Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #841
Inking Addict

Location: I live in United Arab Emirates because of my husbands job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
Sheesh! I've been stamping for 20 years.....you would think I would have figured that one out by now. This is the BEST tip! TFS!!
I agree! Duh!! Why didn't I think of that??

I just love all the tips! You are all so clever and kind to share!
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #842
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashymkoView Post
Hi there girls,

What a great thread – thank you so much for all of your great ideas, tips & tricks – it is GREATLY appreciated! I don’t know if what I have attached falls into “Favourite Tip” or not, probably more of an organizational thing, but I thought I’d attach it in case it is of use to anyone. When my new SU pads arrived, I was surprised that the actual name was no longer printed on the end. I really liked having the name there, right on the end, so I made up some labels for them. The colours are formatted for my Canon Pixma iP6000D printer, so theymay need to be tweaked.

I just print the document onto an 8½” x 11” label sheet and cut the labels out with my x-acto knife. If you don’t have access to a full sheet label they could be taped on. I don’t know if the Xyron or snail adhesive would hold on a permanent basis, but double sided scotch tape would probably work.
Thank you for the Labels! Love all the other tips too!!! Thank you all for sharing!!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #843
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxeneView Post
*Marry a man (like I did) that let California Closets redo our dining room into a crafting room on our 15th wedding anniversary!!

-- Woo hoo!!!! I need to do that too!!! You go girl!
Happy for you!! Not all of us that lucky!!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #844
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruby-heartedmomView Post
I'm a little slow and frugal--but I finally get there. I figured out some things about paper piercing this week.

Paper Piercing Idea Number 1: As I was searching for piercing templates I saw one website selling plastic needlepoint canvas circles, stars, etc. for piercing. Well, I know how to go to Hobby Lobby and buy that without paying shipping! So I bought a square (which is easier to use than my Mat Pack), a circle, a heart, a triangle, a star, and a cross. However, I couldn't buy just one of each thing--they came in packs of 10. So now I will bless 9 of my stampin' friends with the extras!

Paper Piercing Idea Number 2: I felt really dumb after I figured this out, but here's the story. I've been loving the Ornare piercing templates that I have been seeing at Our Daily Bread. Tonight I realized I could stamp on a piece of scratch paper, secure it in place (temporarily) on the card and use the stamped scratch paper as a piercing template. That's what I did here: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=43468
--used Baroque Motifs as a piercing template. It's a frugal thing! Now that I have figured that out I can think of a million things to do with that idea!

I still want some of the Ornare piercing templates, but now I don't *NEED* them as much as I did earlier this week.
Hi
Can I be your stamping buddy???? No one in this country knows what I'm talking about when I tell them that I need those templates with the holes!!! I have searched and I will have to stay without!! I will just have to "NEED" them for a great while longer!!! Enjoy!! LOL
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #845
Pearl-ExPert

2. Use split peas for "faux brad" embellishments. Glue the flat bottom of the pea in the center of a flower. You can even color them with sharpies. The metallic markers works great to give it a metal look. You can also paint with clear nail polish to make them harder.

What a great idea. I just tried it. LOVE IT. Thanks for sharing!
StephanieJager, floridaperson and alik13 like this post.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #846
Inking Addict

A fun free embellishment that I love using as texture much like the dry wall seam tape are....the textured bags that oranges come in. I keep them with my scrap stuff and make bows and other embellishments using them in strips or larger.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #847
Mad Swapper

We just replaced the screen on our door and my husband gave me the left over and said "I think you could do something on a card with this..." Isn't he clever?!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:39 AM   #848
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
We just replaced the screen on our door and my husband gave me the left over and said "I think you could do something on a card with this..." Isn't he clever?!

Cute
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #849
Inking Addict

I have a tall 13 gallon trash can in my studio, that I hold my brayer over and mist with water. The ink runs off into the trash (of course lined) and I roll it dry on a paper towel.
Saves on cleaning up with babywipes.

