Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gift sets

When making a stack of cards to give as a gift set I have a couple of questions:

1. how many cards to do you tend to make for a set on average? 4, 6, 8, more?

2. Do you make all the same general card with different greetings? or do you do a variety of different styles of cards?

3. If you do different style cards-what types of themes do you stick to? Birthday, Thank you? Thinking of you? Blank?

4. How do you package them?

I've done sets in the past for my kids teachers and they just love them. But I'm just curious how everyone else does this for gifts. I'd love to hear from anyone who is willing to share.
Thanks
Lynn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Last year I made several sets of assorted cards for gifts. For each gift, I made 10 different cards, with various sentiments, but all were blank inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #3  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 607 Likes on 427 Posts
Default it depends

Last year, I gave sets of 8 cards to my son's teachers. They were all the same. But each teacher got a different set. I just gave my aunt an assortment of 12 birthday cards, she loves to send b-day cards. I have also given sets of 6 cards in the tote bags made from cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I gave card sets as teacher gifts last year as well - I did 10 cards with the same stamps/pattern paper/colors, but different layouts and did them all Thank you's or blank. I put them in a matching card folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

For me, it depends on the occassion and the reciever. I just made a gift for my SIL...this time it was chicken themed, different stamps all with chickens, different sayings, some blank, and 10 cards. My mom got about 20 mixed cards - birthdays, sympathy, wedding, baby and thinking of you. For my sister's 40th birthday, I gave her 40 cards. Last year, my daughter and I hosted a bridal shower ....my daughter wanted to play games (and I thought that it was just old ladies that wanted to do that), for prizes, I stamped sets of four cards. I used one set for each group and just made cards that fit the stamp set....birthday, thinking of you, note cards, etc. Depending on who the cards were for, I've put them in gift bags(those were the centerpieces for the tables at the bridal shower), tied them with a pretty ribbon, put them in a covered tin or box, used a wicker basket, used a clear plastic box with ribbon, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I am also interested to see what everyone does. I've done a variety as well. For SIL gifts I will just choose 10 or so cards and tie them together with a nice bow. I purposely try to choose a variety--therefore they don't match at all.

On the other hand, my mom has asked me to make OSW sets of 10 cards so that she can give them away as presents. Of course these all coordinate but have different sentiments, etc.

Just yesterday I gave a good friend a gift that included a tote with 8 matching note cards (all exactly the same and blank) and a matching notebook.

Recently I got some of the clear plastic boxes that hold 10-12 notecards + evelopes from clearenvelopes.com. They are about 50 cents each, but I think they make a set feel more 'professional'. I have used a few for sets that I have sold and plan to use them for a boutique that I am doing in November.

For sets that I am selling I do wonder if people prefer a varity set or an all-the-same set? What type of card do you use most? I think I use mostly birthday and then thank you as a close second.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I like 5 for a small gift, 8-10 for a larger gift. I try to stay with a general theme.

This set of cards by 11Valerie11 is one of my favorites. It's all the same card, just in different colors.
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I like to package up gift sets in pkg of 6....usually all occasion...thankyou, birthday, thinking of you, sympathy and some holiday cards if it's close to a certain holiday!!
I package them up and tie raffia around them.......put them in a small gift bag....if I have a plain gift bag then I stamp on that as well.

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually just do 8 of the same kind of card in one set -- all birthday or thanks (in different designs) or all blank inside of the same/similar designs -- kind of what you might find in a set of purchased notecards.

For packaging, somewhere along the way someone gave me a template for making a box out of 8.5x11 cardstock that fits the notecards perfectly. So, I make that in a coordinating paper and stamp the same image as the notecards on the outside so it matches. People go nuts about those little matching boxes, it's so funny!

-- Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMR
Last year, I gave sets of 8 cards to my son's teachers. They were all the same. But each teacher got a different set. I just gave my aunt an assortment of 12 birthday cards, she loves to send b-day cards. I have also given sets of 6 cards in the tote bags made from cardstock.
How do you make these tote bags? :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lforcey
I usually just do 8 of the same kind of card in one set -- all birthday or thanks (in different designs) or all blank inside of the same/similar designs -- kind of what you might find in a set of purchased notecards.

For packaging, somewhere along the way someone gave me a template for making a box out of 8.5x11 cardstock that fits the notecards perfectly. So, I make that in a coordinating paper and stamp the same image as the notecards on the outside so it matches. People go nuts about those little matching boxes, it's so funny!

-- Lori
ooooh..I'd also like this template forthis box...how do I get it? :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

This year I plan on giving a set of monogram notecards in a wooden box that I purchased from Michaels. I plan on decorating (stamping) the box to match so that the box can still be used once the cards are finished. Will probably put 10 cards and envies in each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

This year I plan on giving a set of monogram notecards in a wooden box that I purchased from Michaels. I plan on decorating (stamping) the box to match so that the box can still be used once the cards are finished. Will probably put 10 cards and envies in each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillstampin
sounds like a very nice gift!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I make six usually. Usually all the same or very similiar.
Here is how I package them. I got the idea from here somewhere--which I think someone else picked up at an SU! event.

Notecard Set

I have revamped my design a bit since I posted this set. I add a ribbon handle to resemble a purse, round the corners of the front flap, and punch a half circle at the top of the front side of the page protector (using 1-3/8" circle punch) to make gettin the cards out easier.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2006, 05:04 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Here's what I did last year for the teacher's and bus drivers at the end of the year.
Filled tote bags

Empty Papercraft tote bags

Female cards to put in totes

Male cards to put in totes

Now, I am going to be making 2 sets of note cards for my daughter's halloween carnival for them to give as prizes. For these, I am also going to put them in a tote, and it is going to have 3 halloween cards and 3 thanksgiving cards, all of them different (6 different cards for each set). The two sets will be the same (so only have to make 2 cards of each card).

I like seeing sets that have the same stamps and layout, with different colors of paper, looks so nice!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3
Here's what I did last year for the teacher's and bus drivers at the end of the year.
Filled tote bags

Empty Papercraft tote bags

Female cards to put in totes

Male cards to put in totes

Now, I am going to be making 2 sets of note cards for my daughter's halloween carnival for them to give as prizes. For these, I am also going to put them in a tote, and it is going to have 3 halloween cards and 3 thanksgiving cards, all of them different (6 different cards for each set). The two sets will be the same (so only have to make 2 cards of each card).

I like seeing sets that have the same stamps and layout, with different colors of paper, looks so nice!

Hope this helps!
Great cards and totes! TFS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2006, 05:30 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great thread! Thanks for all the cool ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I usually make card sets for Christmas for my mom and grandmas. I will make 12-15 cards each for them and most of the time they don't match. There are little girls and little boys in my family, along with wacky women and dull men. You kind of need a little bit of everything with my family so I make lots of different cards. I make matching envelopes and tie them up with a pretty ribbon. Although I plan on doing the lunchbox tins this year because I got 8 of them yesterday at Joann's clearanced out at $2 each! Woo-hoo!
Reply With Quote Likes