Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuming after treatment at CERTAIN Craft Store...UGH

Hi, I spend a ton of time on this site. I love the ideas, the artwork and most all the 'tips' from all of you enablers...lol...and you know who YOU are! This is a POWERFUL site - take the Marvy Giga Scalloped Punches for example. I think this site has played a huge roll in wiping out any and all quantities..LOL So, I thought this was a good place to post this for everyone to see.

Anyway, yesterday I was wandering around in the days gallery postings and ran across a photo of some 'new rubbah' posted by lovingmy4boys. She posted a pic of all the stamps in one photo, and a card she had created in another. I was in love....had to have them!!

I haven't been feeling well...had the flu over the sun/mon while DH was out of town. Sick with four kids....ahh, the joy of it all. Anyway, I decided that even though I wasn't feeling well, I would head over to the store...not Mike's...the OTHER one...and see if I could find a few of the stamps as a feel better gift to myself. LOL

I had taken a shower, but didn't have a chance to do much with myself between getting the other kids off to school, breakfast, etc. I went pretty much as I was..no make up, no time. And on the way out the door, I grabbed two amazing prints I purchased about a year ago that need frames. They were advertising a huge frame sale, so I thought I would save another trip for myself.

I got to the store, walked back to the framing section and there was an older woman behind the counter - I'd say late 60s or so. I will call her BETTY. Well, she sort of looked me over and said..."let me finish what I am doing and then I will help you." Or something along those lines... ok, whatever. No biggie. She comes over after a short time and I show her my prints...told her roughly what I wanted and that I had never had anything custom done before.

She put the weights on the prints to hold them down and pulled out red mat choices. Hello, I was thinking...I said NO RED I thought to myself. Anyway, being the nice person (sometimes to a fault) that I am....I let her show me a few and kindly tried to direct her to something more neutral or even black. She said "Oh, you dont' want to do THAT." several times. Excuse me... I AM paying for it, right? I thought...but once again...I remained silent and tried to keep my cool.

We got to frame selections, she pulled off with no direction from me...the most inexpensive black frame on the wall. I asked if we could look at one of the chunkier more decorative ones...she said "Oh, those are really expensive." I realized at that point that she must have been thinking I couldn't afford it and she didn't want to waste her time with them. I pointed to one at the top but she kept picking ones below it saying they get more expensive as you go up. HELLOO!!! Once again, I am paying for it, not you...give me the FRAME...(all in my head of course, because I don't like confrontations...lol)

Long story short, she was rude, impolite and short with me 100% of the time. She bragged about being an interior designer but I thought the choices she was offering were awful and she seemed to be struggling to find color options. Anyway, with my DDr close to starvation....as she put it...I politely told the clerk that this was obviously going to take more time and effort than I could give with my 3 yr old in tow. And would she be in tomorrow so I could come back alone to go over the details. She said she would be out for a week...doing a wedding. (Why couldn't she say...sure, come in tomorrow...so and so can help you but I'll be out???)

Well, I asked her for a ballpark on the picture framing. She insisted she couldn't give me that - she didn't even MEASURE it yet she told me. I thought, isn't this what you do...don't you have SOME idea.... I gave her the measurements, and I finally got her to say $360. I said is that with the discount or without it? Get this...she said, "I only did ONE!!!" all drawn out and snotty like. What the heck is that all about? She new they were the same size, SHE unrolled them to look at them. I told her in the beginning that they would BOTH be done the same...so one would logically wonder is $360 for both - especially since they are having a 50% off sale and since the prints were only about $40 themselves. Geez...

I walked away with my prints after thanking her for her help. I was determined to look for the stamps even though she was soooooo rude and impolite. I thought surely it's just her. I went to the front and after thinking over in my head some of the commments she made, I decided to stand up for myself and ask for a manager. There were several workers on the floor and I found one and asked to speak to a manager. He looked at me like I was nuts and said "well, yeah...I guess let me get her."

As it turns out she was right on the other side of the aisle...she walks over and I proceeded to tell her about my experience. She reacted as if I was wasting her time and looked away at products on the shelves several times while I was talking. Then she made some comment like geez, that's not like BETTY. I guess I will have to mention it to her. I walked away feeling like a total moron for saying anything to begin with. Then I got MAD!!! I spend a lot of money in that store and I was "ABOUT" to spend $700 on a framing order...and that is the type of treatment I get from the associates and from the MANGER TOO?????

