Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 AM   #521
Glitter Guru

For Scrapbookers. On the backs of macaroni and Cheese boxes. The blue boxes. They have characters. From Blues clues, scooby doo, dora. etc. So if you have young ones and need a sticker for a page and can't find one go to your mac and cheese boxes. I did a page with sponge bob. And it came out awwesome. Just cut out the pictures on the back and adhere them to your pages.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #522
Rubber Obsessor

My favorite tip (which my SU Demonstrator used in our class this month - and her other classes as well): I saw a card in a magazine that I wanted to recreate and it had circles cut out (the outline). I didn't want to spend the money on a circle cutter from Coluzzle or Fiskar or MM, so I experimented.
Works for any shape where you have two punches of different sizes: punch out shape with smaller punch; then, with the larger punch, punch out 'rim' or 'outline' from your sheet or square of paper. You've got a great outline and depending on which punches you have, you can even vary the thickness of the 'outline'. You can then use the shape you punched out for something else.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #523
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylene
Turn off your ceiling fan while using dazzling diamonds glitter.

I resemble that
Old 04-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #524
Die Cut Diva

My new favorite tip is to organized designer papers so that you will really use them. Pictures in posts 101 and 102 in this blog. http://blog.360.yahoo.com/rubyslippers74
Old 04-20-2007, 06:23 AM   #525
Mad Swapper

Love this thread, but . . .

Twice, I've posted a big reply with a new tip and both times it didn't show up. Grrrrrr! If this little whine shows up, I'll really be mad!
Old 04-20-2007, 06:24 AM   #526
Failed Lurker

Sorry, I shouldn't laugh....
Old 04-20-2007, 06:31 AM   #527
Mad Swapper

Smile If at third, you don't succeed . . .

Let's try this one more time! I hate spending a half hour doing a cool reply and losing it, twice!
At my last stamp club meeting, Deloris showed us all a really cute trick to do a mirror image. We all know about using vellum, erasers, etc. to do mirrors, but this one is way easier. Dee stamped an image from Lovely as a Tree at the top of a piece of CS, leaving room at bottom for mirror. She stamped it again on a piece of waxed paper, flipped it over, lined it up to original image, laid it down, swooshed over it once with her hand, lifted the waxed paper and VOILA, a perfect mirror image. We all applauded and asked for an encore. Dee stamped, stamped, flipped, lined up, swooshed and lifted again! Ta daaaaa! More applause. With both times, it took her less than 5 minutes. Way cool!
Ready..Set..Craft likes this post.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #528
Failed Lurker

Now that IS a cool tip - well worth the effort! Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #529
Mad Swapper

Smile

Go ahead and laugh, Bagpuss. I finally made it on the third try! I thought SU was already in England! Ally and Fiona both use lots of SU.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:40 AM   #530
Mad Swapper

Smile I had a thought!

Look out, Kathy had a thought. I wish we could edit these things. sigh

Oh, well, here it is. This waxed paper trick works great for mirror images, but I bet it works equally as well for left/right images! If you have one shoe, you now have two! If you have one palm frond, you now have two. Wow, I amaze myself sometimes! I had an original thought in my head! LOL
Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 AM   #531
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathynruss
Let's try this one more time! I hate spending a half hour doing a cool reply and losing it, twice!
At my last stamp club meeting, Deloris showed us all a really cute trick to do a mirror image. We all know about using vellum, erasers, etc. to do mirrors, but this one is way easier. Dee stamped an image from Lovely as a Tree at the top of a piece of CS, leaving room at bottom for mirror. She stamped it again on a piece of waxed paper, flipped it over, lined it up to original image, laid it down, swooshed over it once with her hand, lifted the waxed paper and VOILA, a perfect mirror image. We all applauded and asked for an encore. Dee stamped, stamped, flipped, lined up, swooshed and lifted again! Ta daaaaa! More applause. With both times, it took her less than 5 minutes. Way cool!
Now that is a great tip! I'm going to get my Lovely as a Tree stamp out tonight to give that a try!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #532
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathynruss
Wow, thanks for holding out for the third time, cuz that is a really cool tip!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #533
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
My new favorite tip is to organized designer papers so that you will really use them. Pictures in posts 101 and 102 in this blog. http://blog.360.yahoo.com/rubyslippers74
That is a fantastic tip. So far I only have SU designer paper so I created a couple binder pages with photocopies of the paper from the catalog. But for other types, this is a good idea. TFS
Old 04-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #534
Rubber Obsessor

What a great tip on mirror images! I saw a card like that in a magazine and wondered how to do it. Now I know. Cool.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:20 AM   #535
Stazon Splitcoast

Love the waxed paper idea! Maybe a new one for my techniques class, so your 3rd try was much appreciated. TFS
Old 04-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #536
Kookie Creator

great tips!

