Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #81
Glitter Queen

Talking

This site is the best ever!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #82
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
Well since everyone likes the idea of the tape for the mesh how about trying metal repair tape. You can find it in any hardware store and it comes in a variety of sizes usually. I have some that is a few inches thick and I just got a roll that is only about 1/2 an inch thick. So far I've only seen it in silver in the hardware store but I believe there are ways to get it in brass and copper. It adds a nice dimension to cards and is already adhesive so no worrying about sticking it to the paper. The really thick rolls I use for dry embossing and the thin ones are fun for adding layers.

Oh yeah I had totally forgotten about mentioning the clipboard thing. I've got a tin foil covered piece of cardboard on top but a magazine works as well. I never thought of actually covering the clipboard. I also like the idea of the locking cabinet I don't have kids but I could see where that would be really handy especially with some of the supplies we use.
The tape is also known as flashing tape and you can use it to 'emboss.'

Glue die cuts onto cs. Cover with the flashing tape and brayer over the top. The die cuts will make the tape look like it has been embossed. Color with daubed on alcohol inks. To make the 'embossing' pop off the page, pat a permanent black stamp pad over the raised areas and then buff the raised areas. The black ink doesn't stay on but does remove the color from the raised areas.

Rainsong
Old 07-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #83
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=kristransue]Since someone brought it up, I store my scraps in a clear page protector in each of the file folders that I have my cardstock stored in. When I need a color I check my scrap page protector first to see if there is a scrap that size first.

I also got the pockets and pieces die cut sheets, I punched out one each of the die cuts and covered them in contact paper, I stored those in a ziplock bag and will use those to cut out pockets and pieces in any color I want in the future.[/QUO

Kristransue,
Do you store 12x12 cs in file folders? If so, where did you find the folders? I'm looking for cs storage solution.
Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:38 AM   #84
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

[QUOTE=cropmaster2000]
Quote:

Originally Posted by kristransue
Since someone brought it up, I store my scraps in a clear page protector in each of the file folders that I have my cardstock stored in. When I need a color I check my scrap page protector first to see if there is a scrap that size first.

I also got the pockets and pieces die cut sheets, I punched out one each of the die cuts and covered them in contact paper, I stored those in a ziplock bag and will use those to cut out pockets and pieces in any color I want in the future.[/QUO

Kristransue,
Do you store 12x12 cs in file folders? If so, where did you find the folders? I'm looking for cs storage solution.
Thanks!!
Here's a link:
http://www.craftstorage.com/cgi-bin...y.cgi?10X339518

Rainsong
Old 07-21-2005, 09:11 AM   #85
Compulsive Stamper

I don't know if someone mentioned this one, but I purchased one of those larger silicone square oven mitts (actually looks like a trivit, but its rubbery) and I do my embossing on it. Its safe for up to like 600 degrees! I just roll it up and it fits into the drawer w/o taking up any space! I got it at Marshall's for like 3.99!! Works great at protecting the dining room table that I work on!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #86
Mad Swapper

Smile Coo-uhl Tip!

Reading the thread about the SLC convention reminded me of the neat thing I learned to do with my catty from my new SU friends in Florida. I saw at the first stamp camp I went to that most of the ladies had their catalogs spiral bound. The first time I went to Staples (with my 2003-2004 catty) I noticed that when it was cut, some of the prices or pictures got cut off. I've made a point to tell them since (2 more catalogs) to cut as close to the edge as possible. So I always get my catty trimmed and the black or white spiral binding done at Staples for around $3. I had to go through the last catty and carefully separate a few pages, but nothing is missing! CTMH does their catties this way for us! When will SU get with the program?

Another hint is when you fussy cut something to layer it, take a matching marker and color the white edges so they don't show.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #87
Pearl-ExPert

Red face

found old plastic cassette trays (?) that hold 30 cassettes. They fit in a drawer or mount on your wall and hold SU ink pads! Cheap, too, but hard to find.

Old 07-21-2005, 05:01 PM   #88
Kookie Creator

yeah I found an old wooden cassette holder that Su inks fit into perfectly for $2.00 at a sale...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:39 PM   #89
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegmommy
Love happyheart's idea for storing Embossing Powder...now to find a little dipper spoon...

Some teaspoon sets you can get 1/8th and even 1/16th spoons. Also, check with your local pharmacy, they may have little tiny scoops like that.

