Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #201
Village Stamper

One of my favorite tips is to always buy the reinker when you buy the stamp pad. As your collection grows, you'll be glad you did!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:06 PM   #202
Rubber Obsessor

I just bought some great blue eye shadow at the dollar store. I am using it in place of pearl-ex on my cards. It sticks really well to versmark.
Buy some cheap stamp pads at the dollar store for little children to use when they stamp with you. That way, if they get the colors mixed on the stamp pads it isn't such an expensive mistatke.
To make your own "prima" flowers find a white silk bunch of small flowers at the craft store. Pull them off the stems. Color them with markers or just tamp them on a chalk ink pad. Then heat them with your heat gun and they will flatten out. I filled the center with tiny yellow beads or add a brad or button to cover the little hole in the middle.
I keep a notebook filled with favorite quotes or funny sayings. There are tabs for birthday, humor, encouragement, sympathy, get well, and holidays. I print them up on the computer or write them inside my cards.

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Old 04-22-2006, 06:36 PM   #203
Kookie Creator

Thanks for all the great tips, I saved many of them to share with my stamping class. You gals are awesome
Old 05-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #204
Mad Swapper

bumping again for a great thread. Keep those tips comin' along!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #205
Inking Addict

Talking

I recently found a treasure in the grocery store!
They have a new yogurt called "Scoop and Go"
the little container comes with a clear plastic lid with
a mini spoon attached, so when you've eaten all the yogurt
you can use them for your embossing powders, microbeads
glitter etc. Nice handy dandy little goodies!

Love finds like these!
Miles of Smiles
Jo
Old 05-14-2006, 05:13 AM   #206
Glitter Guru

subscribing to this page.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:16 AM   #207
Glitter Guru

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not But I just got my new oriental trading book for scrappin and stamping in the mail.they have a box actually 2 boxes with loads of those little tic tac containers in it to put beads eyelets any kind of small items in it.and you don't have to worry about those making memories eyelets fall out allover the floor when you open up the containers,I throw mine all away when I get them.

I'll be buying tictacs more often now that i can reuse the empty containers and put them to use.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:28 AM   #208
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamptramp
A tip I just learned is to use a piece of plastic canvas as a template for paper piercing. I have cut a 7 mesh rectangle to fit the front of a card. I've also used a circle to pierce in a perfect circle. A square also enables you to pierce and use a marker to "sew" zig zag, but ensure that you line it up carefully first and pierce every second line in two rows, then fill in with a marker. It's such a cheap but effective tool.
This just reminded me of another tip for plastic canvas. I haven't tried it, but heard that you can use a sheet of plactic canvas to cut out perfectly spaced rectangles. Now you have the perfect tool to stamp your alphabet stamps with and line them up straight for a scrapbook page etc.
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=16494

Old 05-14-2006, 06:36 AM   #209
Kookie Creator

Here's the updated tips sheet to this point: Nan
Attached Files
File Type: doc Stampin' tips .doc (60.5 KB, 444 views)

Old 05-14-2006, 07:59 AM   #210
Stampin' Fool

Some of my tips:

Put your vellum tape in a scotch tape dispenser to make it easier to use.

Cut squares of clear quilting grid plastic and adhere to your acrylic blocks to make them gridded. I used poster tape to attach.

Use pantiliners as stamp pads. Put a little reinker on one and throw away when done. Also these are great to use with bleach for bleach pads.

I love to paint with Brilliance reinkers. I don't buy the pads anymore, just the reinkers.

Keep your odds and ends pieces of ribbon in a pretty clear jar. Easy to see what you have.

Lay a piece of latch hook mesh over cardstock and sponge through it for a very rustic looking large canvas look.

You cannot beat pieces of plastic window screen as a cool background.

Eye shadow is a great "chalk".

Lipstick is embossable.

Walmart has the BEST smooth white cardstock at less than $5 for a huge package (Georgia Pacific 110 pound). As good as any white smooth I have ever found.

SU's White Signo pen beats all the others hands down. I have never had one skip or dry up.

If you want to punch gift wrap, tissue or thin paper, put a sheet of computer paper behind it first and you will get a perfect crisp punch.

