Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Experience Buying "Kits?"

I've noticed that more vendors are offering "kits" of products. What is your experience? Are they worth it? Does it spur or stifle your creativity? Good buy or is it cheaper to buy the items individually? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested to know also the opinions of others on kits currently available.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Well, the only kit I have ever ordered was when I placed my first SU! order at a workshop, and I ordered one of the Simply Sent card kits. I loved it because it gave me a straight up design to follow, and it had all the pieces. Plus I have the stamp set which I still love. I think I may order some of these when they go on promotion in October at 20% off, for Christmas gifts...

Not sure if this is the type of product you were thinking of, however.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Of the the kits I have seen...I think that they woul dbe awesome to purchase if they were soemthing that worked for me....such as scrapbooking kits....I have seen baby ones...which If I wanted to do a book for someone having a baby that would be perfect...it can't get much easier than having everything there in one place. And I have seen many other kist for scrapbooking as well. I say if you like the theme and the pieces in the kit you will use them and go for it!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Sorry about the type O's I have got to learn to proof read! I can spell---I just can't type worth diddlee squat!

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I like Scrapbook kits. Its nice having everything match.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 03:57 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan, I think the main thing that would hold me back would be if it was one of those automatic clubs where they just send one every month. If I don't care for the theme, I've just spent $50ish on something I'll never use! Still, if it's a thing where I can see what I'm getting, I'd be more comfortable.

As for value...I guess that depends on the buyer, lol! If one is really struggling with the whole concept of putting colors together, or just with design philosophy, it might have more value to get something that takes care of all that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I have ordered a lot of kits over the years. and I've loved them because everything is coordinated and comes in one package.. I don't have to shop in a crowded store and look in 3 aisles for matching items..

The value of the kit really depends on what kits you buy. I don't buy a kit unless the company advertises the retail value along with their price they are selling for. That gives me an idea of how much I'm really getting.. Also, I look for cheap shipping. And one last thing I look for is a kit club that's not too big because that usually means you'll get better customer service.. It's kinda like one on one with the "teacher" type thing. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I get two different company's kits for scrapbooking every month. I like it because it's a surprise in the mail (kind of like a present) so it's fun for me. I doubt it's much of a deal $ wise by the time I pay the shipping, but I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I agree about the suprise. I like a good suprise too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MhewettView Post
I get two different company's kits for scrapbooking every month. I like it because it's a surprise in the mail (kind of like a present) so it's fun for me. I doubt it's much of a deal $ wise by the time I pay the shipping, but I enjoy it.
Can I ask where you buy from?

I started with Club Scrap in July, and I'm really enjoying it. While I was a bit iffy on the colors of the first kit, I found that they worked well with many pictures. They're sort of summer sun, purely pomagranate, only orange, khaki and black.

So far, the kits are not something I would have picked up on my own, but they coordinate well, have great accessories, and are a very good value. I think they run about $36 shipped, and you get 12-13 layouts, with enough for extras on your own, and there's sometimes a side project too. August's kit has a bookbinding project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 05:48 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have found kits in AC Moore and Michael's on clearance for around $5.00. Themes like birthdays, mother's day, etc. They are two-page layouts, with things like shaker boxes, ribbons, hidden journaling tags, etc for embellishments. No stickers or rubons in the kits I got, but all I had to do was add pictures and write some journaling on the areas provided. Worked out great for me!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't really care that much for paper crafting kits. I usually only like a few items from any particular kit so it seems like a waste of money to me. And with the scrapping kits, it's the stickers that bother me. I'm just not a sticker kind of gal. But I'll go for other types of kits - like for kid's projects.

mother of two stampers: Breana (1 and Nicolas (15)
my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I used to get kits, in fact club scrap and several others. I found I never used the stuff. So I no longer do it. I also don't like being obligated to spend money every month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I really like coordinated kits. You can usually make way more stuff with them if you mix in your own stuff. It is nice the have embelishments that go. No hunting for just the right something. Value wise totally depends on the kit itself. It seems like the scrappin kits from SU have a lot of stuff in them.

Buy a couple kits and see what you think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #16  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

I get a scrapping kit from www.scrap-room.com . It is a monthly thing, but you have 3 days to decide if you want that month's kit or not. If you don't want it, just email them and they wont send it. I really like the kits, they have coordinated paper and cardstock and matching accessories. Lots of times it's stuff I never would have tried, but love it once I get my hands on it. They also have a great MB!!

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I love kits, especially the scrappin ones! I haven't tried the card kits yet, but I am not a beginning stamper and don't really need them. I think they would make terrific gifts, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Phunkymama asked where I buy from but I'm computer challenged and don't know how to quote someone yet....

Anyway, I get a monthly kit from personalscrapper.com which is $25 including the shipping. I like that one for a small, inspiring one.
I also get a monthly kit from Backporchmemories.com. That one has a lot of options as far as a clear stamp set you can add on or embellishments, etc. I get the 3 mini kits but you could also get one big one. I've been happy with them, too

I did Clubscrap for a few years awhile back. Love their paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 09:22 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I tried the card making (stamping) kits from Addicted to rubber stamps. The first one was a Valentine kit and I loved it but after that they went downhill.

The 2nd & 3rd kits I rec'd looked like they were trying to get rid of inventory they couldn't sell. They included odd ball items like fabric stencils in the stamping kits and a lot of scrapbooking embellishments which didn't work well for cards. I felt they were misrepresenting the kits as stamping kits when most included only a couple very small stamps. I cancelled after the 3rd. kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

I just got a CTMH cattie, and there are some card making kits that look really cute. I especially like the purse card one. I could see buying it to give as a gift....

The only kits I have purchased are those 10,000 piece scrapping kits- where
9,999 are crappy. lol.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm on a design team for a kit company. I find it's easier to work with kits as you've got everything there that co-ordinates. Sometimes you'll buy something otherwise that you think that goes and it's a slightly different pink etc and you can't use it. I've been more inspired to make cards since working on a DT with kits too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 06:19 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would have to be a great kit to justify spending $25. or MORE plus shipping
in my opinion. I do like to use color co-ordinated designer paper packs, they are adding tags and paper embellishments with these packs also, (basic Grey, K & Co. etc)and the key for me-if I have a craft 40% off coupon that I'm able to use at competitors, I head straight for those kits. Have not bought any scrapbook kits yet. Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I love scrapbook kits since everything come coordinating. I currently subscribe to 3 monthly kits. There are so many different clubs out there. I suggest going to Willow Traders forum to check out the list of clubs. Look at the different clubs current kit and previous kits and see if it is your style. I like kits that do not have alterable items since I don�t� do that kind of thing yet. I also prefer clubs that give 2 of each paper. I don�t like stickers or girly girly stuff like crocheted butterflies and tons of flowers so I tend to avoid clubs that regularly have that stuff. I love Thickers though. I currently sub to Simply Obsessed, Personal Scrapper and Paper Popsicles. After my subs are up I think I�m going to just stick with one. Right now I�m leaning toward Personal Scrapper She only supplies 1 of each patterned paper, but I love her style and coordination so far. I don�t go through them fast enough so my kits are piling up. I think it is also important for the club to have a gallery of ideas for the stuff in the kit.
Reply With Quote Likes