Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #121
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Whatever. You obviously have your mind made up. Have you ever heard the phrase, "There is no such thing as a free lunch"? It came from a time when bars, desperate to get patrons in the door, would offer a free lunch. Men would go in for the free lunch and since they were there, would end up drinking. Since the mark up on the booze was so high, the bar owners still made money on their "free lunch".

That's what "free shipping" is. Someone is paying for the shipping and you can bet it is not the retailer. You are, in the inflated prices of the products you buy or someone else is paying for you because they impulsively order more than they really need. But if it makes you feel good to think you are getting a deal, go ahead and live in your happy dream. Must be a really happy dream if you think you get a deal on Ebay.

hehe!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #122
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
Well, I read the rest of this thread and I won't read anymore.

As usual, the SU loyalists are defending the company with contradictory arguments and slamming other companies as so-called examples of why SU is so much better.

How is it that only the SU defenders and demos receive their Amazon products in two weeks when they arrive in days for the rest of us?

How is it that the size of SU is the reason they are so slow AND the reason they cannot offer free shipping but others can?

How is it the PTI papers arrive bent for the SU loyalists but never SU papers?

Doesn't SU also charge a flat fee up to a $70 order? So, what would that percentage be if I wanted a $10 stamp set? (Does SU even make any $10 stamp sets?)

MaryKay must have an insane markup because their shipping isn't a rip-off?

SU trains its consultants- like they are the ONLY company on the planet that has that cost? And, that is used to justify their high shipping?

The fact that Amazon gets a bulk discount from publishers means that their free shipping isn't free? (THIS ONE REALLY MADE ME LAUGH!!!)

Another one that made me laugh was how other companies can offer free shipping over a certain purchase price because it wouldn't cost anymore to ship several items than one- so why does the shipping still go up with SU? (Does SU have a special arrangement with UPS that only SU pays more?)

Give it a REST!!! No one is buying your cockamamie excuses for what is an obvious money-grab by SU to make more than their already over-priced items bring in. They are increasing their profits by charging excessive shipping costs and that is all there is to it.

As for me- I will continue to buy SU only on eBay, if at all.

I liked this so much I added it to my signature line!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #123
Gallery Gazer

I think more than a few folks have their minds made up in this thread, whatever other insanely compelling and obvious evidence there is that is blatantly in support of the contrary opinion. So SUers, go get ripped off by SU, and the rest of you, go get robbed blind by the rest of the stamp companies!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #124
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
I think more than a few folks have their minds made up in this thread, whatever other insanely compelling and obvious evidence there is that is blatantly in support of the contrary opinion. So SUers, go get ripped off by SU, and the rest of you, go get robbed blind by the rest of the stamp companies!
Maybe *I* should put "happily ripped off by SU! since 2003" to my sig line...LOL!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #125
Crimping Master

Quote:

Um yeah. Already discussed. It's 50%.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #126
Crimping Master

Of course I'm going to defend Stampin' Up!, because I love the product. Just like you'd defend whatever crap you love.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #127
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTiView Post
Of course I'm going to defend Stampin' Up!, because I love the product. Just like you'd defend whatever crap you love.
Oooh! A new siggy line, "SU! The crap you love to stamp with!"

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #128
Crimping Master

Quote:

Oooh! A new siggy line, "SU! The crap you love to stamp with!"
No kidding! How many specials does Stampin' Up! have going on? What about the big special coming up next month? What about getting FREE product with a workshop?

I think if you hold a $150 workshop, that $15 in free product and free stamp set pays for your shipping gripes.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #129
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

We don't all happen to sell the crap we love. Glad you love your crap, and glad you're happy with the way you're getting ripped off. I also love my crap, and have more than come to terms with the way I get robbed blind when it comes to purchasing crafting supplies.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #130
Crimping Master

Quote:

We don't all happen to sell the crap we love. Glad you love your crap, and glad you're happy with the way you're getting ripped off. I also love my crap, and have more than come to terms with the way I get robbed blind when it comes to purchasing crafting supplies.
Thank you so much for telling me that I'm getting robbed blind and ripped off. I'm so glad that YOU can tell me how my purchasing are working out for me.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #131
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Oooh, we are in such happy accord, loving our crap and willing to shell out our hard earned bucks for it!!! All is right with the world....

