Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face How do I send a card in a clear envie???

This would be my first time sending a card in a clear envie. Where do I write the address and how do I add postage to the envie (on the outside or inside)? It is a bulky card so I thought to send it in a clear envie.

Any advice/help/suggestions would be appreciated...the card is going out in tomorrow's mail.

Thanks much!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

The ones I have received have been addressed using a computer generated address label on the outside of the clear envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually compuer-generate both addresses andtrim to fit inside the envelope (to cover the back of the card). The postage, of course, would go on this side too, so the front of the card remains visible and not obstructed by stamps.

It costs more to mail a clear envelope because the machines cannot handle the slipperiness. I think the surcharge is 17-cents but I'm not absolutely sure of the amount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I think the postage has to be on the outside of the clear envie,
so it can be cancelled.
not sure, check w/ the PO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I have only mailed the clear envelopes with the postage and address (printed on an address label) on the outside of the clear envelope. It is my understanding that the problem with having to pay extra postage for "handling" is due to the fact that the machines at the post office can't process the card and it must be done by hand. I have never had this happen when I put the stamp and address label on the outside of the clear envelope. I have never added more postage than the weight required. I have also heard that different post offices handle this differently. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #6  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
I usually compuer-generate both addresses andtrim to fit inside the envelope (to cover the back of the card). The postage, of course, would go on this side too, so the front of the card remains visible and not obstructed by stamps.

It costs more to mail a clear envelope because the machines cannot handle the slipperiness. I think the surcharge is 17-cents but I'm not absolutely sure of the amount.
Quoting 'coz there is no edit button:

The postage goes on the outside of the envelope. Just be sure the address info is visible (whether you place it on the inside or the outside of the envelope).

The surcharge doesn't seem to be dependent upon where the address is placed (inside or outside the envelope) but (from several past threads) it does seem to vary by PO on whether or not it is charged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I have only mailed the clear envelopes with the postage and address (printed on an address label) on the outside of the clear envelope. It is my understanding that the problem with having to pay extra postage for "handling" is due to the fact that the machines at the post office can't process the card and it must be done by hand. I have never had this happen when I put the stamp and address label on the outside of the clear envelope. I have never added more postage than the weight required. I have also heard that different post offices handle this differently. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Well, from my personal experience. I've never mailed a clear envelope but have had customers at The UPS Store that I work at do it.

They generally place a slip of paper in the envelope with the addresses labeled. Yes, postage is extra if it is not machinable.

Buying postage at the PO is your best bet.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just print labels for the envelopes both the to and the return label. Also the postage stamp MUST be on the outside so they can cancel it. I have NEVER put more than the .42 or first class stamp on the clear envelopes and they always get where they are going. I just mailed 40 for Thanksgiving two weeks ago. I have used clear envelopes exclusively for almost 4 years now and have had nothing but good luck. I do use brads, eyelets and bows.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I use clear envelopes all the time.. I do cut a piece of printer paper the size of the card and write my mailing info on it.. slip it in the envelope in front of the card, seal the envelope and put the stamp on the outside. The PO here always charges me a .20 non-machineable charge. I am used to it now to buy me book of stamps and then enough .10 cent ones for each of them.

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tips you've gotten here. I just wanted to add that I LOVE getting cards in clear envelopes; it's so cool. Good luck with your sending; your recipient is sure to have a "wow" moment when they open their mailbox to find your card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 AM   #12  
ked
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I use them all the time - well, when I SEND cards, that is. But I just slap a return address label in the corner, and a blank label for the other addy, and add a stamp. I've always used just the one stamp, too, and they've I've never had any problems. Probably depends on your PO, or maybe I've just been extremely lucky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 05:08 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Morning All! Thank you so much for all of the advice and suggestions. I have always sent my cards in a white envie and put extra postage on there if the card is too bulky to go through the machine (I get charged an extra .20 cents). I tried to put my card in the white envie last night, but the flap wouldn't close because I put a wide organdy ribbon and some clear mini skittles on it too for some bling. Also, I never have enough clear envies to use to send cards in so I just use them if I going to give them away by hand.

Thank you so much to all for the information. I hope the recipient gets my card next week!
Reply With Quote Likes