Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #401
Watercolor Wizard

I read somewhere that someone stated that you shouldnt use the walmart ribbon made by offray...can anyone tell me why?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #402
Polyshrink Goddess

I'd like to know why too!

I use this ribbon all the time and I swear SU! gingham is made by OFFRAY.

I don't know this for a fact but when I compare the two they are almost identical!

I think that their organdy is pretty darn close to ours too!

Can anyone shed some light on why we shouldn't use it?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #403
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly0618
When I saw the crop-o-dile it looked oddly familiar to me. My dad is a carpenter and as a young girl I spent a lot of time "building" with him in his workshop. I was sure I had used a similar tool and went looking at the hardware store. Well, there it was - a punch and eyelet setter for leather really, and it was on sale for just $4.99 (regular $7.99). It punches 5 different sizes and sets the eyelets. oh yeah... it came with 100 bonus eyelets! This is not the first time scrapbooking tools looked oddly familiar to me and I've found a similar and cheaper tool in the hardware store. It just doesn't have the pink handles
That is so funny! I remember purchasing a microplane grater at a kitchen store for about $12.00 so I could grate lemon and lime zest, and my husband said he thought he had one of those in the garage that he bought at a hardware store for a couple bucks! I guess it's used for shaving and shaping wood.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM   #404
Glitter Queen

Default Favorite Tip

Before I place the clear labels on my wood blocks, I make a copy of it and place it in the box so I know which stamps go where.

You could also use the copied page for an index of stamps by three-hole punching the page and putting in a binder. Saves the time of having to stamp each image on a piece of paper. Of course, you have to have access to a copy machine
Old 09-14-2006, 01:44 PM   #405
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Default UPDATED LIST!

Hi all! I just wanted to post the list of all the tips up to this point!

Last edited by prchvs; 10-06-2008 at 09:34 PM..
Old 09-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #406
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by vhalvers
Before I place the clear labels on my wood blocks, I make a copy of it and place it in the box so I know which stamps go where.

You could also use the copied page for an index of stamps by three-hole punching the page and putting in a binder. Saves the time of having to stamp each image on a piece of paper. Of course, you have to have access to a copy machine
This is a fabulous tip, and I have been placing a copy of the label sheet in my box too to make sure I'm putting the right stamp in the right box. I have a scanner/printer/copier so it is never a problem making photo copies.

And a BIG THANKS to prchvs for preparing the excellent tips sheet!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #407
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvs
Hi all! I just wanted to post the list of all the tips up to this point!
Renee, You are Awesome!!
Thanks for your time on this!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #408

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer
Renee, You are Awesome!!
Thanks for your time on this!
well thanks! I had fun and it's pretty easy for me!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #409
Cardstock Collector

Here's a couple of tips:

I keep *long* pieces of excess rubber scraps in a container to use during the holidays for *shaker ornaments*. I just adhere with sticky strip, because you don't want the glitter, etc. to sneak out. I think I peel off the rubber and just use the *foam* portion of it mostly. Depends what your *SHAKIN*. :-}

I use a sharpie marker on an Avery label (cut to size) to place on the end of the stamp containers with the stamp set name so it is very plain to see.

Also, locally at our newspaper office. They sell rolls of newspaper that are *short* on paper for like $2.00. When I say short on paper I mean, there is still so much there that it takes forever to use it all. Good to cover your stampin area with and great for kids to doodle on, and they LOVE tracing each other on it.

Also my upline orders Tombow Adhesive refills through Viking in bulk and divides it up and it ends up being like under $2 each!!

Tons of great tips here!! A few I love are scraps in a binder w/ page protectors-how clever...Cheap Shadow Stamp, coloring mesh, placing stampin scrub and daubers in dishwasher.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #410
Compulsive Stamper

These are great tips - thanks!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #411
Insane Embellisher

When I mounted Amazing to Zany alphabetically I also numbered the blocks so they could be put back in the box quickly in order. That way I don't have to mentally running thru the alphabet every time. Just seems to me numbers are easier to deal with. (just my humble opinion)