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #132
Gallery Gazer

I just love the way I can browse the totally distinctive and unique images available at Unity Stamps, and with shipping at only $5, I can satisfy any desires I have to get a new stamp kit as often as I like -- being able to comfortably make a purchase whenever I want rather than having to save up and make a massive order to receive compensation is important to me as a craft shopper. I also love the Kit of the Month they have available!

I love the free shipping at PaperTrey on orders over $50 -- makes me comfortable picking up some of their beautiful, exclusive heavyweight cardstock every month if I want to, plus their quality matching inks, without having to find an independent demonstrator and join a monthly club to find it personally worthwhile to do the same thing within SU's framework. Again, feeling comfortable to freely place orders when I have less than $150 to spend on craft crap is important to me as a shopper.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #133
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thank you so much for telling me that I'm getting robbed blind and ripped off. I'm so glad that YOU can tell me how my purchasing are working out for me.
I think you misunderstood my comment. If you read the rest of the post of mine that you quoted, I referred to MY craft crap purchases as "getting robbed blind". This thread kind of developed into a confrontational environment with the SUers convinced their way is the best, and the everyone-elsers convinced their way is the best. According to each side, everyone is making an idiotic decision in terms of their crafting purchase. It also looked to me (but I may be wrong) that several folks were quite freely telling others how their purchases are working out for them.

Sorry you seemed to have misunderstood my post, taken it personally, and gotten defensive about it. I'm honestly not out to get you and am honestly glad you are happy with SU. I'm honestly happy with other stamp companies.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #134
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Oooh, we are in such happy accord, loving our crap and willing to shell out our hard earned bucks for it!!! All is right with the world....
Muahaha, I won! You think what *I* think now! I knew that if I beat you over the head enough with it, you'd come around!! And I only had to sound just a >teeny< bit like an advertisement to do it!!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #135
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Um yeah. Already discussed. It's 50%.
Hmm... I really have never thought of MK as having a huge mark-up compared to other brands...Our lipsticks are $13, Lancome's range from $22.50-24. Our lip pencils are $10, vs. Lancome - $22. Our foundations are $14 and Clinique's range from $18.50 - $26. You still have to go to the store to buy these items, spending gas, or buy them from Sephora and pay shipping, so at the end of the day you are still paying more out of pocket than you would for MK!! Our target market is not to compete with grocery store brands (no offense meant by that, so please do not take any).

My mark-up is eaten up by my advertising and shipping costs. I also run several specials throughout the year offering discounts. On top of that, we offer a free gift for orders over $40, paid for entirely by yours truly! These are some of the principals of our business.

I really did not want this to be a bash MK forum. I really was just making a point that not every home-based business charges high shipping prices. I am really sorry that I even read this thread in the first place...

Can't we all just stamp and get along?? (Holding hands and singing kumbaya now...)

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #136
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa HannantView Post
I don't think anyone was being rude. They were just giving their opinions just as the OP was. Whats the point in posting anything if its always going to be one sided?
I do think that replying "who cares" to someones post is rude. With all the other posts, you may have missed that one. I just didn't want to single one person out.I was in NO way implying that having a different opinion than the OP made anyone rude. I totally agree that there is no point in posting if everything is one sided. Hope that clarifies my thoughts.LOL!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #137
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinanglerView Post
Hmm... I really have never thought of MK as having a huge mark-up compared to other brands...Our lipsticks are $13, Lancome's range from $22.50-24. Our lip pencils are $10, vs. Lancome - $22. Our foundations are $14 and Clinique's range from $18.50 - $26. You still have to go to the store to buy these items, spending gas, or buy them from Sephora and pay shipping, so at the end of the day you are still paying more out of pocket than you would for MK!! Our target market is not to compete with grocery store brands (no offense meant by that, so please do not take any).