I am the QUEEN of scotch tape! For example - ribbon that wraps around the back of a piece of CS - I just tape it down to hold it in place. Saves on the double sided tape.

I love my pegboard - I have my stamps hanging on pegboard - makes see the index easy.

GREAT THREAD!
Old 05-16-2009, 02:45 AM   #850
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by setes4View Post
A fun free embellishment that I love using as texture much like the dry wall seam tape are....the textured bags that oranges come in. I keep them with my scrap stuff and make bows and other embellishments using them in strips or larger.
That's novel!
OTBPond we get a bathing 'scrunchee' that is made of yards and yards of that netting, now they comes in lots of colors gathered in the middle with cord, if you unravel them they are really very long. what a great tip you shared! They cost about 0.20 cents!

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 AM   #851
Inking Addict

Subscribing - I'm fairly new, I need all the tips I can get!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #852
Rubber Obsessor

Here's a tip I hope all can use. I am really bad about duplicating things I already have. So, I started making lists and taking them with me when I shop. I have a list of all the CB dies and folders in alphabetical order. I headed the listings as Embossing, Cutting, Cutting & Embossing and the Sizzix plates. I also did a list of all the unmounted stamp sets. This one is listed by manufacturer and style name. Another list is for the Crackle paint colors. Another tip: You can use your CB or any of the other embossing/cutting machines for those rub-ons that just won't "rub-on" all the way, no matter what tool you use. I've run a number of these through the CB with great results. You can even emboss as you apply the rub-on or not. If you don't want to emboss, just lay the embossing folder, unopened, on top of the design.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #853
Matboard Maniac

This is not the same kind of tip, but I recently discovered some nice small flowers at Michael's store in the bridal section - a clear tub with a metal top and metal swing up handle, in diff. colors - it's called "bridal or brides confetti" and they look great on cards, you can also color the white and ivory ones with an ink pad, etc. only $4.99 before coupon, and there is over 200 in a tub.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #854
Compulsive Stamper

Wow, what a great idea! I get so frustrated with rub-ons that, well, won't rub!! Thanks for the great tip.
Michele
Quote:

Originally Posted by Millie SingerView Post
Here's a tip I hope all can use. I am really bad about duplicating things I already have. So, I started making lists and taking them with me when I shop. I have a list of all the CB dies and folders in alphabetical order. I headed the listings as Embossing, Cutting, Cutting & Embossing and the Sizzix plates. I also did a list of all the unmounted stamp sets. This one is listed by manufacturer and style name. Another list is for the Crackle paint colors. Another tip: You can use your CB or any of the other embossing/cutting machines for those rub-ons that just won't "rub-on" all the way, no matter what tool you use. I've run a number of these through the CB with great results. You can even emboss as you apply the rub-on or not. If you don't want to emboss, just lay the embossing folder, unopened, on top of the design.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #855
Rubber Obsessor

In addition to creating images of each stamp/stamp set, I have created a computer spreadsheet that lists various themes (flowers, birthday, trees, vintage) and I put the name of the particular stamp set under the various themes in which it qualifies. A number of sets have images/sentiments that can be used for entirely different occasions. When I need to find something in a particular category, I'll look at the spreadsheet first to get the list of stamps and then I'll look at the images.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #856
Mad Swapper

I love all these tips and finally have one that might help someone else!

I used to accidentally use the "cool gray #1" copic marker all the time when I meant to pick up the blending pen..I have all mine stored in a drawer, and the end colors look very similar. I finally taped three strips of ribbon around the barrel of the copic blender marker--now I always know which one to grab!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #857
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millie SingerView Post
Another tip: You can use your CB or any of the other embossing/cutting machines for those rub-ons that just won't "rub-on" all the way, no matter what tool you use. I've run a number of these through the CB with great results. You can even emboss as you apply the rub-on or not. If you don't want to emboss, just lay the embossing folder, unopened, on top of the design.
I'm confused (again) but don't understand what you wrote about using the Cuttlebug for rub-ons that just won't rub on?? Could you please explain or let me know where the thread/post/topic was posted to this reply from you?

