Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2008, 12:20 AM   #41
Glitter Guru

I use to try to skimp on supplies but I found out you get what you pay for. I do try to cut corners where I can.
1. PaperTrey Cardstock for Copics - Whisper White SU for Gamsol/Pencils - I use cardstock for my base from here is Classic linen its nice and thick and i buy a ream 500 sheets for $20 - I also get my star dream paper here - http://www.anchorpaper.com/retail/ Its local for me here in Twincities but they also deliver. I only use SU in colored because its great and i can use my color wheel to get great combos and its worth the money.

2. I tried cheap tapes but now i buy only ATG tape and then 2 sided red liner tape or the tape Taylored Expressions sold before.

3. I use Palette or Stazon Black in depending on what I am doing - Copics i use Palette cause it doesn't smear and anything else STazon. I use SU colors. I do want to try the Adronick which Kitty said but I do have the Distress ones all the colors and know what. I haven't even tried them yet LOL i guess i might have to pull them out.

4. Ok skimp on Brads i get these wherever i can find them on sale because i go through so many doesn't pay for me to get SU's. I use mostly Joanns when they come half price i stock up.

5. Oh patterned paper i buy single sheets sometimes or else i wait for the great DCWV glitter stacks and Joanns when they have them half price. Gotta love glitter.

6. Love my Cropodile - Cuttlebug - Quickutz can't live without any of them.

7. I love ribbon but mostly get mine straight through May Arts cause i have a wholesale account with them. OMG my storage room has more rolls than it can handle. I get it at Michaels too when it comes on sale.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 AM   #42
Queen Chat Box Chick

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelineeBeenieView Post
Dollar rama is awesome. I bought these cute little wooden boxes of felt flowers for a dollar each. They are soooo nice I don't even want to open the packages.
What a great thread!

Looks like I should pay my Dollarama a visit today
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-14-2008, 05:08 AM   #43
Kookie Creator

Love the ribbon at WM-rolls of grosgrain-and Target dollar spot.

Love the 3 pk refill of double stick tape at WM (someone else mentioned this.) I put it in a table top dispenser that I got at the dollar store.

I cut the buttons off clothes going in the rag bin. If my kids' clothes are too stained to pass along or donate, I cut the buttons off to use in my crafts. I've also saved charms off the kids' sneakers!

For layering, I'll use paper that I've used for punches, or coluzzle, etc. When it's layered, you can't tell the middle is missing. I do this for sb layouts also. I like to use a solid color base page, then put a pp on top. If I'm only showing an inch of the solid color, I'll cut the whole middle of the solid out w/my paper trimmer. If you start the blade 1 1/2 inches from each end, it cuts out the middle nicely w/o leaving any cut marks on the edges.

I don't skimp on markers, though. I'm a little picky w/them.

Great thread! Thanks for starting it!

H
Old 01-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #44
KLF
Kookie Creator

I always buy the cheapest envelopes I can find--usually at Walmart. Even people who save and cherish my cards throw out the envelopes.
Karen
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #45
Hardware Hotshot

Love the GP paper from W
al-Mart too.

Another paper that I love is from TAC. I do not dare for most of the white core, but their white, black, navy, kraft, olive and red is heavier than SU and GP. So I buy that for card bases that need to hold a lot of layers.

Dollar store rocks! Wooden clothes pins, 20 for a dollar. Wrap up your ribbons for a fraction of the cost.

OT for paper, stamp and ribbon boxes. Great price and way kewl!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 AM   #46
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Don't buy anything just because it is on sale. That is the biggest money waster of all!
Amen to that!

Things I Go Cheap On:
* Brads, eyelets, small embellishments
* Ribbon
* Envelopes
* Stamp cleaners
* Colored pencils

Things I Shell Out The Money For:
* Quality cardstock
* Ink
* Tools, punches
* Markers
* Stamps
* Glitter
* Embossing powders
* Adhesives

Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #47
Gabfest Goddess

Seriously, what is up with the cardstock thing? Why is it so hard to find good CS? I think SU's is the best for colored CS, but I prefer PaperTrey for white. I think that is one area where the general market is really lacking... good, sturdy, pretty CS. Bazzill is nice, but it isn't sturdy enough for me for my card bases.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #48
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Dollar rama is awesome. I bought these cute little wooden boxes of felt flowers for a dollar each. They are soooo nice I don't even want to open the packages.
I totally forgot all about these! I have them and also got some great halloween ones. (Need to go now and check out Valentines!) For white core cardstock, Walmart sells the same brand that Michael's does for $10 (Canadian) - about 1/2 price - i found that white is good for embossing and then sanding. This is a great thread! Thanks for starting!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