My mark-up is eaten up by my advertising and shipping costs. I also run several specials throughout the year offering discounts. On top of that, we offer a free gift for orders over $40, paid for entirely by yours truly! These are some of the principals of our business.

I really did not want this to be a bash MK forum. I really was just making a point that not every home-based business charges high shipping prices. I am really sorry that I even read this thread in the first place...

Can't we all just stamp and get along?? (Holding hands and singing kumbaya now...)
Yet you keep 50% of that $13, right? Just making sure I'm on the right page.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #138
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetiepeasView Post
Have you check the ups website to see what the actual cost of shipping would be? I know they get a bit of a discount since they are exclusive to ups. I did a 1 pound package from SU to my house (my most recent delivery) and it would have cost me $7.49 instead of $6.95. So even thought the shipping seems high it really is the cost and not a inflated shipping cost for profit. Just a thought.
That is what it would cost you to ship 1 package with ups. However if you opened an acount and shipped several thousand packages a day every day, your new cost would be about 1/6th of that. SU*and all other major retailers) gets HUGE shipping discounts I assure you. They are counting on people to go to ups.com and think they are getting such a deal because they are offering shipping for a dollar or two less than what you can ship.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #139
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
LOL

(Then again, you are here reading this thread, right?!)
Well said!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #140
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well, I read the rest of this thread and I won't read anymore.

As usual, the SU loyalists are defending the company with contradictory arguments and slamming other companies as so-called examples of why SU is so much better.

How is it that only the SU defenders and demos receive their Amazon products in two weeks when they arrive in days for the rest of us?

How is it that the size of SU is the reason they are so slow AND the reason they cannot offer free shipping but others can?

How is it the PTI papers arrive bent for the SU loyalists but never SU papers?

Doesn't SU also charge a flat fee up to a $70 order? So, what would that percentage be if I wanted a $10 stamp set? (Does SU even make any $10 stamp sets?)

SU trains its consultants- like they are the ONLY company on the planet that has that cost? And, that is used to justify their high shipping?

The fact that Amazon gets a bulk discount from publishers means that their free shipping isn't free? (THIS ONE REALLY MADE ME LAUGH!!!)

Another one that made me laugh was how other companies can offer free shipping over a certain purchase price because it wouldn't cost anymore to ship several items than one- so why does the shipping still go up with SU? (Does SU have a special arrangement with UPS that only SU pays more?)

Give it a REST!!! No one is buying your cockamamie excuses for what is an obvious money-grab by SU to make more than their already over-priced items bring in. They are increasing their profits by charging excessive shipping costs and that is all there is to it.

As for me- I will continue to buy SU only on eBay, if at all.
I love how everyone else can "speak freely", but those who defend SU! in a negative thread are mindless sheep that need to just shut up and go back to their stamp rooms...

If you don't want to pay that minimum shipping charge, just ask your demo (assuming you still order from one) when she's planning to put in her next order and whether she'd be willing to piggyback yours to avoid the minimum charge on a small order. I'm always glad to do that for my customers, and I've spoken with many other demos who offer the same thing.

BTW, I felt SU! was a great company long before I signed up as a demo. I'd stamped for nearly four years (exclusively with SU! product) before my now upline recruited me, and in that time I never had a reason to complain. Now that I'm "on the inside", so to speak, I'm even happier with SU! as a company. They must be doing something right, because they've been around for 20 years now and are still going strong. How many other companies that started in 1988 or since are still around? Of those, how many are flourishing? If the way that SU! does business were really so awful, they'd probably have gone under years ago.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #141
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazzzyView Post
I always find it so funny that when someone defends SU! people climb their frames, and then those people trash SU! (I do't believe the OP was trashing SU!, that seems to have come in later posts from others). If someone came into a forum here and said something against any company other than Stampin' Up! people all come to that company's defense and bash the person who posted against them. Amazing!