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Old 07-21-2005, 06:52 PM   #90
Pearl-ExPert

Here is how I store my 12 x 12 paper, but I don't have a lot. I think you could make this as big as you need however.

I got one of those wire cube things you put together. I made a square. I took some extra sides and put them inside to make shelves. I used "zip ties" to make them stay.

It is hard to describe, but it works very well. It doesn't cost much and the wire cubes could be used in another way if I wanted.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #91
Crimping Master

Great Great thread! I've already covered my clipboard with aluminum foil. Other teachers at school say I am the "3-Ring Binder Queen" so I also like that suggestion for storing scraps. I'll have to ponder on that one as I don't particularly like my current system. Here are a few of my tips:

Numero Uno: Creative Memories sidekick! Now, my ever present water glass or soda bottle is safely out of the way and I don't risk ruining any of my projects.

*Film canisters: I use them to store mixtures of Heat and Stick powder and whatever scent I am using to make scented cards. I have a lemon one and a coffee one so far. Label with white file folder labels
*I use an old-fashioned needle threader to help with threading linen thread, fibers and hemp twine. Works wonders!
*Orange sticks and hat pins - work wonders for placing small amounts of adhesive or Crystal Effects. I use my orange stick pointy end to help push things through holes and the flat end to stir mixtures (EP, Pearlex, etc).
*I LOVE my Pampered Chef tool holder - I need another!
*I have a hard time remembering which pad belongs with which color family, so now the ends of all my pads have BB, EE, RR or SS on them. Easy to see in the color caddy and makes putting things away a lot easier
*I have a dedicated Versa Mark pad for stamping in color to emboss
*I use extra Stampin' Mist bottles (buy the bottle, dump contents in the refill bottle) for water and alcohol. These provide a much finer mist when you need to mist a water color project or use alcohol on the drunken chalk technique
*I purchased the Powder Pals from SU! and have not regretted the purchase. I use them for dumping EP - the little funnel works well for dumping back in the container. I use the large one when I do the shaving cream technique - holds a full piece of 8 1/2 X 11 card stock.

Keep the ideas and tips coming! This is a very useful thread!

Old 07-21-2005, 09:18 PM   #92
Gallery Gazer

These are great tips!

For storing my scraps of paper I use a 5 drawer Sterilite thingy. I have reds and pinks in one drawer, yellows and oranges etc.... It's nice cuz it's right there on my table so I can grab the drawer I need and shuffle thru it.

The other tip is if you don't have the ink refills to use for watercoloring, you can while your stamp pad is closed, push down on the top a couple of times and the ink will bead up on the inside of the top ready to use.
And if you only use the spots (like me) scrape the edge of the plastic top across the spot on an angle to get some ink on it. Then you can use your blender pen, Aquapainter, paintbrush whatever to pick up the ink to color with.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #93
Matboard Maniac

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by straw
I just tried this tip, can't seem to get it to work. Does it have to be a SU eyelet?

Thanks
CC
I just thought to answer this. This (eyelet) tip does work but the eyelet has to be alloy not metal. The alloy is softer and you can "press it" in place. SU eyelets bshould work for this. Hope that answers your question. Alloy eyelets always work better with hamerless tools.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #94
mothermcbride

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirus
Wonder how you found this out???
Here are the ones I can think of now, love this stuff!

I found a paper funnel at the Mobile station (free) that helps with EP
This just made me think I could probaby use my cone coffee filters for the same purpose. Thanks!

I like to use spongey, pointey makeup applicators for my pastels.

Old 07-23-2005, 04:41 AM   #95
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittypaws
When I get a new stamp set, I stamp each image on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper (you can get more than one stamp set on a page) and then label the name of the set on the page, then put this in a 3-ring binder. I can usually remember the large pieces, but this is particularly useful for some of the small images that come in a set that you might want to use as a background, etc. It's a lot easier to go through a 3-ring binder than rummaging through stamp sets. Works for me.
I do something similar. I make 2 copies of the stamp labels before I stick them on my stamps; I put one in the bottom of the plastic container that holds the stamp set so I know what stamps belong in that set. The other copy I put in a notebook.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:59 AM   #96
Embossing Fanatic

I did something wrong and want to delete this messages, but don't know how to do it!
So the following tip isn't mine but from "purplewinkle"!
Try to do it again!

Here is another tip:

When I read about a technique I don't know how to do I just go to goggle and do a search. It helps to include words like "rubber stamping technique" so far I have always been able to find insttructions.[/QUOTE]

I google a lot, but didn't think of this. Thanks!

