Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:12 AM   #761
Rubber Obsessor

I'm so excited! I just figured out how to extend the life of my sanding block!

I'm working on this wooden block project and part of it is to sand down the edges of the blocks. I've already gone through 3 sanding blocks from walmart (at about $4 each) after killing the sanding block that I got with my Making Memories Distressing Kit. I'm only about half way through when I thought I would google how to renew a sanding block. Not sure if it was even possible or not, I ran across a site that mentions some big rubber product, 'like a giant eraser', to use to clean sanding belt sandpaper. So, I figured what the heck...what have I got to lose, right? I grabbed a cheap 'ol pink eraser and ran it across my MM sanding block and gave it a whirl on my project. What an idiot! It worked so well that I over sanded my project a bit. I should have just given it a few swipes and checked the progress but instead I kept going like I had been with the worn out sanding block. I can't believe how well it worked! I'm sure you guys don't use sanding blocks all that much but maybe the hubbies do and they could use the trick. Who knows, maybe they will spend the money they save on sanding blocks on crafting supplies instead! LOL Worth a shot, isn't it?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:45 AM   #762
Rubber Obsessor

Default subscribing

what a great thread!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #763
Matboard Maniac

I have a tip for keeping ribbon from fraying on ends on your projects. If someone has already posted it, than you can disregard MINE...haven't had a chance to look through all the tips (yet).

Once you have cut your ribbon (ends) to a nice point, if that's the look you like...use a pocket size cig. lighter and just BRIEFLY!! while lit, run it across the end(s) of your ribbon. Works every time..no more fraying or loose threads...NOTE: IF you hold it over ribbon edge too long, it will melt and "disfigure" ends, but sometimes that's a COOL look also!!

USE CAUTIOUSLY and when there are NO children around...MOST IMPORTANT....be sure!! NOT to leave it setting out on desk, work station, etc.!!! where children and/or pets might get it!!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #764
Insane Embellisher

My tip: Join wish-rak!
I joined wish-rak, which is a sub forum in the RAK group. It has saved me tons of money. You make "wishes" for the images, ribbon, etc., that you want and someone will send it to you. Then you send someone else their wishes. I was also an impulse buyer. If I saw a cute card, I had to have that stamp. I now own stamp sets that I never use. This way, when you receive an image, you will know if you "love" it enough to purchase it for yourself!

If anyone wants any info on wish-rak, let me know. I'm a mentor for the forum. It's great fun!!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #765
Stampin' Fool

Subscribing
Old 12-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #766
Embossing Fanatic

I made my first trip to Daiso today, and I got those binder type things that already have sheet protectors in them to use for my scraps. It is about the size of a half sheet of cardstock and has 40 sheet protectors for $1.50! I got a bigger one (B5, I think) for my white, vanilla, and black scraps since those tend to be bigger. Now I'll have easy access to my scraps and they will be well organized instead of their current jumbled state in a ziploc bag!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNestMomView Post
I ACTUALLY just went into a DAISO store here for the FIRST TIME this week. GOSH, they sure do have a lot of items. AND if you think about it, it makes sense that their bingers are so thin. Here in the US we're rather spoiled with so many rooms and storage (even though we're often complaining about having enough STAMP storage, LOL). They do have SO many great items, at WOW prices. I actually located their company website, and searched for a local store after reading a post. Of all the things, there aren't too many dollar stores here, or ones that are worth going to like I keep reading about from everyone else. THAT & No "Hobby Lobby", NO "AC Moore"... BUT I have DAISO! SO, those who can locate a store, Nina's correct. For storing your Nesties, etc., they have some great ideas/prices, even if you don't want to try a binder.

HEY, I've actually not BEEN to a store mentioned on all these threads! WOW, I feel included now. ~ Barbara
Old 12-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #767
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by eszaboView Post
I made my first trip to Daiso today, and I got those binder type things that already have sheet protectors in them to use for my scraps. It is about the size of a half sheet of cardstock and has 40 sheet protectors for $1.50! I got a bigger one (B5, I think) for my white, vanilla, and black scraps since those tend to be bigger. Now I'll have easy access to my scraps and they will be well organized instead of their current jumbled state in a ziploc bag!
Hmm, I will have to look for some of those next time I'm at Daiso. was the binder itself about half the size of cardstock, or were there 2 slots per protector? I'm thinking those might be nice for some of my larger clear stamp sets.

nina
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #768
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommjView Post
Ooh -- coffee filters for powders?!!

