Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Default have you ever gotten new customers by making halloween bags

have you ever made halloween toppers for candy and handed them out to kids, and had your info stamped on the back and then gotten a customer? or have you called a demo cuz you found that interesting?

i was thinking of doing that for halloween, handing out candy in little bags w/ the toppers, but wanted to see if that actually works. then again, now that i think about it, i may not even be home cuz i'll be taking my son out for halloween.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
Stampin' Fool

What a great idea think i may do this we usually only get about 25- 30 kids so this wouldn t be bad at all... free adveritisement thanks again for the tip girlie
rubber hugs
Dawn
My SCS Gallery #2468
Old 08-24-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

i usually don't get tha many kids coming to my house either, although there are tons of kids that live here. but of course every parent checks their kid's candy right? and maybe a mom will see it and think omg that is so cute, and then see my info and call me.

i dunno, i want to hear if someone's actually tried this and gotten some customers.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:45 PM   #4
Mad Swapper

I did this 3 years ago--I handed out about 60 little bags with fall leaf toppers and fall Hersheys kisses. I had a lot of parents think that they were cute, but not one response or lead much less order came out of the effort. Maybe that was just my neighborhood and that fewer people knew what stamping was and even fewer what stampin' up! was about. I think the little blurb on the back of my topper went like this: "Contact me to learn more about the creative ways you can use rubber stamps" followed by my name and phone number and a line about being an independent SU! demonstrator. Maybe I should have been more specific and stated something about cards and scrapbooking.

Just my experience...
Kelle
Old 08-24-2004, 07:52 PM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

hmm kelle, that's too bad. you're right maybe if it had said something about scrapbooking or making cards it would've been more interesting cuz they were probably thinking "why do i need to make candy toppers w/ rubber stamps?" hmmm now i'm thinking i don't want to do it, although i think su is pretty well known here, i live in socal. and i think a lot of people scrap around here.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:06 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

I think it's a great idea, I would include scrapbooking in it as well. Everyone scrapbooks these days.
The only thing that is a failure is effort not made
Old 08-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
Polyshrink Goddess

maybe i will do it and just leave them in a bowl outside my door in case i'm not home taking my son out trick or treating. i just hope one kid doesn't come and take all of them!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:09 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

last Halloween my neighbor lady made little candy bags with stamped toppers just for the kids in our immediate neighborhood. she wasn't/isn't a demo but it was the cutest thing I ever saw. she even stamped my kids names on the toppers. if she had been a demo and put her info on it i would have made contact.
I work at an elementary school and will prob. do something similar but at work, hoping to drum up some business with the staff and parents.
Good Luck
Old 08-24-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

I did about 200 little matchbook sucker things (about the size of a matchbook, punch hole in bottom for sucker stick to go through) for the kids on my bus with a sucker & Burger King French Fry coupon inside and a note about stamping & scrapbooking. I didn't hear back from ANY of the parents! I was bummed. Oh well. I have a different route this year, so i'll probably do it again. I give treats anyway, might as well try to get some SU business from it.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:38 PM   #10
Polyshrink Goddess

this is sounding like not such a good idea! maybe the kids were eating the candy before the parents could check them, the older ones that is. i think only the younger kids actually let the parents check before eating. or maybe i'll hafta make em extra cute.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:14 PM   #11
Mad Swapper

I did! I got four of my best customers out of it! I'm doing it again this year too.

Joy
Old 08-25-2004, 01:46 PM   #12
Polyshrink Goddess

that's encouraging, maybe it just depends on where you live.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
MLZ
Rubber Obsessor

I did the candy topper last year for my son's preschool class as well as to hand out to the neighborhood kids. I didn't get any interest. I don't think it hurts to try because you never know when the right person will see it. I will probably do something similar this year myself.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:18 PM   #14
Polyshrink Goddess

i'm thinking i will do it if i have enough time to make them all, just to see what happens.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:27 PM   #15
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lburanas
maybe i will do it and just leave them in a bowl outside my door in case i'm not home taking my son out trick or treating. i just hope one kid doesn't come and take all of them!
I had this happen one year ... I was really sick and didn't feel like answering the door, so I left the bowl out. The first group of kids that came by, I heard them saying to each other .. "let's take the whole bowl." I was too sick to even move, so they made off with the whole thing!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:42 PM   #16
Polyshrink Goddess

that is awful! ok, maybe i won't leave it out! ha!
Old 08-25-2004, 04:07 PM   #17
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

When we are not home, I leave the bowl of candy with my neighbours and the kids get double treats at my neighbours house. Just an idea.

Take care, Brenda
Old 08-26-2004, 08:58 AM   #18
Polyshrink Goddess

I made these for DD's kindergarten class (Halloween, Valentines & Easter!) but got no responses. I think the designs were ripped to shreds by the time the kids got home though. I think I'll do it for Halloween at home this year. That way, maybe the bags will make it home bofore they are ripped apart, LOL!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:09 AM   #19
Crimping Master

I think that this is an awesome idea for halloween treats...especially since most children are told no eating till I check it this way mom will see the treat...in school the kids know that it is safe to eat so there is a really good chance no mom ever saw them... JMHO since I have a child like that LOL!!!

Besides stamping the topper I was thinking it would be nice to throw in a business card... Around my area it has become common practice to put in your name and address with candy...

Good Luck! I look forward to seeing what becomes of this thread after Halloween!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:33 AM   #20
Insane Embellisher

i thought about doing this but i'm moving 8 days after halloween... i thought it was a great idea, though!!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:08 PM   #21
Matboard Maniac

Default maybe people need to see your name more than once

I think maybe people need to see your name more than once before they actually respond. You don't always know exactly where your leads come from. What a novel idea to advertise and it only takes a little time. I'm going to add that to my advertising campaign. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-26-2004, 06:54 PM   #22
Kookie Creator

I hate to be a 'bummer' but if my kids got something cute for their trick or treat outing and it had advertising on it...including a business card...I'd be appalled.

Halloween is a holiday for kids to be kids, dress up, ring on doorbells (not many do that anymore in my area...most go to the mall), etc. I guess I may be looking at it differently and not as a business venture as I'm not a demo...if you put your address label or name and/or email addy on it that would be fine so someone could contact you...but to include a business card and a tag line with a 'treat' is really a 'trick' in my book.

Maybe I'm way off base, but do you put your advertising on your kids' goody bags from birthday parties, invitations, Christmas cards, etc.????
Old 08-26-2004, 07:00 PM   #23
Polyshrink Goddess

why would you be appalled? kids are getting FREE candy that i paid for, it's not like i invited them to a birthday party and then decided to advertise in their favor bags. companies do it all the time- free pens w/ their names and logos on it, etc. it's not like passing out business cards at a funeral. i don't think a label on the topper w/ a demo's contact info and a line about su! is a resource for creative crafts is pushy or wrong. when you buy candy it has all the company info on the wrapper of the company that made it, what's the difference?
Old 08-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #24
Crimping Master

Quote:

I hate to be a 'bummer' but if my kids got something cute for their trick or treat outing and it had advertising on it...including a business card...I'd be appalled.
I didn't try to offend you with that idea it is just people in our area put their name and addresses on all candy because of the nasty people out there that ruin and try to hurt kids on Halloween!

I just thought that this was an easy way to identify yourself of who gave the cute treat to their kids...without having to handwrite alot of information...
Old 08-26-2004, 07:06 PM   #25
Kookie Creator

I think that's a great idea... I often ask my kids 'who gave you that?"...especially if it's something unique... and they can't remember (nor can my husband who takes them trick or treating)