I don't know how many of you have run into this type of treatment at this store. Hopefully, none of you. But if you have...know this....don't stand there and take it like I did. Speak up and say something. I have spent the last 24 hours or so replaying the whole deal in my mind and wondering who they think they are....seriously, if I wasn't shopping there (and there are TONS of places I can get the SAME PRODUCTS easily) they wouldn't have a job!!!

And, another thing... while BETTY was working with me (and verbally throwing blows) an older gentleman clerk (who happened to be african-american) walked up toward the back of the counter where she was standing and she turned quickly around and snapped at him "Sir, you can't come back here when I am with a customer!" He softly apologized and walked away. I was thinking she isn't just rude to customers (me) she's rude to the staff too and given her age...I seriously think she was treating him nasty because of his race and not his offense - which in my opinion, there was NONE!!! I didn't even NOTICE him until she made her ugly remark!! And sir? what's that all about....doesn't she know how to read his nametag...poor guy

I am sorry for the long post and the vent. But we as consumers have tremendous power...and that power is called cash!! That cash translates into profit at stores such as this one. I can honestly say that I don't feel that I need to spend any more money in this store, if there customer service policy is to treat customers rudely and belittle co-workers publicly. Mike's isn't always super-friendly, but I have NEVER had someone treat me rudely or judge me because I wasn't all dolled up. Sort of reminds me of the scene in Pretty Woman with the snooty Rodeo Dr Clerks..."remember me, I was in here yesterday and you wouldn't help me..." >Insert tons of Mike's or LSS store bags< ..."BIg mistake, HUGE HUGE Mistake.....!"

"Whatever you are, be a GOOD one." - - Abraham Lincoln
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

So sorry you experienced something like that. I honestly think that sometimes some of the big chains really don't have very good control over the quality of some of their staff. Why on earth would the owner of a business allow an employee like that to even continue to work there! Certainly they should remember that a satisfied customer will tell very few they are satisfied and a dissatisfied customer will tell the world. It's too bad for them that you experienced what you did at that store and that many here will read all about it.....

PS - Love that part in Pretty Women!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would write a letter to corporate about your experiences, and cc the manager of the store you were in. I'm sure the corporate web site has a feedback address. Don't do e-mail, either. A real, typed letter is always taken more seriously.

Not only will writing the letter make you feel better, it may just get you a written apology and some action taken to correct the problem. Who knows, they may even send you a gift card for your frustration!

Poor customer service at any store is unacceptable. I'm so sorry you had this experience! {{{{hugs}}}}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I work at a certain craft store (;) ) and teach a few days a week. I can tell you from experience that we have folks that work there that are just downright rude to people and completely unhelpful. we have teenagers who know NOTHING about the products that are sold in the store, nor do they give a flying rats patootie about it.

If it helps....corporate is cracking down on store managers to deal with employees like that....we've lost a few here and there so far....but the customers need to write in or talk to the store manager directly about it to get anything done.

I hope that you get this resolved! Write to them! It works!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I had that happen to me at Mike's.

I had cross stitch a picture for my DH. It had taken me almost a year to complete. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty (or so I thought).

Well the framing guy picked out everything for my picture. He wanted to do 3 mats in colors I hated with a nasty looking frame. Whenever I spoke up he would try to put my down by telling me he has done this for years and so on.

My DH came over to take a look at the guy made a comment to him that he couldn't fix my cross stitch just make it look as good as he could. He gave us a quote of over $400 (that was with the discount!!!).

DH and I looked at each other and said we would have to think about it.

I still have that cross stitch unframed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

thats a great idea! I know writting to higher up always is better if you can't get anywere even with a manager! I hate that helpless hopless feeling too! at least you stood up a bit! good for you! I know how you feel with 2 little boys I'm not always looking my best and sometimes I just need out! lol.

*hugs!*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oooooo, Kate. Sorry you had such a rat's end of a day at the store. How rude of Miss BETTY! Obviously, she was having a very rude and moody day. See my mental image of our dear BETTY below.

