Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #281
Crimping Master

I do that too--and I buy them on clearance when they are going out of date.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #282
Polyshrink Goddess

Does anybody have an updated list of these tips? They're fantastic & I'd hate to re-invent the wheel if someone has already compiled them.

Leslie
Click here for the scoop!
My itty bitty GALLERY. Comment, please!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #283
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialkx3
Does anybody have an updated list of these tips? They're fantastic & I'd hate to re-invent the wheel if someone has already compiled them.

Leslie
I think post # 209 had the latest compiled list.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #284
Lil' RAD Taquito

Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by outsiderartist
Here is a tip I learned from a member of my monthly stamp group, take those little Silica gel packets you get with new shoes, some foods and other purchases and put them in the containers that you have you EP in... it is supposed to keep the ep from being all staticy and it also prevents moisture build up.
You have to be very careful when you use your stuff to not let those packs get around because if a chil, pet or anybody swallows any of the contains will kill you
Old 07-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #285
Embossing Fanatic

Default Silica Gel Dessicant is child safe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApocalipsisR
You have to be very careful when you use your stuff to not let those packs get around because if a child, pet or anybody swallows any of the contains will kill you
I thought exactly the same thing when my dd was 18 mos (she's 11 now) and I found her with a mouthful of those pellets that had been in a shoebox. I was shaking and crying when I called poison control center...

Poison control told me that Silica Gel is absolutely SAFE!! They are labeled "DO NOT EAT" because it is not food but often mistaken for food. I still tear up when I recall how scared I was!

(From a manufacturer's website... Hydrosorbent silica gel granules are inert and non-toxic. They will not emit harmful vapors, stain, or cause any chemical reaction. Safe to use with foods, medicines, sensitive materials, electronics, films, etc.)
Old 07-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #286
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouc
I thought exactly the same thing when my dd was 18 mos (she's 11 now) and I found her with a mouthful of those pellets that had been in a shoebox. I was shaking and crying when I called poison control center...

Poison control told me that Silica Gel is absolutely SAFE!! They are labeled "DO NOT EAT" because it is not food but often mistaken for food. I still tear up when I recall how scared I was!

(From a manufacturer's website... Hydrosorbent silica gel granules are inert and non-toxic. They will not emit harmful vapors, stain, or cause any chemical reaction. Safe to use with foods, medicines, sensitive materials, electronics, films, etc.)

Well, that is good information! I read somewhere to put it in tupperware containers. I know that I keep the big ones on top of the refrigerator. I put the lid on so I don't get dust inside. But, if I don't use it for a while, it smells nasty and I don't want to put food in it. I've been taking the silica packets and putting them in an open plastic bag inside the tupperware. Now I know I can skip the plastic bag.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #287
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julzz
I store all of my scraps in ziploc baggies by color or shades of the color. No more digging in my box for that one little color in all the mess. What do you store your scraps in? you know the ones you just can't throw away.
Same here.
For faux stitching or even just to pre-punch the holes for a brad, I use a sewing machine needle. The end is thick and flat, so it is easy to hold. It is good to use, along with a small paint brush, to get excess Embossing Powder off of the cardstock before heating - especially in small places like the centers of letters.
I save all the old spiral notebooks from the end of school to use to stamp on. There is always extra paper, and the kids will always need new ones next year anyway.
Tape two pennies to the back of a wooden ruler to use as a guide for tearing. The extra space from the pennies keeps it from being a too crisp edge, but keeps the tear from getting too crooked - when you want it straight, I guess!
I save the leftover party plates from kids parties to use for embossing trays. The slick finish makes the powder slide right into the jar. They are small enough to keep a few around so you have one for each color - for when you have the REALLY BIG MESS of stamping going on!! And they are quite disposable.
Last but not least . . . as I learned last night, do NOT try to speed up the drying of Crystal Effects with your heat gun! Not only does it bubble up and get crisp, but it stinks like burned rubber, too!
Old 07-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #288
Watercolor Wizard

bump to top
Old 07-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #289
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowowl
1. I also use gladware containers for the embossing powder and leave a plastic spoon right in the container. Never have to clean up as extra goes right back in container.
This is the thread/post that made DH call me a redneck scrapper/stamper! I'm going to use my old butter tubs and Baskin Robbins sample spoons!

Thanks for posting this thread! I read EVERY post and have got some great ideas!

