Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #81
Cardstock Collector

I don't mind paying a little bit for a workshop or even a demo with a hands on portion. I think that the small fee ensures that the people there really want to be there and are serious about it. But what I do have a problem with is calling it a materials fee. I'm really irritated when the actual materials used in no way add up to the materials fee. Just say it's $5 to participate with materials included and I'm much happier. But say the materials cost $5 when it's obviously much less than that, and I get really annoyed.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #82
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by thestampingstamperView Post
charge for workshops?
I went to a SU! party about two weeks ago and the demo charged $5 for supplies. She made three cards that we were way complex (not something that I would ever do) and most people lost interest because there was so much detail. I totaled up the cost for each cards supplies and there was no way that each card was over $1.50.
I used to be a demo and would never have charged money for a workshop, but I would also complain about the cost of supplies that would cut into my profit margin. When a demo adds up all of the odds and ends it can get pricey...

What do you think?
I am thinking about hosting a party, but feel weird saying, "Hey, come to my party and order stuff so that I can get the hostess benefits, and by the way it is also gonna cost you $5."
If the primary purpose of the get-together (party) is to learn techniques, then there should be a charge; there may be some sales at the 'learning' party, but selling product is not the reason for the party. The charge should cover supplies and printed handouts of instructions provided by the demo.

If the primary purpose of the get-together (party) is sales, then there should not be a charge. Rather than Make and Takes, samples of projects will be displayed, and ways to use products will be demonstrated.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #83
Compulsive Stamper

Only $5, all the classes I went to have been $15 for three cards. All the cards have been very simple, not worth $5. I can't get people to come to a party anymore because of the cost, so i don't host parties anymore.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #84
Matboard Maniac

I always do parties for free. However party projects are less detailed and less expensive for me. I also teach a weekly class and charge a supply fee fo each class. I think that when you go to a party you should not be paying a fee. You are there as a guest, not a paying attendee.

I have offered my hostesses the option of having a "Workshop In Your Home" for a fee to each guest. These projects are much more expensive for me to put together and generally the hostesses that choose these parties are customers who have been with me for a while and because they know they are special projects and their friends are definately going to want to do it.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #85
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not a Demo and I have always paid the "workshop Fee", my Demo in California charged $10 made 5 projects and served dinner and drinks! That was more then worth the $10 bucks who can go have dinner and rinks oh and dessert for $10 and make 5 cards/projects???

She was always booked with no less then 20 ladies in attendance on any given month. She raffled off a few sets every month as well. She was the best demo and I would've paid $20 for her workshops she put ALLOT of work into them!!! HTH

I don't think the cost should be an issue UNLESS the demo's cards are not up to par... so to speak! KWIM??
Old 08-31-2008, 06:48 PM   #86
Insane Embellisher

I really like my demo, she is the best! Workshops cost 5.00 if you don't place and order for 25.00 . You make 3 or 4 projects! Plus she has all kinds of door prizes. She brings a snack and drink. We bring our own adhesive and scissors (she doesn't have a fit if you forget).For a party in my home, she always has a gift and you get to have what she makes. Most of the time we make 3 cards or a project with 1 or two cards. It's a time to learn new things or ideas. FUN! FUN! NO COST!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #87
Mad Swapper

IMO demos should only charge for a class for anyone not placing an order (at the events I've been too really though most everyone does place an order).
Maddee 2 years
Old 09-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #88
Stazon Splitcoast

My demo offers club, camp and workshops (parties).

For club, a group of six of us commit to spending at least $25 per month (This coincides with the catalog dates). Each month a different one of us is the hostess. The hostess brings a treat. My demo provides beverages and two projects. Each month she teaches us a new technique, and we also make a technique card to refer back to later. We also swap cards according to predetermined themes picked out a the first meeting. The hostess each month gets all of the hostess benefits of the total spent by the group.

Stamp CAMP is held on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon about the middle of the month. There is a charge for this as it's more of a class setting. If you decide to purchase SU merchandise at the camp of a certain amount, the fee for camp is put towards your purchase. You go home with 5 projects, usually three cards and two 3D items as well as instructions and a picture of the items in with the instructions. My demo also provides snacks and beverages for these events.

She also does workshops. If you decide you want to have a group get together in your home, you can have my demo come over, demonstrate SU stuff, and the hostess obviously provides the snacks and beverages and also gets all of the benefits at the party...no charge to the guests.

She also has an open house at the beginning of each catalog. We go over to her house, and she has items from the new catalog for us to look at. We do two projects using new sets, new cardstock, etc. There are door prizes. This is all at no charge to her customers.

She also has a retirement party at the end of each catalog. It includes door prizes, a couple of stamping projects, and other prizes. Again, she provides the snacks and beverages...all at no cost to the customers.

I am very lucky to have such a wonderful Demo and friend!!!
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings