Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I find a good upline?

I let my SU demoship lapse last July and I really miss being a part their website as well as the demo side of SCS. With the great promo going on for SAB I'm considering signing up again. However, my original upline is no longer with SU. I've never met any of the other demos in my area. I went to "find a demo" and looked up who is in my area. Only a few have an SU website and none of them have any events listed. I even sent an email before Christmas to the one closest to me asking about a new catalog. She just told me to email her again after the holidays and then never contacted me again. I purposely didn't contact her to see if she would follow up. It doesn't appear that there is anyone that is really active and I think that would be a big plus to be a part of a larger group of demos. Are there any groups of distant demos that have a lot of interaction that I could join? Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some very successful cross country groups, just look at Tracy and how SCS started! ;) I guess the best thing you can do is to think of all the demos you've met here. Pick someone who has been active around here and "interview" them. See if they are willing to have long distance downlines. Ask them questions about the support they give. Sorry I don't have better suggestions. This really is tough. Maybe call DS and see if there are some more active demos in your area. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with Michelle in that you should interview potential upline. Think about what kind of support you want from an upline and then ask those questions. If you are business minded, you probably want an UL that is business minded too. If you are "hobby" then you might want an UL that will inspire you.

My guess is that you will be able to find a great UL for you right here on SCS. Most of us have a link to our website in our signature line--start out there and see who you find!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Just because a demo doesn't have a website or have events listed doesn't mean they aren't an active demo or part of a larger demo group...

Your best bet would be to contact a few in your area and basically interview them...to see what suits your needs and wants in an upline...for some it may be just someone to sign up under...others might need some handholding and want an upline that has the time to work with them...others want to be part of a larger group that have regular demo meetings and such
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I'm in a situation where I can't always get together with my upline and her sidelines, but I have gotten in contact with other ladies in my area via SCS. We do get together and stamp and it's lots of fun. My group also shares great ideas via e-mail and I know what when I need an answer or some help someone is always a phone call or e-mail away.

Good luck in getting someone to get back to you. I know there are plenty of Demo's who'd be answering your request for information in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysstampin'View Post
I agree with Michelle in that you should interview potential upline. Think about what kind of support you want from an upline and then ask those questions. If you are business minded, you probably want an UL that is business minded too. If you are "hobby" then you might want an UL that will inspire you.

My guess is that you will be able to find a great UL for you right here on SCS. Most of us have a link to our website in our signature line--start out there and see who you find!
Great suggestions here, and from others too. What kind of demo you want to be should definitely play a part in picking your upline. If you want to hold a lot of events and be really active, then someone who does those things themselves is probably a good fit for you.

Definitely do some interviewing. Ask things like: If they already have a downline, what do they do for them? How often do they hold team meetings? What kind of other support do they offer? Make sure you're going to get what you need from your upline.

Although my upline is 500 miles away, she's a really good upline. Doesn't hurt that she's my sister, either ;-) . And my 4th upline is AWESOME, even though she's just about as far away. My point is, you don't necessarily have to live near your upline to get good support. (However, if you want to find a group to get together with locally for stamping, that's different, and you should probably do more searching closer to home.)

I've also heard a lot of people here say that SCS is their upline! I know there's that "orphaned demos" group and they give a lot of support to each other.

OK, as usual I've rambled on and on. Good luck!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I always advocate interviewing an upline before anyone signs up to make sure that the upline has the resources and supportive attitude a new demonstrator will need to get her business started. And I would say that a business oriented demonstrator is a good upline regardless of the type of demonstrator one plans to be, because you never know what will happen and when you might want to turn a hobby into a business. It's much easier to do that if your upline is business oriented and has the resources to help you. Plus, who says that business oriented demos aren't creative stampers as well?

There are many demonstrators on SCS who have long distance downlines and they may have various resources that they use to support their downlines like team websites, blogs, yahoo groups, etc. Even though my upline lives in the same town as me, I find I mostly communicate with her through e-mail and phone calls anyway, so the location of her home is not really a factor in the amount of support she provides me or the rest of her downline.

You sound like you know what you want from an upline, so I would recommend interviewing several demonstrators, some who live near you (as Jenni said, they may be great uplines even though they don't have an SU web site) and some that you've met through SCS. Ask them all the hard questions you can think of and maybe even ask if you can talk to one of their downlines. It takes a little bit of work up front to select an upline that's right for you, but it's so worth it in the end!