What a great thread! I have been looking for a good white cardstock so I am off to check Paper Trey!

http://creativelyjen.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #50
Crimping Master

I agree with Joan - don't buy it just because its on sale. I fell into that trap a lot - and I ended up with stuff I really didn't need - I have to store it and it sits there mocking me. For me, its the same way with those huge stacks of scrapbook paper. Most of it I never used. SO now I buy what a really like and use it.

I do like coordinated kits sometimes because I use the stuff - the matching paper and embellies are right there.

(just did a craft corner purge, so I'm really feeling the pain of all that "extra" stuff right now.)

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #51
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Going Cheap can be a good thing and also a Bad thing!

I don't like using those foam dot's at the Dollar store. I find that they don't stick as well as they should. To me a waste of my money.

I Use 3M Double mounted Foam Tape, I purchased at SAM's club 2 rolls for about $10.00 Which will last me about 2 years or more.

Cheap Cardstock I don't use! It tears very easy. and doesn't look good on a card. You can tell it's cheap CS.

I prefer TAC Bazzill CS or SU CS, White Premium card stock from TAC is awesome! as well as SU White card stock. And I have used and purchase the Georgia Pacific CS from Wally world.

I will purchase DP from Mike's or Hobby Lobby when it's on sale. Or if I can do without it....I'm a Paper Hoarder.

Ribbon: I have purchased from Hobby Lobby, Mikes, Wally world, and the dollar store.

I found some really nice ribbon the other day from the Dollar store for a dollar each. It seems to be good. The color's are pretty.

I'm also a Ribbon Hoarder.

I've learned that purchasing a Crop-a-dile was the Best purchase I've made in a long time. It's Wonderful. It doesn't wake my dh up at night and it doesn't scare the cat's.

Punches I will be getting more of these cause they are cool! Purchase with my 40% off coupon or through TAC at 30% off my Demo discount.

I Use to purchase CHEAP! but not anymore....It's doesn't pay in the long run!!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #52
Hardware Hotshot

Here's my humble opinion on whats worth it and whats not…
Worth the $$$:
  • High quality rubber, I've been so disapointed by cheap stamps and they sit unused.
  • SU Paper, the only exception is the high quality designer papers from my LSS such as Basic Gray
  • SU ribbon - Yes you can get the cheap spools everywhere but I hate running out of the ribbon and not being able to get more when I need it. I also get irrked about the colors not matching and often the quality. With SU ribbon I have piece of mind there's pently on the spool for a large project and if I run out I can get more. It's also a great deal when you look at the cost per yard.
I'll go cheap for:
  • Neutral Metal accents - I pick up my metalic brads, clips, and pins when Joanns has these for 1/2 off. Not only are they cheaper but I think the brads are higher quality than SU.
  • Costco Scrapbooks - Love these! I think I have about 8 that haven't even been taken out of the plastic. I stocked up when they were $12.95 for two leather albums, you can't beat it.
  • Mono in bulk - Place my large order once a year
Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #53
Rubber Obsessor

Love this thread ladies!

I've felt the burn of *sale* things, and yes, they go mostly unused.

I've started buying quality coordinating paper lately, some from SEI, Basic Grey, Wild Asparagus, and SU, because I have a hard time matching various papers from various companies (ok, matching in general is a challenge for me!)

I love the foam sticky tape on the roll at the Dollar Tree: cheap and VERY sticky.

Dee
Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 AM   #54
Insane Embellisher

Default Foam Tape Question

I Use 3M Double mounted Foam Tape, I purchased at SAM's club 2 rolls for about $10.00 Which will last me about 2 years or more.

Do you use the foam tape in place of dimentionals? How thick is it? I like to pop stuff up about as high as the grey left over rubber foam. How does it compare? I don't pop stuff up very often, cause I can't find anything I like.
TIA.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:04 AM   #55
Full of Malarky

I also use the 3 M Mounting tape in place of dimesionals almost all of the time. It is about 1/8 of an inch thick - you can double the layers up if you want a more ( 1/4 inch) popped up item.