Here's the deal...if you think SU! charges too much for shipping, don't order from them! But why the need to come here and trash the company, say how they over charge for their items, and they are sticking it to their customers on shipping? Stampin' Up! must be doing something right, they are a very successful company celebrating their 20th anniversary this year. They have done this by selling quality products to people who appreciate that, and to reward those customers, they give them free stamp sets and free products. I don't know of too many other stamp companies that do that online!

As for purchasing off of eBay, if you like that, great. I personally know that you almost always will pay at least $5 for shipping on one set purchased on eBay, and you run the risk of not getting the set or it not being as described. To each their own!
wow, and here I thought SCS was a forum where we could all express our opinions even if they aren't the same as the nest persons. That's like if you say you don't like english peas, I start jumping your case just because I so happen to love them. I think that if the OP felt she had been wronged by SU's shipping, wel she had the right to start a thread here. And if other readers didn't like it, they had two choices, quit reading, or post their opions too. There is nothing wrong with stating your opinion.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #142
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Muahaha, I won! You think what *I* think now! I knew that if I beat you over the head enough with it, you'd come around!! And I only had to sound just a >teeny< bit like an advertisement to do it!!
Mel, Mel, Mel...you think that little plug for Unity Stamps was only a >teeny< bit like an advertisement, do you?

Frankly, I order from more companies than just SU! and I often take advantage of free shipping specials. I am only human and I do love a variety of "crap" in my stamp room. For the most part, I have had excellent service from almost every company where I have placed an order. But I don't have any illusions that I am truly getting something for nothing. I choose to order enough to get free shipping, knowing that I have paid for it somewhere along the line. I have also, on occasion, backed myself out of an online order because I considered the shipping way too high. But if I like someone's stamps enough, I can usually find a way to justify paying higher shipping. And usually that means ordering just enough to still get the minimum shipping charge...so even then, I end up ordering more than I really meant to. It's a delicate dance.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #143
Kookie Creator

For what it's worth, I work for a manufacturer/wholesaler, and our shipping costs tend to fall between 8-15% of the product total. We use USPS, UPS, and FedEx; and with the exception of USPS, the costs change constatly, usually due to the fuel surcharge added by UPS and FedEx. We invoice freight at actual cost (sales tax is not an issue because we're wholesalers) and sometimes we are not able to keep the shipping costs under that 15%.

It does stink, but we all know that prices in general have gone up - from the grocery store and beyond. I think it would be great if they offered free freight on orders over a certain amount, but what amount should qualify? Should large workshops be free freight? Should it be the amount of individual orders? In the end, the cost of product would go up as their cost to manufacture/transport/ship the product goes up.

My company has raised prices on items just to cover the rise in transpo costs, to then see the manufacturing cost go up from the factory. It's a vicious cycle!
~Author Unknown
Old 09-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #144
Polyshrink Goddess

Please don't be fooled into thinking ANY shipping is ever FREE. There is always a cost for shipping, and that cost is paid by the customers. No company could stay in business if the customers didn't pay the cost of shipping. It's just that sometimes the cost of shipping is figured into the price of the item, instead of being a separate amount added at the end of the order.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #145
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Yet you keep 50% of that $13, right? Just making sure I'm on the right page.
We are really not on the same page, b/c MK has a completely different business model, but that is a discussion for a different time and place.

I am a SU demo too - I love SU, but I do think at the end of the day, the shipping is a bit high. I was merely using MK as a for instance that other companies do things differently. I was not picking on your profit levels as a SU demo, was I?

This thread isn't even about MK or make-up for that matter...

I am really not sure why you seem to still be picking on me since I think I politely tried to end the MK discussion in my last post. Please let it go.

Check out my Blog! -
Old 09-15-2008, 02:05 AM   #146
Matboard Maniac

Nothing is really free, even shipping. The business you are purchasing from has to make enough money to make a profit after they pay their expenses or else they will not be in business for very long. They must be adding a percentage to the cost of all items to make up for the free shipping.

