Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #1121
Glitter Guru

And if you use Ranger Multi Medium Matte in the small bottles, you can just put the fine tip bottle tops on the Multi Medium bottles. That's assuming they're the same ones I'm thinking of. It's an older Jennifer McGuire tip. No pun intended.

You just use a pair of pliers (or I just used scissors) to pull off the Ranger top, and then screw on the fine tip cap.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
maryp and grateful2bsaved like this post.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #1122
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I love the idea - thank you! I don't have tons of embossing folders but almost never use them.

And I was more wondering if the bumpiness would mean an extra charge - IOW if it goes through the machine or has to be hand canceled. Have you mailed any to yourself as a test to see how the embossing holds up? I'd think even if it gets somewhat flattened it will still show up well.
That's a good idea.I never worried about the embossing holding up. I use a decent quality envelope, not the paper thin ones. So I think they'd have to REALLY get squashed to get messed up. I figure, even squashed it's still better than "naked", hmm? Now I'm going to have to mail one to myself though.

I haven't been charged extra for them, and trust me, if there should be a charge the lady at my post office would charge me! It's a small post office, and there are 2 main ladies. One just tosses them in the bag to mail after commenting on them. The other one charges me if I have so much as a tiny rhinestone. That woman either has X-ray vision or can read Braille. I bet there's no charge because the embossing is soft, if that makes sense. Like bubble envelopes, there's not an charge for them being lumpy (that I know of.) I've sent about a half dozen or so with the envelopes embossed. Four of those were mailed with the strict mail lady, and the other two were mailed with the lenient one. Of the six, two did have an extra postage stamp on them, but only because the embellishments made them lumpy.

Hey, just realized something! No need to mail myself an envelope. I gave DH a birthday card to mail to my stepdad today. I can ask my Mom to take a picture and show me how it looks by the time it gets there. (Although it's not traveling far, just from one island to the other.) I'll be sure and post right away if there's a problem with it.
maryp, fl_beachbum and bjeans like this post.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #1123
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have never even noticed this thread before. I hope I have downtime tomorrow because I'm sure there are SO many ideas in here. At the moment, I just can't wait to emboss some folders!! And I think I'll put a roll of tape in my car; my dog always likes to rub against my pants one more time before I leave for work. ha!

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
Old 12-16-2017, 02:19 PM   #1124
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
And if you use Ranger Multi Medium Matte in the small bottles, you can just put the fine tip bottle tops on the Multi Medium bottles. That's assuming they're the same ones I'm thinking of. It's an older Jennifer McGuire tip. No pun intended.

You just use a pair of pliers (or I just used scissors) to pull off the Ranger top, and then screw on the fine tip cap.
I should be embarrassed to admit this, but in that same drawer with what were the mystery bottles, is a bottle of Ranger Multi Medium Matte that also hasn't been used. Now I remember, it was while watching Jennifer McGuire's "best of 2016" video that I ordered it. I'm sure it was very, very late at night when I did it. That's the only time there's any peace and quiet at my house. I remember now, I bought the Multi Medium because that's how she glues her sequins down. I've still been using the tiny glue dots to stick them down. (Using the tweezers recommended by Jennifer McGuire. ) Despite what it sounds like, I rarely run out and buy things willy nilly. Those were the first Jennifer McGuire videos I'd ever watched. I might have gotten a tad bit carried away.

Thanks for reminding me how to change the caps. You saved me having to go look it up.
maryp and bjeans like this post.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #1125
Stazon Splitcoast

Adriana, I first came across this thread over five years ago, but it's been around for twelve years. Every so often I post something to keep it from getting buried forever. Mainly because so many of these tips have come in very handy for me.
inkymommy, maryp, jah636 and 2 others like this post.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:53 AM   #1126
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
I should be embarrassed to admit this, but in that same drawer with what were the mystery bottles, is a bottle of Ranger Multi Medium Matte that also hasn't been used. Now I remember, it was while watching Jennifer McGuire's "best of 2016" video that I ordered it. I'm sure it was very, very late at night when I did it. That's the only time there's any peace and quiet at my house. I remember now, I bought the Multi Medium because that's how she glues her sequins down. I've still been using the tiny glue dots to stick them down. (Using the tweezers recommended by Jennifer McGuire. ) Despite what it sounds like, I rarely run out and buy things willy nilly. Those were the first Jennifer McGuire videos I'd ever watched. I might have gotten a tad bit carried away.

Thanks for reminding me how to change the caps. You saved me having to go look it up.
Me too. I was looking for some glue that would glue intricate die cuts without leaving shiny spots (Especially if I goof up). I was under impressed. I found Art Glitter Glue (no glitter in it despite the name) and it works.
maryp, Paula in GA and grateful2bsaved like this post.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #1127
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Ishouldbe embarrassed to admit this, but in that same drawer with what were the mystery bottles, is a bottle of Ranger Multi Medium Matte that also hasn't been used. Now I remember, it was while watching Jennifer McGuire's "best of 2016" video that I ordered it. I'm sure it was very, very late at night when I did it. That's the only time there's any peace and quiet at my house. I remember now, I bought the Multi Medium because that's how she glues her sequins down. I've still been using the tiny glue dots to stick them down. (Using the tweezers recommended by Jennifer McGuire. ) Despite what it sounds like, I rarely run out and buy things willy nilly. Those were the first Jennifer McGuire videos I'd ever watched. I might have gotten a tad bit carried away.