Elizabeth (4/96)
Hannah (9/97)

Andrew (5/00)
Anthony (2/02)

Abigail ( 9/14/06)

"A word spoken in due season, how good it is!" Prov 15:23
Old 04-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #537
Glitter Queen

Subscribing! Love all the tips. I feel I can use all the help I can get.
Thanks everyone!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #538
Inking Addict

Default Mirror image

Thank you for your perseverance. The mirror technique is really quick this way!
Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #539
Matboard Maniac

Default Stamp Pad Coloured Labels

Hi there girls,

What a great thread thank you so much for all of your great ideas, tips & tricks it is GREATLY appreciated! I dont know if what I have attached falls into Favourite Tip or not, probably more of an organizational thing, but I thought Id attach it in case it is of use to anyone. When my new SU pads arrived, I was surprised that the actual name was no longer printed on the end. I really liked having the name there, right on the end, so I made up some labels for them. The colours are formatted for my Canon Pixma iP6000D printer, so theymay need to be tweaked.

I just print the document onto an 8 x 11 label sheet and cut the labels out with my x-acto knife. If you dont have access to a full sheet label they could be taped on. I dont know if the Xyron or snail adhesive would hold on a permanent basis, but double sided scotch tape would probably work.
Attached Files
File Type: doc PadLabels.doc (48.5 KB, 192 views)
Old 04-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #540
Mad Swapper

Smile

Thanks, Ashymko! While I only have about 7 new SU pads, I know someone with all of them in a neat holder that can use them, so I'll send this tip on to her.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:31 AM   #541
Mad Swapper

Smile Sticker Tip

Here's another cool idea I got from Dee in my stamp club. She buys Mrs. Grossman's stickers by the huuuuuge rolls. She loves 3D stickers like from Kay & Co., but those get expensive for mass producing cards. Dee saw this someplace and it works great.

You peel the sticker off its back, lay it sticky side up (tweezers help here), trim dimensionals to fit here and there and apply to sticky side of sticker. Dust the sticker with talcum powder (also saw that someone used corn starch), peel the last bits off the dimensionals and stick the flower wherever you want. It's now popped up! I've made a cute card by mounting the daisies sticker on an oval piece of black glossy CS left over after coluzzling (is that word?) some frames. I'll have to scan it and upload it to my gallery, but will put a link on this thread when I do. The daisies look like they were incredibly colored and fussily cut out, but it's a sticker! Woo hoo!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:40 AM   #542
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittypawsView Post
When I get a new stamp set, I stamp each image on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper (you can get more than one stamp set on a page) and then label the name of the set on the page, then put this in a 3-ring binder. I can usually remember the large pieces, but this is particularly useful for some of the small images that come in a set that you might want to use as a background, etc. It's a lot easier to go through a 3-ring binder than rummaging through stamp sets. Works for me.
I love love love this idea! Thanks for sharing this tip!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #543
Matboard Maniac

I do the 3 ring binder thing too, BUT am a bit lazy so before I mount my stamps I copy the sheet with the stamp images on it onto a piece of "cheap" CS for my binder. Have been thinking about arranging my binder in catalog fashion but for now they are in alpha order. As Kittypaws says this is sooooo much easier than rummaging through stamps sets! I will often just look through my binder just to keep fresh in my mind what all I do have as it is way too much for me to remember.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #544
Inking Addict

Default Easier punching

I've read through these and don't think I've seen this one. Stamp an image you want on a punched out piece and then turn your punch over to line it up. If you press down just a bit, you can "grab" the cs so it doesn't move around. Reposition if necessary and then punch all the way through. This works well for faux buttons. I first punch with a small 2 hole punch and then line up a 1/2" circle punch with those two holes in the center and punch out.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #545
Compulsive Stamper

I get my dipper spoons from Basket robbins the ice cream store. The ones they use for you to sample ice cream they work like a charm!
Dar
Old 06-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #546
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyleneView Post
Turn off your ceiling fan while using dazzling diamonds glitter.
LOL I learned this one the hard way. In Arizona we have ceiling fans going half the winter, too. What a surprise!

Makaren
Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #547
Insane Embellisher

You can use the little pink sample spoons from Baskin Robbins for your dipper spoons.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #548
Insane Embellisher

So sorry, didn't see the tip that was already posted before I posted mine. Great minds think alike....
Old 07-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #549
Embossing Fanatic

