Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Graduation card and gift?

Hi All!

I need your opinions and advice. My husband is a youth pastor and we get invited to numerous high school and jr. high graduation parties. My question is this... is a card of congratulations enough? Or do we have to include a gift? If a gift is proper... what's a proper gift to give? Is $10 each too cheap? Even so, I would be spending over $100. So far we have been invited to 11 graduation parties! TIA!

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Under your circumstances I don't think anyone would expect you to give money to each and every invite. I think if you stop by the party (if you can) and give a nice card you are showing that you care for the graduate and are honoring their special day.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with Debbie. Slightly different but when I married I invited a couple of my High School teachers who were also my coaches etc. I was floored when one of them gave me a gift as I knew they couldn't do that for every student. I never expected it and wouldn't have thought less of the teacher if he hadn't.

Oh I have digressed, however my point is that people in position of mentoring loads of kids aren't really in a position to give a gift to every one of those kids - as he is a youth paster I think if he had time to write somes quick words of wisdom in the card that would be a fantastic and much cherished gift in itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I agree with them. I think a special note or card is great in that position is fine. I would however if they are very close to your family and spend alot of time with them. I would give them a little something extra. That is if they would invite you as a close friend anyways and not just as a pastor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by make'n'takeView Post
I agree with them. I think a special note or card is great in that position is fine. I would however if they are very close to your family and spend alot of time with them. I would give them a little something extra. That is if they would invite you as a close friend anyways and not just as a pastor.
Thanks! This is a wonderful compromise. There are a few families that we are close to and would be invited "just because". I'll keep this in mind.

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

When my DS graduated last year, the youth pastor gave him a copy of the Dr. Suess book "Oh the Places you'll go". He wrote a great note on the inside cover page and my son really thought it was a great gift. I in turn "borrowed" his idea for several grad gifts of my own last summer!;) HTH.

Karrie G.
SCS Member #8990

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/karrieg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Graduation gift

The year my son graduated from high school his principal and his wife were invited to many of the parties. And surprisingly they went to many. His wife made a beautiful 4x4 little wall hanging for the graduates. She stamped a saying, colored a few parts with a sharpie marker, and glued it behind a pressed paper frame. That's it! no glass or anything and she placed it in an envelope. Very simple, very kind, very appreciated. Good luck! Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by skdeleeuwView Post
Hi All!

I need your opinions and advice. My husband is a youth pastor and we get invited to numerous high school and jr. high graduation parties. My question is this... is a card of congratulations enough? Or do we have to include a gift? If a gift is proper... what's a proper gift to give? Is $10 each too cheap? Even so, I would be spending over $100. So far we have been invited to 11 graduation parties! TIA!
I agree with the others, a nice card would certainly be enough. If you wanted to, you could make a small gift - like a graduation themed nugget box with three hershey nuggets in it, or something similar that is inexpensive but fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

This doesn't help for the boys, but for girls, I've been making personalized note cards for several years. I just make a template in MS Word with their full name across the top in a cool font. I do this four times so I can cut it in fourths and make "Postcards" Does that make sense? I print it on confetti cardstock that I get at Office Depot on my computer. I cut using my paper cutter and add envelopes. This year I found some great graduation ribbon at Hobby Lobby half price and wrapped them with that. I included a stamped card.

We go to a large church and I am also often in a quandary as to what to do. The ones we are close to, I want to give a gift to, and the ones I don't know are often the ones that need a gift the most (living in the children's home, etc.) This year there were 16 graduates I think, so even $10 really add up.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For my birthday this year a friend on SCS sent me a Baskin Robbins $2 gift certificate and that just about bought a cone. I gave one to my daughter (27) and she about fell over with happiness. We never treat ourselves to ice cream and she thought that was a great idea. It is our new favorite CHEAP gift to everyone! People laugh and smile and then head straight to the ice cream store!
Reply With Quote Likes