Thanks from me too. I did exactly the same thing and then forgot what I was supposed to use the Medium for! I did put the fine tip on but forgot what it was for. Thanks!!
Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #1128
Stazon Splitcoast

I just love SCS. It's so good to know I'm not alone doing things like this.
maryp likes this post.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:39 AM   #1129
Glitter Guru

Quote:

After years of following this thread, I actually have a tip to add to it. Although, knowing me, it's probably something everyone else has been doing forever, and it just occured to me. lol

I hate to mail plain envelopes, but somehow never get around to doing the envelope at the same time I'm making the card. Recently, I was in a hurry to get to the post office to mail some cards and didn't have time to go figuring out which stamp(s) use, getting them out, cleaning them when I was done, etc. My Big Shot always sits out, so it's quick and handy. I'd just finished organizing my embossing folders the night before. I grabbed some envelopes and embossed them. Quick, super easy and I get to make use of all those EF's that usually sit unused because I tend to use the same two or three, despite having over 100 of them at last count.

Decided to put pictures rather than trying to explain.
Thanks for the photos and the tip. I have several under used frame folders. Now I wish I had one more - a frame folder with a Christmas theme!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

maryp, Biko8666 and grateful2bsaved like this post.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #1130
Stazon Splitcoast

I used this one. I bought this EF years ago, and I think it was on sale for only a couple dollars at the time I bought it. This is the first time I've ever used it. I think I bought it because I saw a cute card that used it with a Christmas tree in the center.
Christmas Embossing Folders ORNAMENT STAR SNOWFLAKE 1215-65 DARICE Holidays | eBay

There was one on Amazon, but it cost over $8.
Attached Thumbnails
img_4546.jpg  
fl_beachbum, Biko8666 and caterinafmig like this post.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #1131
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdasView Post
Thanks for the photos and the tip. I have several under used frame folders. Now I wish I had one more - a frame folder with a Christmas theme!
I bet a star embossing folder would work. I think a strip of stars would look festive enough.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #1132
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I used this one. I bought this EF years ago, and I think it was on sale for only a couple dollars at the time I bought it. This is the first time I've ever used it. I think I bought it because I saw a cute card that used it with a Christmas tree in the center.
Christmas Embossing Folders ORNAMENT STAR SNOWFLAKE 1215-65 DARICE Holidays | eBay

There was one on Amazon, but it cost over $8.
By doing this are you debossing the back side of the envelope or are you doing something so it only embosses the front side? If only the front side, how are you doing that? Thanks, Mary
Old 12-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #1133
Stazon Splitcoast

You can also create an embossing folder out of your dies too ... (envies will never be the same, will they? lol)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #1134
Stazon Splitcoast

Mary, the back of the envelope gets debossed too, but I don't mind. My deciding factor is "does it look better than a plain envelope?".
maryp, fl_beachbum, Circe and 2 others like this post.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #1135
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
You can also create an embossing folder out of your dies too ... (envies will never be the same, will they? lol)
LOL

BTW, in the middle of the night, while I'm laying in bed, out of nowhere I thought, "OMG, what if people do this and their envelopes/cards get messed up?! Just because MINE made it though okay ..." My conversation with myself went on a bit longer than that, but you get the gist. I should have made sure I put a disclaimer in that post.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:15 AM   #1136
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh dear! I know about those do-we-really-need-think-about-this-now?! thoughts in the middle of the night, but Pam, I think you're safe with this one. Somewhere, sometime ago I remember watching some news segment or something on the amount of mail that gets processed and the machinery to do it. It's going to get pressed, but it has some give, so it should be fine.
maryp and shirlb19 like this post.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 AM   #1137
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Mary, the back of the envelope gets debossed too, but I don't mind. My deciding factor is "does it look better than a plain envelope?".
Thanks for the clarification. I have no issue with the back being debossed ... just thought maybe I'd missed a trick to emboss just the front of the envelope. I've been embossing the flaps for some time. No one has ever said there was an issue with those cards making it through the mail. So would think embossing the front should go through fine. Thanks for the photos you have posted! I like how QUICK and EASY this idea is to make the envelopes special.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #1138
Proud Fan Club Member

I'll need to read through this thread later but what pops into my head for "outsmarting" my postal lady for a rhinestone on my card is I turn the card outside-in and then I have a flat side next to the envelope!

OR, sometimes when I have taken a minute to think I will emboss a 1/4 sheet of cardstock and add that over the front of the card so that rhinestone can't be felt through the envelope.

When I make a card that I think is fabulous and I want all the postal employees to see it then I put it in a clear envelope which does require the extra postage but I figure it is worth the price because maybe it made someone along the way smile...
maryp, LMstamps, Biko8666 and 4 others like this post.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:00 AM   #1139
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by FayeMakesCardsView Post
I'll need to read through this thread later but what pops into my head for "outsmarting" my postal lady for a rhinestone on my card is I turn the card outside-in and then I have a flat side next to the envelope!