Be sure to write a formal letter as Cindy and others have suggested. Hey, you just never know, you MIGHT get a gift card and then you can share it with all your dork sisters!!!

Even in the longest day, life is still short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #8  
immzw4

I would definitely write to corporate, but I'd be writing an email first - and follow up with a letter if you don't get a decent answer. I was never treated like that by anyone, but I did witness a cashier seriously mistreating several elderly customers. I emailed the corporate office and within two hours, a regional manager was on the phone, telling me he was heading to the pharmacy to correct the situation. The cashier doesn't work at that store anymore. She was the nastiest, most hateful person I've ever seen working in service, and hopefully she's in some back room somewhere she never has to deal with people again.

But email is taken seriously by some companies, and the company I emailed was a chain pharmacy. But if you don't get any answer from email, send a written letter. Oh, I also got $20 in free coupons from an email to Red Lobster once when we had to wait two hours for our meal. I don't have the patience to wait for snail mail. Good luck!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

((HUGS)) I know how that feels and it is not so nice.

I think I would certainly call or write a letter to the manager of the store or the district manager...someone above who you spoke to and file a complaint. No matter how much you were spending $1 or $1000 she has no right to pass judgement on you based on your appearance or anything else for that matter.

Little funny for you: My own Mother dresses very poorly (sorry to say but she says she is going to be comfortable and does not care what anyone thinks) so we go to a pretty large furniture store in OKC and we are wondering around looking at stuff. We go over to the dinning tables. Several sales persons walked by and kept on going....I tried to flag one down and they said they were busy so finally after I started helping myself to pulling out the chairs and doing the "tests" on them ;) someone came over and offered his help. Mom started asking some questions and he kept leading us toward the "lesser expensive" sets I finally said "We are not intersted in anything you have over there we want to know about these" and pointed at the larger dinning sets. He says oh well those are nice put a little more expensive. yada yada yada....Mom says Ok how much is this one with 6 chairs etc and he says something like $988 she says ok is it in stock and he looked it up and said "yes it is" she said I'll take it...now I need a sectional as well can you help me with that. He says OK. Takes us over and she picked one out that was like $1800 she sat on it and said she wanted it too. He said ok let me check on that and she starts pulling out her Cash to pay for it and his mouth dropped open and his eyes got huge. She had a ton of cash in her purse and he was amazed. I laughed OUT LOUD! Mom says what is it and I said "oh nothing Mom nothing at all" the guy knew I was laughing at him. Later I told her why I laughed and she said "Just goes to show that you can not judge a book by its cover!"

Try to not let it bother you, complain and move on.

This world we be a better place if people would learn to look past the outer appearance of others and look into each others hearts.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

You know what I would do? I would make her up a set of really pretty cards and wrap them up nicely in a ribbon or make a cute card holder for them. Then I would write a note and say something to the effect of how sorry you were that she was having such a rotten day when you came in and how it also left you in a rotten mood and that you hope when she uses your cards to send cheer and joy to others she can also think about sending that same good will to customers the next time she is in a rotten mood. I'd just walk back to the framing dept. and hand the cards and note to her without a word...she can read the note.

I'm not saying that there is any excuse for her rotten behavior of you, but it is hard to be mean to people when they do something nice for you. Hopefully, if she ever sees you again, she would be nice and if(when) she is rude to others, then maybe she would remember the kindness you showed her and snap herself out of it the next time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Definitely Write a Letter to the Company and tell them you will not be shopping in their store again.. And do make sure to tell them how much you planned on paying and how you were treated based on your current appearance. Drag it out..
I just recently wrote a letter to Michaels Head Quarters for a Similar Situation.. Have not heard back yet and DH thinks I never will.
We shall see.
DO TELL US WHERE THIS WAS?? WAS IT JOANN'S? I am not 100% sure and would definitey like to know..
Thanks and Good Luck!!
Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

As far as why the store manager would allow someone like that to still work there, sometimes it is difficult to fire someone. My dh works in a restaurant and he has to have a lot of documentation before he can fire someone. You'd be surprised how many people get fired for legitimate reasons and then file for unemployment benefits. He has gone to court to testify for the company against people who had been fired for stealing from the company, getting in a fight with a customer, drinking while on the job, etc. Some of these people actually ended up getting unemployment benefits, even with the documentation. That store may be waiting for this woman to get so unhappy she quits, so they don't have to fire her.

