buy things and then let them sit unused for an extended period or do you buy things that you use right away?

I think your answers to those three questions and a brief discussion with your DH will guide you to your answer. It's different for everyone. BTW, asking a bunch of stampers is kind of like asking a bunch of drunks if you should stop drinking. Of course you shouldn't!

Hope this helps.
I've enjoyed everyone's comments so far, but this one sort of stopped me. I don't think dh has any idea how much I spend. We have no budget. Things are usualy a bit tight in January as we recover from Christmas because we pay cash for EVERYTHING. We have not put anything on a cc in over two years. If we don't have the $ we don't buy it. I have a "comfort zone" on our account. As long as we don't get to that, I generally buy all the clothes and stamps I want.

I do let things sit for QUITE a while before they get used. I am a hoarder and have quit that for the most part. We recently lost two hs boys at our school and it has affected many aspects of my life. Now, when I'm in my stampin' camper, I just use whatever I want, because I may be making the last card or page I'll ever make, or the card I send may be the last card that person ever gets. Why be chintzy?

Oh, and we do tithe and donate regularly, wouldn't even consider not giving back to the Lord since it's all his anyway.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommi
When my DH and I set down the budget for the year we include $50 per month to go to my SU order. If I buy more from SU, than I have to take it out of my cash for the month. So, to begin a perfect month, I have $250 total for my fun money, but $50 earmark for SU. So if I only spend $50 at SU that month, I have $200 left to spend on lunchs with friends, make-up, stamps and paper I buy outside of SU. So I have a little flexibily, if I over spend on SU, I just have to underspend with the rest of my money for the month.

The budget guidelines are so clear (at least to me and my DH) that I can't accidently mess up. I guess it's good to know when I mess up I meant to do it! And I do occaissonly mess up, but least I know how much I can make my SU order out for. If I know I'm spending $50, then I can prioritize and get the things I want the most.
This sounds like a good idea to me. We don't have a budget, but I could do one for myself.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Hey, it's a perfectly valid question! The admonition is simply to put nothing else on a pedestal higher than God in your life. Burning everything like that lady described in her blog was a bit extreme, IMO, but I guess I can understand the thinking behind it. Sometimes you have to do something drastic to divorce yourself from things that have become idols.

The very fact that you are wondering about this tells me that your heart is in the right place and you want to do the right thing. I say follow your instincts and your conscience.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. My method is to make up my order and let it sit for a week or so. If I feel good about it, I place it. If I'm feeling reluctant, I cut it WAY down. I keep stuff I have to have to demo, such as cs, and cut out some of the extras I just WANT! I don't hear voices in my head, I just sort of know if I'm being too extravagant. I just wondered how everyone else did it. I try not to spend too much because it's no fun if you feel like you're being a poor steward, and stampin's all about the fun!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Stargirl,
I'm not religous, but I often give things up for Lent- as a personal growth experience, not as atonement or anything. Anyway, one year I gave up all purchases of new craft supplies and aimless shopping for them. It was a good experience to see how much I missed the shopping, when I missed, it, why I missed it, etc. I think if you are concerned, maybe tell youself you'll take a break from catalog shopping and buying for several weeks. Once you know that you can quit you will be less concerned, but it will also allow some reflection to make sure you aren't buying to fill a need that can't be filled with craft supplies.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I'm sorry but I must have missed the crazy stamp burning lady story. Where can I find it? Curious minds want to know.

As for where to stop, I think it's OK as long as your family's budget isn't suffering.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:21 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

http://www.wellspringministries.com/testimonies.html

Here is the link to the story everyone is referring too...

Here is the link to the thread

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=116175

Vicki
Old 02-03-2006, 11:31 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I don't torment myself by feeling guilty about something I enjoy. Life is short. Some might consider my expenditures a waste...but I do pay the majority of the bills in our household and work full time. We don't live high on the hog nor carry credit card debt. So if I indulge myself here and there, I don't really think it is anyone's business but my own. Everyone has their thing that may seem extravagant to others but very necessary for them...specialty coffees in the morning, getting nails or hair done weekly, clothing shopping sprees, having house cleaners or personal trainers, going out to dinner or drinks or movies frequently, etc. To me if that one indulgence makes you happy and it is not hurting anyone...giddeup!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurok
I don't torment myself by feeling guilty about something I enjoy. Life is short. Some might consider my expenditures a waste...but I do pay the majority of the bills in our household and work full time. We don't live high on the hog nor carry credit card debt. So if I indulge myself here and there, I don't really think it is anyone's business but my own. Everyone has their thing that may seem extravagant to others but very necessary for them...specialty coffees in the morning, getting nails or hair done weekly, clothing shopping sprees, having house cleaners or personal trainers, going out to dinner or drinks or movies frequently, etc. To me if that one indulgence makes you happy and it is not hurting anyone...giddeup!

I agree, we all spend our money different ways, It is easy for someone to look at someone else and deem the way they spend their money is a waste. It could be anything, if it is not a priority for you then you may see it as a waste. That was a big eye opener for me when my husband was deployed and I was managing the finances. I found if I went to the grocery store with a plan I could save about 50 dollars as opposed to going in without a plan. Hmmm, wonder where those extra 50 dollars went . . . . .
Megan arrived 3/16/09