Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
Crimping Master

Default Help from Digital Stampers

Recently I purchased some stamps that are difficult to use in their stamped form. I need to stamp them and then work with them on a copy machine to re-size them. I know nothing about digital stamps and I am sure this is easy stuff for digital stampers, but I don't know where to start.

When you copy things to be able to color the images, does the type of copy machine make a difference? Should I use an ink jet or laser printer? Can you color with all mediums like Copics, Watercolors, Colored pencils and Gamsol? Does each coloring medium need a different type of printer? What do you do about paper? I know one of my printers will handle coverstock, but I don't think I can use cardstock.

I get a little overwhelmed just thinking about this. I don't want to toss the stamps, but I know I can't make them work as manufactured. Help is greatly appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

So sorry to see that you have to go through so much to use your stamps. I hope that my answers will help you out.I am not sure that the type of copy machine makes a difference, however, you may want to take them to a big box retailer to have the copying done, then use your printer to print the image and compare the 2 images.

As long as your paper you are copying the image too is the same as the paper that you were stampin on and then coloring, you should have no problem.

Sometimes you can change the settings on your printer so that you can print on different types of paperl
Old 02-28-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
Crimping Master

Thanks for your reply! So my Copics won't smear the ink or watercolor won't run the inks? Do you heat set before you color? I am sure that I will answer some of these questions on my own, but I am being lazy and asking all of you experts TIA
Old 02-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

Hi annie, can I just suggest you go to the stamp company's homepage, and check their Angel policy? The vast majority of stamp manufacturers specifically forbid the digital manipulation of their images, even if you have the stamp to stamp it out yourself.
dini and whim6915 like this post.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I have an ink jet printer (Canon PIXMA TS9020) that takes card stock wonderfully, and I am doing exactly what you're doing, in that I want to enlarge some stamp images that are sized for A2 cards but I'm liking a larger card and so need the image to be larger. So far I've learned that watercolor pencils are fine until you try to blend, then the ink smears into the coloring. Distress Ink blending and the inkjet ink are not a good match, either. at least not in my limited experience. Heat setting the ink made no difference.

Glad you posed the question. Looking forward to digi stampers insight.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Hi annie, can I just suggest you go to the stamp company's homepage, and check their Angel policy? The vast majority of stamp manufacturers specifically forbid the digital manipulation of their images, even if you have the stamp to stamp it out yourself.
dang! even if it's just for your own use? how can that be? (Off to research)
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Glad you brought this up! I was pretty sure that would be an issue when I read the OP's dilemma, but hadn't chimed in yet. Pretty much every angel policy I've ever encountered forbids this...

dini, lesliespringer and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Hopefully, digi stampers will chime in on best ways to color ink jet images or if there are better inks to use in your printer. Still curious about that.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:11 AM   #9
Matboard Maniac

When I have printed free digital stamps ( aka clip art) I found that heat setting with my heat gun kept the ink from bleeding most times.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:57 AM   #10
Crimping Master

Thanks for your replies! I forgot about angel policies in trying to figure out how to use this set. Duh!
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #11
Mad Swapper

When I've printed digital stamps, I've had to print them in one of two ways depending on the printer. When going to print, I clicked on the print option from the drop down menu, then clicked on Properties. With my Brother printer, I had to print using the Photo print option (even though I was printing it on cardstock) and that set the ink well for coloring with alcohol markers etc... With my Canon printer, I have to put it on the Fast setting, so the ink won't smear with markers etc... I have some stamps that have been a booger to stamp out. If you can't afford one of the stamp platform tools, there are videos on how to make your own on youtube or pinterest. I bought one of the off brands in the past, and it has helped a LOT!!! I also put a foam mouse pad or piece of fun foam underneath when stamping if I have trouble getting an even image. I hope this helps!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:45 AM   #12
Crimping Master

Thanks for the printing tips. I have purchased a couple of digital stamps but haven't even tried using them in years. The problem child stamps are the garbage haulers problem now
Old 03-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #13
Proud Fan Club Member

aw, I am sorry you had that problem. They were just too small for you but they stamped cleanly?
Old 03-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #14
Crimping Master

They stamped ok but size and scale were enough of an issue that I couldn't use them together as a set, or with anything else I owned. Their size would not allow them to be used alone on a standard card. I tried searching the web but only found a total of 3 examples, here, Google, company web site and Pinterest. I took that as a sign that life is too short not to cut your losses and move on. Thanks to everyone!
hoptownracer1 likes this post.