I am so sorry you were treated like this. There really is no excuse. Even if this woman was having a bad day, the manager should have been more receptive. I agree, you should write a letter or email to the company. While a manager may hesitate to fire an employee, the corporate office usually won't hesitate to do something. It can't hurt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by winthrop84
You know what I would do? I would make her up a set of really pretty cards and wrap them up nicely in a ribbon or make a cute card holder for them. Then I would write a note and say something to the effect of how sorry you were that she was having such a rotten day when you came in and how it also left you in a rotten mood and that you hope when she uses your cards to send cheer and joy to others she can also think about sending that same good will to customers the next time she is in a rotten mood. I'd just walk back to the framing dept. and hand the cards and note to her without a word...she can read the note.

I'm not saying that there is any excuse for her rotten behavior of you, but it is hard to be mean to people when they do something nice for you. Hopefully, if she ever sees you again, she would be nice and if(when) she is rude to others, then maybe she would remember the kindness you showed her and snap herself out of it the next time.
You are SO NICE!!! And, I think that is a great idea. Kate can make some great cards so I think she should go for it!!!

**and here I was sitting thinking, "Gee, I know someone who makes up a pretty mean U Suck card!!" I'm so naughty!!** :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #14  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

Wasn't this the same chain a while back that tried to arrest someone on this board or something? I remember some big to-do about it (and it was HUGE), but I don't remember all the details. Anyone else remember?

Nope, if it's the store I'm thinking of, their customer service stinks!

Fan my etsy shop on Facebook: RJY Handmade Designs

Check out my etsy shop: www.rjyhandmadedesigns.etsy.com

Blog: http://rjyhandmadedesigns.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

If she is an interior designer, why is she working in a Joanns/ACMoore etc. for practically minimum wage? I would wager she didn't have the people skills to keep her job/business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbish
Wasn't this the same chain a while back that tried to arrest someone on this board or something?
I thought that store was an e-store that was using lawyers and gag orders as their main form of customer service. I might be wrong, tho.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #17  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbish
Wasn't this the same chain a while back that tried to arrest someone on this board or something? I remember some big to-do about it (and it was HUGE), but I don't remember all the details. Anyone else remember?

Nope, if it's the store I'm thinking of, their customer service stinks!
I remember it, but would ask that you keep the TOS in mind here:

"Members are cautioned to take the greatest care when they post new threads or create a response to an existing thread. We ask that no one creates or condones a post openly disparaging any individual or group of people."

A vent about a particular experience is fine, but please don't let it turn into the total bashing of any company.

Thanks!!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Everyone..thanks so much for your support on this. I think I will write a letter. I like the nice pack of cards idea, but if you've visited my gallery lately...I'm a little short in the card creation dept. I am not short in the shopping dept though...hence the start of this whole thing. LOL

Thanks for the tip on the TOS Kathy. I honestly don't want to BASH anyone or any company for that matter. I think, most of all, I just wanted to share my experience and ask for a few "This is what I would do's" ...

"Whatever you are, be a GOOD one." - - Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
....A vent about a particular experience is fine, but please don't let it turn into the total bashing of any company.
Right on! Kate specifically left out the name of the store. Seeing that it is probably a big chain and each store has different management and different staff, it would unfair if we were to complain about the other 49,999 (or whatever number) of them.

I agree with sending a complaint to company headquarters. It is a good idea to look online first. They may have a "Register a Complaint" form. I did this recently regarding a fast food chain manager who was being snippy with me and with his staff. I received a quick response from headquarters plus a coupon for a free meal (which I will use in a different location).
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I have never had pictures framed at a Hobby Store, They are more expensive than a regular framing store even on sale. Go to your local framers, they have a lot of knowledge and you will be happy with the completed project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

The best framing I have ever had done is our little Ben Franklin 1 town over from mine. They do pictures, cross stitch etc and even my kids art pictures that I frame come out looking like a million bucks. sorry for your treatment
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 02:31 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Kate, I am so sorry this happened to you!!! The change in retail over the years astounds me. I worked retail back in the 80's and it was drilled into us that the customer was king. If there was ANY kind of conflict we were to call a manager, and I never saw a customer treated disrespectfully. I've had several experiences in the past few years when I wanted to ask a cashier if I was inconveniencing her/him by my presence!