Old 09-21-2006, 04:53 AM   #412
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma Overboard
When I mounted Amazing to Zany alphabetically I also numbered the blocks so they could be put back in the box quickly in order. That way I don't have to mentally running thru the alphabet every time. Just seems to me numbers are easier to deal with. (just my humble opinion)
GREAT idea,TFS!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #413
Stampin' Fool

Default Faux Stitch Tip

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet...but I find it easier to faux stitch if I first cut out the size mat I want then turn it over and with a ruler use a light colored pencil and draw out where you want your stitch lines to be then using your mouse pad to lay your card stock on and your ruler make your holes using the markings on your ruler then turn your card stock over so you dont see your line...(I find that in making the lines if you mover your ruler you will know where to line it back up)
Old 09-21-2006, 07:59 AM   #414
Stampin' Fool

Default Another Faux Stich Tip

Also if your lines seem off center on your faux stitch just use your paper cutter and take off some of the side slightly to even it out!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #415

Default Updated List!

updated list to this point!

Last edited by prchvs; 10-06-2008 at 09:34 PM..
Old 09-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #416
Stampin' Fool

Ultra clean stamp cleaner is amazing for cleaning your scissors. Just squirt once on a napkin, wipe your scissors and they are clean. They seem to stay clean for a long time too. I cut 9 stamp sets out last night and only had to clean my scissors twice. Your napkin will say "wet" a long time.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #417
Kookie Creator

bmp so I can find you at home
Old 09-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #418
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Great Tips!! Thank you Thank you

To everyone who has added their 2 cents... THANKS

Okay, I took notes as I thought of my tips so I wouldn't repeat, but hey, 12 pages later.... and hours later, if I repeat any, please forgive me!

Here are three of my tips...
Cleaning Sticky adhesive off of my Kai scissors (and fingers!)- Rubbing alcohol on a cheap white terry cloth towel (like the ones you get at the automotive store or at Costco or Sam's in a HUGE bundle). I soak a corner of the towel and rub off every 4 or 5 stamps. Really easy. (Works much better than the too stinky and volatile Goo Gone and Undo for me)

Sorting/Organizing Brads/Eyelets/Punched out Flower/Shapes-
Weekly Pill Boxes that have little doors on each day... (cheap at the Dollar Tree Store or Rite Aid, etc). Big or Little compartments- dep. on your need. Label each door with Sharpie on Avery Label- use a color that matches the brad/ eyelet /etc. I even draw a picture on some- heart, star, flower, etc. I like these better than those craft sorters that open all the doors at a time... well, because it's like the opening the chalk story- open-pop-chalk eVERywheRE!

Faux Faux Stitches- instead of sewing- my demo had us draw the stitches with a white gel pen while using a clear ruler to guide it to go straight. I just dash dash dashed (- - - - -) with my little hearts delight all over the place and it looked fabulous!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:26 PM   #419
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Five more tips...

Sorting pre-punched shapes- I use Ziploc food containers to sort precut shapes- I use the CM (Creative Memories) punches and SU (Stampin Up) punches... so I will pre-punch a handful of squares, circles, hearts, stars, in variable sizes and colors and then keep them separated by shape in different containers.

Sorting Pre-Cut Paper- I have a Sterilite container on the top of my stampin table with the 5.5"x4.5" sized SU plastic containers each filled with pre-cut paper. I cut my 8.5"x11" sheets into 4 equal 5.5"x 4.25" pieces. Each box has about 2-4 pieces of each of the colors I have. One box for "Linenized" or "Canvased" cardstock (use Linen or Canvas stamp or see tip below on how to make it without the Linen stamp). One box of crimped cardstock. One box of Embossed pieces (hearts, dots, stars, etc). One box of actual textured paper. One box of plain old un-touched cardstock. Then I have a little 4.5"x3.25" SU box filled with 2.75"x4.25" pieces of cardstock. Oh, it's great for a fast card brainstorm and creation!