A small circle punch makes a cute button. Use a tiny hole punch to put "button holes" in it.

Use your markers to color your white cotton or satin ribbon to match your project. Let it dry well.

Hang your embossing gun by a cup hook and it won't get knocked off and start a fire.

Stamping large background stamps like Paisley or Canvas in white on dark colors makes a cool print.

Thick photo mounting tape by scotch from Walmart is much cheaper than pop dots.

Use colored sharpies to mark the tracks in your Coluzzle templates so you always know where to cut.

Mix your stamp cleaner with 2/3 water and it works just as well and goes very far.

Make your own excellent glue dots. Buy the cheap tiny glue sticks. Cut them into teensy pieces. When you need something stuck and I mean really stuck, lay one on your card (sometimes I put a little glue under to hold) and heat with your embossing gun. Attach embellishment. It will never come off.

Round makeup sponges that come in compacts make awesome round stamps if attached with poster tape to an acrylic block.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #211
Stampin' Fool

A really fun technique tip. Fill a large container with water. Use Salley Hansens clear nail polish (other brands may work as well but this is what I've used) take a piece of dark cardstock and submerge it and place a drop of the nail polish on the top of the water it should spread out and make a beautiful rainbow of colors. You may need a toothpick to make is seperate out a little bit. Then lay out your pieces to dry. It's a really beautiful and fun technique.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #212
Die Cut Diva

Wow, what amazing tips. I wish I had some to share, but I haven't been doing this very long. Thanks ladies!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #213
Mad Swapper

A friend gave me this tip: I only have spots and one large black pad, so in order to keep all of my spots organized, easily accessible & travel ready, I put them in a clear plastic file case. (100 Yen store purchase, Dollar store to all you stateside gals) They all fit and I can just flip them over to keep the juicy on top. Since they're all in the same case, I wrote SS (Soft Subtles), EE, BB, or RR on each one so I can easily remember the color family they belong to.

On my jars of EP, I embossed the lid. I can easily pick up each jar and know exactly what color I am grabbing.

I keep a small folder sized divider and keep a variety of pre-folded cardstock inside, so when I'm in a hurry, I can grab it and get to work. And it's easy to bring with me when I stamp at a friend's house.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #214
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
Use pantiliners as stamp pads. Put a little reinker on one and throw away when done. Also these are great to use with bleach for bleach pads.
If I ever get reinkers and try this, I think I will have to cut the liner into a less traumatic shape, like a nice rectangle. Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #215
Mad Swapper

What a GREAT thread! I'm so happy I found it!

My tips are here in different forms, but here is what I do:

If your new stamp doesn't stamp well (usually has a waxy kind of film on it), just give it a light brush with a nail file, and it sill pick up the ink a lot better!

To clean your scissors, you can use plain old regular nail polish remover, or plain old rubbing alcohol! Good as new!!

To use a background stamp, put the stamp wood-side down, ink it up, place your paper on top, then a scrap piece over it and rub, rub, rub. You'll get a cleaner image and your hands will stay clean!

Add clouds to any project: sponges or sponge daubers dipped in white craft ink, then dab on your paper until you get the shape and size you want!

HTH!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #216
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Photography tongs

When embossing, I hold onto the cardstock with bamboo tongs that photo developers use in the darkroom. Usually called "print tongs," they are available online at Cameraworld.com or henrys.com or focuscamera.com
Bamboo tongs are long enough to keep your fingers well away from the heat.
John 3:16
Old 05-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #217
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
A really fun technique tip. Fill a large container with water. Use Salley Hansens clear nail polish (other brands may work as well but this is what I've used) take a piece of dark cardstock and submerge it and place a drop of the nail polish on the top of the water it should spread out and make a beautiful rainbow of colors. You may need a toothpick to make is seperate out a little bit. Then lay out your pieces to dry. It's a really beautiful and fun technique.

Very interesting! You're saying that your carstock will turn a rainbow of colors?

Doesn't your paper get kind of warped?