OR, sometimes when I have taken a minute to think I will emboss a 1/4 sheet of cardstock and add that over the front of the card so that rhinestone can't be felt through the envelope.

When I make a card that I think is fabulous and I want all the postal employees to see it then I put it in a clear envelope which does require the extra postage but I figure it is worth the price because maybe it made someone along the way smile...
This hint is probably found somewhere in this thread but I will mention it anyway. If I use small dewdrops or jewels I will cut a piece from a used padded envelope and place it over the card to protect the card and the envelope when it goes through the machines at the post office.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 01-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #1140
Stazon Splitcoast

OMG, it seems like time flies by in the blink of an eye! I was clearing out my Subscriptions (I like to keep them to 20 or less so they all show on one page.). I noticed the last post on this thread was 2 years ago. I swear it seems like only weeks ago that I posted something on here, not YEARS. I think it's time for me to re-read it. I'm positive I've forgotten some great tips by now.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #1141
Mad Swapper

So glad you bumped this up. Maybe rereading it will help me find my mojo!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
grateful2bsaved, caterinafmig and smhtwin like this post.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #1142
Inking Addict

What a great topic - glad you revived it. I'm going to start at the beginning, but will have to take it in small chunks so I don't overwhelm myself with too many great tips at once!
grateful2bsaved and caterinafmig like this post.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #1143
Stazon Splitcoast

Waaaay back I actually printed it all out. I've not idea where that stack of papers went, of course. That was just because I got so excited about some of the tips I read. LOL

Wow, I just looked and this thread was started almost 15 years ago!
caterinafmig likes this post.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #1144
Stampin' Fool

Yep, like a trip down stamping memory lane: Carol Duvall, Suze Weinberg, eyelets, Coluzzle. . . . .
Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #1145
Kookie Creator

Bumping so I can enjoy rereading all these fabulous tips!

Old 01-23-2020, 07:22 AM   #1146
Proud Fan Club Member

Yesterday I had a family here that comes out to make cards with me...the 15-year old wanted some navy blue brads, which I didn't have...I remembered I had recently read on this thread about heating the brad and dipping it in embossing powder!

She did that and it worked, except we used a sparkly powder...it stuck but wanted to come off so I put Crystal Effects on it in hopes that would help.

It seemed to stay long enough to be considered good...the recipient is 97-years old so neither of us thinks it matters if it comes off in the mail.

Will try the technique again.

I too am enjoying reading this thread from the start!  I wonder if any of those early people are still making cards or if they have moved on in life to a different craft.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:59 PM   #1147
Stazon Splitcoast

Great tip!!! I have a feeling I'll be playing with brads in the near future. hahahaha
Old 01-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #1148
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by FayeMakesCardsView Post
Yesterday I had a family here that comes out to make cards with me...the 15-year old wanted some navy blue brads, which I didn't have...I remembered I had recently read on this thread about heating the brad and dipping it in embossing powder!

She did that and it worked, except we used a sparkly powder...it stuck but wanted to come off so I put Crystal Effects on it in hopes that would help.

It seemed to stay long enough to be considered good...the recipient is 97-years old so neither of us thinks it matters if it comes off in the mail.

Will try the technique again.

I too am enjoying reading this thread from the start!  I wonder if any of those early people are still making cards or if they have moved on in life to a different craft.

I can’t imagine this hasn’t been posted, but alcohol inks color metal (or anything non-porous really well. Tim Holtz demo’ed this in a video using little ring frames that he put in a jar and swished around in alcohol ink. But here’s a short video not by him showing three ways. Of course you’d need alcohol ink. (When using alcohol inks, a little fan is set to my side that blows fumes away from me.)

grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #1149
Glitter Guru

Or here’s Barb at Joggles applying alcohol ink to a domino, another non-porous surface. Fast forward to 8:10. 
grateful2bsaved likes this post.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #1150
Pearl-ExPert

I got this tip from Jen Evers at Koala T Crafts.  She uses Mod Podge matte in a small applicator bottle, and just adds a tiny bit of water to thin it up.  It makes a great glue for cards etc., and because it is matte, it doesn't shine like the other glues if it squeezes out the edge of the paper.  Just be careful not to add too much water; doesn't take much to make it thinner.
I used it tonight on a card, after I got disgusted trying to use a glue squeeze- it pen.  Went back to my tiny bottle of mod podge glue.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #1151
Matboard Maniac

Default Envelopes

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymintView Post
Thanks for the clarification. I have no issue with the back being debossed ... just thought maybe I'd missed a trick to emboss just the front of the envelope. I've been embossing the flaps for some time. No one has ever said there was an issue with those cards making it through the mail. So would think embossing the front should go through fine. Thanks for the photos you have posted! I like how QUICK and EASY this idea is to make the envelopes special.
I like to get out my old roller stamps (rollagraph) with handle, and a stack of envelopes and roll a design across the flap, and down an inch or 2 on the front right side.
I also have a stamp that says " only ordinary women have plain envelopes".
jah636 and smhtwin like this post.