This is such a great thread. I like these tips, because I'm just a beginner.

Last edited by HannieH; 07-23-2005 at 07:11 AM..
Old 07-23-2005, 07:02 AM   #97
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkle
yo yo yellow is current and I love that color. It is in the bold bright color family

Here is another tip:

When I read about a technique I don't know how to do I just go to goggle and do a search. It helps to include words like "rubber stamping technique" so far I have always been able to find insttructions.
I google a lot, but didn't think of that, thanks!

This is just a great thread, esp. for me as a beginner.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:36 PM   #98
Stampin' Fool

Default Goo Gone

I just used goo gone on my scissors after cutting some rubber and it worked wonders to get the sticky stuff off. I imagine it would work well for punches and other tools that have been gummed up by adhesives.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:21 PM   #99
Pearl-ExPert

I remembered what a SU demonstrator taught me a long time ago.

SU's clear detail embossing powder will emboss dye ink. Just a little-but it is enough to give it a little gloss and keep the colors from running if you watercolor them.

I don't know if the other detail embossing powders do, but the clear does. I have tried the detail clear from other companies and it doesn't work.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:28 AM   #100
Pearl-ExPert

You get much better results embossing with Classic inks if you first ink your stamp with Versa Mark, then ink it with the Classic ink. Stamp the image, apply clear EP, and heat emboss. The Versa Mark will not harm your colored ink pads, and you can emboss in all 48 SU! colors!
Old 07-24-2005, 05:10 AM   #101
Hardware Hotshot

Such great tips from everyone, thanks so much!

I store my scrap c/s in half sized file folders by color groups

I put a too small to use piece of white or vanilla c/s behind the label of the stamp set name. I tape it to the inside of the case and stamp a few images in the extra space for handy reference (seems I am always looking for the set that has a small perfect circle). The c/s behind reduces the glare from the clear label

We found a wooden teachers mail slotter case for $5 at an auction, cut it in half, added a new back and instantly had 2 holders for SU ink pads that hold all 48 colors and then some. I labeled the top 4 rows with the four color groups and have the name and a color swatch of the individual inks along the sides.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:42 AM   #102
Crimping Master

I just improved the usability of my Color Caddy by purchasing one of those Rubbermaid lazy susan trays. This one has a small foam base on the top so that the caddy doesn't scoot around. Now, my caddy twirls perfectly!

Old 07-25-2005, 06:45 AM   #103
Polyshrink Goddess

More I thought of...
Ads or magazines are great when you are gluing a lot of things - just use a new sheet for each new piece you glue and you won't have a mess!
I love the pencil holders that are on sale for 2/$1 this time of year, I put all kinds of supplies in them, label them, and they stack
And those little photo albums (like a buck at Michaels) are great to hold all of your brass stencils.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.

Last edited by kyloescards; 07-25-2005 at 06:50 AM..
Old 07-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #104
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin8mom
I've posted this tip before, but I am an avid watercolorer and this is my all time favorite tip that was passed on to me.

Stamp your image you are going to watercolor onto the cardstock. Lightly spray with Krylon Matte Spray (available with sealers and spray paints). It will dry in seconds. (best to shake the can for 30 seconds before you spray! as per instructions on the can)

The matte spray makes any ink waterproof (navy, gray, brown, etc.) and lightly coats the paper so the watercolors blend effortlessly.

You can watercolor with any medium - aquapainters, blender pens, paintbrushes, etc.

Because the paper is coated, it won't soak up the water as fast, won't curl and won't "pill."

Love my matte spray!!!

Kathy

I am highlighting this tip because I just tried it a few days ago and I'm AMAZED at the difference the matte spray makes! I have all sorts of watercolor paints (liquid, cake, tube, etc.) and different types of papers and could never get the results I was looking for. The paper would always pill. When I tried this tip from Kathy I immediately fell in love with watercoloring!--no more pilling, and the colors really do blend wonderfully! And--the paper I used was regular old cardstock, which wound up working better than any specialty watercolor paper I had tried before! Please try this tip if you've every tried to watercolor and weren't please with the results....or if you've been intimidated by it and haven't tried before. This is a fantastic tip and you won't be disappointed!