I wish I'd known about this before buying a tray! Even though it was 1/2 off at craft store.... I don't even use my filters anymore. Bummer!

mommj
I love my powder pal; at fist I hated it because of the static cling, They told me to wipe it out with a drier sheet but that didn't help. then I thought of sanding it out with a sanding nail block from the beauty supply store and IT WORKS GREAT! no more static at all, just break the shiny coat on it and the glitter, or embossing powder slide right out.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #769
Matboard Maniac

bump
Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 AM   #770
Polyshrink Goddess

WOW...GREAT STUFF....SUBBING
Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #771
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
Hi all! I just wanted to post the list of all the tips up to this point!
Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to find a link here for the list of tips!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #772
Matboard Maniac

oops, never mind my last post. I figured it out.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #773
Glitter Queen

I just had a great idea. I've been trying to figure out how to watermark my uploaded cards. I didn't want to spend big bucks on photo software just for that. so It just came to me - stamp my created by stamp on a clear envelope in stazon than all I do is slip the card into the envelope & scan viola' watermark!! of course you need a scanner. but if you do good idea eh?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #774
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappybugView Post
I just had a great idea. I've been trying to figure out how to watermark my uploaded cards. I didn't want to spend big bucks on photo software just for that. so It just came to me - stamp my created by stamp on a clear envelope in stazon than all I do is slip the card into the envelope & scan viola' watermark!! of course you need a scanner. but if you do good idea eh?
You can add a watermark with Picassa from google it's a free download; and it organizes all the images in your computer.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #775
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by nondaView Post
What a great idea!!! I love my Coluzzle, but I get "lost" when I move my blade.....Time to get out my Sharpies and mark them. Yeah!

I actually did this a while ago. I was getting so frustrated that I just couldn't take it any more. It is 100% easier and now I use them all the time.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #776
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for all of the great tips!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #777
Kookie Creator

Here is the updated list. I have included ideas from the Newbies thread.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: doc SCS Stampin' tips.doc (260.5 KB, 359 views)
CTXDalene likes this post.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #778
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgrammyView Post

Enjoy!
Greatgrammy...you ROCK! Thanks for your time and effort it is so much appreciated!

"but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind...I press on toward the the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Phil 3:13b-14
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #779
Mad Swapper

Believe it or not, I just found this thread....what a gold mine! You all ROCK!!! Thanks for all of these great tips. Wouldn't these be great to have for first time stampers at a SU party? Just a thought...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #780
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmeryView Post
Believe it or not, I just found this thread....what a gold mine! You all ROCK!!! Thanks for all of these great tips. Wouldn't these be great to have for first time stampers at a SU party? Just a thought...
It would either be great or scare the wits out of them and turn them off stamping forever.

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #781
Mad Swapper

I finally read the doc file this weekend and would like to thank two stampers:

The stamper that suggested using the dental floss to take off a mistake by "flossing" underneath the layer. I tried it out for the first time this weekend and it worked WONDERFULLY!!! It even worked with taking off an item that was adhered with popdots.

The stamper that suggested adhering the extra cover for brillance stamp pads to the top cover with popdots--now I actually use it!!! (Yes, I was sometimes that lazy that I did not want to deal with the second cover).

SCStampers are the awesomest!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #782
Insane Embellisher

my fave tip has to be...ALWAYS use the embossing buddy before trying to stamp and emboss anything! i couldn't believe what a difference it made...i had no little embossed speckles anywhere on or around my image. it was wonderful!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 AM   #783
Compulsive Stamper

love reading all of these, now I am subbing so I don't have to keep searching for this thread again.

goodness!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #784
Rubber Obsessor

I have found that with my new acrylic stamps as well as my rubber if you rub a piece of cotton dipped in acetone over them lightly they take the ink perfectly.
and you only have to do it once
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #785
Matboard Maniac

Here's my tip for traveling with limited space: Get boxes from Harbour Fright, 25 small boxes with lids that lock that fit into a box just a little smaller than the size of a notebook. Put all your embossing powder in the small boxes of 1, h20 in small boxes in another , beaded beads in another, glitter in another with another, and I have one for sponges so I have a sponge for each color in SU family, and take your spots. You will be amazed at how little space it all fits into.
sam

sam
Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #786
Rubber Obsessor

Subscribing - what a terrific thread. TFS
Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #787
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgrammyView Post

Enjoy!
Thanks greatgrammy!!
This is so very helpful
Old 02-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #788
Matboard Maniac

Default My Favorite tip....

These are great ideas. I am learning so much!

*I color my staples using Sharpie markers.

*Use old catalogues you get in the mail as your mat while you stamp,glue, emboss, or do messy stuff. When the paper gets really tacky, rip that page out and use the next one!

*Bought a plastic container with 30 sections in it. Took alphabet stickers and put a letter in each section (A-Z). Then one day I took some scrap paper and punched out a bunch of letters and put them in each section. That way when I need a letter, I usually can find some that match what I am making.

*Cut down cereal boxes (like Cheerios) and use them to store my crafting magazines.

*Marry a man (like I did) that let California Closets redo our dining room into a crafting room on our 15th wedding anniversary!!

Thanks for all the terrific ideas ladies. This was a great idea.

Teresa
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #789
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
These are great ideas. I am learning so much!

*I color my staples using Sharpie markers.

*Use old catalogues you get in the mail as your mat while you stamp,glue, emboss, or do messy stuff. When the paper gets really tacky, rip that page out and use the next one!

