Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #921
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
Another heat embossing tip. I bought one of those disposable aluminum roast pans. About 8 1/2 x 11 with 4 inch sides. I just lay my card or whatever in the bottom and heat away. The heat reflects from the bottom up as well as top down so it takes a bit less time, is less messy & I don't burn myself.
This is one I haven't seen before. I love this idea!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #922
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMRobergeView Post
Use a clipboard to hold your project when heat embossing. The clip holds your project tight, the gun doesn’t blow everything else around, and you won’t burn your fingers.
I covered my clipboard with aluminum foil so it helps to spread and hold the heat. I think it makes it work faster but that just may be my mind playing tricks on me.

Smile. no one knows what you're really thinking!
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #923
Cardstock Collector

I am new to the stamping world and can't tell you how much I enjoyed finding all these tips! My crafting space is a very small corner of the basement and I am sooo unorganized - when I go down there everything I had in mind just seems to disappear, it's such a mess. I am going to try and get organized using alot of these tips. I am a mom with 2 grown daughters and now find myself raising a 9-month old boy (my dh's grandson we have legal custody of). As you can imagine, not much time for my new hobby. I don't have any tips to add now but hopefully I will in the future. Thanks for all the information! Also glad to find the tips for newbies site. Hope to get to know you all!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #924
Glitter Queen

Post Embellishment idea

Hi Everyone,

This is more of a scrapbooking tip, but this past weekend, I used one of those musical cards on a scrapbook layout for my pet book. It plays "Who Let the Dogs Out" - and the photos that go with it are the puppies running all over my house with my slippers. It's quite an expensive element for one layout, but I was able to customize it to match the page with papers and when it opens (and plays the music of course), I included photos inside the card as well. It turned out really cute.

Not something you could afford to do a lot of, but something a little extra special for those special events pages. Wouldn't those musical cards be neat in a wedding album...or a best friends album...endless possibilities!
Additionally, cardmakers...re do your OWN design on the card for whatever occasion! I just like incorporating the music - I think it's fun!
~Charlotte
Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #925
Embossing Fanatic

Cool expanding the musical card idea

My daughter and I have incorporated the musical cards and the recordable ones into some awesome personalized cards. If you hold them up to the speaker on your TV you can get some awesome "sound bites" recorded. We have incorporated a few bars of the recipients favorite song off of CD's as well. You then just cover the card with your own designs and you have something really unexpected!!! Its about the same price as buying the little recorder unit you can find in the craft store but not as bulky. Too much fun!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #926
Glitter Guru

BTT hoping for more great ideas!

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #927
Hardware Hotshot

My favorite paper crafting tip is to add clear thread to the bobbin of your sewing machine...that way you can switch colors without changing the bobbin
I'm an {ippity} chick...want some??
Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #928
Stampin' Fool

?? Never heard of clear thread. Do you get it at a regular fabric store like Joann's?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #929
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMRobergeView Post
Use a clipboard to hold your project when heat embossing. The clip holds your project tight, the gun doesn’t blow everything else around, and you won’t burn your fingers.
I never thought to do this, great tip. I usually use a clothes pin to hold my images while I am embossing them.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #930
Gabfest Goddess

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

I just learned this tip from a friend recently. I usually use my stampin' scrub to clean my stamps, but it gets inky very quickly splattering ink all over the area and not really getting my stamps very clean. It dries out quickly and is hard to clean. SO, here is the tip! Go to WalMart and buy a big pkg of the cheapo washcloths. Mine are blue. I think they were in the kitchen towel aisle. Wet one with plain old water and use it all day long. It is easier to wash out and when it gets really icky, either throw it away or into the washing machine. It works great for me.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #931
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by imastampinView Post
I just learned this tip from a friend recently. I usually use my stampin' scrub to clean my stamps, but it gets inky very quickly splattering ink all over the area and not really getting my stamps very clean. It dries out quickly and is hard to clean. SO, here is the tip! Go to WalMart and buy a big pkg of the cheapo washcloths. Mine are blue. I think they were in the kitchen towel aisle. Wet one with plain old water and use it all day long. It is easier to wash out and when it gets really icky, either throw it away or into the washing machine. It works great for me.
I get as much ink off as possible by stamping off, then I use a wet wipe and finally I use the stampin' scrub (mainly for the conditioning of the stamps). Using the wet wipe first keeps my stampin' scrub from getting inky.
Tammy
Old 04-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #932
Insane Embellisher