Suzanne
Old 07-14-2006, 07:23 AM   #290
Mad Swapper

Oh and if you know anyone who works with a large line printer - they take 11x17 paper. If they print something wrong or are disposing of reports or, even better, when they do a default print to test the printer you can use those to stamp on! Then when it gets messy, you can just tear off the top one and go to the next....

Suzanne
Old 07-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #291
Lil' RAD Taquito

Wink Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouc

Thank you for the information. I guess I won't be so paranoic about those things anymore. Phew!!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #292
Lil' RAD Taquito

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin8mom
I've posted this tip before, but I am an avid watercolorer and this is my all time favorite tip that was passed on to me.

Stamp your image you are going to watercolor onto the cardstock. Lightly spray with Krylon Matte Spray (available with sealers and spray paints). It will dry in seconds. (best to shake the can for 30 seconds before you spray! as per instructions on the can)

The matte spray makes any ink waterproof (navy, gray, brown, etc.) and lightly coats the paper so the watercolors blend effortlessly.

You can watercolor with any medium - aquapainters, blender pens, paintbrushes, etc.

Because the paper is coated, it won't soak up the water as fast, won't curl and won't "pill."

Love my matte spray!!!

Kathy
Thank you for sharing this great tip
Old 07-16-2006, 12:04 AM   #293
Glitter Queen

Location: The kids are asleep, I'm in my happy stampin' place!

Here are some tips/ideas that I don't think have been mentioned yet (if so I apologize to the original poster):

1. I use photo corners to secure a "temporary page" inside my cards. This way the reciever can make another temporary page and give it to someone else. All my hard work and creativity doesn't get thrown in the trash!
2. For us scrapbookers - keep a journal. Since most of us log on frequently to check out SCS, take a moment to update a scrapbooking document. I have one for each kid. Include any commentary on photos you have taken that day, the "Oh I don't want to forget that moments!" or ideas that appeal to you. Then when you get around to scrapping those photos you have something to jar you memory and your journaling will be much more relevant.
3. Store SU! background stamps vetically out of the plastic container. This takes up less room and the plastic cases can be used for other storage. Currently I use mine for Stampin' Around ink cartridges.
4. I use repositional adhesive to hold paper for Stampin' Around wheels, masks, and embossing. I also use repositional adhesive when doing my scrapbook lay-outs. I make sure everything fits/goes together/is the right size before I permanently adhere everything down.
5. Check SCS daily for great ideas/tips/inspiration!!!!

I too love this thread!
K
Old 07-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #294
Stampin' Fool

Silica gel will not hurt a child like poison will but can cause EXTREME constipation. If a child ingests it, push fluids and fruits constantly for a couple of days.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #295
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylene
Turn off your ceiling fan while using dazzling diamonds glitter.

LOL! Great tip - if only I could remember!
Old 07-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #296
Die Cut Diva

I cut out the color charts in the back of last year's catty (where the words are stamped on the colors - where they sell pads, etc.), cut out each color and taped them to the end of each ink pad. Tedious, but much easier to pick out your color immediately. Some of the colors are hard to read (barely banana, for one), and by putting the color with its name at the end really helps.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #297
Insane Embellisher

I use a scrubber pad that I bought at Michael's to clean the
BG stamps. Spray some cleaner on the stamp and use the pad to scrub the stamp and then wipe clean with an old towel. Works good.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #298
Crimping Master

Scraps? I do the baggie thing too and store the baggies in a file folder with my uncut paper to keep the colors separated and easy to find.

If I have a strip that is less than a half inch wide, I put it in a clear juice glass that sits on my stamping table. It stands up there, looks colorful and decorative, until I need a skinny strip, then I just look to see if there is a color I can use. OR I make a striped background when it gets too full. It's easy to see what colors are available and to choose coordinating colors. OR you can do paper weaving (TLC71) with them when you have collected enough.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #299
Kookie Creator

I love the jar-o'-strips idea!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #300
Watercolor Wizard

I bought an expandable file envelope that has about 13 or so divisions with tabs for labeling and store all of my scraps in the little compartments. I have them divided into different color categories...blues, greens, etc. I also used the last compartment for scraps that are from patterned background paper. Works great and now I don't have to paw through a mess each time I need a scrap.

This thread is phenomenal and I have already printed out several of my favorite tips in addition to the compilation of tips that has already been done. What a job and I thank you for your hard work!!

Keep those tips coming, Ladies!! Love them!

