Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Heart How cardmaking brings us together

It's taken a little while for me to be able to post this because it's a happy and sad story. 5-1/2 years ago, I was facing a difficult & heart-wrenching time because I suddenly needed to become a Carer to a family member who was unexpectedly diagnosed with cancer & our family life was turned upside down. I had recently becomes friends with another lady via a forum in the USA (but she was Australian like me) who was also a cardmaker and also unexpectedly, was diagnosed with cancer that very same week. I don't find it easy to make friends as I am very introverted but also very shy & finding another friend who was also a cardmaker was something I had never expected but was so overjoyed to know someone who had that same excitement and passion for our hobby. No sooner had my friend rang to tell me her health news that I was telling her of ours. Over the past 5-1/2 years, my friend sent her handmade cards to my loved one to encourage them & for their birthday & for Christmas - but also to me as well. I in turn, sent cards to my friend - and even my loved one (when well enough), made cards to send to them as well.

We had many long chats on the phone as we journeyed through the medical treatment & the heartache that we both felt - but we also shared the excitement of newly released cardmaking products & blogs that we loved. I got to know new stamp companies & cardmakers that I had never heard of. Often our conversations would start with: "Have you seen that amazing new die.....or stamp layering set?" Dealing with a serious illness can be very isolating & I felt incredibly isolated because even when cancer treatment finishes, everyone else has moved on but you are still dealing with the side effects, juggling medications & dealing with the fear of the illness returning. And it was so refreshing to talk about stuff that didn't relate to the illness! My loved one & my friend both made it through treatment which was great.

Fast forward to now and my friend suddenly passed a few weeks ago from an unrelated illness so I am shocked and very sad & feel a bit lost. But I am so grateful for that friendship & how cardmaking brought us together just because we started sharing via a cardmaking forum & then found we both lived in Australia. I feel blessed that my friend encouraged me & was so enthusiastic about my cardmaking. There were times when I couldn't craft because I was so mentally exhausted - but my friend picked me up & carried me on her wings & sent a card just to make me feel special. I LOVE how this hobby brings people together.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 05:12 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am so so sorry about the difficult times you have gone through. Making a decision to care for a loved one is very unselfish and consuming. To have emotional supports is crucial for the caregiver as well! How very wonderful to have had a friend like that. Her loss is devastating to you as well :( Your SCS family understand how our shared passion span miles and continents and make for connections that others don't understand. I guess any shared passion does that. I hope you will continue to open yourself up to friendships.. It is great to see you back here, it's been awhile since I saw your avatar!

This reminds me of some of the women here I have had connections with and for whatever reason- busy seasons of life, whatever it is- I haven't been in touch with for too long. Thank you for the gentle reminder

Blessings and hugs to you JoBear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 05:41 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a wonderful tribute to your friend. I am so sorry for your loss.
I've met some wonderful people through stamping and I cherish those friendships.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I understand your story very deeply. This craft we love can bring friends together that otherwise would never have met or interacted. Friendships are such a vital part our lives. My sincere condolences to you as you grieve for your sweet friend ... but you are absolutely correct in your appreciation of the shared treasure of card making. Big ((((hugggsss)))) to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2018, 05:02 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

What a sweet post, JoBear! I am so sorry you've lost your friend, but so very happy that you had her in your life when it seems you needed her the most (and she needed you)! I truly believe that we come into (and out of) each other's lives to serve a purpose in those relationships, and your story reinforces that belief. Thank you so much for sharing, and I'm thrilled to see you back! You are so loved here, as I hope you know. I hope that your memories will carry you through to brighter days...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You two walked a harsh road together holding hands and sharing small joys.

How about you make a card that you feel embodies her? Fav color or subject or whatever...And then you can stick it to your idea board. Esp if you can do it with a stamp you guys oogled together.

One person can never take the place of another as we are all unique, but we have something in common with her-we want you to be happy as your extended carding family. We are here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2018, 04:23 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
You two walked a harsh road together holding hands and sharing small joys.

How about you make a card that you feel embodies her? Fav color or subject or whatever...And then you can stick it to your idea board. Esp if you can do it with a stamp you guys oogled together.

One person can never take the place of another as we are all unique, but we have something in common with her-we want you to be happy as your extended carding family. We are here.

Thank you - that is a really lovely idea

And thank you everyone for your comments and support - I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 338 Likes on 212 Posts

So sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing your story of companionship and support. Cardmakers are a wonderful community, and a blessing in my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm terribly sorry for your loss and so grateful to you for sharing your lovely story.
Jo
x
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Jo Ann, what a bittersweet story - lots of love and grief comingled together. Thank you for sharing your story here - I'm so touched and honored that you would. Keeping you and her family and friends in my prayers these tender days of remembrance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Thank you for sharing this heart-warming, inspiring, & touching story. I'm so sorry for the earthly loss of your friend, who will live in your heart.

I love how this hobby brings people together, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2018, 11:15 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
Jo Ann, what a bittersweet story - lots of love and grief comingled together. Thank you for sharing your story here - I'm so touched and honored that you would. Keeping you and her family and friends in my prayers these tender days of remembrance.

Thank you so much She was certainly such a special friend who will always live in my heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you for posting your story. stamping does bring people together and is a wonderful part of the hobby.

I am so very sorry that your friend died. Hugs
Reply With Quote Likes