I must say that I find Bazzill cardstock far superiour to SU Cardstock, and for a fraction of the price ( esp in Canada where SU prices are so much higher . ) At my LSS I can purchase a 12 by 12 inch piece of bazzill for 75 cents. It is quite a bit heavier than SU cardstock - and much less flimsey as a base for cardstock than SU paper. There are also FAR more colours in Bazzill CS. I also love the fact that bazzil paper is textured. I do have SU colours and I use them - but it is so much more expensive!

That said, I do purchase the SU WW for stamping and colouring my images, and the Bazzill white just isn't great for the gamsol technique.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #56
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by attherookeryView Post
Speaking of Dollarama - I've just picked up a ton of embellishments for Valentine's Day - 50 red heart brads/$1, pink and red assorted size glass hearts, red cloth hearts, and more I can't think of right now. I bought one of the plastic towers (3 inches in circumference, and five containers high) to put them all in. Now I want more towers to fill with other colours of embellishments - pretty to look at, great to use!
Went last night and got all of these! They also had felt hearts (like the little flowers) in the boxes, and were putting out more stuff ... may need to go back!
Old 01-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #57
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I also use the 3 M Mounting tape in place of dimesionals almost all of the time. It is about 1/8 of an inch thick - you can double the layers up if you want a more ( 1/4 inch) popped up item.

I must say that I find Bazzill cardstock far superiour to SU Cardstock, and for a fraction of the price ( esp in Canada where SU prices are so much higher . ) At my LSS I can purchase a 12 by 12 inch piece of bazzill for 75 cents. It is quite a bit heavier than SU cardstock - and much less flimsey as a base for cardstock than SU paper. There are also FAR more colours in Bazzill CS. I also love the fact that bazzil paper is textured. I do have SU colours and I use them - but it is so much more expensive!

That said, I do purchase the SU WW for stamping and colouring my images, and the Bazzill white just isn't great for the gamsol technique.
Did all you Canadian folks notice that the prices have changed for the stamps on the dormant list? I don't know if they changed for the catalogue (including the paper) as well but they ar 7% lower if the stamp is on the dormant list...it's a good thing.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 AM   #58
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post

Really? I find SU and Bazzill to be pretty similar in weight and whatnot. And SU!'s IS cheaper (compared to lss prices in Canada anyway) - the smooth 12x12 runs to 8.83 for a pack of 20 (so .44 a sheet) - even with tax (10% here) and shipping it's still only .53/sheet.

I recently got SU!'s textured CS (the In Colors) and it's pretty much the same thing as Bazzill (just in SU colors) - and I am pretty snobby when it comes to CS - I'll only use SU, Bazzill, Prism and of course my Papertrey White. And with tax and shipping SU!'s textured CS is still cheaper than Bazzill...

I do love that Bazzill has a TON of colors - my current fave is their Doodlebug line
Old 01-17-2008, 09:10 AM   #59
Kookie Creator

What a great thread. I use double-sided carpet tape. I just cut off whatever size piece I need to secure ribbon ends, etc. I also stick a bit over the backs of brads, bc I find, especially when they're in the corner, they sometimes prevent the corners from sticking down. The DS carpet tape works well. I don't know how much it costs for a roll. But I do know that a roll will last a long, long time, when you're only using a wee bit at a time.

The other thing I use is drywall tape instead of magic mesh. I haven't coloured it yet, as I just use it white, but I really like the look of it. Here's an example: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=66461

I recently found packages of stick-on rhinestones at Future Shop. They're meant to be used for decorating cell phones, etc., but when I saw them, I immediately thought of card making. You can see them in the sample I posted above. Here's another card where I used them: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=66461 There were 300/package and they went for $.99. Unfortunately, there was only one colour, plus white, per package. But I picked up a number of red/white; blue/white and pink/white packages, so I have what probably amounts to a lifetime supply!

The other thing I bought really cheap was a heat gun (used for paint stripping) for $10 at Canadian Tire. It works great!

