Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 AM   #561
Mad Swapper

btt this is such a great thread! I LOVE reading everyone's ideas!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #562
Matboard Maniac

Wow, lots more ideas to write in my notebook!!

Thanks ladies

My blog : www.mum-on-the-run.blogspot.com
Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #563
Rubber Obsessor

I don't remember if this has been posted or not, but one of my favorite tips is...
Whenever I'm using the masking technique, I make sure that I stamp my "masking" image onto a post it note, so that it's easy to adhere to my project and stamp over. When I'm done, I just pop this image, that I've already painstakingly cut out, in with the stamps to store...then the next time I want to use that technique with that particular stamp, I don't have to cut it out again!
Hope this helps someone!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #564
Cardstock Collector

For scoring, I use my paper trimmer. I line up my paper to the measurement where I want scored and instead of using the blade, I take my bone folder (or stylus) and score along where the blade would go. Straight score everytime! Thanx to everyone for sharing!

My Etsy website: http://www.etsy.com/shop/bellacreationz4u
Old 07-31-2007, 01:58 PM   #565
Pearl-ExPert

When my mono multi is almost empty I take off the cap and put it upside down in a dixie cup. Then I dab it on the cardstock. I'm able to get a whole lot more cards out of the same bottle that way.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #566
Cardstock Collector

For scoring I use the awesome new tool Scor-Pal. It has become my favorite tool. Finally everything is perfect, the score, the fold. I did an accordion card in seconds. BTW fold so your score line is on the outside. Makes for a better looking fold.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #567
Gabfest Goddess

Has anyone made an updated Word Doc with the additional tips? LM

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #568
Glitter Guru

Not sure if anyone else does this with thier blender pens. But when my tips get fatter at the top I trim the top with scissors. then you can use them a lot longer. Plus I wet with a dab of water whne they get dry. And I use them over and over again. I have had my blender pens for 4 years now or longer.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #569
Matboard Maniac

I have not done this, but when my blender pens do dry out, I intend to make them into "in color" markers by dipping that dry end into a little capful of re-inker of the desired color... I am guessing that capillary action will soak up the ink, and then I will have a marker of that color. Anyone done this? I sure would like tips on it, though!
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #570
Proud Fan Club Member

Rinse the tip w/ running water. A PITA but it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursehb8View Post
********DOES ANYONE HAVE A TIP ON KEEPING CRYSTAL EFFECTS FROM DRYING IN THE DISPENSING TIP? I keep using a needle to clean it out, but what a pain!********************************************* *
I put a pin in mine and leave it there. Seems to work OK for me. (My tip is cut really small, so the pin just fits in there. I also use it quite a bit, so maybe the pin has nothing to do with it!!)[/QUOTE]
Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #571
Matboard Maniac

Default Love this Tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by daizygirlView Post
I use my Watercolor Wonder Crayons a lot. Sometimes I like using watercolor paint instead of coloring and then blending, though.

When the tips get dull I sharpen them. I keep the shavings from my WWC in small watchmaker tins I found at Lee Valley, and label them with the colour name. Then, when I want to paint with watercolors, I have a collection of shavings to pick from. Just add water and voila!

This way you don't waste any of those wonderful WWC!!!

I also found some glue spreaders at Lee Valley that are great for spreading glue to the edges of paper to avoid oozing. They are great, and really easy to clean!

Wow....I kinda sound like an ad for Lee Valley, don't I! Oooops!
I could be that ad -- and I love this tip -- AND -- folks, Cate is a cool person. Read her blog. I could be there, so easily. Life is hard with little ones -- and I am a 40-something doing it... talk about tiring! Be well, Cate. thinking of you...
J
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #572
Proud Fan Club Member

Default tips

I read through this entire post again today.... I guess I really took alot of tips to heart, because I have done alot of the organizational ideas, like putting BB,EE,RR,SS on the ends of my stamp pads, etc......

I went to a class in a stamping store this weekend, and the lady had a set of markers that she had taken a small strip of colored duct tape- approx 1/8 inch wide and wrapped it around each of her markers. This would be useful for a gathering as you would know for sure which markers are yours.

Also, I made beaded scissor fobs that attach to all of my scissors, so they do not get mixed up- to try to keep scissors that belong to me from going home with some one else....... some attach with a clasp to the scissor handle and have a small rubber hub at the tip of the scissors to cover the sharp point of the scissor tip.

What a great thread- I learn so much here- the things that should be common sense are -Duh moments!!!

Shelly
Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #573
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcschmidtyView Post
I read through this entire post again today.... I guess I really took alot of tips to heart, because I have done alot of the organizational ideas, like putting BB,EE,RR,SS on the ends of my stamp pads, etc......