Smiles and hugs, Joanne
Old 07-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #301
Mad Swapper

These tips are fantastic! Thank you everyone.
I've just done the 'strips in a jar' idea. And it looks sooooooo pretty.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 AM   #302
Stampin' Fool

For 50 cents you can get great tiny mister bottles in the travel section at Walmart.

Store your acrylic blocks in a pretty letter sorter. Keeps them standing on end, easy to see the sizes, and easy to grab.

Scotch Foam Mounting tape, found in the hardware section, is about 10 times cheaper than puff dots/dimensionals and you can cut to size.,

Brilliance reinkers make great paint to paint will. Just squirt a little on a plastic lid, grab a brush, and it makes wonderful results.

Gift wrap makes great "designer" paper.

Buy 2 sets of Snap Stamps and store vowels in one box and consonants in another. You can make a saying full length of the card without running out of letters.

If you don't like the bulkiness, weight and expense of Hodgepodge Hardware, TAC sells a set of stamps with all those shapes. Just emboss in metallic colors and you have the same look (called Hip Hardware for $7.95 for many stamps).

Judkins Color Dusters are inexpensive and give you much, much more control than sponges.

Save the clear plastic windows out of packaging of products and use like acetate.

Pretty hat boxes are a great way to store stamp stuff stacked in a corner.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:46 AM   #303
Crimping Master

Shout will get dye based ink out of clothes. I dropped a classic black ink pad on a white cotten shirt. It came completely clean after three washings with Shout. Just don't put it in the dryer until it is completely clean or the ink will be heat set.

I have an expensive dining room set in my dining room which I use as a stamp room to teach my classes. The chairs have cloth seats. I bought inexpensive chair covers from Target to protect my chairs. These covers have several ink stains from customers dropping ink pads. I cover my table with a table pad.

I store my ribbon on slack racks sold for $5 at Walmart or Target. I am able to see my ribbon and cut it from the rack. Many of my customers now do this.

I stamp on a mouse pad to get a crisper image.

I will start using notebooks for my customers to stamp on in my classes since I now have more customers than mouse pads. You can tear off the page for each class. Target now has notebooks for sale 10 for $1.

You can paint chipboard with craft ink refill or acrylic paint tinted with dye ink refill to match Stampin' Up! colors.

I trace the punches on cardstock vellum. I use that as a punch guide to see what stamps will fit on a punch.

I buy one new embellishment in assorted colors and swap to get it in all the colors. I am doing this now with the new designer paper, ribbons, fibers, colored brads, eyelets and buttons. I get all the colors to design my classes and I can buy what I need later for each class. I store the items in the divided containers with 24 sections which I just found in the $1 Spot at Target.

Tina R
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #304
Gallery Gazer

Default another way

Quote:

Originally Posted by cajor
Custom-colored brads!--this tip has appeared on SCS in the past, but since I haven't seen it yet on this thread at this time I thought I'd remind everyone how easy it is to color your brads...

Take any color brad--I use plain gold because a bought a whole PILE of them really cheap somewhere and have a lot of them...put the end of the prongs in a long handled holder of some type so you don't burn your fingers. Then WITHOUT COATING THE BRAD HEAD WITH EMBOSSING INK, just blast the head of the brad with your heat tool for about 15-20 seconds--enough time to really heat it up. Then immediately dip the head into any embossing powder. The powder will stick to the head of the brad. Blast the brad again to melt the embossing powder. Viola--custom colored brads! You can re-heat the brad, dunk in EP again, and heat again for a thicker layer. Works great for me!

Amy J. in Wisconsin
I also use my small punch to make a dot from the colorstock and glue it to the head. Mary Lee
Old 08-07-2006, 01:57 AM   #305
Matboard Maniac

Tack ends as cool looking embellishments:

Buy thumb tacks in primary colors, gold and silver. Clip off the tack end with wire cutters and you have some new brad-like embellishments. Use glue dots to adhere them to your card.

C

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Old 08-07-2006, 03:40 AM   #306
Glitter Guru

"For 50 cents you can get great tiny mister bottles in the travel section at Walmart."

Annabelle1974 - Does your spray a fine mist? I got one a while back and was disappointed because there were a lot of big drops rather than the mist I was hoping for.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 08-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #307
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora44design
Save your old phone books / tear off the top cover. When using glue sticks, place your work on the first sheet, do your gluing to your CS / when finished, throw away the sheet used. Your book is now ready for the next session.
Julie
I use my old Sears catalogues for this. The glossy pages don't dirty up whatever I am gluing.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:12 AM   #308
Mad Swapper

I used a .75 cm (3/4 inch) square stamp to stamp all my ink colours on a sheet of cardstock. Now I have a colour guide to take with me to my favourite scrapbooking stores when looking for matching patterned paper or embellishments.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #309
Pearl-ExPert

I was looking for a way to keep my neutral wwc with my big tin of all the colors.