I guess I just need to try it and see.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #218
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
You can do the same type of thing with your chalks. Water in a shallow container, scrap some of your chalks into the water (they float), then lay the paper on the top. Submerge a little then lift out. Dry on newsprint and weight or iron to flatten. Beautiful subtle backgrounds.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #219
Glitter Guru

empty cereal boxes can be used as chipboard.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #220
Glitter Guru

When I got my ep I used white cardstock just a tiny piece and took a small sample from each jar and mixed it with lumiere.dab just a tiny bit on paper and let dry.then I cut it out and taped it on top of each jar.so I would know what each color would look like when you want it and much easier to find since the colors aren't on the top of each jar.Or if you have su's ep if you have an extra copy of an old magazine you can just rip out that 1 page where the embossing powders are cut out each color and also tape to the top of the jar much quicker.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #221
Polyshrink Goddess

When you get a new stamp. after you mount it on your wood block. Take some clear nail polish and paint the bottom side of the block, without getting the polish on the rubber of your stamp.

The block will stay clean forever instead of picking up inks and cleaners and stuff.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #222
Stampin' Fool

Last night I discovered that I can mix bits of embossing powder together to get some very artsy results. I mixed a bit of dark orange, copper, and coffeen colored ep and got a really great looking leaf as a result. So then I mixed red, pink, silver, and a bit of white and made a heart. I am making recipe cards so that I can replicate the ones I like when I run out.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #223
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftMomm
When you get a new stamp. after you mount it on your wood block. Take some clear nail polish and paint the bottom side of the block, without getting the polish on the rubber of your stamp.

The block will stay clean forever instead of picking up inks and cleaners and stuff.
Actually you can just line them up and spray them with an acrylic sealer before you mount anything and be done a lot faster and get the same result!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #224
Glitter Guru

Vicky I wished I had done this a long time ago.bought the einker when I bought my stamp pads.Now I have to get my reinkers on all my stamp pads.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:22 AM   #225
Glitter Guru

just bringing this back around incase anyone else has more to add to this. since we always find more tips.later on.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:02 AM   #226
Kookie Creator

1. Use your chalks to color twill.
2. When stamping a solid image, such as simply circles, use your aqua painter and stamp pad to "fill in" areas that did not stamp completely.
3. Use your stylus to push ribbon through holes.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #227
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL_Kelly
1. Use your chalks to color twill.
2. When stamping a solid image, such as simply circles, use your aqua painter and stamp pad to "fill in" areas that did not stamp completely.
3. Use your stylus to push ribbon through holes.
I am liking tip #2! I recently stamped the balloon wheel on a graduation card, and one of the balloons didn't ink up. I was thinking of using a marker to fill it in, but I bet an aquapainter would work better.
Thank you!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #228
Proud Fan Club Member

Default tips

I love this thread!!! I have a couple of ideas to share:

If you buy the round sponges, cut them in 4 and you can use them for different colors...

I use acetate sheets with my Stamp-a-majig, the SU stamp pad is permanent ink- or use stazon. I save the sheet in the box the stamp set comes in and use it over and over.....

If you have eraseable pens- the ink stays wet longer- so you can hand write any sentiment and then emboss it

My demo takes vellum and puts it in dyed water to have custom collered vellum(just add re-inkers of your color choice).

If you use shrink plastic, the first thing I do when I buy it is make a 'template' for each package- cut a piece about 4 or 5 inches long x's one inch wide. Draw the markings from a ruler at 1/4 inch intervals- then shrink it. Now you can always gauge how small your finished image will be by matching the original image measurements to your template

Do not emboss near your stove- if you heat up the stove and there are any specks of EP on the surface- thay will not come off. Ask me how I know this.......

Finally- this just came to me yesterday. I have always wanted to make a card with the spotlight technique. I always thought you had to stamp the image twice and punch a small piece of one image to use as the raised image on the spotlight card. Well, if the spotlighted image had a darker slightly larger plain CS piece behind it- you can just punch it out of the original and not have to make a second image- is this correct??? (I am not blonde).....

I always use CS sample swatchs on a ring to see how colors look together, and
I always make swatch samples of art materials, eg.. ribbon, PE (white and dark colored CS behind them), Radiant Pearls, etc.... I always find web sites (I look here first) where someone has already made the template to use to make these swatches. Cause I have no clue how to make them!