Good luck in your selection!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I have to agree with everyone else. A local demo isn't necessary! Also, MAKE SURE you interview. I asked my upline about 200 questions. She's not local, but she's always there for me when I need help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to agree with interview your upline. You know what you want...now find someone who can do it!! My upline is on the other end of the state...soon to move to another state altogether...you can make it work...

Ink Fumes Make You Crazy-->Inksanity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I agree!! interview them!! I know I signed up under my original upline because I knew her and i was comfortable with her; however, she dropped before I let my demo lapse and I just recently came back but I signed up under my 3rd upline because she holds "stamp night" just for fun and I always seem to get more answers out of her than I did with my original upline. My current upline lives good 30 miles from me, but she's awesome.

Your best shot i would say is interview those local and not local; you never know who you'll find. I've heard some people have long distance upline and they're great.

Good luck in your venture
www.jensmessystudio.com
www.facebook.com/jensmessystudio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Default Thanks for all the suggestions

You all are so great. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. It's made me really think about what I do want in an upline. I was so excited when I first signed up back in 2003. My brand new upline was my only link to SU. She introduced me to stamping and was my demo. I got so caught up in this new hobby that I decided to sign up for the discount. She told me that she went to upline meetings where they did swaps and make & takes and it just sounded like so much fun. But she left SU (due to starting a full-time job) and never introduced me to this group. Her upline never contacted me and I didn't even know who she was. I didn't realize then that I could call SU and get that info. So I just did my own thing for four years. So looking back I think I wanted ideas and someone to stamp with. I just need to decide how important it is to have a local group.

Thanks to everyone who PM'd me. I will respond sometime today. I'm just really thinking about what I want to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Where in Indiana are you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 02:21 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Where in Indiana are you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Where in Indiana are you? There are lots of fabulous Hoosier Demonstrators! We just need to find you one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Where in Indiana are you? There are lots of fabulous Hoosier Demonstrators! We just need to find you one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Good luck!!

Sorry to hijack the post a little bit, but CHERIS!! I'm in your neighboring state! I'm in IL about 30 miles east from St. Louis!
www.jensmessystudio.com
www.facebook.com/jensmessystudio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

it's sometimes the luck of the draw.. I interviewed my upline, attended her classes to see her style, looked at the # of years in stamping and her commitment. Then 3 months into my demonstratorship..she announces a pregnancy..while this is just wonderful for her, she kinda dropped the ball everywhere else (or at least to me)even though the baby is now nearly a year old, I barely get a response from an e-mail..no help, no info on her classes and just got an announcement that she's..taking a back seat for awhile. She's a fantastic stamper and really has great style..I just joined at a time that was difficult for her to continue. Fortunately, I have a neighbor (met through the UPS man!) that is a fantastic support and I truly appreciate her..I just wish she was making the commission my upline is off me..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonblueView Post
it's sometimes the luck of the draw.. I interviewed my upline, attended her classes to see her style, looked at the # of years in stamping and her commitment. Then 3 months into my demonstratorship..she announces a pregnancy..while this is just wonderful for her, she kinda dropped the ball everywhere else (or at least to me)even though the baby is now nearly a year old, I barely get a response from an e-mail..no help, no info on her classes and just got an announcement that she's..taking a back seat for awhile. She's a fantastic stamper and really has great style..I just joined at a time that was difficult for her to continue. Fortunately, I have a neighbor (met through the UPS man!) that is a fantastic support and I truly appreciate her..I just wish she was making the commission my upline is off me..
This is such a good point, and it's why I always advise people that one of their questions to their potential upline should be "what would happen to me if you decided to move or quit?" A safety net in terms of a great network of uplines/sidelines is definitely something to look for.