I try to figure out total cost on things I am considering to buy. Especially if I am looking at something that is available from different places. Then I know how much total I am spending, not just the price of the item.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #147
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Mel, Mel, Mel...you think that little plug for Unity Stamps was only a >teeny< bit like an advertisement, do you?
Well, after reading so much about SU's great hostess benefits on large orders, and all the other things that make SU just the astoundingly clear choice for consumers, I thought I'd give some airtime to a couple of other companies too. Plus, if my comments about Unity and PTI came across as a wee bit phony and contrived, regardless of how true and sincere they are, that may give some demos on SCS a little perspective on how they come across on GST defending SU from somebody venting aboat shipping or wood blocks or what have you. Just something I do for a hobby when I'm not stamping.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #148
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinanglerView Post
We are really not on the same page, b/c MK has a completely different business model, but that is a discussion for a different time and place.

I am a SU demo too - I love SU, but I do think at the end of the day, the shipping is a bit high. I was merely using MK as a for instance that other companies do things differently. I was not picking on your profit levels as a SU demo, was I?

This thread isn't even about MK or make-up for that matter...

I am really not sure why you seem to still be picking on me since I think I politely tried to end the MK discussion in my last post. Please let it go.
I'm not picking on you. I just wanted to make sure that they do get to keep 50%. I didn't want to be saying that if it was incorrect. No one's picking on you.

Yes...MK might be different, but it was brought up on this thread along with others such as Sephora and Amazon.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #149
Matboard Maniac

It really does not matter what my profit is. At the end of the day, I am netting about 10% of my 'profit'. I carry a full inventory, pay to have it shipped to myself and then either deliver it or ship it to my customers free of charge (so, I actually pay shipping twice!!) I have to buy any freebies that the company offers as incentives and give them free to my customers (again - totally out of my pocket). I also pay the 2% fee when a customer pays by cc - not them. I pride myself on my customer service -often delivering or shipping the same day that i get an order. (and I think my customers would agree) I am constantly running specials (lowering my profit level), offering discounts for birthdays, donating to charities and to my local community. A few months back , a good customer of mine's house burned down. Since they lost almost everything, I gave her over $180 worth of MK products for free. I was not worried about my 'profit', it was the right thing to do.

I feel like you are trying to demonize whatever profit you perceive I am 'keeping'. I assure you that I am not keeping 50% of anything!

I feel like I run my business with integrity and honesty and at the end of the day, if I make a woman feel better about herself, that is my simple win. It is not about the money for me - if it were, I would have gotten out a long time ago!

Check out my Blog! -
Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #150
Rubber Obsessor

I don't know about other states, but in Michigan if you order stuff online and don't pay 6% sales tax at that point, you have to declare it and pay it on your state taxes. So if by ordering PTI (or amazon or whatever company here) and you don't pay tax you have to declare that on your taxes or it sales tax fraud. Now, what you do is your own business, but attcking SU! for doing what they are legally obligated to do is silly IMO.

I was a consultant for PartyLite and at conference 2 years ago they changed their shipping to be 10% (before if you ordered tealights for 6.95 you paid $4 for shipping so if you order less it is a better deal now). At that conference they told us that they changed because they had lost $2.5 MILLION dollars on shipping the year before.... um yeah, I know PL stuff is bigger than SU! but I don't really think SU! is trying to make a profit off of shippping, that seems silly to me as well.

Just my thoughts.... I'm not a demo and I order from mostly CTMH and SU! and I like ordering from consultants... will I order more online as I go? Probably, but the fact that I can order from a person is what I like about it.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #151
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
I do think that replying "who cares" to someones post is rude. With all the other posts, you may have missed that one. I just didn't want to single one person out.I was in NO way implying that having a different opinion than the OP made anyone rude. I totally agree that there is no point in posting if everything is one sided. Hope that clarifies my thoughts.LOL!
You're right, I did miss that one post. Up until about page three when the discussion was a bit more civil, I felt the post were ok. Now everyone is just getting pissy and nasty! Jeez, if you can't afford the shipping or aren't willing to pay for it, move on! This has gotten way out of hand. Funny thing is, everyone thinks they have the answer to why some companies offer free or discounted shipping and other don't. Every company has their reasons and they pad the cost somehwere else to make up for a loss in shipping(or a sale, or whatever). Unless you work for or run one of the mentioned companies, you really don't know.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #152
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