Thanks for this awesome post!!! This SCS community is so wonderful!

Shelly
Old 06-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #229
Embossing Fanatic

This thread is full of great ideas. Thanks
Old 06-10-2006, 04:14 AM   #230
Mad Swapper

Smile

I searched through this forum to see if the tip I have about tweezers was in here and I missed adding it somehow. I gave a tip in a comment to Sharon Reynolds's punched card: //www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=296802. My tip was: I use tweezers to pick them (tiny bits of wrought iron punched pieces) up, drag or dip the part you want to attach in the glue, then stick the tiny piece where you want. No more gluey fingers!
Old 06-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #231
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
If I ever get reinkers and try this, I think I will have to cut the liner into a less traumatic shape, like a nice rectangle. Thanks for the tips!
Baby wipes work well for this too, fun to mix colors.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #232
Pearl-ExPert

My favorite tip is doing things in shifts and having one of those little padded lunch boxes filled with items ready to go to bring in the car for appointments so I can do stuff while I am waiting.

The little lunch box is about 6 x 8 and has a Basic blank ink pad, a few stamps that are the "color in" type of stamp (not bold), a few markers, a few watercolor pencils, a pack of H20s, a blender pen, some water brushes, my stampin scrub and mist and some white c/s cut into various sizes. Oh and I put a Mat stack in there the other day which was nice, it is a 4x6 or so pad of patterned paper in a stack of precut size and when I stamp the images I can color to match the various sheets of paper so I can layer with that sheet of paper.

Bascially a stamp kit to go so I can stamp some images in black and color while I am in the car waiting for someone to pick up or at doctors appointments instead of looking through magazines while the kids play.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #233
Stampin' Fool

When microwaving to unmount stamps you do not have to do one at a time. Fill a whole 9 x 12 acrylic frame and microwave for 65 seconds and the whole set it ready to peel!
Old 06-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #234
Embossing Fanatic

Talking My favorite tips

Save your old phone books / tear off the top cover. When using glue sticks, place your work on the first sheet, do your gluing to your CS / when finished, throw away the sheet used. Your book is now ready for the next session.

For storing pencils / markers, etc - I save the doggie treat (clear cylinder type with yellow lids - forgot the brand - bought at Wal-Mart) containers There are 2 sizes, - I use the tallest.

Julie
Old 06-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #235
Mad Swapper

Smile

Thanks, Julie! I love the phone book tip. Pages would also be good for embossing, then pitch that page! Boy, I should have read this yesterday! It's also a nice soft, but not too soft, pad for stamping!
Old 06-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #236
Crimping Master

I'm looking for tips to make cleaning my background stamps easier. I just hate using them 'cause I hate cleaning the big ole clunkers.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #237
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby-heartedmom
I'm looking for tips to make cleaning my background stamps easier. I just hate using them 'cause I hate cleaning the big ole clunkers.
I use a dauber tipped cleaner and a toothbrush. Stamp off alot first. Then add cleaner and scrub, scrub, scrub. Finish on a stampin scrub to get the last bit of residue off. Helps get that craft ink off. HTH.

Proud to be a SU Demo & USC Gamecock Fan!
Old 06-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #238
Insane Embellisher

I'm glad this thread was brought back to the top because I lost track of it. Lots more fantastic tips and techniques have been added. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #239
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby-heartedmom
I take the scrubby thing out of my stampin scrub and rub it. (I have an extra one)
Old 06-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #240
Kookie Creator

I like the idea to paint the stamp blocks with clear acrylic paint prior to mounting the stamps.

l've had some people borrow and ruin my stamps in the past and I've tried so many cleaners and nothing works. I even ended up sanding some of my blocks.

I recently learned that using a cheap pair of scissors to scrape the stained area of the wood works wonders. I sometimes wet just the stained place on the block with water and my finger to raise the grain of the wood and I'm able to scrape the stain right off. You'd be surprised how many stamps I've fixed to be good as new just by scraping.

dctalktexas likes this post.