Amy J. in Wisconsin
dctalktexas and sran702 like this post.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:45 AM   #105
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyloescards
More I thought of...
Ads or magazines are great when you are gluing a lot of things - just use a new sheet for each new piece you glue and you won't have a mess!
I love the pencil holders that are on sale for 2/$1 this time of year, I put all kinds of supplies in them, label them, and they stack
And those little photo albums (like a buck at Michaels) are great to hold all of your brass stencils.
What kind of pencil holder do you mean?

Old 07-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #106
Inking Addict

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegmommy
Love happyheart's idea for storing Embossing Powder...now to find a little dipper spoon...
Usually ice cream shops will give you samples on a little spoon. It is a double win, a yummy morsel and a free little dipper spoon.
southgirl likes this post.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #107
Mad Swapper

Cool School Ones

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinbird
What kind of pencil holder do you mean?
Look in the school supplies aisle of any store. Little plastic boxes, usually with clasps or handles. You'll see tons of them, all sizes, all colors, usually cheap! I have one for markers, one for EP, one for . . . . LOL
Old 07-26-2005, 11:47 PM   #108
Matboard Maniac

Fabric Softner Dryer Sheets - cheap substitute for Mulberry paper

After drying loads of laundry, a friend of mine saves her used Fabric Softner sheets and uses them instead of Mulberry paper for her cards.
She mixes a few drops of food coloring with water in a small dish and soaks the sheet in the dish. Then she hangs the sheet to dry overnight. It looks really nice and makes her cards smell nice. I don't think you can stamp directly on the sheet but it looks nice peeking out behind a stamped image on CS. Tearing the sheet makes the sheet edges stringy (which is interesting). My pal mostly cuts the sheet with scissors.

Every brand has a different consistency. For instance, Clingfree is the softest type of sheet and Bounce is quite stiff.

Also, after drying a load of dark laundry, the sheet can look dingy and gray. She throws those out because she says they look dirty after they are dyed.

My plan is to use the SU reinker for the dying process. This way the sheet matches the other SU products.

Once I make a card, I'll post it here. I have to figure out how to upload a card (this is the hard part - I'm just a newbie)

I'd love to know if anyone else tries this technique!

Celina

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Old 07-27-2005, 07:05 AM   #109
Glitter Guru

Default Great thread

Thanks for the tip on dying fabric softener sheets. Guess I'll have to do laundry now!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 07-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #110
Mad Swapper

Cool

Thanks, Celina in Burnaby! Welcome to SCS from Florida! I will definitely try your hint about dying dryer sheets and substituting them for mulberry paper! TYFS
Old 07-28-2005, 12:51 AM   #111
Kookie Creator

I store my sponge daubers in a plastic shotgun shell case. They fit perfectly! You can get the cases in various sizes for $2 or $3 at any sporting goods store.
SCS Member #2018
southgirl likes this post.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #112
Polyshrink Goddess

Kathryn was right - the cheap school supplies pencil holders...
I love them for 50 cents or less this time of year, I am going to put my card exchange in them this month - they are a little thick and won't fit in my regular reusable envelope. I also have tons of other stuff in them, I sort my Michaels $1 and other non-su stamps into groupings (Easter, flowers. pets etc) my sharpies are in one, colored pencils with eraser and pencil sharpener.
They come in colored and semi-clear so you can grab by color when your looking for something or the semi-clear ones are nice since you can see in them.
And another new tip - I just put ribbon through my little xyron (the x shaped one) and I taped 3 narrow pieces to a 1 inch piece of paper angeled the edges and pushed it through so I had all three on one sheet of xyron saving time and money!
I read in a magazine yesterday to apply cloth to the back side of sticky foam sheets and then the cloth could be cut out and applied foam side down. Looked good in print - should add some depth and there are multiple colors

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #113
Mad Swapper

First of all - thanks to all of you for the super cool hints!

Now for a couple that I have to share:

1) My upline and I started writing (in super fine sharpie marker) the name of the set on the side of all the stamps within that set. This helps SO MUCH if you are like us and pull out stamps from a set and can't remember which set it came from, you just look on the side! There are times that I have had four or five individual stamps from different sets out, and while I know where most go, it helps to be sure.

2) I have a small punch holder - much like people store shoes in - that I keep my EP in. The tops are still available so I can tell my SU stuff from other brands, but I can also see the colors though the clear plastic fronts.

3) I have a small filing cabinet for my cardstock. I have two hanging folders for each color - one for full sheets, and one for scraps. It works well.....

4) I have never heard of a dental floss threader, but I do cross-stitch and use a similar tool that you can find in that section. You can usually get 3 for a buck or two. I use them to get beads onto cord for an added touch.