I use a baby wipe when I use pigment ink instead of the scrubber so it doesn't get all gunky as fast.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #933
Matboard Maniac

GREAT ideas for using the washcloths!! I HATE that my scrub pad gets ALL inky as well, and using the baby wipes first and/or washcloths should solve that problem...yea!!! Thanks for another great TIP!! Have a super weekend ALL..take care!!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #934
Matboard Maniac

I've never heard (or seen) of CLEAR thread either?? Would LOVE to know where to purchase it?? THANKS so much!!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #935
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
I've never heard (or seen) of CLEAR thread either?? Would LOVE to know where to purchase it?? THANKS so much!!
WalMart carries it and you should also be able to find it at Joann's. Or a quilting store.

hth-
GramT likes this post.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #936
Pearl-ExPert

I've been using a lot of colored card bases, and always had to cut CS to go inside in order to write my message. I usually make A2 cards, and today I came up with the idea of using unlined 3 1/2 X 5 index cards. I had a stash of them, put adhesive on one side, stick inside card - works great!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #937
Matboard Maniac

I love the new cling stamps that Stampin Up is selling now, and my demonstrator (thanks Nancy) gave me this tip. After you have punched out your stamps, don't throw what is left over. Instead, peel off the back of it and stick it to the inside of the case. Now put your image on the stamp and insert them back in the orignial holes. Wow, no more loose stamps to lose or have to pick up when you open the case. Plus if you have an empty hole you will know you are missing one.

And the other tip was how to make cling stamps out of vinyl very cheaply. Works like a charm.

sam
Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #938
Matboard Maniac

I love the new cling stamps that stampin up sells now. This tip came from my demon (thanks Nancy) After you punch out the stamps, don't throw what they were in away. Instead, peel off the back of it and stick it to the inside of the box. Now put the images on the cling stamps and put back in the holes. Now no more loose stamps to fall out when you open the box and if you are packing up you will realize right away if a stamp is missing because there will be a hole there.

Also, love the tip about how to make cling stamps out of vinyl. Works like a charm. Found that idea from someone here on SC.

sam
Old 09-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #939
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I've been using a lot of colored card bases, and always had to cut CS to go inside in order to write my message. I usually make A2 cards, and today I came up with the idea of using unlined 3 1/2 X 5 index cards. I had a stash of them, put adhesive on one side, stick inside card - works great!
This is a great idea; and if you make larger cards, don't forget the 4x6 cards. It can be tricky to find that size w/o lines, but I've found them at Office Max. Thanks for sharing this!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #940
Rubber Obsessor

When I want a dark color in this situation, I make it my card front and it measures 5 1/2 x 4 1/4. Then I cut 1/8" off both length and width (instead of 4 1/4 x 8 1/2 its 4 1/8 x 8 3/8~fold in half) my white base and attach to the 'front'.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #941
Kookie Creator

Marking this for future reading....need all the tips I can get!

Thanks so much for sharing your tips!

Tammy
Old 09-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #942
Mad Swapper

Subbing!

[B][COLOR="Purple"]Part-time RN and Stampin' Up hobbyist.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #943
Stazon Splitcoast

wow! this thread and all the tips ... you people rock!
another subber here.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #944
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I just thought of a favorite tip last night while I was stamping my sister's birthday card:

Always stamp in jeans or sweats! I was wearing a pair of Bill Blass white denim with blue flower capris. I was using a pink marker to color a flower stamp from looks like spring. Well, I don't know what happened, but my hands slipped, and I dropped it. Pink ink on my white pants. Aaaggghhh....