I always tell my recruits that while I'm a good business-oriented upline who will help them meet their goals for their business, whatever they happen to be, the absolute best thing about signing up with me is the network of demonstrators in my uplines' groups that are there to help if for whatever reason I cannot. So if I go on vacation or a business trip and one of my team members has an urgent question or problem, I know she has a number of people in my upline and sideline to go to for help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I guess it might help if I told you all where I'm from. I'm from Fort Wayne. So if you have a recommendation about someone close to me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks to all for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

so what does happen if your upline quits?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

That's a hard question to answer because it really depends on how involved your UL is in your business. My direct upline? I'm not 100% sure she's still a part of SU! But, I'm still going strong. I have my 3rd UL that emails regularly and is there if I have questions. Like Diane said, being a part of a supportive group (which I am) is really important too.

I think the most important thing is to know what you want and expect from your potential UL and then ask questions until you find the person (whether near or far) that fulfills those needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysstampin'View Post
That's a hard question to answer because it really depends on how involved your UL is in your business. My direct upline? I'm not 100% sure she's still a part of SU! But, I'm still going strong. I have my 3rd UL that emails regularly and is there if I have questions. Like Diane said, being a part of a supportive group (which I am) is really important too.

I think the most important thing is to know what you want and expect from your potential UL and then ask questions until you find the person (whether near or far) that fulfills those needs.

What exactly is required from your upline, what is she susposed to do for her downlines?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

That's a question that will get many different answers too. I think most demo's that are in SU! for a business believe that they need to support their DL. But, how that support is given is probably very different. Me? I have a website for my DL that has all of my class ideas, important info, anything else I deem important for them. I send out regular emails and I call. I also have meetings every other month (about). I'm very quick to respond to any phone call and/or email.
I think other demo's will chime in here and tell what they do to support there downline. But, there isn't anything in the demo manual that says "you must do this, this and this for your downline". It's more what you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #24  
Say Cheese!!

Just wanted to say HI to a fellow Hoosier!!! I am in Southern Indiana! Good luck finding an upline that meets your needs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I know two demos and knew that I wanted to sign up under one of them. One is more "hard-core" business oriented, the other a definite business demo but has a little softer sell approach. The harder core one is not really someone I can see being good friends with, KWIM, but has a bigger "net" of support. I ended up signing with the other one, and I'm her only DL. She's awesome!!! She's been so helpful already, returning calls RIGHT AWAY (like within a couple hours!). My favorite thing support-wise is that she's willing to let me borrow any of her stuff to use or demo. That's a huge help for me b/c I'm a new stamper and don't have many of the cool "tools" yet. I know that the other demo that I knew locally would not have been able to offer that... and this demo volunteered that, I didn't ask. (And I'm trying to focus on ordering things that I will use AND that she doesn't have so that she can borrow from me, too!). It's really important to me, too, to have someone that's local so that we can split ribbon, borrow a couple pieces of CS before a workshop, etc., if short. So, that's something else to consider, too. Mostly I'm excited to have another stamping friend! The business is so much about relationships and I am excited to have it be so FUN!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sky LadyBugView Post
What exactly is required from your upline, what is she susposed to do for her downlines?
The only requirement Stampin' Up! has for uplines is to hand over the starter kit order form and demo agreement to her recruit. There is no other official requirement to train or support a downline. And given that many demonstrators are not in a position to realize any benefit form having a downline, it would be unrealistic to epect them to provide much support. That's why it's important to ask the questions up front if you want or need that support.

As Sheryl said, most business oriented uplines recognize that teambuilding is an important aspect of their business, so they provide support in a myriad of ways. Some demonstrators put together a training program for their new downlines, some utilize yahoo groups or msn groups or team blogs or other on-line venues for their downlines where the various members of the downline can interact with each other, many business demosntrators set up their own incentives for their downlines where acheiving certain goals gets the downlines the opportunityto earn or win free product or attend special stamping events. Most business downlines send update e-mails and have phone contact with their downlines, many have monthly or quarterly meetings which may involve business topics and stamping. Some demonstrators even go as far as bringing in speakers to their meetings, both on business and creative topics. Many organize swaps for their downlines with the release of a new catalog or mini or have open stamp times with their downlines.

And if your upline is a member of a large group of demosntrators, you may be eligible to take advantage not just of the things she does for her downline, but things her uplines do for their downlines. And I would say as a general rule the more active business demos are in your upline chain, the more opportunitites you will have to participate in different team activities, which can really make your demo experience first rate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for answering my questions. I m signing up on the 19th, and cannot wait.

~Marie
Reply With Quote Likes