Making my own Linen paper- don't have the Linen stamp- and holding out... because I figured out how to make it with nylon screen and a brayer. You roll the ink on a piece of screen. Then put your cardstock on top of it. Put a piece of scrap paper over that and then rub with your hands or another clean brayer over the cardstock. Lift it up and voila- it has linen lines on it now. Here's the link to a tips document I already posted, pictures included. http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...27#post3564027

Sorting My Stamps- I am in the process of UNmounting ALL my stamps (very huge project- taking forever) and to organize them I am using CD cases- I remove the CD holding part and stick the stamps (mounted on ClingEase mounting foam) in that place. Each case is labeled with a White Avery Label- I use colored Sharpies- using a specific color for each type of stamp (Pink-floral, Green-nature, Blue-beach/water, Black-letters, Purple-words/quotes, Orange-animals, Tan-backgrounds, Green-miscellaneous, and other colors TBA...). So now my stamps take up 1/4 the amount of space and are organized by type of stamp! So nice

Taking pictures of my cards, projects, stamp sets, etc- No more scanner for me- I use my digital camera and set it to portrait, under good light- no flash- zoom in to crop- easy.

Make your own Wheel Guide- I used a clear ruler (bought 3 for $1 at the Dollar Tree) and used the mounting rubber scraps from trimming my stamps to make feet under it. Lined the pieces up like this: - - - - - - - on each side of the underside of the ruler. Perfect height, rubber side down makes it not slip, totally works to guide my wheels!

I am sure there are more... and I look forward to more of all of your tips!!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #420
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Thank you for the updated document!

Just wanted to publicly than Nan for at first and then prchvs for the great Word documents on these tips!!!

You rock!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #421
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face oops I meant THANK not "than"

.... oh it is so late! my brain is mush...

when one of you gets a tip to make the days longer and the energy stronger as we obsess and stay up all night playing on scs... please post it ASAP!

Old 09-23-2006, 01:57 AM   #422
Polyshrink Goddess

Lightbulb tips for shrinky dinks or Polyshrink Plastic

Polyshrink Plastic- here are three hints that made it work out better...

Hint 1- I like to use my pens and dye inks... but Rose Red looks like brown and Lovely lilac looks like black or dark eggplant after being shrunk... so test out your colors before you do your actual image. I'm thinking of making a test sheet with each of the colors on it + labeled (wow, that would surpass my usual type A organizational behavior by far!)

Hint 2- let the ink dry (an hour) before trying to cut out the image.

3rd Hint- don't bother cooking the polyshrink in an oven- hold it down to a aluminum foil covered board with a pair of tweezers (don't let go) and then hit it with the heat of the heat embossing gun until it squiggles around and shrinks and finally will lay flat on the table. To keep it totally flat. Quickly tap it with something like the bottom of a coffee cup or a piece of wood right after it's shrunk.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:56 AM   #423
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocForHelp

when one of you gets a tip to make the days longer and the energy stronger as we obsess and stay up all night playing on scs... please post it ASAP!

That is what I am waiting for too! LOL

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 09-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #424
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile What's your favorite stampin tip?

How 'bout it out there, what's your favorite tip?

(bump)
Old 09-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #425
Crimping Master

Found a great alternative to the slot punch. Your circle or oval Coluzzle. If you use the smalles channel and only cut through one of the channels creating a semi-circle you can imitate the half circle slot punch. THe cut out portion is just a bit larger than the slot punch but works well. THe other great thing about using the Coluzzle to do this is you can have your semi-circle go in either direction.

Usine the same procedure as the circle, the oval Coluzzle works well also. It gives just a idfferent shape.

Sorry if this ideaa has been posted already. I tried searching and found no mention of it.

My Gallery
Old 09-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #426
Die Cut Diva

Love this idea!
Old 09-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #427
Compulsive Stamper

This is a great thread. My tips are very close to some.

I use the Rubbermaid rectangular containers to store my EP and have labeled each one with a P-Touch. I didn't like keeping the dipper spoons in the container with the EP, too messy for me, so I have a container dedicated just for the dippers. Which BTW... you can get at Baskin Robbins. I have some of the little pink plastic sampler spoons and I have a few regular plastic spoons.

I use scrap paper under my work, i.e., if I print something from the Internet, you know how sometimes you get that one extra page that prints with only the name of the website, etc. I save those in a folder so I don't waste "new" paper.

When gluing with a glue stick (I prefer Snail, but hey sometimes glue stick is called for), I use an old Penney's catalog as the scrap underneath, then I can just tear off the page and toss it.

