Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giving it all up

Oh my.... where do I begin. I have been a scrapbooker for over 10 years. Last year a friend introduced me to SU when she had a party. I bought some journaling stamps and some stamps to make X-mas cards (they never got made by the way :rolleyes: ). Then it happened... I became sucked into this vortex called stamping! and several thousand dollars later here I sit. Do I make cards? Ya... sometimes.... but they are always last minute and since I'm doing them so late, they look horrible. lol I seem to scrapbook more than I stamp. I've tried incorporating stamps into my books, but I never like the look and end up buying some sort of premade embellishment. I keep contemplating selling all my stamping stuff since it just sits here most of the time. Am I completely nuts? Will I regret it? Maybe I should just downsize some of it. I don't know. Maybe part of it is because I am in this "get rid of the clutter" phase right now. Help me decide!

Kristi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

You will probably regret it. I wanted to clean up my clutter too so i am in the process of UM 300+ sets wow talk about a lot of work but then again if you don't use it. I use my stuff on a daily basis its just that i am getting a lot of it. One thing tho i don't believe you ever get what u paid for it if you resell. Maybe some Retired stamps if you have them u will but everything else doubtful. Might want to keep that in your mind as you are contemplating. I hate getting rid of stuff and getting zilch for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Hey send it to me...!!..I want the stuff...I dont get it heer in Idnia..& it is expensive..4me..to buy it..!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Have you tried the daily challenges here? Start a blog? I found that before i started the challenges and blogging, i wouldn't use my stamps unless i had a workshop/class to teach and then it felt like "work" vs fun. Now, the challenges get me going, inspired and i have improved- i have cards on hand that i actually like and the blog keeps me in touch w/my customers and makes me want to create to post new stuff. Also- if you're thinking "what on earth would i say on a blog?" - well, any friend or family member would love to have that handy, especially if anyone lives far away...

Check the gallery for sets you have, see what you really love, send what you don't to poor Shivani in India (Shivani- have you discovered the Buy/Sell/Trade forum? ) and definitely don't dump it all!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Hey I did checked the sets in there..but most of them were quite expensive even after sale..So I thought itz better to go 4 new one..instead of old ones..coz they surely will be in bad shape..!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Well...stuff is surely expensive for me...as its in dollars..& I earn everything in rupees..!!
Iam sure...$1----Rs.40. sumthing..!!
Juz guess how expensive wuld for $40 4 me..!!

Dont say Poor Shivani...itz juz because I have to convert dollar into rupees..!!
And check my wallet before shopping sumthing ...!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShivaniView Post
Well...stuff is surely expensive for me...as its in dollars..& I earn everything in rupees..!!

Dont say Poor Shivani...itz juz because I have to convert dollar into rupees..!!
Shivani, in this case, the expression "poor Shivani" does not mean poor as in you don't have any money. It's means unfortunate because it's hard for you to get stuff easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Sorry I felt pretty bad...abt it..!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole4312

Hey !!!!!!! Send it to me .... have you ever tried buying SU goodies in the UK .. IF you can get it (via ebay) it costs an arm and a leg ... :(

Don't give up yet ... keep going with it - once you've found your own 'style' you'll regret having got rid of everything - honest !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 02:57 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You can do both. I was a scrapbooker first but it took a backseat to stamping and I'm now about 2 years behind with my photos. But every now and then I'll get another page done.

You don't need a lot of stamps or supplies to be able to make a card now and then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 03:00 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't stamp much when I first started because I had no idea where to start. Then I discovered SCS.....daily challenges, product info, tutorials, etc. I was stamping up a storm in no time! I have some stamps that I am getting ready to sell because I never use them and I want to buy more current stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 03:09 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not done much scrapping the last year, however, we all need greeting cards. Look ahead to when you need a card, I use the site for inspiration,
to even case a card. Coming up with the idea is the hardest, so I have started a collection of ideas for cards in a three ring binder. Then allow a time to make an assembly line of half a dozen of the same cards without verses inside, you will develop a collection of cards on hands, then it becomes rewarding_I would regret getting rid of mine, they can be therapy
from routine work. good luck Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 03:17 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

What you are saying is exactly how I felt about scrapbooking. I had accumulated all this "stuff" worth hundreds of dollars over the years and I'd barely made any pages. I was starting to feel guilty and not even enjoying the process.

