Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #241
Mad Swapper

Smile

Beverly, I hated cleaning my BG stamps, too, till I decided to make life easier on myself by spraying the stamp with cleaner, scrubbing it lightly with a vegetable brush while running water over it, rinsing well, dabbing it on a couple paper towels, then letting it finish drying in the dish rack. I've never needed to clean up a BG done with pigment ink like Stazon or SU craft inks, but my method works well with embossing ink and Versamark, so it would probably work for anything.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #242
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathynruss
Beverly, I hated cleaning my BG stamps, too, till I decided to make life easier on myself by spraying the stamp with cleaner, scrubbing it lightly with a vegetable brush while running water over it, rinsing well, dabbing it on a couple paper towels, then letting it finish drying in the dish rack. I've never needed to clean up a BG done with pigment ink like Stazon or SU craft inks, but my method works well with embossing ink and Versamark, so it would probably work for anything.
That's about what I have been doing and I have used craft inks. Thanks for validating me!
Old 06-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #243
Stampin' Fool

Using those slick paged catalogs that come in junk mail are great to emboss on. The powder just slides off those babies. Run a thin catty through your rotary paper cutter and you have enough pages to last a long time.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #244
Hardware Hotshot

Best cleaning tip I have is to go unmounted. Cleaning is VERY easy. No wood block to worry about staining. You can soak your rubber if you need to.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #245
Crimping Master

So, if I go unmounted, do you use a brayer to get even pressure, or just lay it on the table and put the paper on top of it?
Old 06-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #246
Hardware Hotshot

I just thought of a favorite tip last night while I was stamping my sister's birthday card:

Always stamp in jeans or sweats! I was wearing a pair of Bill Blass white denim with blue flower capris. I was using a pink marker to color a flower stamp from looks like spring. Well, I don't know what happened, but my hands slipped, and I dropped it. Pink ink on my white pants. Aaaggghhh....

I put them in the sink, and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. Two of my fingers are scrubbed raw. I got most of it out. The rest came out in the wash, but I've learned my lesson.

Always wear jeans or sweats. (If I do that, I probably won't drop anything anyway.)
Old 06-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #247
Mad Swapper

My favorite tip:

Make LOTS of Get Well cards and put them on your mantle. When someone drops in unexpectedly and your house is a mess because you have been stamping all day instead of cleaning it, they will think you have been too sick to clean!!
jukie likes this post.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:12 PM   #248
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by valeriecathleen
My favorite tip:

Make LOTS of Get Well cards and put them on your mantle. When someone drops in unexpectedly and your house is a mess because you have been stamping all day instead of cleaning it, they will think you have been too sick to clean!!
ROTFL! You're too funny.

Here's a tip--store your stamps, papers, inks, embellishments, etc. all in different rooms of the house--it will solve the problem of "No time to exercise because I was stampin'!" LOL
Tinkerbell1958 likes this post.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #249
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

My favorite tip:

This is great, best laugh I've had in a while, well until....I read Beverly's. Bev are you getting that heart rate up? Just how big is your house!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #250
Matboard Maniac

Default Stamping Tips

1. I also use gladware containers for the embossing powder and leave a plastic spoon right in the container. Never have to clean up as extra goes right back in container.

2. I mark my stamps with permanent marker on the sides with the name, 1 of (however many are in the set) and my initials. That way if one stamp goes missing, I know where its home is.

3. I take a copy of my stamps either before I mount them or out of the book, mount the image on large 8 x 5 index cards, write the name at the top and how much I paid (in case I got them on line)and list all the catalogs and pages that the set is on so I can go to that page and get ideas. I put an "R" next the last catalog when the set retires. (Who's anal?). I keep them in a Sterlite plastic box with a cover alphabetically. (the looseleaf sounds like a great idea also.)

4. I also have a Pampered Chef storage turnabout that I keep my markers in (of course, by color group - remember I'm anal!). I use permanent marker to write SS, BB, RR, EE on each pen so the go back correctly. The new markers have no great place to write on, though. I also keep a lot of my other tools and scissors and rulers in it.

5. I didn't know how to store my cardstock so that I could get at it easily. Came us with a large plastic file tub that holds hanging files and has a split flip top. Now i can keep the paper by color group and label each hanging file with the name written on a small piece of that paper to I can see at a glance the color and name. I find I use different papers and combos because it is so easy to see and get to.

Okay, I've yammered on long enough. You all have such good tips!!
Old 06-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #251
Crimping Master

Oh, Roxie, not to worry, the heart rate goes up when I create a WONDERFUL card! LOL
Old 06-12-2006, 07:09 AM   #252
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

My favorite tip:

Good one!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #253
Stampin' Fool

http://www.rsmadness.com/stamptips.html
Old 06-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #254
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinkar
Too funny!!!!! My tip would be not to use my heat gun too close to the carpet!! Carpet scorches quite easily and smells really bad! I now have a dedicated clip board for that purpose!!
I think I may have peed my pants when I read this. I thought the ceiling fan comment was the corker....but then I read this....still chuckling. I don't think that we could hang out together....because we could cause a calamity. I have had similar experiences with both products. Thanks for the laughs.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #255
Embossing Fanatic

I have loved reading all your creative tips....what a great thread. Thanks for sharing.