I too use the paint pad refills found at Target/Wal-Mart. I don't mount them on anything though. I use them to clean off the BG stamps and Craft/pigment ink. The flexibility makes it easy to clean the BG stamps and I don't like getting Craft ink in my scrubber pad.

I too stamp each image of my stamp sets on a plain piece of paper and keep in a 3-ring binder. I tried photocoping the image sheets from new sets, but didn't like that. In fact, I use Going Gray to stamp the images, as to me, it is easier on the eyes. Anyway, at the top of each page, in addition to writing the name of the stamp set, I write WHERE that set can be found. I have my stamps organized by Sayings, Alphabets, Holidays, and then alphabetically by the size of the stamp container. So, if I were looking for say, Looks Like Spring, it would say A2, meaning shelf A, second column of stamps. (Yeah, I know...) LOL

Seeing as I love to WC and I do have a collection of WC brushes, I have mine right at hand in a toothbrush holder. (The kind with a bigger hole and several smaller holes). The brushes are organized in each hole according to company, size, whatever.

And now for my favorite tip of all. This is actually for scrappers. I don't know about you, but it used to take me literally days to figure out a LO.. But now, not only do I use BH Sketchbooks, but I made CS templates of different size photos. That way, before I waste ink printing them out, I take the templates, mix and match sizes to see what will fit on the page and where. Granted BH 2 has the photo sizes marked in the book, but the first one does not and sometimes I change the sketch a bit. I actually got this idea from an ad in CK Mag a while ago. They were plastic templates of different sizes and they wanted like $30 for the kit. I figured I could make my own out of the TONS of CS that I have. I also used different colors of CS for the different size templates. Not only a time saver, but saves on printing!

My avatar is Hobo.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:26 PM   #428
Stazon Splitcoast

my favorite tip? that's easy....and it starts like this, "oh honey, made a boo boo? it's ok, that's why God made two sides to every sheet of cardstock!"

Jan
Old 09-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #429
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocForHelp
Polyshrink Plastic- here are three hints that made it work out better...

Hint 2- let the ink dry (an hour) before trying to cut out the image.

3rd Hint- don't bother cooking the polyshrink in an oven- hold it down to a aluminum foil covered board with a pair of tweezers (don't let go) and then hit it with the heat of the heat embossing gun until it squiggles around and shrinks and finally will lay flat on the table. To keep it totally flat. Quickly tap it with something like the bottom of a coffee cup or a piece of wood right after it's shrunk.
These are great tips! I generally use StazOn to stamp on shrinkie because I have no patient but if using craft inks I have learned to JUST WALK AWAY and let it dry before messing with it however a cool trick is to leave in on the kitchen table under the ceiling fan going at mach speed, that helps a lot!

Also easy to use colored pencils on shrinkie...color lightly, the depth of color will intensify when it shrinks. Darker colors don't work well, they do turn very dark, almost black when shrunk.

Jan
Old 09-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #430
Stazon Splitcoast

[

I use a sharpie marker on an Avery label (cut to size) to place on the end of the stamp containers with the stamp set name so it is very plain to see.

This is a wonderful tip! Someone shared a print out list of stamp set names with me a year or so ago so I printed out the names of all the sets I have. What a blessing to be able to actually read the names on the sets easily...that small black print on clear plastic just doesn't cut it for these rapidly aging eyes, even with my bifocal contacts! lol!

Also, locally at our newspaper office. They sell rolls of newspaper that are *short* on paper for like $2.00. When I say short on paper I mean, there is still so much there that it takes forever to use it all. Good to cover your stampin area with and great for kids to doodle on, and they LOVE tracing each other on it.