I went to a class in a stamping store this weekend, and the lady had a set of markers that she had taken a small strip of colored duct tape- approx 1/8 inch wide and wrapped it around each of her markers. This would be useful for a gathering as you would know for sure which markers are yours.

Also, I made beaded scissor fobs that attach to all of my scissors, so they do not get mixed up- to try to keep scissors that belong to me from going home with some one else....... some attach with a clasp to the scissor handle and have a small rubber hub at the tip of the scissors to cover the sharp point of the scissor tip.

What a great thread- I learn so much here- the things that should be common sense are -Duh moments!!!

Shelly
I think I need to do this sometimes at my gatherings people pick up things by mistake. There are so many tips here!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #574
Insane Embellisher

I have tips on my blog under the Weekly tip label...don't think any of them have been posted here. Thermal embossing tips are included in the Embossing Powder Candy Store entry (under labels, not Commercial sites).

If you go to my blog, please leave a comment if you have time.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #575
Glitter Guru

Default save money on the photo corner punch. do it yourself.

Here's how, YOU CAN DO THIS A COUPLE OF WAYS .

You can use a square punch and punch out a square. Then cut that in half diagonal .Then from that you cut out a smaller triangle by cutting out a V IN THE CENTER. WHALLA YOU HAVE YOUR PHOTO CORNER.

OR you cut out a triangle from the corner of your paper. Use scissors, straight or if you want a decorative look use that. There are so many differant decorative scissors to get all kinds of looks for the photo corners.

Then cut out the inside of the triangle .By going in just a little bit from the edge cut into the corner but don't go up all the way. do the same on the otherside.

Now you just saved yourself $15.95 plus tax and shipping.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #576
Glitter Guru

Default making your own designer label punch

Here's how,

Cut out a small rectangle,Now useing a round hand held circle punch which most of us have..cut the corner off all 4 side of the rectangle. Now cut out a circle from your coluzzle slightly bigger than the rectangle. Make sure it overlaps the top and bottom of the rectangle. Now adhere the two pieces together. HERE YOU HAVE IT. YOUR OWN DESIGNER LABEL. iT'S THAT EASY.nOW HOW MUCH DID YOU SAVE.

The best thing about this is when you cut out your circle and rectangle you can mix match your background color of the circle if you don't want it to be the same color as your rectangle.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #577
Glitter Guru

Default Ticket Punch

Use a slit punch. Or a round hand held circle punch, by cutting a small rectangle from your cardstock. Then use your circle handheld punch and cut off the 4 corners.

Now you have a ticket punch for all those pages you need a ticket for. carnival pages. movie theather invites, a ball game,
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #578
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Question

I love this thread, but I am also wondering if anyone has updated a word ducument that we can print out?

If so, please list the post number.

Thanks so much--Barb
Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #579
Polyshrink Goddess

Default favorite tip

I have read so many great ideas it was hard to think of some I hadn't seen. I use a kid's blank sticker book to store the masks I have made. You can use the same one over and over.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #580
Proud Fan Club Member

Default tips

Lisa- I love the punch ideas!!!

There was a thread on her about cooking in a crock pot, so that you could stamp and not worrk about making dinner. I will have to go look up some recipes- it is way too hot here to turn on the oven. (I know- I do think of the poor soldiers in Iraq...). That was a wonderful idea to me!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #581
Kookie Creator

thanks for the tips,
very helpful,
Old 08-13-2007, 05:42 AM   #582
Pearl-ExPert

When you are out of mono multi or maybe other kinds of liquid glue, take the cap off and put the bottle upside down in a dixie cup or something similar. Then dab the bottle on your cardstock and you'll be able to make several more cards out of that bottle.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #583
Embossing Fanatic

Wow, just discovered this thread when doing a search about versa mark uses. Got a lot more than I bargained for. Thanks to everyone for all of the great tips! Although now I don't know where to begin
Old 09-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #584
Matboard Maniac

Wink <<<<Thanks for sharing >>>>

I'm so amazed by all these tips. I've only read one page but want to come back and finish reading later when I have time. My tip may have already been given but I use baby wipes to clean my stamps. They seem to always clean them well. The only thing they don't clean well is the chalk inks so any ideas on cleaning these ? I'll try and come up with some more ideas and get back on here later. Happy Stamping ! Beckaroni

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #585
Matboard Maniac

Default I'm back....

I have a few tips to share:

# Mount a piece of pegboard for organizing supplies.

# Glue or tape a measuring tape on the edge of your work table for easy sizing or measuring.

# Use unused pizza boxes to store rubber stamps. Call your neighborhood pizza place and ask them for boxes. Color code the boxes (orange for Halloween stamps, green for plants) to make them easier to locate. Stamp the bottom of the box with the stamp that belongs in that spot and stack them.