I completely agree with those who do not scrimp on paper and ink. I love SU stuff. Not so much feeling the love for the DP though. I bought dashing dp at Xmas, and was disappointed to find that some of it was useless to me. The really large polka dots are not well suited to card making (IMO), and there were a lot of sides of diagonal stripe. Could have lived without that. I dislike buying stuff that I have little/no use for.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #60
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamperView Post

Do you use the foam tape in place of dimentionals? How thick is it? I like to pop stuff up about as high as the grey left over rubber foam. How does it compare? I don't pop stuff up very often, cause I can't find anything I like.
TIA.
I use the 3m mounting tape and they are definitely not as thick as the leftover rubber foam. I haven't measured it but it is probably only 2/3 the thickness, if that.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #61
Die Cut Diva

Sucribing for all the tips.

the one thing that I did, was stop buying SNAIL and Tombow and I just bought the ATG Gun. I got it used from a lady in my yahoo group for $30 including Shipping and it really was never used, still in the box with papers and all. That was a great deal, because I get refills that are 36 yards and I can do alot with that. i went in with a few people and we bought 144 refils and it was really cheap for even the acid free stuff, which is important because I scrapbook as well.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #62
Stampin' Fool

i buy make up sponges (the wedge kind n the round) at walmart 32 for about $3
i get my white cs at either walmart or staples. All envies are from Staples.
i get my sheer ribbon at michaels i believe 20 yards of nice sheer for $5.95
WaterColor paper from Mikes only 12 9*12 sheets for $5 but its so nice to use.

i have found prima like flowes at $1 stores taht are quite similr to primas.
i get the 1oz. jars of EP from M's with a coupon instead of from sU.

and Wish RAK is awesoem for getting tons of images instead of buying the stamps

and i get the miracle tape from stampo.com this tuff rocks, super strong and is cheap, 55yards /roll for about $5. and their shippingt isnt too bad either

I get all my colored Cs from SU, along with my inks and i have the markers. i decided to get SU's markers nstead of copics when i saw julie buhlers NCNP tutorial (just type NCNP in teh gallery search for samples)

never buy rubons from a $1 store tho most dont work right.

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Old 01-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #63
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all the great tips! I love buying embellishments from Oriental Trading!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #64
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

OOPs...the attachment thing didn't work:

Get out! Those are awesome! This is such a great thread.

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #65
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamperView Post

TIA.
There's an idea! Keeping the left over rubber trimmings from your stamps as foam dots......and to think I have thrown out so much! Not any more I think I have just decided to re-purpose a container just for that! Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #66
Matboard Maniac

Wow, great ideas here! I will be going to Wally's world, tommorrow to get some cardstock. Now why didn't I think of this?
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #67
Glitter Guru

I need to send my mom to sams for me for the 3m tape which i buy a roll almost everytime i go to Target but they arn't very big for $2.99 so would love to get some huge rolls. If you don't have an ATG gun i would highly recommend one. http://www.framingsupplies.com/ is where i get my tape and got my gun from. I would buy another one if it went tomorrow. Love it.

I get my envelopes here which is like 250 envelopes $10 http://www.anchorpaper.com/retail/asize.htm great envelopes for the price. Its again local for me but when i am lazy i have it delivered in a large order. Also get my White Classic Linen Cardstock for card bases 500 sheets for like $22 you can make 1000 A2 cards with this. I buy about 2 reams a year i guess. StarDream paper is a good price too and if you are local can just go buy a couple sheets if you want they sell it buy the lb.

Makeup sponges are a great idea definately on my next shopping list.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:19 AM   #68
Polyshrink Goddess

The paper wishes catalog has tons of embellishments and some paper, ribbon etc. They match things up too if that is what you are looking for. They are really pretty cheap in comparison. Just type in Paper Wishes catalog in your browser search.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Old 01-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #69
Die Cut Diva

This has to be one of the most informative threads on the whole forum. I find it interesting to hear what people purchase in what part of the US and the differences in prices. Same is true for the foreign countries.

I'm trying to make Valentines cards and putting pink or red against the white pack of paper I bought from Michaels looks terrible. Makes the white look dirty. I decided to use my Cover weight bright white matted photo paper. I guess that shows"you get what you pay for". Michaels paper was 99 cents on sale. Normally $3.99 for 50 sheets. It's only about a 60 lb paper.

Patti
Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #70
Rubber Obsessor

We have mostly Dollar Tree stores where I live. I have found a few things there, but not the quantity you talk about for the Dollarama. Will keep my eyes out for one. I was given 100's of little pre-tied ribbons in all colors. Want to use them on my little gift cards. Any advice about the best adhesive?

I bought white and cream card stock at Office Depot. I use a lot of parchment paper and love the look of everything I've stamped on it. JoAnn's had patterned 12 x 12 at 9 for $1.00. Was able to get great coordinating pieces in several color ranges. Perfect for a few projects I'm working on.