My husband uses a phrase - vote with your feet. In other words, if you don't like something, walk out the door and go somewhere else. I had the opportunity to practice that just this week. I had a prescription on automatic recall. It's one of those meds - okay it's hormones - that you dare not let lapse. I noticed that I only had a few pills left and hadn't heard from the pharmacy. I called, and the girl rudely said "we need a new phone number for you". I told her we've had the same phone number for ELEVEN YEARS!!!!!!!! She then proceeded to tell me that I needed to see the doctor before he'd renew my script. I had to turn my schedule upside down to get in to see the doc. So, I had him write me new scripts and took them to a different pharmacy. What I need to do now is to write to the company and let them know of my experience. As previous posters have said, this generally carries a lot of weight.

I'm a lot like you - I want to see the best in people, and I like to avoid conflict at all cost. However, you DESERVE to be treated well, whether you're dressed in designer jeans or sweats. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us. You KNOW you have our support. Hugs!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 03:59 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have some clerks at my M's who are like that as well. There is one cashier in particular who has caused me to stop going so frequently. She is loud, obnoxious, and rude. And I think she is the asst. manager. IMHO, I wouldn't get anything custom framed at M's. They are wayyyy overpriced, esp with the coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 04:45 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so sorry that happened to you. My father is the manager of the custom framing department for an art supply store- but he is in Arizona- probably a little too far for you to go see him! But I know he would be really nice to you- he is nice to everyone.

I would wait on the letter to corporate if I were and get the name of the DISTRICT MANAGER and make a phone call. I had a situation at a pharmacy where I bought a curling iron. I literally had it TWO weeks and it stopped working. Sometimes it would heat up and sometimes it wouldn't. It was an intermittent problem. I took it back WITH MY RECEIPT AND PACKAGE (the package was destroyed though because you cannot buy anything in a box- it all comes in that plastic cocoon.). The clerk rudely said they didn't have that model anymore so I couldn't return it. I asked for the manager. She came to the counter and she was very rude as well. Then she proceeded to plug the curling iron in to see if it worked. I was so mad- I had already told her what was wrong with it! She played with it for a few minutes and then told me she couldn't take it back.

I called the district manager the next day and explained what had happened. Not only did he apologize and tell me to take it back BUT he would also give me a $25 gift card for having to deal with his rude manager. I returned it and suddenly I was a VIP. And now everytime I go in that store- everyone is as nice as pie to me!

But if I hadn't gotten anywhere with the district manager- I would most definitely have gone up the ladder to corporate. But I would make a phone call before you send a letter. I think the district manager over that store needs to know what's going on. He/she will probably thank you for bringing it to attention.

I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:00 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Some people have a pretty sad work ethic. I'm in my late 20's and I would never in a million yrs. treat anyone like that doesn't matter who you are. I never really realized how associates could be until I was in management and had to deal with customer service relations on the stores part. It's hard to not to ask the associates what the heck is their problem.

Sorry you were mistreated. Next time speak up right then and there. I would have asked her to call her manager over and discuss the issue with both of them. If the manager was not much better, I would of asked for the DM phone number. They have to give it to you if you ask. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:07 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Ooohhh--I just had something similar happen to me! We had to return my DD's Ipod Nano because it was defective. I decided to get another one a one of those large chain electronics stores. When I went in, there was no one at the counter where the ipods were, but there was a young employee at the counter across from it on the phone. I waited about 5 minutes, and then went to the front of the store to ask for help. I was told that they were short staffed and the employee that I saw could help me. I went back--he was still on the phone--I made eye contact--and he waved at me, then turned his back on me and kept on talking! I waited about 5 more minutes, he was still talking--then I went back to the front of the store and told the guy guarding the door that if they were really that short staffed they should not allow their employees to spend a lot of time on the phone--AND that I would spend my $150.00 at another store, thank you very much! As I was walking out the door, he told me to have a nice day!
Boy, was I ever mad!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLC05
I am so sorry that happened to you. My father is the manager of the custom framing department for an art supply store- but he is in Arizona- probably a little too far for you to go see him! But I know he would be really nice to you- he is nice to everyone.