I love those newsprint stubs...used to get them all the time at our local newspaper office, until they "upgraded" their system to another one which apparently is able to use all of the paper to the very end. Now, no more paper stubs...boo hoo! But I use the SU grid paper....I use it over and over until it gets sticky or gummy and like having the measurements on the bottom and sides so I can quickly check sizes. Jan
Also my upline orders Tombow Adhesive refills through Viking in bulk and divides it up and it ends up being like under $2 each!!
Old 09-30-2006, 08:38 PM   #431
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by myangels
I too stamp each image of my stamp sets on a plain piece of paper and keep in a 3-ring binder. I tried photocoping the image sheets from new sets, but didn't like that. In fact, I use Going Gray to stamp the images, as to me, it is easier on the eyes. Anyway, at the top of each page, in addition to writing the name of the stamp set, I write WHERE that set can be found. I have my stamps organized by Sayings, Alphabets, Holidays, and then alphabetically by the size of the stamp container. So, if I were looking for say, Looks Like Spring, it would say A2, meaning shelf A, second column of stamps. (Yeah, I know...) LOL
I love your idea of writing the location of your stamp on the sheet. I also write on the sheet, what year's Catalog I bought it from and the page #, in case I want some ideas on making cards with that stamp set. I also write the price I paid for it, in case I decide to sell the stamp set at a future date.

LM

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #432
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkerzaway
[Someone shared a print out list of stamp set names with me a year or so ago so I printed out the names of all the sets I have.
Is there any chance you still have this list and I could get it from you?

LM

Psa. 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #433
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile what's BH?

It's either too late or I am a little daft.. what's BH?

Quote:

Originally Posted by myangels
And now for my favorite tip of all. This is actually for scrappers. I don't know about you, but it used to take me literally days to figure out a LO.. But now, not only do I use BH Sketchbooks, but I made CS templates of different size photos. That way, before I waste ink printing them out, I take the templates, mix and match sizes to see what will fit on the page and where. Granted BH 2 has the photo sizes marked in the book, but the first one does not and sometimes I change the sketch a bit. I actually got this idea from an ad in CK Mag a while ago. They were plastic templates of different sizes and they wanted like $30 for the kit. I figured I could make my own out of the TONS of CS that I have. I also used different colors of CS for the different size templates. Not only a time saver, but saves on printing!
Old 10-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #434
Crimping Master

BH = Becky Higgins from Creating Keepsakes magazine

My Gallery
Old 10-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #435
Cardstock Collector

This is a question for Kimberly - MyAngels-Rubber Obsessor. You used terms I don't know. I am new to stamping. You said you use BH and BH Sketchbooks for layouts. I don't know what they are or where to get them.
Also you mentioned CS templets, tons of CS, and CK mag. I would really appreciate if you have time to explain these terms. Thanks, Judy D
Old 10-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #436

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judy D
This is a question for Kimberly - MyAngels-Rubber Obsessor. You used terms I don't know. I am new to stamping. You said you use BH and BH Sketchbooks for layouts. I don't know what they are or where to get them.
Also you mentioned CS templets, tons of CS, and CK mag. I would really appreciate if you have time to explain these terms. Thanks, Judy D

You'll find that there are tons of acronymns on SCS!! Here's a great link to find out the meanings of many of these : Acronymns on SCS

BH --> Becky Higgins
BH Sketchbook --> Becky Higgin sketchbooks
CS--> cardstock
CK --> Creating Keepsakes magazine

Hopefully this helps!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #437
Forum Fanatic

The best tool holder that I've gotten is an artists holder. It's black, round and there are flat areas at the bottom (for setting my embossing powder, glitter, etc.) then there are rows of holes going around it & graduating to the top. About 3 or 4 rows I believe. Then in the top is a big X. In those 4 holes I keep my scissors, ruler, Kai scissors, etc. It comes in a box & I found it at Michaels. Everyone told me about the PC one but I did't like all the deep sections. This one is much more to my liking. I used to carry it to workshops & had everything at my finger tips. JMO

Carol
Old 10-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #438
Matboard Maniac

subbing
Pray Until Something Happens
My Stuff
My Avatar is my DD!!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #439
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Organization- eyelets + punched flowers

I just took pics of the little pill boxes I use for my eyelets and punched flowers... Thought I'd post them here to inspire any eyes who are seeking....
Attached Thumbnails
organized-eyelets.jpg   organized-punched-flowers.jpg  
Old 11-08-2006, 04:41 AM   #440
Rubber Obsessor

To avoid the 'shiny' on your cs from using a bone folder, put a piece of paper over the cs before you use the bone folder. I do this and it works great. I was working on a project the other day and did this to see if it would work. What do know, it did.

I saw a post the other day where someone was asking this question, but I dont know where it was, but its a tip so I posted it here.

Angel