# Store paintbrushes/tools in an empty soup cans and insert corrugated cardboard to keep them separate.

# Store craft supplies in kitchen canisters. Fill them with cotton balls, ribbon, felt scraps, yarn, etc.

# Cleaned-out baby food or margarine containers make excellent embellishment holders.

# Glue magnetic strips to a wall and hang scissors and other metal tools on them, or use a peg board and hooks. You'll never have to dig around in a drawer again.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #586
Inking Addict

I like to use empty ice cube trays for holding precut shapes, embellishments,
completed small items ready to mount. The stack easily and increase your storage with easy to see items.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #587
SCS RAK Coordinator

Default Updated?

Has anyone updated the word document with the latest tips?

Just checking again--Barb

Old 09-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #588
Polyshrink Goddess

If any one is still subscribing to this thread, here's a tip that I haven't seen posted. I write with a silver Sharpie on my Stampin Scrub "Clean" with a little arrow pointing to one side and "Dry" with a little arrow pointing to the other side so I don't forget and spray both sides with cleaner.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #589
Compulsive Stamper

Don't know if this has been posted, To store your ribbon on the roll, cut a slit in the cardboard side and slide the ribbon through (similar to a spool of thread). Keeps the ribbon from getting all tangled, easier than using tape.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #590
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanermeView Post
Has anyone made an updated Word Doc with the additional tips? LM
I am working on it right now. I am almost finished, so hold on a little longer.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #591
Kookie Creator

Default Updated file as of 9/20/07

Okay, here we go. I'm pretty sure I got everything since the last Word file was uploaded.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SCS Stampin' tips.doc (242.0 KB, 209 views)
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #592
Rubber Obsessor

Alyce,
Thank you for all your hard work!!! Ladies like you amaze me on your talents as well as your generosity, with your time!!
Old 09-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #593
Rubber Obsessor

Default Here are a couple of my tips.

In the hardware section I found four sixteen drawer boxes probably used for screws, nails, etc. and I store all my embossing powders in them. I have labels for the outside of each drawer so I can find them easily. I just dump the excess powder right back in the drawer. Works great!

Instead of discarding the scrap paper underneath my work surface, I often recycle the paper by making envelopes. They look cool! Often I've stamped off or just tried a combination of colors, and the envelopes will even match the card. No waste of paper! People have asked where I got the cool envelopes. Hee hee.

I have to SEE my stamps or I won't use them so I mounted strips of that metal molding you put on stairs on my stamp room walls. I mounted it backwards so there is a little shelf, and my SU stamp sets plus other stamps fit on them. I can easily pick one stamp if I need it or decide which set I want to use. I don't have a huge stamp room either.

Thanks for all the great tips, ladies! You rock!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #594
Compulsive Stamper

Wow I read so much on here don't recall what all I read so if this is a repeat...sorry in advance....this is an oldie...a remember when...the funny brush came out? I don't know if they are still out there or not but if you want to make your own effect and get 2 looks for the price of one here is what you do....take about 10 or 15 rubber bands...(3 inch size..any thickness)..hold them in a bunch and wrap a rubberband around the middle good and snug. On one end cut the end off to where all the loops are gone and it is somewhat stiff so you can stamp with it. You can stamp both ends on your stamp pad for neat effects and textures.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #595
Compulsive Stamper

Alyce, Thank you for making this file available to all of us.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #596
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgrammyView Post
Okay, here we go. I'm pretty sure I got everything since the last Word file was uploaded.
You are AWESOME!!!

I started reading the first page of all these great tips and thought, gosh, it would be so nice to have this all condensed....!

thank you thank you thank you!!!

Maybe our OP could post this in her first post so everyone knows it's here?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #597
Kookie Creator

Rats, I just remembered I didn't credit to bergstamper for all her hard work. She is the one who created the file in the first place. Thanks so much for setting up a great file with an easy format.

I realized at one point that she had gotten very involved elsewhere on SCS and decided to update the file myself. I did a little at a time checking to see if anyone else had posted a newer file. When I finished yesterday I decided to get it uploaded for all to share.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #598
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a two drawer metal file cabinet under one edge of my desk. I use a hanging pendaflex folder for each color paper. I put the whole sheets of paper inside a manilla folder (that's labeled on the tab). Then I drop all my scraps of that color behind the folder, but it's still in the pendaflex file. This has made my life SO much easier!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:18 AM   #599
SCS RAK Coordinator

thank you so much for updating this--Barb
Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #600
Stampin' Fool

Just found one that might help those of you that love gamsol and prismacolor pencil coloring. Frustrated that the "lead" of your prismacolors breaks easily. Place your pencil vertically while sharpening rather than the standard horizontal way. This makes it so you aren't putting stress on the soft core of these pencils. For more info straight from the manufacturer http://prismacolor.com/sanford/consu...ml?id=SNPCF006