*Bought a plastic container with 30 sections in it. Took alphabet stickers and put a letter in each section (A-Z). Then one day I took some scrap paper and punched out a bunch of letters and put them in each section. That way when I need a letter, I usually can find some that match what I am making.

*Cut down cereal boxes (like Cheerios) and use them to store my crafting magazines.

*Marry a man (like I did) that let California Closets redo our dining room into a crafting room on our 15th wedding anniversary!!

Thanks for all the terrific ideas ladies. This was a great idea.

Teresa
CUTE!!
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Old 02-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #790
Mad Swapper

Thanks to everyone for your great tips.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #791
Matboard Maniac

Here's one I haven't seen yet. Save those "fake" credit cards that you get in the mail and use them to spread glue, stencil paste, etc. Or you can paint them or cover them with paper and use as an embellishment on a card or in scrapbooking.

Karen
Old 02-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #792
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin8momView Post
I've posted this tip before, but I am an avid watercolorer and this is my all time favorite tip that was passed on to me.

Stamp your image you are going to watercolor onto the cardstock. Lightly spray with Krylon Matte Spray (available with sealers and spray paints). It will dry in seconds. (best to shake the can for 30 seconds before you spray! as per instructions on the can)

The matte spray makes any ink waterproof (navy, gray, brown, etc.) and lightly coats the paper so the watercolors blend effortlessly.

You can watercolor with any medium - aquapainters, blender pens, paintbrushes, etc.

Because the paper is coated, it won't soak up the water as fast, won't curl and won't "pill."

Love my matte spray!!!

Kathy
Great idea...Wonderful Tip!!
Thanks for sharing...can't wait to try this
Old 02-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #793
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergstamperView Post
I spent all day today looking through and compiling a list from all of these posts. I will try to attach it. Enjoy and thanks so much everone for the wealth of information. Nan
Thanks Nan..
This is going to be very helpful
to a lot of people!!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #794
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmfergView Post
I would have to agree with those that said using the brayer to ink background stamps. I never tried it until about a week ago....wow what a difference!!!
I just got a brayer..have not used it yet.
How do you clean it ?
Does the ink clean off easily...how about the basic black ??
TFS
Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #795
Matboard Maniac

subbing!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #796
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieGallView Post
I have found that with my new acrylic stamps as well as my rubber if you rub a piece of cotton dipped in acetone over them lightly they take the ink perfectly.
and you only have to do it once
Where does one find acetone? Is nail polish safe to use on stamps?

Heat guns can burn fingers so my favorite tip is to use a clipboard to hold my paper in place while heating embossing powder. I think it also helps the paper not to curl up as much. Also you can clip several small pieces under the clip at once and easily move from one to the next. I covered my clip board with alluminum foil. Some one said it reflects the heat and heats more evenly that way.
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=16494

Old 02-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #797
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergstamperView Post
Where does one find acetone? Is nail polish safe to use on stamps?

Heat guns can burn fingers so my favorite tip is to use a clipboard to hold my paper in place while heating embossing powder. I think it also helps the paper not to curl up as much. Also you can clip several small pieces under the clip at once and easily move from one to the next. I covered my clip board with alluminum foil. Some one said it reflects the heat and heats more evenly that way.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]What material is the clipboard made of? I have seen mainly translucent plastic lately. Will that work with the aliuminum foil?

Victoria R in Cincinnati[/FONT]
Old 02-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #798
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictoriamamaView Post
What material is the clipboard made of? I have seen mainly translucent plastic lately. Will that work with the aliuminum foil?

Victoria R in Cincinnati
I do this when I heat emboss (use a clipboard covered in aluminum foil). I was afraid the heat gun would melt the plastic clipboards, so at WalMart I found an inexpensive clipboard of a wood-type material in with the office supplies. I had to look for it, but it was there. It works great. I did all 40 of my Christmas cards with embossing on the front, inside and front panel, and it held up perfectly and worked out well.

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #799
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kendallreView Post
I do this when I heat emboss (use a clipboard covered in aluminum foil). I was afraid the heat gun would melt the plastic clipboards, so at WalMart I found an inexpensive clipboard of a wood-type material in with the office supplies. I had to look for it, but it was there. It works great. I did all 40 of my Christmas cards with embossing on the front, inside and front panel, and it held up perfectly and worked out well.
Haven't seen one of those in a while. This would work great when I am working with children. Thanks for the idea.

Victoria In Cincinnati
Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #800
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictoriamamaView Post
Haven't seen one of those in a while. This would work great when I am working with children. Thanks for the idea.

Victoria In Cincinnati
I think I got my clipboard at Sam's. Of cource it came as a set of 3 or 4. Hope you can find one. I bet an office supply store would have them too. I like the kind with the big clip that you squeeze above the board to open. I don't like the ones that just have a rectangle wire that you lift to clip.

Can anyone answer my question above about the tip someone posted about rubbing acetone on clear stamps to help them stamp better. Do you use nail polish remover or is it something else? Thanks
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=16494