Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard time giving away cards I like

My mother asked me to make her a baby card. I did so and am happy to give this card to her. Yet, I did 3 challenge cards this week for no one in particule and loved each one. I cannot bare to part with any of them, which is silly, as someone would like to get one of them. (I think! LOL!). When someone asks me to make a card, I CAN give that one away.

I know this has been brought up before ... I was curious. For some of you, are there certain cards you NEVER send and keep forever? If I could duplicate the card, I would feel better, but often it is the DP, which makes the card and I might not have any left. I finally got the courage up to send my latest creation away to a friend. Near killed me to do it. Not very generous, is it? :rolleyes:

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
but often it is the DP, which makes the card and I might not have any left. I finally got the courage up to send my latest creation away to a friend. Near killed me to do it. Not very generous, is it? :rolleyes:
At least you had the courage to use the DP. I have a pile of DP I just love and I'm afraid to use! That is one of my goals, use up my stuff. No matter how much I love something, use it. So I totally understand where you're coming from.:(

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #3  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

this is one card I can never give away or sell.
CC148, Winter Herbs by NANCYRUTH at Splitcoaststampers
I do sell as many of my cards as I can to defray slightly the cost of my habit, but I could never sell or give this one away. I may be able to give it as a gift if I framed it and knew it would get a cherished spot in my friend's home... I think part of the thrill of this card was that it got over 90 comments, and that had NEVER happened to me before or since! Good thread Denise! Were you thrilled to be the featured stamper on Sunday? I cased you in my gallery!
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL.
I am glad I am not alone.
I sent to my dad in Europe some samples and I had hard time putting my fav cards in the envelope.
Oh yeah, piles of dp ,tell me about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

If I give it to someone I know appreciates it then I like giving it to them. But I would never give away one of MY favorites to someone I know will throw them away.

As long as I have the picture then I'm ok with not keeping my stuff. I feel like even if I can't 100% make it again because of DP or embellies, then I might be able to make it better with new stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have a hard time giving away my special cards. Once I've taken a good photo of them and displayed it in my studio to admire -- I figure it's time to send it to someone else. Of course, I'd make sure to send it to somebody that'd appreciate the work -- which is pretty much everybody on my mailing list since I know a lot of "Do-ers"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 08:34 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

No, not strange, I feel that way about some of my cards, too. I have a box of my favorite cards that I wish to keep and I consider those my portfolio, sort of an assortment of my best work that I can keep to see my progress over the years. I do give some of my fave cards away, but sometimes, I do so after having displayed them first on my shelf and then I'm ready to part with it and give them to a good home. When I create something knowing that it's intended for someone, it's somehow easier to part with it because I knew it wasn't mine to keep to begin with.

You put so much of yourself in a creation, it's normal to feel a bit attached to the end result.

A few years ago, I did a Christmas card with the Paris in the Spring stamp set. There was a lot of coloring, cutting, sponging, shading and glueing teeny tiny bits involved, so I'm not giving this one away. It's not something I could easily reproduce and it's something I was (and still am) very proud of, so it is staying in my "portfolio".

Cindy

Visit my gallery! ... or my blog (Yes, I caved!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Until the beginning of the year, I only made cards for an occasion, so I knew I was making them to send them off. Now that I make cards several days a week, I have a harder time. I recently became a Card Angel, so I am using up my stash to send to my Chemo buddy.

However, I don't think I can ever get rid of this one b/c it took me way too long to make. WT171 - Let them eat cake by MaryAnnK at Splitcoaststampers

Right before I saw this thread, I was deciding what size shadow box frame I needed to buy to frame it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have sent or given away ALL of my cards so far. Now, I haven't been stamping that long, maybe 6 months seriously, 6 months before that I was trying to get into it but didn't have time. I take pictures of all of my cards, so if I really love one I know I can recreate it. That helps ease the pain of sending one. Plus I have heard from so many people about how much they love to receive these cards. And that HAS to make you feel good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I used to feel like this but then I realized a) after a while I don't like the designs anymore and b) They aren't giving anybody any joy sitting in their box. And that's part of the fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I too have those *special* cards I can't give away, ones that have been published or got a lot of comments etc.... BUT i hear you about keeping a card with a certain DP that you like.. What I do to solve this, is ALWAYS be on the look-out for that special paper. When I go into a store I always go straight for those brands of the papers I want again (for me it's that Provo striped one, anything BLUSH (basicgrey), a KI fall-themed paper)... SEE? i know them by heart..
so try doing that. stock up on the fav DP's, then give the cards away.. (This from the woman who is in possession of at least 200 cards..)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have lots of cards I can't part with. I have had to with a few if I didn't have time to make one. I do take pictures of them all. I plan on one day creating wallet size pics and putting them with the cards in a binder so if the one I made gets sold I will know which one I need to create again.

