Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 03-22-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Smile Glossy/Matte/Shine effect over images

Hello...I would be extremely grateful for some help with this query. I would like some advice regarding using either a gloss or matte varnish over inked images. Some images are laser copies coloured with pigment inks and water based markers, and several are stamped images which include dye inks (including Distress Inks on which I have used a spreading technique), pigment ink, and also embossing. These images have taken me HOURS to get JUST RIGHT and I really don't want to spoil them. Sample after trial after trial after sample and I would like to set a slight sheen on some. I don't want to use a dimensional glaze - that effect would be too much...just a little bit of shine. I have used an art fixative already on the images that were laser printed and pigment inked which is fine for its purpose, but it doesn't leave that bit of shine that I'm going for. Do I need to spray fixative on the stamped and inked items before using these mediums? The mediums I'm thinking about would be products like Golden or Liquitex etc. Is this right? Do they need to be thinned/can they be thinned ? What's best?
Has anyone used these or do you have any advice, recommendations etc? I'd be extremely appreciative of any information or help. May I just add that I'm in Australia, so may not be aware of certain products, shops, etc...If they are online..well that's fabulous....if not please forgive me if I have to ask for more info....I'm interested in all that you may have to tell me....My kind regards and thanks to you all........
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi and welcome! I moved your thread to our General Stamping forum where I'm sure someone can help! Please let me know if I can help you with anything on the site.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store | My Online Classes
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Unread 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

I have used the mediums you mentioned, both matte and gloss, and both with and without thinning. Put a drop or two on your image and spread it around a bit to see if it's the right consistency. That's the way I test to see if it needs to be thinned --probably not the most professional way. If you do want a thinner coat, thin it slowly! I often mix directly on the project --also not professional, but it works for me. Keep testing. I've also used Mod Podge as a finish. I like the new Satin Finish Mod Podge a lot, but I've also used gloss, matte, and shimmer Mod Podge. If you've already used an art fixative, you don't need to spray another fixative before the gel mediums or Mod Podge. Actually, these function as fixatives. Another reason I like Mod Podge is that I can thin it with water, and still get a glossy or satin finish.
Unread 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Cardstock Collector

Lovely....I really appreciate your help...I was thinking about Mod Podge this morning while I was waiting for the bus to take me shopping...so It's very serendipitpous that I have come home, raced to the forum and THERE IT WAS!!....I was wondering about decoupage medium as well - prompted by the fact that what Postie had delivered to me this morning the book "Collage Couture by Julie Nutting" and I was flicking through that at the bus stop and she has used this in her creations. (Very Nice Book)....Mod Podge is every expensive here, but I think I will have to bite the bullet and buy it. i found it the other week and I have to say that the fabric/craft store was very well stocked, but there were so many varieties I got a bit overwhelmed. May I ask if the satin you are referring to is the original with the Orange label, or one of the ones labelled specifically for paper, e.g. Mod Podge Paper Matte (Blue label) or Mod Podge Paper Gloss(Green label) It's lovely of you to reply. Thank you very much Louisa May. Thanks very much also to Understandblue for rescuing me from the spot where I originally plonked down my query. I appreciate your kindness.
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Polyshrink Goddess

My pleasure to help anyone on artistic adventures! ModPodge is a decoupage medium, and gel mediums can be used that way too. "Decoupage medium" is a marketing term. If you can find something cheaper than ModPodge called decoupage medium, use that. Here ModPodge is cheaper than most gel mediums. Satin finish ModPodge is the original orange label. I find no difference between the orange and green labels on cardstock (even thin cardstock), water color paper, or mat board. There may be a difference on text weight papers. I wonder if that "paper" geen label isn't just a marketing ploy. Originally (because I remember when ModPodge first came out -shhhh!) it was marketed as a decoupage medium for attaching paper to other surfaces. But we soon found it was also good for attaching paper to itself.
On your recommendation I looked at Collage Couture on Amazon, and I think I have to have it! I really like her inclusion of drawing lessons.