Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Have you ever submitted a car to a magazine?
Yes (How often? Ever been published?) 47 44.76%
No 58 55.24%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever

submitted a card to a magazine?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No, I haven't. I'm just not the competitive sort. It's enough for me to enjoy making cards and sending them to friends and family.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Yes, I have! It's not a competitive thing for me, I enjoy seeing my work published. If I'm able to inspire one person to go try something new, or to sit down and make the time to create, then that makes me really happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

yes, i've been published a bunch but i don't plan on it in the future.. it's a lot of work and not really worth it. i was burned BIG TIME by papercrafts not too long ago. i had a christmas tree published, then they emailed asking for it back to feature on a TV Show, and i was so excited, so i mailed it, AGAIN, and got it back without so much as a thankyou.. here's the kicker:

NEVER got paid for the magazine spot, NEVER got reimbursed for mailing it, TWICE (i live in canada so it cost me about $30 in shipping) and NO ONE from papercrafts will email me back. i've tried emailing everyone. no response. so needless to say, that much effort for no return.. no thanx..

i used to enjoy seeing my work in print, but the amout of organization it takes (for canadians you have extra forms to sign for out-of-country income and it costs a lot to mail altered projects to the states) to have cards regularly published is just too much work on top of my full-time (and more) career.. i hate snail mail, i hate paperwork, so it's just for me..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Yes I have, and I'd say at this stage I've had at least a dozen published, bewtween Readers Gallery and the Letters Page plus a featured article. But I hardly ever buy magazines these days, as either I have changed or they have become more and more marketing focussed. So I send fewer in. Also, because there is so little communication, you don't know till they publish whether they are going to or not, and with the UK magazines, that can be up to a year after you submit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 03:40 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

just don't think i have what it takes to be published, but i do enjoy making them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Submitted two cards to a magazine about seven years ago, shortly after I started making cards. It was to a magazine that keeps submissions and donates them to charity. They returned my two cards to me, so I figured my work wasn't even good enough for charity and never have submitted work to a magazine since.:rolleyes:

Honestly, I would love to try again, but my life's too busy right now to do all the submissions needed to get published. Blogging takes way less time and no postage at all, LOL! Besides, DH is giving me you-know-what for being so far behind in my scrapbooking. Gotta get back to that. In my copious free time. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I did a couple of times, but it's too much work in my book. I'd rather do Design Teams, at least get free stamps out of the deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Yes. I have submitted about 10 cards to magazines. I've been published in Sommerset Studio, Stampers Sampler, The Rubber Stamper, Vamp Stamp News, Stamp It! & Stamp & Scrap. I even wrote an article for Stamp It! years and years ago. It is so rewarding to see your work in print. I'd encourage everyone to do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Many years ago when Take 10 first started, I submitted some cards a couple of years; never got published so haven't any more. I just enjoy CASEing everyone else's cards.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I submit regularily. You definitely have to have THICK skin. Be prepared for lots of "silent" rejection (I say silent because most magazines don't let you know if you aren't selected, only if you are -LOL).

For the last year, I have been submitting to 4 magazines, 10 cards to each call they have. Occasionally, I have 1 or 2 selected for publication, but that is not the norm. I keep it up because I love seeing my cards in print -not too mention that my mom about cries every time and beams with pride when I give her the magazine!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I submit my cards/projects to magazines intermittently (I'm spacy and forget deadlines even with a calendar) and yes I've had several cards picked up by a variety of magazines.

More often than not, the cards are not selected. However, I still get a rush when a project is selected, enjoy seeing my work in print, my daughter and mother really like it, and it gives exposure to the manufacturers I love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, I've submitted, and had a few things published.

And, as Michelle said, it takes a thick skin, but, if you handle rejection well, and don't mind that the bulk of what you spend the time to create and submit will more than likely never appear in print, you may enjoy it!

It's a lot of work, and I already have to deal with lots of deadlines to contend with in my day job, so I just do it when I have time or happen to have something that already meets the call.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

How do you know when they have calls? Anybody have links?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For about a year and a half I used to submit to PaperCrafts magazine and was published a few times. It was so exciting to be published and PaperCrafts was very generous - not only did I get a check, they also returned my project and included 2 or more gratis copies of the magazine in which my work appeared and sometimes free scrapbooking goodies too. But that was in 2005-2006 back before they were struggling. I don't know how they handle things now.

As fun as it was, though, for every project that was picked up, two weren't. So there came a point where I decided that working under a deadline (I may be the world's slowest crafter) and the time involved making projects that weren't picked up wasn't worth it anymore. So I just do cards for friends and family and since they appreciate them that's fun too.

But that's just me. If you're not a slow crafter and don't mind the downsides - go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberAKAmomView Post
How do you know when they have calls? Anybody have links?
Here you go:
http://papercraftsconnection.com/submit-your-work/

Be aware most magazines work several months in advance.
Good luck!

Okay, I just noticed that they've not updated their submission section (deadline was 6/1) so you may need to email and request their pub call calendar. Since that was a call for Valentine's Day, the next call will probably be spring and Easter. However, it helps to tailor your project to what they're looking for so email them and keep checking back at their site.

