Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-07-2004, 11:36 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you find a topic?

Miss Beate: I had a friend over for a few hrs to play w/ stamps & we got to talking about how we'd both like to try a gel card. I thought just going on to splitcoaststampers & typing in gel cards in the search box would give me exact directions on how to assemble the whole thing. I have a good idea, but I wanted it to look tidy like y'alls. First, cards that didn't have anything to do w/ gel cards popped up w/ gel cards, but I found no explaination. Second, I went to Techniques, & then to Resources, & again, could not find an explaination. I did see a comment where someone had thanked you for explaining how to do it & then it was their card from that explaination that was posted. We spent too much time looking for it & never did.

My question is how do you find stuff like that quickly on the site.
Also, I was going to use blue sunburn gel because that's what I had on hand. Has anyone had success w/ that? Lastly, please guide me to where the topic of gel cards is explained...my friend will be back. Thank you for your time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2004, 12:29 PM   #2  
SCS Founder

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

think of the gallery search the same way you would as searching a dictionary - if you searched for 'gel card' in the dictionary you might not find anything. but if you search just for 'gel' you certainly would. when I search just for 'gel' there are quite a few samples that turn up. it's not perfect though - it also finds 'AnGELic'.

in the future though, we have plans to make finding what you want a little easier. we'll be expanding the Techniques Spotlight gallery, and adding more technique tutorials. we'll also do some things with the upload form so that techniques are 'choosable' from a list, instead of having to type them in. that way, people will more consistently fill out the form and particular techniques will be easier to find.

hope this helps,

Needs a sig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,035 Likes on 476 Posts

Juddaca- I thought I saw a tutorial on Gel Cards, but I didn't see it in resources or techiques, either. I"m sure I read some posts about it, but can't find them. I can tell you how I do a Gel Card though. I use my Square Punch for the front, and choose a light background for the backing. You'll need a small baggie, approx. 2x3 inches, some blue gel (I get mine from the Dollar Tree if I don't have any in the cabinet!), a piece of Window Sheet/Acetate, and some Fun Foam. Fun Foam and the baggies are both sold in craft stores like Michael's or Walmart's craft section. I got the fun foam 10 pieces for a dollar, so it's not much. The little baggies were near the Cake Decorating section at Walmart, by the Beads and DMC floss. They have about three sizes to choose from and won't be more than $3 for a pack of 50 or so. Okay....punch the part of the TOP piece of cardstock. You can use a wheel or stamp to put dots or bubbles all over the front. Then, stamp your fish on the piece of Acetate with Staz On and adhere behind the hole you made w/the punch. (Or Coluzzle, I keep forgetting you can make better holes with that, I don't have one though.) Okay, now put a little gel in the baggie. Not too much, because you don't want it to pop in the mail! Just a bit, and seal the baggie and squish it flat. What you're going to do is take a piece of Fun Foam that is cut to the Card Front size and then cut just enough from it to fit that Gel bag into. Align it with the window sheet first, because the Gel needs to be right behind the Fish you stamp. It's okay if the Gel bag is bigger than the window, but you don't want to see the foam through the window itself. Just adhere the back of the card front to the front of the Fun Foam/Gel Bag you just made, that will be the middle of the card. Then put that whole thing on a folded card. The result will be that you see the gel behind the fish, as if he is floating in water!
Reply With Quote Likes