You're right, I did miss that one post. Up until about page three when the discussion was a bit more civil, I felt the post were ok. Now everyone is just getting pissy and nasty! Jeez, if you can't afford the shipping or aren't willing to pay for it, move on! This has gotten way out of hand. Funny thing is, everyone thinks they have the answer to why some companies offer free or discounted shipping and other don't. Every company has their reasons and they pad the cost somehwere else to make up for a loss in shipping(or a sale, or whatever). Unless you work for or run one of the mentioned companies, you really don't know.

Melissa,
LOL! I totally agree. This post has gotten a little crazy. People are taking nasty shots at each other and everything. Kinda reminds me of high school. LOL! I maintian my orginal thoughts; I don't like paying the high shipping, but SU has something I want so I'll keep paying it anyways. LOL! All about supply and demand I guess. Hope you have a great day!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #153
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
Melissa,
LOL! I totally agree. This post has gotten a little crazy. People are taking nasty shots at each other and everything. Kinda reminds me of high school. LOL! I maintian my orginal thoughts; I don't like paying the high shipping, but SU has something I want so I'll keep paying it anyways. LOL! All about supply and demand I guess. Hope you have a great day!

I agree. I am not sure how my MK business became the topic of great discussion and scrutiny. After this, I will re-think posting on certain threads. I wish I had not gotten involved. It's really a shame b/c I really LOVE this place (SCS). While i don't like the price of shipping, I am sure I will continue to pay it to support my habit! LOL! But I will stick to my "free shipping every once in a while would be nice" story!

Let's just all stamp and get along!! Cheers, it's 5 o'clock somewhere, right?

Check out my Blog! -
Old 09-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #154
Die Cut Diva

Default shipping

Quote:

Originally Posted by chattiekathieView Post
This is correct and tax is calculated on that total. Did you (the OP) place your order through a demonstrator or just through the SU! website? If you place your order through a demonstrator (online or not) you receive a better rate on S&H.
I have placed large orders from a demo and NEVER got a better rate! Thats why I do not buy SU often.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #155
Hardware Hotshot

WOW - I read about 2 1/2 pages - until things started to turn a little ugly.

Back to the original post. I do think SU's shipping is a little high.

My DS and DDIL live in cali and I live in Ohio. I have shipped to them many times using the USPS Priority mail flat rate boxes - for under $10.00 I can ship across the country and have the package there is 2 days. 2 days from Ohio to Cali -

There are a variety of boxes that one can use, but they must be the USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes. I have jammed those babies full of goodies and never paid a penny more than the flat rate. I have shipped my DDIL pounds and pounds of CS, boxes of stamps and goodies and they have always arrived in 2 days.

It takes me 6 days from the date SU ships my order to the date it arrives at my door. . . . and all of my orders would fit in one of the USPS Priority Mail boxes.

I'd like to see them go to the flat rate shipment whevnever possible because then you know you will have your package in 2-3 days.

While it is not always practicle to used the flat rate, many times it would be wonderful. My orders average between $60-150 - depending so it would be worth it to me.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #156
Gallery Gazer

Whew are we in CE or GST???? LOL

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right--Lincoln
Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #157
Matboard Maniac

Well, the reason I get so irritated in these threads is because when people like me post that other companies offer free shipping, other people respond that they hope we're not under the illusion that we're getting something free and that there is no free lunch. I understand that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but when I air mine and have my intelligence insulted, it makes me angry.

