Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Garish, Gauche, Gaudy & Bawdy

Do you sometimes get carried away putting a card together. Do you find that some cards are just more fun and special to make than others. The ones where you don't fret over "does this look right", "do these colors go together", "do I have too much or not enough stuff on this". They may not be "tasteful", but make you smile while you're putting it together because you know it holds a special meaning--the ones that bring out the "kid" in you.

The one I made for "Weezie" (aka Louise) was one of those fun cards. This 94-year-young gal has a trunk full of Fat Tuesday memorabilia. She never dresses without wearing at least two strands of her Mardi Gras beads. If I had to describe her, she reminds me of Hallmark's "Maxine" with a heart of gold. Hopefully she doesn't pop up in one of those "Mardi Gras Gals Gone Crazy" videos!

I would love to see some of your "fun" cards and hear the special meaning/story behind them.

Here's To Weezie (You Go, Girl): //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=212593&cat=500&ppuser=37201
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
The Digi-Freak

aww, what a sweet story!

Old 01-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure your friend is going to like her card. This is one from my gallery. I made this for a woman who was in a bible study with me, a mom with two small children, who after her second child was delivered found out she has breast cancer. She's lost all her hair through chemo and has been very sick, but her vibrant personality and faith shine through regardless of her outward appearance. I made this for her because when I think of her, I think of bright colors. Some kind people have already seen this card and made some nice comments, but that's the story behind it.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=33693

peggysue
Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggysue
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure your friend is going to like her card. This is one from my gallery. I made this for a woman who was in a bible study with me, a mom with two small children, who after her second child was delivered found out she has breast cancer. She's lost all her hair through chemo and has been very sick, but her vibrant personality and faith shine through regardless of her outward appearance. I made this for her because when I think of her, I think of bright colors. Some kind people have already seen this card and made some nice comments, but that's the story behind it.

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=205224&cat=500&ppuser=33693

peggysue
This is what I'm talking about Peggysue--it's a card that years later when you see the picture you remember who and why you made it. In this case, the circumstance was anything but "fun", but the card conveyed something about that particular person you had in mind. Hope her story has a happy ending.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Great stories

First time I made this card with the goofy horse it was for a Splitcoast challenge. All those little sticks from the dollar store had to be cut to a shorter length. Thought that I would not do one just like that again. Sent it away to someone via the Need A Lift forum.
BUT, a dear old friend -- a former Farm Extension Agent -- who now lives in a retirement home, fell and broke his leg. While in the hospital he became ill and had his gall bladder removed.
He is the kind of guy who always has a smile and a joke. Pretends to be gruff, when we all know he is a sweetheart. He will laugh at his own eccentrics. At nearly 90 years, he can't remember my first name -- always calls me Parker -- but he remembers details about our farm that I have forgotten. I just coudn't resist doing another "goofy horse card" especially for Martin. Get Well Horse
John 3:16
Old 01-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Garnet--I know a few just like him--crusty on the outside but a real cream puff on the inside. You know that he will really cherish that card--makes redoing it so worthwhile.

My folks and Weezie live in an independent living center and the place is just full of the most interesting, fun-loving characters you can imagine. Never a dull moment--during the day they all leave their doors open and just pop in and out visiting each other. Most can't hear the doorbells and don't want to miss a visitor.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Talking

Sometimes I have too much fun making a card

For dh's administrative assistant I had too much fun making her "card". I had every stamp set out, tons of papers, inks, hardware,and stuff all over the dining table (my stamping space). Kinda funny because of the small size of the project.
Front
Insides1
Insides 2
Insides 3

She laughed when she recieved it because she could tell how much fun I had doing it. I wanted to do something special for her because she is so special to our family ( and we had limited funds) She is a church secretary and my dh is the pastor. When she took the job she was not ready for how hard "front lines" ministry can be--the church gave her a hard time her first couple of months.

my blog

Last edited by Julesiana; 01-31-2006 at 02:55 PM..
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Juliana--if I had been that secretary I would have a mile wide smile on my face. I can tell you had a ball doing it. It's hard to know when to stop. Sometimes more is just better!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Loved the horse card the expandable file folder. Keep em coming.
peggysue