5) I have a tubbie for just scrap paper to use to stamp on. Not only does it save these pieces from going in the trash, but I am using what could be thrown away!! Plus, I am always printing on regular paper and then finding a mistake and needing to reprint it. The old pieces go into the box to use later!

6) I save the larger rubber scraps that I cut off when mounting stamps. You can mount them onto blocks of wood and come up with your own funky background stamp. You can also make designs like rotating blocks and color them in with the markers to stamp!

7) I bought two large sponges from Home Depot that are used to clean grout after a tile floor is finished. I used a pair of scissors and cut them into smaller pieces -- I got almost 60 pieces from the two -- to use with ink pads! They aren't the prettiest, but they work as well as SU!'s

Another tip that I picked up here is getting a helping hand tying ribbon. YOu can use the grippers from Making Memories -- tie the first section of the knot, put the grippers on and then tie the second knot or bow without having to call someone to come and help!

9) I found little plastic spoons at a local scrapbooking store. They came 4 for $4.00. I use them for dazzling diamonds and microbeads.

10) I use two paper plates when I use glitter or EP. I put the ink on then place the card over the paper plate and pour on the EP/glitter. I can then tap it off onto the same plate. I use two when I am making a swap or several cards, because I can pour them onto one plate, then I can use the second plate later (Okay, wow -- you would never think I knew the English language. Sorry it is as clear as mud!!)

I'll think if I can come up with any more, hope these help someone!

Amy

Last edited by btalem; 07-28-2005 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Remembered more.....
Old 07-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #114
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by btalem
Another tip that I picked up here is getting a helping hand tying ribbon. YOu can use the grippers from Making Memories -- tie the first section of the knot, put the grippers on and then tie the second knot or bow without having to call someone to come and help!

Amy
Amy, thanks for the tip; the gripper must be like having a third hand.
Beverly
Old 07-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #115
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by outsiderartist
Here is a tip I learned from a member of my monthly stamp group, take those little Silica gel packets you get with new shoes, some foods and other purchases and put them in the containers that you have you EP in... it is supposed to keep the ep from being all staticy and it also prevents moisture build up.
I tried this with my black embossing powder and it clumped and didn't look good at all embossed.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:46 AM   #116
Stampin' Fool

Default Tablecloth

I was just reading the tips of what not to do while stamping and I thought of something that might be helpful. Lots of us stamp on our dining room tables or other tables that we would rather not ruin with a variety of inks, paints, etc... I use one of those tablecloths that have a little bit of fabric on the back kind of felt like and have a plastic top. They come in all sorts of patterns and it's super simple to wipe up ink stain etc... That way I don't have to stress out too much about my table getting ruined.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:55 AM   #117
Stazon Splitcoast

I use a clear dollar store shower curtain to protect my table. It lasts forever although I do use scrap paper, too.

I've been making potpourri bags from my used dryer sheets. Sew two together, turn rightside out, slip a piece of paper in between and stamp something on the front and back, fill with potpourri, add a tag, and tie closed with a ribbon. Makes a great hostess gift. (You can also stamp them before you sew together.)
Old 07-31-2005, 06:36 AM   #118
Glitter Queen

Default favorite tip

This is the best thread ever!!!!

I have two ideas that have come to mind while reading this.

I purchased from Walmart in the material department a piece of vinyl fabric with the cotton type backing off a roll. It was 2.99 a yard. This would be the same as the tablecloth but cheaper. I bring it out on craft days. I use it until it gets cut. ( somehow my daughter cut through it, and not even on a craft day) I found the same pattern as my tablecloth and drapes, so it matches when I have it on the table.

Secondly, I love the storage containers at Walmart that have 3 drawers to fit 12 x 12. I have purchased a few of them and separate my paper by themes.

It is a lot easier than storing it upright.

Keep the ideas coming, I am sure learning a lot.

FAXCAT
Old 07-31-2005, 09:16 AM   #119
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cropmaster2000
I'd also like to know if it has to be a SU eyelet in order for the 1/16" punch to work. anyone?

TIA!
I have both su eyelets and those from Joanns and have found the Su one work with the punchs. A couple of my friends have said the silver, gold and other metal ones may not work as they are harder. The Joann's ones are too long to get under the punch. I hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #120
Mad Swapper

Smile Bumping Again!

Wake up, nice thread! There has to be more stuff out there!