I try not to get so attached but if I do I make sure and make an extra for me unless it took a long time to make and then sometimes my husband tells me to keep it and I have to go make a different one.
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.� Eleanor Roosevelt

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryAnnKView Post
Until the beginning of the year, I only made cards for an occasion, so I knew I was making them to send them off. Now that I make cards several days a week, I have a harder time. I recently became a Card Angel, so I am using up my stash to send to my Chemo buddy.

However, I don't think I can ever get rid of this one b/c it took me way too long to make. WT171 - Let them eat cake by MaryAnnK at Splitcoaststampers

Right before I saw this thread, I was deciding what size shadow box frame I needed to buy to frame it.
I just wanted to say what a great card you made! I don't think I could give that one away either ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

I used to feel that way, but now that I'm in possession of a good camera--and a Splitcoast gallery--I don't hang on to them anymore...well, maybe for a little while. :mrgreen:

Besides, I love the reaction I get from people when they receive these cards. When they ooh and aah, it boosts my ego a little bit. :p

One thing I just did was join the RAK group. That way I have many reasons to make cards and give them to someone I KNOW will appreciate them.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

This is so funny. My hubby and I got into a fight the other day over a card he gave away. I really liked how it came out and hadn't even had a chance to take a picture so I could duplicate it. It was one of his co-workers birthdays, so he just grabbed the first birthday card he found. I was SOOO mad. He didn't understand why. I guess I have control issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #16  

I haven't read the other responses yet. But I get over this by taking pictures of each of my creations and saving them on my computer! I have file folders with the name of each stamp set and each sample I make with a stamp set I place in that folder. That way if I need inspiration, or need reminding what i made, I have a picture. I could always duplicate if I wanted to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I make multiples of each card. I keep one in my "samples" binder; this ways I always have one for future reference. I tried just keeping scans, but I like the real thing to see all the details. Sad to say, but they become my "friends" and I just can't get rid of them.

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I easily give my most precious works of art away--to my husband--and then take them back after the occasion passes. Same goes for my kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

If I make one I really like, I'll display it until I get tired of it and then I'll send it away.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by abcimaView Post
I easily give my most precious works of art away--to my husband--and then take them back after the occasion passes. Same goes for my kids.
Me too;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

i hoard ALL my challenge entries...

and a few others

i have duplicated this one but still have/hoard the original

my fella frank by momis mama at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I give my favorites to my mom. She saves all my cards and i know I can go back and look at them again if needed. I have alot less trouble with that since uploading pictures of them to a gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

I don't really have a problem sending any of my cards away....I send most of them off. Some of them take me a lot longer to make, but I still send them out. For instance.....this card:

Window Shopping with the Girls by Mothermark at Splitcoaststampers

This card took me a long time to make and I really liked it but I sent it to an on-line friend. I guess the reason I feel this ways is because I have pictures of every card I have made in my gallery and I figure I can always view it there and make another if I so choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually don't have trouble sending my cards away because I made them for a specific reason. But what I don't like is knowing that the person I am sending it to is probably going to throw it away eventually. I haven't asked anyone to send the card back to me instead of throwing it away - yet.

ETA: What I haven't given away are the cards I've received in swaps. I can't bring myself to give them away because I know most of them I wouldn't be able to recreate because I either don't have that stamp or the paper or don't know how to do the technique used. And I would feel bad knowing someone put all that work into it and I gave it away and it will probably get thrown away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Hmmm- I have a few I find very hard to give away. But my DH finds it harder than I do, LOL. He says *You can't give that one away*- but if I kept them all, I'd be running out of space. The extra special ones stay for ages on the piano, but in the end there are very few that I have kept for more than a year. (Of course, DH gets my special efforts, so I get to keep them anyway, LOL).
Funny, the ones that have been published are the ones I am least inclined to keep. Maybe because I have the magazine cuttings - I don't know...
But I have photos of them all, and even if I don't have some of the papers or embellishments anymore, I could still make something close enough if I really wanted to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I stamp to make cards to give away to others.. I make cards for family and friends.. but a big portion of my time is cards that I make to send to deployed troops. It makes me feel good to know that the cards I send out might make someone smile or laugh when they receive it.. especially if they are somewhere that's not the nicest of places.. it's very rewarding.

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~

Last edited by airbornewife; 06-21-2008 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: corrected wording
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, Mothermark! How could you give that one away?
Reply With Quote Likes