Then I went through everything and got rid of what i haven't touched in over 6 months and things I just knew I wouldn't use. I donated it all to a cancer survivor's special program. Not only did I de-clutter, I felt great about helping someone else out. I don't miss any of the stuff I got rid of. In fact, I have been scrapping more now than I was before.

Maybe take an inventory of the things you just love and then go back to the bare essentials. You can always rebuild your collection again. And I think the challenges are a great idea.

Hey, maybe we should start a scrapbooking with stamps challenge...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
Hey, maybe we should start a scrapbooking with stamps challenge...
This is a great idea. I also scrapbook and try to use my stamping on pages. I usually make embellishments, such as tags, frames, or borders using my stamps. That way I can coordinate with the papers I already have (and I have TONS). I have found that the ATCs can be a nice addition to a page as well.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kristi -
Just a thought - do you stamp/scrap with other friends? I get a lot more accomplished when I get together with fellow stampers...well, maybe not always that DAY ('cause there's so much chatter going on), but it seems to spark some creativity. See if a SU demonstrator or two in your area has open stamping nights - they can help with a creative block! And if one doesn't offer stamp/scrappin' camps, find one in the area who does!
Good luck to you!
Stach
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalScrapperView Post
Maybe part of it is because I am in this "get rid of the clutter" phase right now. Help me decide!
Kristi, I was in that phase a month ago and I didn't have enough time to sit down w/o being interrupted to make cards and I felt guilty I had all this stuff and didn't have time to use it properly so I got rid of it all on Ebay - my paper, stamps, ink, tools, almost everything. Then after my get rid of clutter phase ended and my house was completely organized and cleaned, I was bored and wished I had my stamping stuff back! Especially after the new catalog came out! I was so depressed, mean, and crabby for a couple of days until (and I am ashamed that I acted this way) my hubby gave me $150 to buy a few things again to at least get me started to do a little again.

In a nutshell, I regretted it and you may too. Just store it away somewhere. Someday you'll be ready to do it again and you'll be glad you saved everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

There was just an article in the latest Scrap and Stamp (or is it Stamp and Scrap?) magazine. Dee Gruenig said that after finishing a scrapbook page, she also makes a card or two using the scraps. She said that way she only has to clean up once AND she has all of the coordinating stuff out.

Personally, I'd say that you shouldn't sell it off yet. I've gone through a few stretches of time in the last 15 years where I haven't even touched my stamps. Even now I don't stamp every day. If I stamp once a week, that's a positive. (And we don't have kids AND I work from home.) Before I met my DH, I stamped on the weekends. I've been trying to carve out an hour or two on Saturdays and Sundays to at least be IN my stamping room. (Organizing or stamping...)

What helps me is when I sign up for swaps. I just sent off six cards that utilized the Cuttlebug. Other times, it might be a bookmark swap. It gets me stamping and that might spark something else so that I stamp a few more cards.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 06:14 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
Maybe take an inventory of the things you just love and then go back to the bare essentials. You can always rebuild your collection again. And I think the challenges are a great idea.
I need to do this with my paper. I have so much of it and haven't even touched it in the last year.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I'm right there with you ~~ for some reason I thought I'd have more time to stamp once summer arrived. Here it is, half over & I think I've made a total of 5 cards!! I haven't stamped in 2 weeks & don't foresee doing so any time soon. Just too much other stuff to do!! I'm having a rummage this week (part of why I'm so busy!!) & I keep looking at my pile & thinking I should really sell some of it!! Or all of it!! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I am a die hard scrapper. I never make cards unless it is at club but...I always use my stamps. Sometimes it is just to make the background paper which coincidentally is always color coordinated with my pics cause i make it. I use a lot of our accessories and other co. embellishments. Purpose to use your stuff. if you want PM me and I will send you my email. We can challenge each other and send pics back and forth of ways we have used our stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 07:04 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