I would wait on the letter to corporate if I were and get the name of the DISTRICT MANAGER and make a phone call. I had a situation at a pharmacy where I bought a curling iron. I literally had it TWO weeks and it stopped working. Sometimes it would heat up and sometimes it wouldn't. It was an intermittent problem. I took it back WITH MY RECEIPT AND PACKAGE (the package was destroyed though because you cannot buy anything in a box- it all comes in that plastic cocoon.). The clerk rudely said they didn't have that model anymore so I couldn't return it. I asked for the manager. She came to the counter and she was very rude as well. Then she proceeded to plug the curling iron in to see if it worked. I was so mad- I had already told her what was wrong with it! She played with it for a few minutes and then told me she couldn't take it back.

I called the district manager the next day and explained what had happened. Not only did he apologize and tell me to take it back BUT he would also give me a $25 gift card for having to deal with his rude manager. I returned it and suddenly I was a VIP. And now everytime I go in that store- everyone is as nice as pie to me!

But if I hadn't gotten anywhere with the district manager- I would most definitely have gone up the ladder to corporate. But I would make a phone call before you send a letter. I think the district manager over that store needs to know what's going on. He/she will probably thank you for bringing it to attention.

I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.
I would encourage you to do this also. My DH used to work for a big pharmacy as an assistant manager. Going to the District Manager will get this rude behavior right in front of the person who will experience a drop in HIS bottom line because of your experience. Let's be real. You told us all about it, you will tell your friends about your bad experience, etc..... That District Manager makes an income based on sales from the stores in his district. He/She knows where the bread is buttered. Try it and see what happens!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oooooo, I've just been stewing about this for you Kate. Now I'm MAD! Ha!
I does remind me of an incident at a certain W-Mart in in our town. I was 9 mo. preg with DS1 and was about to POP. We needed a cheap rocker for the daycare room....and found one at this store. I walked around to try to find someone to help me get the box on the cart (huge box....for a slider rocker that weighted about 800 pounds..or so it seemed to this fat preg woman). I found someone and they were going to go get help. I waited, sat on the box, waited some more, went to the front of the store (the furniture was, no doubt, in the BACK of the store) to ask someone at their customer service to call someone, still no one after about 30 minutes. I was fuming and about to give birth to this baby in the store, I was so upset. I mustered up all my strength and hauled that box on the cart. I was capital P i s s e d!! Huffed and puffed to the front to pay for it and told the cashier the entire story. She wasn't very helpful, but she wasn't rude either. I did write a letter to the manager of that store but NEVER heard a word. By then I'd had the baby and totally forgot about it till THIS. HA....I don't think I can file a complaint 6 years later can I??? Anyway, keep us posted as to what happens.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

First I'm wondering if this woman was an interior decorator why she didn't ask more about the colors in your house and style before she went about choosing mat colors and frame styles? But I digress.

I agree with contacting someone higher up via mail or e-mail. I did this regarding a fast food place whose floor was always dirty and sticky each time we went in. I received some coupons which I used at another location, until they finally straightened out the cleanliness issues (gross).

To change the subject just slightly. Have you ever gone to one of those frame-it-yourself places? My SIL does all framing herself at such a place and says it saves a lot of $$$ and she gets exactly what she wants. Provided, there is one in your area, it might be something to check out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

I've worked at "one of those craft store" and know from experience you can have some pretty worthless (that's the "nice" word) people working as managers there! Call the corporate office, don't write a letter, you'll probably never hear back and also ask to have the district manager contact you, this is the person directly above the store manager and tell them exactly what happened.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I am sooooooooooo lucky. I live in small town Saskatchewan Canada, but my neighbours down the road decided to take up framing. They are easy to get a long with and obviously not that expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

