Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default Help, I don't know where to start !!

Alright heres the problem, just got my new scrap room painted and new tables put together (thanks again honey) I am moving my room from upstairs to downstairs (closer to coffee pot LOL ) but I have no idea where to start its soooooooooooo overwhelming!! You would think a "clean slate" would be easy but gosh I don't know where to start. HELP
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Stampin' Fool

I just reorganized and dejunked my craft closet. Yes, I said closet. How I wish I had a room. I sorted everything into categories and found containers for all those and then have one container for the items I use each and everytime I stamp. I have 3 sets of shelves above my "desk" area and the items I use the most are on the lowest shelf, then up from there. So the items I don't need access to as much are on the top shelf. Does this even help at all? You will have to show us pictures when you get it all beautiful!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Old 01-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

Oh, dear! I can see where you are coming from though. I'll type out some thoughts here and maybe that'll get you or the conversation going:

1. What if you started with the actual space where you'll be working. Choose the items you want to be within arms reach while you are sitting in your chair.

2. Then maybe look at your larger tools...cutters, die cut machines, stuff that is probably best stationed somewhere you can use it in place vs. having to drag it out.

3. Then maybe the 'large volume' storage issues: Paper, stamp sets, alterables are all things that I have so much of I can't keep them within arms reach necessarily.

4. From there, fill in around with the remaining items you need to store.

Does that help?

Peg
Old 01-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Glitter Queen

Lauren....I just recently organized my craft space (again!) I went to the hardware store and got a peg board and the hardware that fits into the holes on the peg board. They are meant for tools, but as I told my husband a stamper has tools too you know!! So all the things that I use all the time are positioned on the peg board. Then on the bottom of the peg board is a shelf that is about an inch above my craft table and lines the length of the table. I went to dollarama and bought some small tin containers and these house my markers, adhesives, pencils, ink pads, embossing powders, H2O's, sponges, and other things like that. Hope this helps you out a bit.
Oh, and just because you've put something somewhere doesn't mean it has to stay there...when your crafting and you notice that something would work better somewhere else then move it...(I just wish it could all stay in one big heap on my table..and be functionable at the same time. Lol.)
Take care and have fun!
Happy Stamping/Crafting.....
Old 01-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Crimping Master

I think re-organizing a craft room is a lot like organizing a kitchen...put what you will use most within arms reach...ie...adhesives, stamp cleaner, ink pads, etc...then I would continue from there...I put my overstocks (sorry...I have worked in retail for way to long) on a shelf in my laundry room..away from moisture and what not...(I keep overstocks of adhesive, stamp cleaner, ribbon, etc...) I would LOVE a clean slate to start from...lucky girl! Like the previous posts have said...just because youput something somewhere...it doesn't have to stay.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Hardware Hotshot

Do you stamp standing up? Sitting down? Do you want a table in the middle of the room or counters around the walls? Do you need to be able to see your stamps or tools? Do you have tools that need to sit out, or do you want it all put away when you're not using it. Every space is so individual, I would sit down and start with a list of what you need then try to find the right "furniture" to match.

I just replaced my worktable and paper shelving. I had asked my husband for a new craft table, I wanted it on wheels and I wanted shelves under the top to hold punches and inkpads. It had to be small enough to roll out of the room so I could sweep or rearrange without a table stuck in my way

I have a friend who stamps standing up, she had countertops installed around her stamp room to accomdate her style.

And don't forget the lighting, you may need to add a desk to lamp or change out the overhead lights to give you better light.

Denise
Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Insane Embellisher

I told my dh yesterday that I wanted a peg board and he looked at me like I was crazy! lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLcRaFtErView Post
Lauren....I just recently organized my craft space (again!) I went to the hardware store and got a peg board and the hardware that fits into the holes on the peg board. They are meant for tools, but as I told my husband a stamper has tools too you know!! So all the things that I use all the time are positioned on the peg board. Then on the bottom of the peg board is a shelf that is about an inch above my craft table and lines the length of the table. I went to dollarama and bought some small tin containers and these house my markers, adhesives, pencils, ink pads, embossing powders, H2O's, sponges, and other things like that. Hope this helps you out a bit.
Oh, and just because you've put something somewhere doesn't mean it has to stay there...when your crafting and you notice that something would work better somewhere else then move it...(I just wish it could all stay in one big heap on my table..and be functionable at the same time. Lol.)
Take care and have fun!
Happy Stamping/Crafting.....

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I think I've revamped my craft room three times in the past year alone due to new tools coming and different tools being used ... HERE's a post on my blog with the latest version which I think will be it for a long while! I've finally figured out what works best for me. I know that I need to be able to see my stuff in order to use it. If it gets hidden, its stays hidden . So, with that in mind, I set out to find specific storage for the things I have and the things I *might* get.

Most, if not all, of my storage comes from IKEA, my fav store!! Relatively inexpensive and nice looking.

I have my punches hanging on kitchen rails (product name: Kroken). Also, using those same rails, I have hanging shelves for my cuttlebug and other tools. This keeps my tools within easy reach, but off of my desktop. I aim to keep my desks as clear as possible so I can spread out with my projects!

I just bought the floating shelves (LACK) for my stamps. I'd had them in clear rolling carts but found that it was a bit of a pain to go through the drawers to see which ones I felt like working with.

I have a big cube shelf (EXPEDIT) that houses all my papers, magazines, demo tools, "to-be-altered" items ...

Everything has a place!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

Well all this info is great and gives me inspriation to start. I am sure like someone mentioned that I will probably change it around a couple times before I get it right (will it ever be right LOL ) sooooooooooo if no one hears from me in a couple days tell them where I am !!! haha Thanks again for your input I will take all into consideration.