In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Up in the 208 - Holla!
Posts: 2,140
Default ETSY - how do you mail your cards?

I was thinking of dabbling in the world of ETSY for some of my cards. No - my cards aren't fantastic, but there's a market for everything, is there not? *giggles* My question is - how do you mail cards to people that purchase them without destroying all the pretty embellies and bows on them....and not jacking up the shipping? I can't imagine paying the same if not more for shipping on anything. I put a lot of stuff on my cards, that's my style...I reckon I could bubble wrap and something...not sure what the easiest, cheapest way to ship these would be. TIA for your input.
__________________
mearsfansinboise is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Embossing Fanatic
 
Renatasawh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uxbridge ON Canada
Posts: 57
Default

I sell my cards and the best way I package them is using tissue paper. First I get a box that will be a perfect fit. So if I have 40 cards I am mailing out then I buy a box from the post office that is approved for shipping(usually corrugated and good quality). I buy it just big enough to fit 40 cards with only a smally amount of room. I then take tissue paper because it weighs next to nothing and wrap the delicate cards. Between the layers of cards I also put tissue paper. It gives it that hold but cushions it and won't wreck the cards. The best advice I can give is to pack tightly but cushiony. I hope that helps.
Renatasawh is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Up in the 208 - Holla!
Posts: 2,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatasawh View Post
I sell my cards and the best way I package them is using tissue paper. First I get a box that will be a perfect fit. So if I have 40 cards I am mailing out then I buy a box from the post office that is approved for shipping(usually corrugated and good quality). I buy it just big enough to fit 40 cards with only a smally amount of room. I then take tissue paper because it weighs next to nothing and wrap the delicate cards. Between the layers of cards I also put tissue paper. It gives it that hold but cushions it and won't wreck the cards. The best advice I can give is to pack tightly but cushiony. I hope that helps.

Mine will probably be one at a time though.....so I need the easiest way to ship ONE card with lots of *stuff* on it so that it gets to the buyer in the best possible condition...and affordably - KWIM?
__________________
mearsfansinboise is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,169
Default

I simply put them in a ziploc and mail them in a regular envelope; but mine do not have any heavy embellishments like metal charms, etc. At the max they would have brads/eyelets/ribbons/pop-dots.
__________________
My Blog: Ribbons,etc.
smriti is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Hardware Hotshot
 
Ellibelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US--midwest
Posts: 4,202
Default

When I sell cards, I place them in a ziploc baggie and a padded envelope with a sheet of cardboard inside too so they wouldn't get bent. Never had any complaints.
__________________
Ellibelle's Creative Moments My Blog
Ellibelle's Corner My Etsy Shop
Ellibelle is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Pearl-ExPert
 
phunkymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly suburbia
Posts: 2,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellibelle View Post
When I sell cards, I place them in a ziploc baggie and a padded envelope with a sheet of cardboard inside too so they wouldn't get bent. Never had any complaints.
I do it the same way except that I use the adhesive lipped card sleeves instead of a baggie.

And IME, people will buy more than one card at a time. I find that people tend to buy a couple in order to minimize shipping.
__________________
Jen

Creative cases for your tech gadgets!
phunkymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
ilinacrouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 1,480
Default

What I do is, put it in clear envelope, with the regular envelope and usually Dollar Tree sells smaller bubble wrap envelopes, they come 2 in package for $1. So I mail it like that. I haven't had any problems so far. And of course I put DO NOT BEND on the envelope.
As well for the price, I put one price which includes shipping.
good luck!
__________________
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
visit my blog
ilinacrouse is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Embossing Fanatic
 
Renatasawh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uxbridge ON Canada
Posts: 57
Default

I do the same with one card. I put it in a bubble envelope which I get at my local post office and put it between 2 pieces of cardboard. That way it won't bend or indent with because of the emblishments.
Renatasawh is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Up in the 208 - Holla!
Posts: 2,140
Default

Inbetween cardboard.....and bubble mailer....OK...so I need to figure that into my cost then.... This totally helps -thanks all!
__________________
mearsfansinboise is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Pearl-ExPert
 
phunkymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly suburbia
Posts: 2,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilinacrouse View Post
As well for the price, I put one price which includes shipping.
good luck!
This may be trivial, but I don't do "shipping included" listings. I find that they don't really increase my sales, but they DO DEcrease my profits. Etsy (or FeeBay) charges their fee based on the sale, but not the shipping you charge after the sale. So you're paying more in fees than you would if you charged a separate item cost and shipping cost.

I'm not out to make a profit on my shipping--I weigh my items with packaging, and then I have an accurate charge to add when I make my listings. Etsy is great with having a "shipped with another item" box, so that you can easily add smaller shipping charges for customers who buy multiple items from you.
phunkymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Up in the 208 - Holla!
Posts: 2,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkymama View Post
This may be trivial, but I don't do "shipping included" listings. I find that they don't really increase my sales, but they DO DEcrease my profits. Etsy (or FeeBay) charges their fee based on the sale, but not the shipping you charge after the sale. So you're paying more in fees than you would if you charged a separate item cost and shipping cost.

I'm not out to make a profit on my shipping--I weigh my items with packaging, and then I have an accurate charge to add when I make my listings. Etsy is great with having a "shipped with another item" box, so that you can easily add smaller shipping charges for customers who buy multiple items from you.
Oooo - good info there....thanks!
__________________
mearsfansinboise is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Pearl-ExPert
 
phunkymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly suburbia
Posts: 2,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearsfansinboise View Post
Oooo - good info there....thanks!
Just took a peek at your blog--your photography is great. Love the card propped up on the flower frog! That will make you stand out at Etsy, just make sure you plan ahead and crop at least your first image so that it looks great square.
phunkymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Up in the 208 - Holla!
Posts: 2,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkymama View Post
Just took a peek at your blog--your photography is great. Love the card propped up on the flower frog! That will make you stand out at Etsy, just make sure you plan ahead and crop at least your first image so that it looks great square.
So my image should be more square than a vertical rectangle....? Got it. And where do I get cardboard - is it cheap?
__________________
mearsfansinboise is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
Polyshrink Goddess
 
LisaEDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Taylorsville, NC, USA
Posts: 713
Default

I looked at your blog too. Your cards are beautiful. I have no shipping advise but I wish you the best of luck. I think your cards will sell.
__________________
http://lisae-design.blogspot.com
"You can never have enough paper or fabric."
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/LisaEDesign
LisaEDesign is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
Pearl-ExPert
 
phunkymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philly suburbia
Posts: 2,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mearsfansinboise View Post
So my image should be more square than a vertical rectangle....? Got it. And where do I get cardboard - is it cheap?
Your main listing image is always cropped square, so it's better if you do it than the 'bots. In your listing, browsers can click on any of your thumbnails to get the full image.

I always just recycle cardboard from cereal, pasta, granola bar, etc. boxes. Nobody has complained yet!
phunkymama is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: sunny southwest
Posts: 2,621
Default

I put each card/envelope in a clear envelope with a piece of chipboard cut to size and slipped in also. I then put it in a 6 x 9 manila envelope (not bubble) and send it off. FYI, I charge $1.00 for the first card and .75 for each additional. I have never had a single complaint about damage to cards! Good luck in your venture!

ETA: I should say that after looking at your cards, I don't have quite as many "lumpy" embellies so you so you may have to pad them a little better...your cards are darling, btw!
__________________
Terri
tdodd00 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off