I like CHEAP embellishments. Love getting the dollar bargains. Also Hobby Lobby has 50% off on there stock often. I now have a huge supply because JoAnn's had a great sale the next week. Plan to use the brads as centers for flower petals I pulled off stems. Thanks for the idea about using reinkers to enhance the color -- or make it match. Because I don't mail the gift cards, want to try to coat the petals with fabric stiffener. Hope the added dimension will punch up the card. Any one use something else that works better?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #71
Mad Swapper

I've found some brand names at the $1 store but for the most part I try to use the best quality for my scrapbooks and nice looking and does what it's suppose to do for my cards since it's not something I'm going to keep forever and who knows what ppl do to my cards after they get them.

I tried going cheap but it's tough and a lot of time I ended up not using them and giving a lot of stuff to my 4-year-old. So instead of cheap I compensate by only buying what I need. I don't have a work area full of embellishments. I usually embellish at the scrapbook store and use the leftovers for my cards or another page. I spend my money on tools, stamps, ink/markers/pencils, and paper.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 AM   #72
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacpamView Post
Here is what I have been using for my ivory colored cardstock for about the last 8 years.

Wausau, Royal Silk Natural, smooth finish 80#. The last time I bought from a local store it was $15.99 for 250 sheets. I probably bought it when they had an extra percentage off also so was less than that. I have been very happy with it. I think it matches the SU vanilla well. I originally picked it for this but it has been so long since I have used SU basic white and vanilla, I can't remember.

I love Dollar Tree's foam dots. I always go through their craft area when I get there. A few months ago I found rolls of the stitched ribbon like the kind SU sells. Limited colors but love the stuff. I also check Tuesday Mornings craft area when I am there. Not much luck but once in a while....

I have been using Bazil papers lately. I have found them at an incredible buy from a web site. They are less expensive than SU by a lot and I love the texture. I have grown a bit weary of SU colors after so many years so Bazil has been an exciting change. I still have all the SU's and still use them but am having so much fun with the BB papers. I made many stationary sets for Christmas gifts this year and never tired of all the new colors of paper that I had. The recipiants also loved the textured papers. They were a hit!
where do you get your bazill paper. I love bazill.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #73
Glitter Queen

Default Bazzill Cardstock Online - Canada

Bazzill is definitely worth the money. Most brick and mortor stores charge over a dollar a sheet where I live. I order all of mine online as it works out to quite a bit cheaper, even with the shipping.

Last edited by Jovi; 01-22-2008 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Promotional / Removed OP Store
Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #74
Die Cut Diva

I have been really lucky to get a ton of Bazzil for next to nothing at frugalities.com right now everything is like 46% off retail. Great deals, check them out.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #75
Glitter Queen

What a GREAT and information-filled thread!! I LOVE the drywall tape idea - can't wait to tell DH(any reason to go to home depot, lol). Another reason I LOVE this site!!
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #76
Compulsive Stamper

I'm a fairly new stamper, and I've tried to cut corners on some things (like the heat tool, embossing buddies, papers, inks), and each time have regretted it and ended up throwing it away. The heat tool I bought from Hobby Lobby, well, it was smoking out the end!! I've just learned that buying things elsewhere usually ends up costing me more because I usually have to buy it twice.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #77
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, this is great! Y'all are saving me enough money to be able to buy more stamps! Yippee!!! I started using the backing of legal pads (and smaller) and old gift boxes for chipboard but since I don't scrapbook I don't know if it is acid free. I also buy white or tan grosgrain ribbon and rub it over my ink pads for custom colors. Has to dry but I never seem to have the right color in my stash.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #78
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by whim6915View Post
. I also buy white or tan grosgrain ribbon and rub it over my ink pads for custom colors.
I do this too! It is a great way to get all of the Stampin Up! In Colours without spending a fortune on ribbon! Also dye flowers from the dollar store to match!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #79
Die Cut Diva

Does it evenly cover all the ribbon? I just bought a huge thing of light ivory ribbon, 50 yards worth and I would love to try it that way.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #80
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGeneralsWifeView Post
Does it evenly cover all the ribbon? I just bought a huge thing of light ivory ribbon, 50 yards worth and I would love to try it that way.
It works okay. I'm not thrilled with the technique. It's messy, and it has to be done beforehand. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. My MIL raises and butchers her own chickens. I prefer to have my chicken boneless and skinless and under plastic wrap, and I'm willing to pay extra for it.
My A Muse Studio