THANKS!!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #858
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
This is not the same kind of tip, but I recently discovered some nice small flowers at Michael's store in the bridal section - a clear tub with a metal top and metal swing up handle, in diff. colors - it's called "bridal or brides confetti" and they look great on cards, you can also color the white and ivory ones with an ink pad, etc. only $4.99 before coupon, and there is over 200 in a tub.
Sounds like a GREAT deal to me...if ONLY we had a Michael's Store near us!!

Maybe I'll just have to take a vac. day and drive to Michael's...hahahaha Perfect reason for a vacation to me!!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #859
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow these were excellent tips. I use my bath salts jars when empty ( use one every month ) and store flowers in them from the dollar store by color. The jars all match and have pretty purple lids.
I put a curtain rod across my window in my craft room and use badge holders to store ribbons. I makes a wonderful privacy curtain. ( This window does not get a lot of sun or it might be bad for the ribbons. ) I can also hang embellisments on it. Shower curtain hooks will hold a lot of embellisment bags and you can see immediately what you have.
I have trouble remembering what I have and what I don't have. <G>
Old 05-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #860
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnneyView Post
I'm confused (again) but don't understand what you wrote about using the Cuttlebug for rub-ons that just won't rub on?? Could you please explain or let me know where the thread/post/topic was posted to this reply from you?

THANKS!!
I don't know what thread/topic this was in. I'm new at all this and can't find my way around the threads that well. What I ws trying to say is that like others, I have a hard time getting rub-ons to completely "rub-on". I've tried all the sticks, and other tools and they would always leave some small section not stuck. I decided to try them with the CB and sure enough I got perfect results. Use plate B on top of the white one, lay your cardstock/paper on top of plate B, put the rub-on face down onto cs/paper with the cellophane backing still on, place the embossing folder, unopened, on top of rub-on, place the second B plate on top and run it through the CB. The reason you want the embossing folder on top of the rub-on is for the height, so that you have the tension you need to make the rub-on stick. If you have any more questons, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Hope this is clearer to you now.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #861
Polyshrink Goddess

The tips are really great! Keep it up. I'm stamping a book full of the stamps I have which I will carry with me to the store. I tend to buy two of some things.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #862
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Heaven - Buried under a mountain of paper scraps and stamps!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegmommyView Post
Love happyheart's idea for storing Embossing Powder...now to find a little dipper spoon...
I know this is long over due, but just wanted to respond. You can use the little plastic spoon-straws (like at 7-11 for a Slirpee) and cut off most of the straw part. It is a perfect size for embossing powder and it will fit perfectly in your container.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #863
Rubber Obsessor

Wow what great tips! Still trying to read thru them tho...
Old 07-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #864
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Stuck for an idea, and browsing doesn't help?...Ever feel like you just wish you had a magic wand so you could wish up an idea?! Me too. When that happens I like to follow the great advice of Julie from Amuse Stamps: Seek inspiration outside of cards, instead of the card galleries look in the world around you. Personally, I find inspiration at:

--art galleries
--poster.com (I like to search by primary color - this helps me find something in the colors I want to use)
--marthastewart.com (especially like the "gift wrapping ideas" section)
--my favorite stamp; sometimes I'll just stamp it on white paper and carry it around with me looking at it from time to time to see how many different spins I can come up with in my mind....and trying to make the sentiment go with the spin. After a few mental bouts with it - I'll often sit down at my craft table very excited and with a plan!

Enjoy!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #865
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by girlgeek101View Post
Stuck for an idea, and browsing doesn't help?...Ever feel like you just wish you had a magic wand so you could wish up an idea?! Me too. When that happens I like to follow the great advice of Julie from Amuse Stamps: Seek inspiration outside of cards, instead of the card galleries look in the world around you. Personally, I find inspiration at:

--art galleries
--poster.com (I like to search by primary color - this helps me find something in the colors I want to use)
--marthastewart.com (especially like the "gift wrapping ideas" section)
--my favorite stamp; sometimes I'll just stamp it on white paper and carry it around with me looking at it from time to time to see how many different spins I can come up with in my mind....and trying to make the sentiment go with the spin. After a few mental bouts with it - I'll often sit down at my craft table very excited and with a plan!

