Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2006, 05:55 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Any Suggestions for friend/customer who has had stroke?

A dear friend of mine had a stroke 3 years ago, she has bounced back and doing remarkable (all with 3 small children, stroke happened days after giving birth to twins). Anyways, I have encouraged her to try stamping and it can be difficult for her at times because she only has the use of her right hand and she was left handed before the stroke! I have encouraged the 2 step stampin sets and was wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations on anything stamping related! I would appreciate it - Thank you!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 06:03 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

I was thinking about this too. I have a friend with CP and wondered what would be best. I think that bold images that don't need coloring in and collage-y type layouts, so centering or aligning things aren't so important. And maybe word sets opposed to alphabets. punches might work well too. But I wonder about cutting the paper? Maybe the card/envelope packages? but, still I cut so much paper that is not the actual card itself.

Robyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 07:36 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I dont' have any ideas, but I just wanted to say how sweet you two are for caring for your friends...You are very special people...and welcome to the board! I see you are new!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

My daughter was born with only one hand and she loves to stamp! She cuts paper using the fiskars paper cutter without too much trouble althout sometimes it moves. Punches are great, especially the lever punches. She loves to color in the images. The only thing she needs a a non-slip pad so things don't slide around on her (we use a product called Dicem). Feel free to PM or email me if I can help further.

-Joyce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also, if she has the non-lever type punches, there are a couple of different kinds of punch-helpers. They're wonderful! The non-skid mat is great... for a lot of things! It's really like having an extra hand.

Brayering backgrounds might be nice as well...you can make lots of beautiful cards just stamping images over the colored background...no need for coloring in!

I use my little 1.5" xyron to attach ribbon a lot. With my MS, some of my fingertips are numb, so tying knots and bows can be a problem. With the xyron, I just stick the ribbon on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you all for your kind words and great ideas. I know there is a new cutter out there that has magnets on it, maybe fiskars, that should help with sliding paper.

Thank you!
Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 02:12 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 183 Likes on 151 Posts

You can also slip your paper that you're cutting or card that you are working on, on a clipboard. The clip part holds the paper. If you also put the dicem on the back of the clipboard, it will stay in one place. That way she could color things if she wanted to and the cs would stay in one place so she could stamp on it.
She could use temporary tape on the back of cs to hold it in place while she cuts it. Or use the clipboard again to hold the cs and use a small cutter to cut her cs.
If you put dicem under the stampin scrub, it won't slide and will make for easier cleaning. You might want to look at an easier inkpad to use, not sure how easy SU stamp pads are to open with one hand. Sometimes it's hard with two! LOL. You can pm me if you have any questions. I've worked with children with physical disabilities for a lot of years and we've come up with some pretty neat ways for kids to do things. Good luck and God bless you for working so hard to help this woman.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 02:14 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 183 Likes on 151 Posts

You don't have to use dicem, you could attach the rubber stuff you use under rugs to the clipboard and scrubber. That is more easily gotten at any store. Good Luck.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 03:52 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I had a stroke two years ago and, thankfully, I have the use of my right hand back. (I'm right handed.) My upper arm and shoulder are a little stiff but I find that stamping is good therapy. I went in for surgery and woke up with a stroke. I can stamp all right, use the cutters, etc. However, I find coloring with markers especially difficult. Just one little shake and you have a mark outside the line and it's not very repairable. Coloring with pencils is a little better, as the mistakes are a little less obvious. But the things I found more confidence building and forgiving were crayon resist and coloring with the pastels. Maybe these two techniques will help your friend. Good Luck.
JoanK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

oh that must be so hard and so sad too.
I know that for working with unmounted rubber on acrylic blocks (I suppose it would work on CTMH blocks too) TAC just put out a handle that suction cups onto the back of the blocks. That might be easier to hold?

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Someone previously mentioned Dycem. This can be a great aid but can be a little pricey. But if your friends really enjoy stamping it would be worth it. Here is a site that tells you more about it:

activity pad
http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply...p?Leaf_Id=6621
or by the roll so you can cut it to the size you need
http://www.sammonspreston.com/Supply...Leaf_Id=920481

I have worked with Dycem in the rolls but never the activity pads. It offers a nice flat surface and I think it would be great aid for someone stamping one handed.
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

wheels

they are so easy to use, and would be a good replacement for background stamps that can be difficult to use with 2 hands.

Me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=thebota]Someone previously mentioned Dycem. This can be a great aid but can be a little pricey. But if your friends really enjoy stamping it would be worth it.

If you just want the non-slip aspect for items like the scrubber, rug hold will work or you can get small rolls of it in the shelf line section of the store (it's sort of waffle weaved, light weight.....I've also seem placemats made out of the same or similar material. Kayla uses the dycem to hold her paper from slipping while she's drawing or writings. It's a smooth, flat surface so it's better for laying paper directly on. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 10:29 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's right! CHALKS! As Joan said, chalks are an excellent coloring medium. Of all the different ways to color, chalk is the most forgiving, as it can be completely erased if you oops or change your mind.
Reply With Quote Likes