I put them in the sink, and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed. Two of my fingers are scrubbed raw. I got most of it out. The rest came out in the wash, but I've learned my lesson.

Always wear jeans or sweats. (If I do that, I probably won't drop anything anyway.)
I put an apron in my scraproom because I'm very messy.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #945
Rubber Obsessor

I have a great stash of cardboard from granola bar boxes, pizza boxes ect. Great for stamping on and embossing as well as using for the cuttlebug sandwiches. When it gets groady, just pitch it in the trash. There is always more.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #946
Stampin' Fool

lol I can't believe how long this thread has gotten. Awesome tips ladies. :P
Old 10-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #947
Cardstock Collector

These are all such great tips! Thanks!!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #948
Matboard Maniac

bump
Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #949
Stampin' Fool

I'm in the process of unmounting my stamps. I find that putting them in the freezer overnight makes it so much easier. Went away on vacation for 5 days and had stamps in the freezer. When I came back the rubber came off so easily on most of the stamps. I find the stamps with the black rubber is the hardest to unmount for some reason. The freezer thing really works. Might take longer to unmount your stamps if you leave them in the freezer for a couple of days but it is so much easier, it's worth the extra time.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Ready..Set..Craft likes this post.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #950
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrampingramView Post
When I want a dark color in this situation, I make it my card front and it measures 5 1/2 x 4 1/4. Then I cut 1/8" off both length and width (instead of 4 1/4 x 8 1/2 its 4 1/8 x 8 3/8~fold in half) my white base and attach to the 'front'.
I do the same. GP cardstock works great as a base. Also the cuttlebug embossing folders then fit the colored cardstock front perfectly.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #951
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollybearView Post
If your clear stamps have yellowed, lay them out in the sun for several days and they will turn clear again and look brand new!
I'd be cautious about this. Most manufacturers advise that you store the stamps out of direct sunlight, so I'd be worried about just doing more damage.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #952
Rubber Obsessor

Default Sharing a couple of ideas I haven't seen here

Thanks for sharing your GREAT ideas everyone!! I'd like to add a couple I haven't read on this post yet.
  • I bought a small cookie sheet just for embossing and I use a strong metal magnet to hold the paper in place.
  • I made piercing templates using the Eyelet Border punch from SU. I punched cardstock strips and arranged them into rectangles of different sizes. Love the laminating idea—haven't tried that...yet!!
  • I use the slot in the cover of my little yellow Cutterbee scissors as a distressing tool. I slide the paper into the slot and then run the cover along the edge of the paper.
  • I use Post-It® Notes to give length to cardstock pieces too small to cut in my paper trimmer.
  • I save the backing from Stampin' Dimensionals sheets for use when I have to (UGH!!) trim a piece of cardstock I've already applied adhesive to. I place the backing on the adhesive side of the cardstock so it doesn't stick to the paper trimmer's plastic guide.
Thanks again and keep 'em coming!!

Patti
alik13 likes this post.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #953
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by writer's stampView Post
Thanks for sharing your GREAT ideas everyone!! I'd like to add a couple I haven't read on this post yet.
  • I bought a small cookie sheet just for embossing and I use a strong metal magnet to hold the paper in place.
  • I made piercing templates using the Eyelet Border punch from SU. I punched cardstock strips and arranged them into rectangles of different sizes. Love the laminating idea—haven't tried that...yet!!
  • I use the slot in the cover of my little yellow Cutterbee scissors as a distressing tool. I slide the paper into the slot and then run the cover along the edge of the paper.
  • I use Post-It® Notes to give length to cardstock pieces too small to cut in my paper trimmer.
  • I save the backing from Stampin' Dimensionals sheets for use when I have to (UGH!!) trim a piece of cardstock I've already applied adhesive to. I place the backing on the adhesive side of the cardstock so it doesn't stick to the paper trimmer's plastic guide.
Thanks again and keep 'em coming!!