I have no illusions about anything. I described in my earlier post the ways in which PTI's product is better, more versatile, and cheaper AND I get free shipping. I am sure PTI is still making a profit and has priced their product in such a way that makes up for their shipping costs. I don't mind that. What I do mind is when SU has such ridiculously overpriced stamp sets and more expensive paper, and they STILL charge shipping. All I'm saying is that SU is no longer competitive with other companies, and that they are at risk of losing my business, and apparently the business of some other ladies here, according to this thread. If other companies can do it, then why can't SU? That's the only point I'm trying to make, but when I provide logical information as a background to this point, I get nonsense answers and insults.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #158
Stampin' Fool

Coming back to the original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutta
This is what I got. Merchandise Total
$213.26
Shipping/Handling
$21.33
Sales Tax 5.0000%
$11.79
Total Due
$246.38

Shipping is 10%, tax 5%. Maybe the online ordering, with a credit to the demo would be the way to go. I'll bet that it would be itemized. If you buy online, do you have to pay sales tax?

Jutta

Quote:

Well, I think you first of all have to forget about the tax. Had you gone to a store in your state you would have paid for that anyways. You bought $213 in product which is a big amount. I bet the box was heavy. Have you shipped anything heavy from the post office lately? I have and let me tell ya, its not cheap.Just one bigger stamp set cost me $7.90. I bet you had more than that. I don't think the $21 charge for shipping is really that much in the scheme of things. I doubt you could match that price closely if you took it to the post office. You could probably send stuff like that parcel post and take your chances, but I like the delivery updates with UPS. Nothing is cheap anymore.
To add to what Melissa said... something that was mentioned, but not really acknowledged is that from SU! with an order this big, being placed as a single hostess order ALSO allows you $20 in FREE merchandise AND a free hostess stamp set that is not available to purchase... the value of both MORE THAN offsets the $21 you paid in Shipping and Handling (the $12 for Tax would have been paid in any brick and mortar store like Michaels anyway).

Sure it is nice when a smaller company offers free shipping over $50, but since you spent so much, instead of giving free shipping, SU! does give you even more value in FREE & EXCLUSIVE PRODUCTS!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #159
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, this thread is a little intense. I don't know if SU charges too much for shipping, none of us really know, do we? The fact is the cost is for shipping and handling. I can't say what their cost for handling is, regardless of any discounts they are getting from UPS. Handling encompasses a large range of things and I'm sure it is different for every company out there (Amazon, PTI, MaryKay, etc. included). So, unless we are sitting in a board room crunching the numbers it is just conjecture on everyone's part whether they are/are not charging too much although everyone IS entitled to their opinion. I say let it go...so we can move on to a more pressing issue...companies that charge $5-$20 more to ship APO. Honestly, I'm just kidding...trying to lighten the mood.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #160
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
Well, the reason I get so irritated in these threads is because when people like me post that other companies offer free shipping, other people respond that they hope we're not under the illusion that we're getting something free and that there is no free lunch. I understand that everyone has a right to their own opinion, but when I air mine and have my intelligence insulted, it makes me angry.

I have no illusions about anything. I described in my earlier post the ways in which PTI's product is better, more versatile, and cheaper AND I get free shipping. I am sure PTI is still making a profit and has priced their product in such a way that makes up for their shipping costs. I don't mind that. What I do mind is when SU has such ridiculously overpriced stamp sets and more expensive paper, and they STILL charge shipping. All I'm saying is that SU is no longer competitive with other companies, and that they are at risk of losing my business, and apparently the business of some other ladies here, according to this thread. If other companies can do it, then why can't SU? That's the only point I'm trying to make, but when I provide logical information as a background to this point, I get nonsense answers and insults.
I am huge fan of both PTI and SU. I am just a customer of SU, not a demo. But when comparing the cost of SU versus PTI, or any other member company here, you also have to factor in the 20% commission the demos make with SU. SU has to add that into the cost of the product. I gladly pay more for SU knowing that my fantastic demo is benefitting. While I love PTI, they can charge less for their paper and stamps because there is no middle man to compensate.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I do think SU shipping is a little high, and I try to save up my PTI orders so I can get free shipping whenever I can. Who LIKES to pay shipping? But I like SU products so much that I am willing to pay their shipping rates. Of the companies I buy from that do not offer free shipping, SU seems to be right in line with the rest. JMHP.