Last edited by stampintoo; 06-20-2009 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I never had submitted a card. Mostly becasue I would have to keep track of company names, exact details... and when I use scraps and bits and pieces, who knows who manufactured that random rhinestone, or whatever??

I have had recipes published, though! I have been a staunch Taste of Home fan for years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Yes I submit on a monthly basis for my design team gig and have had some success. I would echo that a thick skin when rejected is definitely needed. I wouldn't count on getting rich, either!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I've recently started to submit cards and other stuff to a few places and had some things picked up. A lot of magazines publish their calls on their website so if there's a mag you're interested in then check to see if you can see a call there. My advice would be to target the pubs where your style fits unless you're willing to adapt what you make to fit a particular market (which probably takes some of the fun out of it!).

To say they work "several months in advance" is a bit of an understatement in my limited experience. For example, many pubs had deadlines for Christmas projects in February!

I think for the paying markets you're likely to get an acceptance notice and then some kind of contract to sign rather than just having to wait and see if your work turns up in some future publication - I think that's more common in the places that basically compensate you by sending a complimentary copy of the magazine your project appears in, IYSWIM. Most of the US pubs these days seem to ask for electronic submission in the first instance and then ask you to mail in the project for in-house photography if they want to take it up.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Submitted two cards to a magazine about seven years ago, shortly after I started making cards. It was to a magazine that keeps submissions and donates them to charity. They returned my two cards to me, so I figured my work wasn't even good enough for charity and never have submitted work to a magazine since.:rolleyes:

Honestly, I would love to try again, but my life's too busy right now to do all the submissions needed to get published. Blogging takes way less time and no postage at all, LOL! Besides, DH is giving me you-know-what for being so far behind in my scrapbooking. Gotta get back to that. In my copious free time. ;)
I just think you should know that that is crazy talk! Your stuff is fantastic, and I always can find some inspiration from your gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've submitted a few and just never heard back...so I haven't submitted in a while. I've come to realize that my style just doesn't match the style of PaperCrafts...which is the magazine I mainly read...so there's not much point submitting to them right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've only submitted once, to Take Ten. I sent in three cards, and one of them was published in the Winter 2008 issue. They forgot to tell me, though, and it was a pleasant surprise when I saw my card in the magazine!

Vera

P.S. Since they didn't send me a free copy of the issue that I was published in, they sent me the next issue for free instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I've submitted a few times and have a card that's going to be in Papercrafts in Nov. It's very exciting and I can't wait to see my card in the magazine. I'll submit in the future if I can, but won't stress if I don't get to submit. My only issue with submitting is the silent rejection. I can handle rejection just fine, but not knowing kills me--can I give the card away or do I hold on to it forever in case they want it?? LOL I like that Papercrafts tells you if you haven't rec'd an acceptance by a certain date then you're not getting one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Years ago I used to submit regualry to The Rubber Stamper and had about a dozen cards published over time. For whatever reason, can't really say why, I just stopped submitting. I've been thinking that I might start again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Red face My story

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeraView Post
I've only submitted once, to Take Ten. I sent in three cards, and one of them was published in the Winter 2008 issue. They forgot to tell me, though, and it was a pleasant surprise when I saw my card in the magazine!

Vera

P.S. Since they didn't send me a free copy of the issue that I was published in, they sent me the next issue for free instead.
OK - so how flighty am I? Years ago when I subscribed to Stamper's Sampler, I submitted a card - it happened to be an extra from a swap, so I thought, what the heck?! Months go by and I totally forget (what else is new?). I go to the mailbox to see that month's magazine. I happily page through looking at all the beautiful designs, and then stop in shock and amazement and am horrified! I begin ranting to my family... "OMG - that card looks like the one I sent in to a swap a while ago! I can't believe someone would take my design and submit it to a magazine and take credit... how dare they... what's that? Whose name is that? MINE?!"
Sorry to have accused anyone out there... Anyway, it was a fun surprise, as I realized I am on a constant journey of losing it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Yes, I've submitted a handful. Never been published, though.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #28  
Inking Addict

I've had a couple in a UK publication, and one in the late lamented Rubber Stamper - the very last issue too! I'd love to try for the Stampington ones but their deadlines are just impossible once my mag has made it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Yup! I've submitted and been published. It's very exciting, and I think it's totally worth it. The worst thing that happens is that they say no, thank you, and you have your creation to keep and use

eta: unless you do get published, and they don't compensate you, but hopefully that doesn't happen too often!

Here's my favorite:
http://www.stampington.com/html/wann...published.html

Have you submitted your work before, AmberAKAmom? Your cards are adorable

and they all lived scrappily ever after - my blog

Last edited by elliesmom; 06-21-2009 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: just saw Tobi's post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliesmomView Post
Yup! I've submitted and been published. It's very exciting, and I think it's totally worth it. The worst thing that happens is that they say no, thank you, and you have your creation to keep and use

eta: unless you do get published, and they don't compensate you, but hopefully that doesn't happen too often!

Here's my favorite:
http://www.stampington.com/html/wann...published.html

Have you submitted your work before, AmberAKAmom? Your cards are adorable
No, I haven't, but I've been thinking it might be fun. :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't been brave enough to submit anything yet. Maybe someday.
Reply With Quote Likes