Patti
Great ideas!
TFS
Old 10-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #954
Pearl-ExPert

Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by LorraineBKView Post
I'm in the process of unmounting my stamps. I find that putting them in the freezer overnight makes it so much easier. Went away on vacation for 5 days and had stamps in the freezer. When I came back the rubber came off so easily on most of the stamps. I find the stamps with the black rubber is the hardest to unmount for some reason. The freezer thing really works. Might take longer to unmount your stamps if you leave them in the freezer for a couple of days but it is so much easier, it's worth the extra time.
I would be cautious of this as well. I don't know what freezing the rubber would do to the rubber itself, in the long run. Maybe if you conditioned the rubber after freezing it would keep them from drying out.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #955
Stazon Splitcoast

Love, love, love the idea of Post-Its as an extender when cutting! Awesome!

I'm pretty OCD when it comes to square corners and use Post-Its for that.

(I think Post-Its are one of the best things in a stampers world ~ there are so many ways you can use them, am I right?)
Old 11-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #956
Matboard Maniac

Default How to protect your fingers from stabbing

If your X-acto knives and awls (aka pokey things), don't come with protective caps, you can "stab" the ends of them in plastic/rubber corks that are used in wine bottles. Don't use real corks because they crumble away after prolonged "stabbing" of your tools. I have used the same ones for a couple of years and have kept their tight grip. I have included an attachment of what I'm talking about.

Speaking of stabbing, there is a wonderful lady named Haroldine Wingfield who has her own stamping store in my area. She sells surgical scalpels and blades in place of X-acto knives. She did a demo for her customers showing how much sharper and precise the cutting can be. I bought one and just love it. It can cut intricate details around stamped images in a dream. Of course, my scalpel has it's own plastic cork too.

C
Attached Thumbnails
plastic-corks.jpg  

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #957
Matboard Maniac

Smile Don't get poked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelineeBeenieView Post
If your X-acto knives and awls (aka pokey things), don't come with protective caps, you can "stab" the ends of them in plastic/rubber corks that are used in wine bottles. Don't use real corks because they crumble away after prolonged "stabbing" of your tools. I have used the same ones for a couple of years and have kept their tight grip. I have included an attachment of what I'm talking about.

Speaking of stabbing, there is a wonderful lady named Haroldine Wingfield who has her own stamping store in my area. She sells surgical scalpels and blades in place of X-acto knives. She did a demo for her customers showing how much sharper and precise the cutting can be. I bought one and just love it. It can cut intricate details around stamped images in a dream. Of course, my scalpel has it's own plastic cork too.

C
I sell dental instruments at work, and we have plastic tubes that we put sharp instruments in to ship them. so I use one with a piece of wadded paper at the bottom, to store the piercing tool face down into the tube. the open end has a cap.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #958
Compulsive Stamper

for cleaning my stamps I use a plastic pencil case , put a sponge in each side make one really wet ( kind of drippy) and the other one just wet, scub my stamps on them, when they get full of ink clean them, been using the same sponges for a couple of years.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #959

I can't take credit for this tip but it is one of my favorites. When you get the new SU clear mount stamp sets that are unmounted and in the new plastic cases, don't throw out the negative part of the rubber once you pull the stamp out and adhere the label. I put the negative side or left over rubber on the inside of the case and it holds all the stamps in place so they don't fall to the bottom. It's like putting the pieces back in a puzzle. Now I do it with all my sets.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #960
Kookie Creator

Gosh, it has been a couple of hours and I have finally finished reading this topic.

1) I use the green bone folder (comes in a package of two from Michaels) and I have never gotten the shiny marks.
2) I use a metal baby spoon as plastic has too much static for glitter and/or embossing powder.
3) For some reason I like to hold my project over my lap to emboss (I have warped and ruined cutting mats on my desk) and I picked up a silicone cookie sheet...no heat transferred to my leg! I just picked up a heat gun stand and I love it...leaves my hands free!

Cathy