I only have a couple of tips, here they are....I didn't see them here and some I just learned, although they might be a duh!

To store my paper I went and bought large ziplock bags 10x13 from a paper supply store that we have in town (this way I can keep my scraps in with the same color and they aren't in a different place....it keeps me organized) then I store them upright in some metal gardening boxes (they use them for storing dirt) that I found on clearance at Joann last year. They hold 12x12 paper upright perfectly too.

I store my ribbon on a dowel as well, but when I get the ribbon I cut a little slit in the cardboard, so that I can slide the end of the ribbon into it so that I don't have to go searching for the end.

I also have a notebook that I keep to organize my stamp collection (I make a copy of the labels) and I have it organized with dividers the same way the catalog is organized.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #256
Kookie Creator

If I want to cut paper that can't be lined up well on my cutter, I place it on a quilting cutting mat and use a rotary blade with a clear dressmaker's ruler as a cutting guide. It is fast and I have cut through 5 sheets at a time. Those quilting products are great!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #257
Crimping Master

I just thought of one. This is an old teacher's trick:

When you are cutting multiple shapes (w/o a punch), staple the pages together OFF of the image that you want to keep. (in the margins) When you cut, the staple will go into your scrap pile with the scraps but it will do it's job of holding things together until you cut it off.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #258
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby-heartedmom
So, if I go unmounted, do you use a brayer to get even pressure, or just lay it on the table and put the paper on top of it?
You'll use acrylic blocks. There has been a big discussion about this in the general stamping forum and you should be able to find it by just searching "unmounted." I don't want to hi-jack this thread with all that info.
BTW.....I love your avatar......you look like such a happy person.....I just want to be around you!!
Old 06-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #259
Crimping Master

I've read most of these so I hope these aren't repeats.

1. Markers- I have the whole set of SU markers in the case. I velcroed the blender pen case to the side. I put black, gray, and a blender in that case. This way I have all colors if I need to grab and go. I also velcroed a black journaling marker case on so I have a journaler.

2. Markers - White grosgrain ribbon can be colored with the markers to make all 48 SU colors. Color both sides with even strokes of the brush tip and let dry. I don't need to buy twenty 25yd rolls of different colored ribbon to be covered.

3. Markers - I read above that some of you store your markers in the PC turnaround. Remember that markers should be stored on their sides.
ETA: Not trying to be preachy, just a friendly reminder.

Proud to be a SU Demo & USC Gamecock Fan!

Last edited by inkymommy; 06-13-2006 at 04:29 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 07:58 PM   #260
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=inkymommy]

1. Markers- I have the whole set of SU markers in the case. I velcroed the blender pen case to the side. I put black, gray, and a blender in that case. This way I have all colors if I need to grab and go. I also velcroed a black journaling marker case on so I have a journaler.

I love this idea! I had my markers out a little while ago and didn't feel like digging out the black, which is in a whole different spot.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #261
Mad Swapper

Smile

Wow, Bridget! Love your idea about coloring ribbon! White grosgrain is now on my gotta get list!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #262
PAPER SCAPER

I color ribbon by rubbing it right through the stamp pad and you get any color you want. I use a glove but a baggie would also work and just hold your finger pressing the ribbon into the pad and pull it through. Turn it over and do the same. I've done plain and gingham so far, just haven't used much grosgrain at all so can't tell you how it works for this porcedure. But you get any color and it matches your ink!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #263
Glitter Guru

Small ziplock bags work for storing glitter and embossing powder. If I have a small piece to emboss, I just put it in the bag and shake the powder around on the image. I also keep a small embossed piece in the bag to show what the resulting color is. Warning - be sure to zip the bag closed before moving it. (I can assure you this is important!)

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 06-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #264
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rox71
I color ribbon by rubbing it right through the stamp pad and you get any color you want. I use a glove but a baggie would also work and just hold your finger pressing the ribbon into the pad and pull it through. Turn it over and do the same. I've done plain and gingham so far, just haven't used much grosgrain at all so can't tell you how it works for this porcedure. But you get any color and it matches your ink!
I like this idea too. I just use a piece of scotch tape over my finger. I sandwich the ribbon between my finger and the pad and then just pull the ribbon through. I have to work real hard to be patient though because the ribbon needs to dry before you can use it. Duh!
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=16494

Old 06-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #265
PAPER SCAPER

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergstamper
I like this idea too. I just use a piece of scotch tape over my finger. I sandwich the ribbon between my finger and the pad and then just pull the ribbon through. I have to work real hard to be patient though because the ribbon needs to dry before you can use it. Duh!
Never thought about the tape, thanks for that tip. Oh and to help it dry I press it between a paper towel. Speeds it up a little. I'm another impatient one!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:11 AM   #266
Glitter Guru

heres a tip I just read last night in a back issue of stamp vamp news.if you are looking for something to hold a card in.take a drapery hook.the kind that fits in a pleaded curtain.spread the little legs apart from one another.curl up just a slight bit in front.pull the back hook out behind the 2 front hooks so it can stand up.then there you have it a picture frame for your cards to show.you can use this to hold a cd that you altered.some people make clocks out of cd's.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:33 AM   #267
Glitter Guru

another tip I read from my stamp vamp news magazine.if you need to save money on ez mount or need to use a stamp set that hasn't been mounted yet.use a glue stick to hold your rubber stamp on the block .just dab some glue in the back of your stamp and place on your acrylic block,then ink and stamp.when your done just wash in soapy water saves money.