Enjoy!
Here's another place to look for inspiration: clothing stores and catalogs. I am inspired by clothing mostly in terms of color combinations and patterns.

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Old 07-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #866
Compulsive Stamper

An economical way to use clear stamps is use a clear box instead of an acrylic block. I have used empty cassette boxes, empty plastic punch boxes, and my favorite is a box my pushpins came in.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #867
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I saw this on someones YouTube craft room video and I ran right out to duplicate:

Buy one of those hanging plastic shoe things that you hook onto the back of a door. Fill it with your punches and now you have easy, neat, and clear access to all of your punches!
Ready..Set..Craft likes this post.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:38 AM   #868
Rubber Obsessor

Such great ideas. This is such an inspiring thread. Thanks everyone.

Smile. no one knows what you're really thinking!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #869
Matboard Maniac

Subbing to find. GREAT thread!

Fan Club Member
Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #870
Embossing Fanatic

Thumbs up

Wow, what a gold mine!

Thank you everyone for sharing.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #871
Cardstock Collector

I have two favorites.

1. I take the "empty" printer ink cartridge, hit with a hammer or pry it open and put the pad that has leftover ink in a multiple compartment pill box, label it with the color and use that ink for the small stamp accents. Warning, be sure and wear gloves when you do this.

2. Remember that gold foil from the 90"s that you had to iron on. Well no more. I run my image through my Xyron print side down so the sticky is on the image front. The place the foil shiny side up on top and bray with my finger alot. Rip off and VOILA gold foil embellishment.

I have more info on this on my Blog.

Last edited by papasue; 08-06-2009 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: err in instruction
Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #872
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by papasueView Post
I have two favorites.

1. I take the "empty" printer ink cartridge, hit with a hammer or pry it open and put the pad that has leftover ink in a multiple compartment pill box, label it with the color and use that ink for the small stamp accents. Warning, be sure and wear gloves when you do this.

2. Remember that gold foil from the 90"s that you had to iron on. Well no more. I run my image through my Xyron print side down so the sticky is on the image front. The place the foil shiny side up on top and bray with my finger alot. Rip off and VOILA gold foil embellishment.

I have more info on this on my Blog.

Good tips.
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #873
Matboard Maniac

Remember that gold foil from the 90"s that you had to iron on. Well no more. I run my image through my Xyron print side down so the sticky is on the image front. The place the foil shiny side up on top and bray with my finger alot. Rip off and VOILA gold foil embellishment.

WHAT A COOL IDEA!! I gotta try this!!! I assume that when you say your "image", it
would be a cut-out shape, etc?? and you didn't mean a stamped image...correct?

Thanks for sharing...love this section the BEST of SCS.....very helpful info!!!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #874
Rubber Obsessor

I use SU clam shells to store small pieces of cardstock, I have a clam shell for each colour and put punched out dots for each colour on the outside of the clam shell so I can easily pick up which colour I need. I also use a large drawer style of storage units for my larger pieces with the same system, since I've started this I am more inclined to use up my pieces of left over cardstock.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #875
Polyshrink Goddess

What is a stampin up clamshell?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #876
Stazon Splitcoast

the container their stamps come in
Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #877
Polyshrink Goddess

Default clamshells

Lordy, if I took the stamps out I'd never find them all. <G>
Old 12-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #878
Stazon Splitcoast

i'm the same way
Old 12-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #879
Polyshrink Goddess

stampin up cases

I tried a system of stamping on notebook sheets and then telling where the stamps were stored. Have lost track again. <G?>
Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #880
Polyshrink Goddess

Default acrylic frames

I keep a lot of the acrylic stamps on the sheets designed for that but I have some that keep falling off. Anyone know how to make them restick better. It's mostly the dollar ones ( little ) I am having trouble with.