So, I put the box of neutrals in a large envelope and taped it with packing tape to the lid of the big tin. Yeah, it works.
Just put the box in the envelope before you tape it so it will slide in and out easily.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #310
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkle
I was looking for a way to keep my neutral wwc with my big tin of all the colors.

So, I put the box of neutrals in a large envelope and taped it with packing tape to the lid of the big tin. Yeah, it works.
Just put the box in the envelope before you tape it so it will slide in and out easily.
What is wwc?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #311
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, so sorry, my husband is in the military and I get used to the acronym things.

WWC is watercolor wonder crayons.
Thanks for asking.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #312
Cardstock Collector

Default Stamp Library

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bevstamps
I do something similar. I make 2 copies of the stamp labels before I stick them on my stamps; I put one in the bottom of the plastic container that holds the stamp set so I know what stamps belong in that set. The other copy I put in a notebook.
In addition to copying my stamp sets into a binder, I made categories for them: Alphabets, Holiday/Seasons, Backgrounds, Miscellaneous. To make things even easier, I also have descriptions with stamp sets assigned to them. E.g. Flowers. Next to this category I list each stamp set that has a flower in it and list the page number it is shown on. Another cagegory would be cakes. This way when I need a stamp that has a cake on it, I know which stamp set to go to. It was a lot of work in the beginning, but because my stamp library has grown, I know where to go in a hurry when I need to make a card pronto!!

Thanks to all of you and your wonderful ideas!!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #313
Insane Embellisher

Sorry for a brief hijack--

healyla,

Welcome to the board! I notice this is your first posting. Hope you'll stick around, enjoy, and contribute more.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #314
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkle
Oh, so sorry, my husband is in the military and I get used to the acronym things.

WWC is watercolor wonder crayons.
Thanks for asking.
I'm getting used to the acronyms from being on this site but I have to tell you I never ever notice Wonder was in their name and after I posted I used them - saw the tin and figured it out.
Then I had to look them up in the catty and see they broke down the size and got smart with adding neutral colors! Bet they sell more of them now! My neutrals are from a non SU set that I've had for years.
Oh and I always thought the acronym for them was WCC water color crayons, now your post makes perfect sense to me.
Thanks for the answer!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #315
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by canben
This is the thread/post that made DH call me a redneck scrapper/stamper! I'm going to use my old butter tubs and Baskin Robbins sample spoons!

Thanks for posting this thread! I read EVERY post and have got some great ideas!

Suzanne
You don't even need the little spoons. I use a small square of scrap cardstock and scoop the EP with it. My upline taught me this container method and I love it!

-Theresa
Old 08-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #316
Gabfest Goddess

Okay, here's a tip for ribbon or cording:

If you want to tie ribbon around a card and tie a perfect bow, wrap the ribbon around the card two complete rotations. Cut there. That will give you the perfect amount to tie the ribbon in a perfect bow without an inch of waste.
Gina

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #317
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

White first aide tape helps you read the name of your stamp sets. Put the clear label on the end of the box (SU! sets) then a length of white first aid tape inside the box on the same spot. Now you don't have to squint to read it.
Use a sheet of fun foam to stamp background stamps or other large stamps on.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #318
Insane Embellisher

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but I save window envelopes that I may receive in the mail and use the "window" part to create shaker cards. One side is already adhered, so I just have to attach my image & shaker elements.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #319
Pearl-ExPert

Default Sewing

I thought I'd check her for sewing tips...........I haven't made it all the way through the thread but am I on the right track? I've been trying to sew on a card and it isn't going well. I've played with the tension but still nothing. Am I wrong in trying just one piece of paper? Is there a trick I need to know?
Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #320
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongcanadianbeauty
I thought I'd check her for sewing tips...........I haven't made it all the way through the thread but am I on the right track? I've been trying to sew on a card and it isn't going well. I've played with the tension but still nothing. Am I wrong in trying just one piece of paper? Is there a trick I need to know?
When you say paper do you mean paper or cardstock? I've found it not as neat on single paper as with cardstock.

I just did some faux stitching on a card yesterday and I sure find machine stitching to be much faster and easier so keep working on it!