I haven't tried this yet as I think I perfer to have some kind of cushion between the 2 for a better stamping image,not sure if anyone else has done this.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:22 AM   #268
Cardstock Collector

I bought one of those "Apprentice" office organizers at Staples to use in the classroom to keep file folders and workbooks, etc. handy. This summer, I am using it in my craft area to hold my cardstock (filed by color), SU catalog, paper cutters, and a zillion other stamping supplies. It has a lazy-Susan type bottom, so it spins when I'm looking for certain supplies. I LOVE IT! Plus, I can carry it into other rooms where I want to work.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #269
Crimping Master

Here's a tip: I keep a stack of ATC sized cardstock handy (2.5 x 3.5). When I am cleaning up my desk, I use scraps and unused images, etc. to put together a very fast ATC card. Then I put it in my pile to send to Jen's kids. It's a very useful way to use up scraps and doesn't take much time.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #270
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegmommy
Love happyheart's idea for storing Embossing Powder...now to find a little dipper spoon...

There are some neat spoons that may work in containers of Miracle Grow. I was trying to think of what I could use the ones that came with mine for...thanks!!!!

I can't believe all the amazing tips on here! I'm learning SO much!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #271
Pearl-ExPert

I cut up some plastic canvas into retangle shaped templates for cards. I keep them all in a stamp case and now my edges are very straight and my corners are 90 degrees. This is especially nice when I am cutting a whole bunch of the same card for a swap or workshop.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #272
Cardstock Collector

Smile

When I get a new stamp set, I take the image sheet out and put it through the printer and then tape it to the inside of the plastic container. This way, the stamps are rubber side up and you can see exactly what stamps are in that set. Also, it is sometimes tricky getting the stamps to fit back in the container and the sheet shows you exactly how to put your stamps back in.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #273
Glitter Guru

Here are a couple of my favorite tips. Instead of using sticky notepaper when creating masks, I cover the used side of scrap computer paper with my 2-way glue stick. After the glue dries, it becomes respositionable. I keep a prepared sheet handy to stamp my images on ... one sheet will usually last me for quite a long time. After cutting out each mask and using it in my project, I store these masks in a small photo album so they can be reused in future projects.

I also keep a roll of masking tape in my stamp room. I tear off a small strip of the tape and cover the portion of the rubber image that I don't want to appear in my project. I then ink up the stamp, pull off the piece of masking tape and only the inked part will show up when I stamp the image.

What great tips all of you are sharing!!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #274
Matboard Maniac

Wow, there's some great tips here!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:34 PM   #275
Stazon Splitcoast

Pampered Chef sells their little plastic doodads for cleaning off the baking stones. These make excellent bone folders, and at less than a $1 for 3 (if I remember correctly) they are perfect if you are having a stamp camp or a bunch of friends over. They can also be used for scoring too!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #276
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have any brilliant ideas - but I wanted to thank all those who have given so many!
Old 06-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #277
Glitter Guru

here's a new tip I found going back and looking thru some older paper crafts magazines.maybe some of you already know about it but incase not or just to refresh your memories.here's a couple I found.

1.transparecy tricks /money saver
the 3d accent that you buy from meri,jolee's.ek success.
once you take the 3d stickers off the transparency keep this and use for a sheet for your shaker boxes.anything that you can use a transparency sheet for ,like stamping on.slide mounts,print on them.

2.dryer sheets once used.iron them out.when you make a snowman cover the cs with adhesive and layer you dryer sheet on top for a differant look.gives him a fuzzy apearance.you may want to layer the dryer sheets and add 4 together then attach to snowman to give him a fluffier look.add brads for eyes.chalk for cheeks,and orange cs for nose.black or brown wire for a hand.on body.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:41 AM   #278
Crimping Master

When doing a messy technique--give yourself permission to play and experiment. You've already made the mess, why not enjoy it. Do multiple sheets with the technique and file them away for a day when you don't feel like getting messy.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:55 AM   #279
Polyshrink Goddess

What a great bunch of tips all in one place. Some of these I knew but many I had never heard of. Thank you all.

Tanya

Happiness-what an unhappy person wants by changing all but themselves.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #280
Stampin' Fool

hmmm can't honestly remember if this one has been mentioned before already. Those huge desk calenders the ones that basically cover the entire desk are awesome for stamping on top of. When there is too much ink on the paper just throw it away.