Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever used a Rubber Stamp Mat?

Has anyone ever used a Rubber Stamp mat/pad and what did you think about it? It's a mat or pad that you place under the CS that you are stamping and it's supposed to provide a good stamping surface and give you really good impressions. Just curious if I should invest in something like this or not so I wanted to get y'alls opinions.

Thanks,
Christine
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 10:57 AM   #2  
LSN
Glitter Guru

My upline actually turned me on to something like this for solid surface/ large stamps. We actually use the foam sheets that you can purchase at hobby lobby/ Michaels under the CS. It does seem to help! And the foam sheets themselves are very inexpensive.

HTH!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 10:58 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

While I haven't seen this particular product, I personally wouldn't invest in it. First of all, if your rubber stamps are good quality, it shouldn't be necessary. And secondly, if you are having problems getting a decent impression, try putting a magazine or mouse pad underneath. HTH!

~Trish
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a mouse pad under where I am stamping. And to make it even better one of those ugly company freebies from some type of convention but hey it was FREE! And also, I don't mind poking holes in it either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah!
While I haven't seen this particular product, I personally wouldn't invest in it. First of all, if your rubber stamps are good quality, it shouldn't be necessary. And secondly, if you are having problems getting a decent impression, try putting a magazine or mouse pad underneath. HTH!

~Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking I'm cheap

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketgirl96
... anyone ever used a Rubber Stamp mat/pad ...what did you think about it? ... if I should invest ... so I wanted to get y'alls opinions. Christine
Only for a few of the really large stamps that have a big solid area. But, I did NOT purchase one from a stamp store or demo. I bought a placemat at K-Mart for $1. One side of it is shiny/smooth. The other side is stiff foam. HTH
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm the only one out there in the world that actually owns a real rubber stamp mat. I have yet to do a side by side comparison of stamping on the mat and stamping done just on my table. What I do like about it, is that it defines my stamp surface and therefore I seem to be able to keep my stamp table neater since I got it. Just a weird side benefit I guess.

If I get a chance tonight I will try to do a side by side comparison tonight and see if it really makes a difference or if it's just a placebo effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I don't have this exact product, although I did see it at JoAnn's recently. I use a sheet of fun foam under my cardstock. It really does help, especially with larger stamps. I don't have to stand up to push on a stamp anymore. I get perfect coverage every time! I don't like to stamp without my foam mat.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah!
First of all, if your rubber stamps are good quality, it shouldn't be necessary.

~Trish

My stamps are all good quality, only SU in my house! But I still get better, more even coverage when I use my fun foam mat under my work. JMHO.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default stamping pad

I am another one who uses the craft fun foam sheet to stamp on. It definitely gives a more consistent image than stamping on the hard table. The thing I particularly like about the fun foam is that it is slightly larger than a normal piece of paper -- I place several pieces of used computer scrap paper on top of the fun foam and stamp away! When the scrap paper gets inked up or sticky with glue to the point it bothers me, I give it a toss and another sheet of paper is immediately ready to use.

I agree that having a sheet-sized area that is totally reserved for stamping helps keep the work table useable on a busy, messy day!

I would say save your money on the special stamping mat, buy a foam sheet for about 50 cents or less and see if you like it. With all the money you saved, you should be able to buy something fun from SU!

Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I use a stamp mat and find it helps define my stamps. It is really good for the Photo Stamps. It also defines my "stamping area" and helps keep everything orderly.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I have never heard of this before! Thats why I love this site... you learn something new every day! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone for replying to my post. I think I will try using the fun foam and see if that makes any difference. You guys just saved me a bunch of $$. Thanks! Now I can go spend it on SU stuff! hahaha

You guys are great,
Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I haven't ever used one, but I keep the SU paper pad (100 sheets for $9.95) on my work surface and use that for stamping. I also use a mouse pad for large and/or background stamps when I have problems getting the middle to stamp.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just use old mouse pads, I really hope people use those instead of purchasing something marketed to stampers... sometimes I get annoyed at all the useless products packaged for the "stamper/scrapper" .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Stamping mat

I attach a clear centering ruler to the bottom of the mat. I double face tape to along along the bottom edge. It then becomes something you can stick your cardstock down into so it can't move around plus you can center your paper using the measurements. Works great for stamping verses inside card and the "stamped" message on the back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 03:36 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by melanie737
I attach a clear centering ruler to the bottom of the mat. I double face tape to along along the bottom edge. It then becomes something you can stick your cardstock down into so it can't move around plus you can center your paper using the measurements. Works great for stamping verses inside card and the "stamped" message on the back.
That's a great idea! Thanks for the tip.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 07:24 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I didn't realize how uneven my stamping surface was until I got the stamping Mat from JoAnn's. It really works well for me. It's $5.99, I think, and I used my 40% coupon so it was well worth the cost....even if you had to pay full price. Now I get a consistent surface.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lightbulb I feel dumb!

I saw one of the stamping mats at a store a long time ago. Didn't think much about it then but have been wondering lately if I should get one. For my work area, when I have people in to stamp with me, I have one of those white molded plastic folding tables (like at Sam's Club) and it seems really hard to stamp on. Its kind of textured and not very level I think. But when I stamp alone I use a desk that seems to be fine. So I don't want to buy mats for everyone else if I don't need them myself. I also have a card table I'd like to use ta times but it has a padded top and didn't think that would work at all for stamping. I was thinking a hard surface would be best. But now I see all of you that use mouse pads or fun foam and Im baffled. I just never imagined something soft would work for stamping on. I feel very dumb. I'm going home tonight to try it. Might have to go get some fun foam before I go home! LOL That just seems weird to me, you'd think it would "give" too much.
Learn something new here every time I visit! LOL

Thanks gals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Hi all

I was given one of these as a Christmas gift. Our group does a chinese switch and that little sweetie got almost wore out before we finally quit and it was MINE!! I love it. I actually cut it in half (it starts out about 11x17). I don't own a stamp THAT big. One half goes in my tak-along and the other stays on my table. It is actually thicker and more dense than a mouse pad. I get such a clean, crisp, easy image. I don't have to 'stand on it'. I'd spend the $6 to get one of these instead of a mouse pad any day. JMHO

Hugs

Ruthy
Reply With Quote Likes