Default Organizing stamps

Being a type A person, I had to find a way to organize what I have. So, here are my two tips: I have a document (which can be updated) of all the sayings on my stamps. I keep it in a 3 ring binder and refer to it when I need a "special" saying. It keeps me from rummaging through all the sets.
Tip #2: I used clear report covers and stamped the images from each set with Stazon ink. I then write the name of the set on the cover as well. Keep them in a 3 ring binder too. That way, I have a record of all the stamps in each set, and I can lay the images on a card that I'm making to see how it would fit. Saves "mistakes".
Love this site!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #550
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmspenglerView Post
Being a type A person, I had to find a way to organize what I have. So, here are my two tips: I have a document (which can be updated) of all the sayings on my stamps. I keep it in a 3 ring binder and refer to it when I need a "special" saying. It keeps me from rummaging through all the sets.
Tip #2: I used clear report covers and stamped the images from each set with Stazon ink. I then write the name of the set on the cover as well. Keep them in a 3 ring binder too. That way, I have a record of all the stamps in each set, and I can lay the images on a card that I'm making to see how it would fit. Saves "mistakes".
Love this site!
I always stamp my new sets and keep them in a binder also, but I never thought to do on clear report covers. I stamp some images onto tracing vellum and keep with each set. That way they are ready to use with a stamp aligner and I can see how they fit onto a card. I like your way better, I think.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #551
Polyshrink Goddess

subcribe
Old 07-02-2007, 02:54 AM   #552
Insane Embellisher

I also keep a binder full of what stamp sets I have. I put the stamps on the printer and make a copy so I can thumb through and see which ones I have when I need to make a card.

In my 3-ring binder I also keep cards (for ideas) that I get from friends, etc.

I love all the tips. I've found several that I'm already using. Thanks everyone!
GramT likes this post.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:19 AM   #553
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Subscribing to this thread for all the GREAT ideas!

I have to go try the eyelet thing with the 1/8" punch AND the 10-sec microwave thing to fix up my Fishy Friends mounting.

Thanks ladies, and keep 'em coming!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #554
Polyshrink Goddess

These are all great!!!!
My tip is not such an exciting one, but it is one I got from someone else...when making a card...make two, then you have one to add to your "when you need a card" selection. My goal is to make some and when I have too many..I am going to take them to our Local Hospital Auxilary Gift Shop. They can sell them and the proceeds go towards hospital equipment.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #555
Queen of Combos

Not sure if this is already in here or not. If it is please forgive me.
I hate the fact that the re-inkers from SU have white tops instead of color matching tops. I took my 1/8" punch and punched out the cordinating paper and used a glue dot to attach it to the top of the re-inker bottle. Now I can see the color without lifting the bottle.
Happy Stampin'
Honored FS213 & QFTD103
Old 07-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #556
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinGramsView Post
I do the 3 ring binder thing too, BUT am a bit lazy so before I mount my stamps I copy the sheet with the stamp images on it onto a piece of "cheap" CS for my binder. Have been thinking about arranging my binder in catalog fashion but for now they are in alpha order. As Kittypaws says this is sooooo much easier than rummaging through stamps sets! I will often just look through my binder just to keep fresh in my mind what all I do have as it is way too much for me to remember.
I have a rolodex that I use. All my stamps are stored by catagory and the rolodex is split into those same catagories. If I need a sports stamp I just spin to the sports section and there are all of my sport stamps stamped on the rolodex cards.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #557
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by n5stamperView Post
Not sure if this is already in here or not. If it is please forgive me.
I hate the fact that the re-inkers from SU have white tops instead of color matching tops. I took my 1/8" punch and punched out the cordinating paper and used a glue dot to attach it to the top of the re-inker bottle. Now I can see the color without lifting the bottle.
Happy Stampin'
What an absolutely great tip! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #558
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffysmomView Post
The best tip I have ever rec'd from my demo, was mounting stamps in the lower corner so you can stamp the image where you want it.(Thanks Kathleen!) I am right handed. Rubber facing up, mount the stamps in the lower right. Rubber side down, it is in the lower left. Especially for 2 step stamping, you can peek around the left side and see where the rubber is to place the image exactly where you want it. I place the label in the lower corner too, to remind me where the rubber is mounted.

I mount all of my stamps this way. The only downside is your stamp can wobble because it is not centered, but once you get used to this, for me, it has worked just great!! Wouldn't do it any other way.

Denise
Denise.... why not take some of the left over sticky rubber from where you trimmed your stamps and put in the other corner to balance the stamp?
Hope this helps...
God bless
Nyoka
Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #559
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingnutView Post
I've found several uses for used dryer sheets in my stamp room:

Someone else mentioned using them as substitute mulberry paper which can be dyed to match. I've never tried that, but what's an awesome idea. I just love being able to reuse something that seemed destined for the garbage can! Does anyone else have ideas for used dryer sheets or other "trash"?

stampingnut
Hi... I have been coloring some regular old paper towels with Kool-aid and ironing dry and then using like mulberry paper.... it leaves the "feather" look when torn... I guess you could use the food coloring.....
God bless
Nyoka
jank204 likes this post.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #560
Matboard Maniac

Wow, great tips everybody, thanks!!

My blog : www.mum-on-the-run.blogspot.com