but don't sell off your stuff. You will regret it. I did that once when i was a career demo instead of a hobby demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I tried that this year. I sold of a bunch of my sets. I don't regret this at all.
I think getting rid of old stuff is good. It clears up mental space as well as physical space. I decided not to scrapbook anymore because of school and family commitments and it felt great, like a burden had been lifted. However, I have a ton of stuff and tried to sell it dirt cheap and cant' sell any of it!!
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalScrapperView Post
I keep contemplating selling all my stamping stuff since it just sits here most of the time. Am I completely nuts? Will I regret it? Maybe I should just downsize some of it. I don't know. Maybe part of it is because I am in this "get rid of the clutter" phase right now. Help me decide!
Kristi, I downsized my stash a few months ago and I don't regret it one bit. I got rid of about 3/4 of my stash. It was a little painful to see all that stuff go but I don't miss it at all now. It's like a fresh start! I have room to play in my craft area and I have easy access to all the tools and goodies that I do use. It's a great feeling. I say go for it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to box up some of the stuff I don't use and just put it away for now. If I need it, then I know where to find it. I'm going to keep out some of the basics that I can use for my scrapping. I know I'm going to regret it if I sell it, but I think I just needed to "hear it" from others. Thanks again.

Kristi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

boxing it up for a while sounds like a good plan...if after 6 months you haven't touched it or it is not worth the hassle taking it out you might want to consider selling. But this way it is out of your way, but you still have the option to use it.

Maybe you would even see what you do use and then get rid of the rest?

come and play the INK IT UP CHALLENGE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hey I did checked the sets in there..but most of them were quite expensive even after sale..So I thought itz better to go 4 new one..instead of old ones..coz they surely will be in bad shape..!!

Just another opinion on the buy/sell/trade. I have made several purchases and have never been disappointed in the quality and the customer service, if that is the right term. The stamps have been clean, and hardly look used. I do watch for good prices, and often combine purchases so that the overall postage is not so much. I do agree, except for a few really popular retired set, the seller may not get great prices.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

There was a thread in the military demos page I think asking for donations of supplies. That might be an idea for some of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Okay Okay so I gave all my stamps away a few years back when beading hit me like a force from another place and just got the stampin "bug" again. Re-organize, hide them for a few months, but DON'T get rid of them... I would hate to think of another individual digging around in the craft room like a maniac chanting " I didn't really give them all away did I?". BTW 11 and 7 year old boys find this type of behaviour quite comical and worthy of repeating to the neighbors!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

yes... I too was bitten by the beading craze... that stuff is going on Ebay pretty soon.... It hasn't been touched in almost 2 years now! lol Some of it is brand new and still in the package. LOL

Kristi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Shivani-- I just feel bad that it's so expensive for you and you're soo excited about this hobby! So not "poor" as in no money- just "poor" in the sense that you have a more difficult time acquiring stamps and cute stuff to play with! Sorry for the confusion- it's an American Slang thing! I used a "poor" choice of word for you! Is there a particular set you want?

Hijack over- back to regularly scheduled thread!

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

Default I know what you mean!

I am the same way, and was feeling guilty about it! :mad: I used to scrapbook all the time...same as you, collected all this stuff and now I'm into SU (and LOVE it) but it seems like there's no method to my madness. I have 3 small kids under the age of 4 and by the time I get to "go" (in the basement) to stamp I'm beat and just want to change a load of laundry and hit the hay. ANYWHO... I know what you mean. It's aggrivating, but I think if you kept at least most of it, you won't regret it, but this way you can get rid of some things and feel like you've accomplished something. I am also trying to look for a GREAT way to organize my stuff, maybe that would help you too. My hubby has a table for me down in the basement that I can keep my stuff on, no questions asked. (of course he wouldn't dare because there is stuff EVERYWHERE- not only on that said table) If anyone has an organizing idea, maybe it would help both of us out.

Play with your kids, it's the BEST investment you can make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

one thing you can try, and yes there are regrets when you let something go...
is get a box and put the some you are thinking of getting rid of into the that box, then in a closet, your space will have more room and maybe with less clutter you will feel free to just play and enjoy your stash...

if you don't go into the box any time in the next 6 months you probably won't miss it if you do decide to get rid of it...

hth,

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

HEY that is a good idea! I have tons of stuff that I could get rid of that way.
Reply With Quote Likes