I would be SO mad! I would call their corporate office.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also think that you should talk to someone in the corporate office. That's ridiculous how you were treated. I really hope that something can come out of this. With as much money we all at SCS spend in that store, we should be treated like royalty ;)
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
we have teenagers who know NOTHING about the products that are sold in the store, nor do they give a flying rats patootie about it.
I'll give you a good one- I contacted a "store" that was linked thru SCS that has a "turpenoid" blending tutorial and asked about the foam applicator bottle that the author of the tutorial referred to. The elderly sounding clerk that "assisted" me said she didn't know anything about the bottle, "she guessed that she would have to take the time to read the online tutorial", but that she wasn't a stamper so she wasn't real clear on any of it. HELLO--- she works for a store that appears to have a HEAVY emphasis on rubber stamping. Also, she told me that the author was due in the store later that day, after much prompting, she took my phone number so that the author could call me to let me know where I could find the bottle. Do you think I even heard anything back-NOOOOO!

BTW- If anyone does have an idea where I can get empty foam/dauber bottles that I can pour Gamsol into- I would greatly appreciate a PM. I thought about using a envelope sealer bottle- but I don't know for sure if that would work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

For people wanting a deal on framing contact a Creative Memories consultant in your area. Creative Memories bought a framing company and now the upper people can offer framing. They have started with some of the upper people so try Senior leaders if you know one. If not a regular consultant may be able to get you in touch with one of their uplines. My uplines upline came to New York a few months back and showed it to us. I had a certificate and two photos framed for $150. I had the same thing quoted at Mikes for $300 with the discount. It might be worth looking into if you can find one. If you can wait I know the framing goes full scale this summer. And it looks awesome!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Not bashing just being cautioned is not a bad thing..
Hope you get some results..
Sue

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
Right on! Kate specifically left out the name of the store. Seeing that it is probably a big chain and each store has different management and different staff, it would unfair if we were to complain about the other 49,999 (or whatever number) of them.

I agree with sending a complaint to company headquarters. It is a good idea to look online first. They may have a "Register a Complaint" form. I did this recently regarding a fast food chain manager who was being snippy with me and with his staff. I received a quick response from headquarters plus a coupon for a free meal (which I will use in a different location).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #37  
Vee
Glitter Guru

odd. the same thing happened to my DH and I 2 weeks ago at M's. We went ot see about custom framing with the coupon. (We have many nice things custom framed at frame shops) Turns out they don't actually do "custom" framing in the store. You pick out mat and frame and they order it. huh? We left immediately and went to a local custom framer. I was expecting a big tab, but it was for a watercolor I had paid $300 for, so it deserved a nice frame. My DH came out later and said he paid for that and another thing and I could pick them up in a week. THe whole bill was $150 for 2 things with CUSTOM mats and frames. I say always go to the independent guys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

You gotta write a letter - keep it breif and to the point, and express your dismay. Be sure to let them know you are a faithful and regular shopper and it surprised you to get this treatment from what had formerly been such a great and helpful store!

Hardly anyone takes the time to write anymore and the owners really do take handwritten letters seriously. That's the only way they know that these things are occurring. They also have a little rule - that if one person complains, there are about 16-20 more people who feel the same way, but don't speak up.

You may get a big coupon or gift card if they choose to try to make amends! :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

This is probably crummy of me to suggest, but, what if you threw in, "and I have shared my experience with Splitcoaststampers, an online stamping and scraping site." That might get a heads up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyevoss
I have never had pictures framed at a Hobby Store, They are more expensive than a regular framing store even on sale. Go to your local framers, they have a lot of knowledge and you will be happy with the completed project.
Right on, I am gobsmacked with the prices that have been quoted on this thread for framing! I had a silly $2 print, bought on the street in Paris framed, triple mat, detailed wood frame, and UV matte finish glass, and it was $70. It looks like a million bucks, and the local frame shop could not have been nicer. I think local shops are more inclined to provide customer service and not just warm bodies in a store.

No wonder the 'big box' craft stores are always offering 40-50% off framing, they charge 4 times what the local shops do!

Sorry you were mistreated, and please look for a local framing shop. You will get the service and expertise you deserve And I've been waging a letter writing, phone call survey, etc. campaign against my local JoAnn for at least a year. Nothing has changed. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes