Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Envelope Liners - Your Thoughts?

Love the idea of a lined envelope - it's just luxurious. But... does it really make sense?

I've noticed several companies have come out with envelope liners (dies, kits, e.g.), maybe it's a trend.

On the surface, it seems like a great idea, but other than adding bulk, what does it really do? I mean, most of us cut/tear open an envelope on the top edge, right? So who gets to enjoy the extra effort of a liner - it's pretty much inside where no one will look, right? Or maybe I'm wrong. Will envelope liners be noticed and appreciated?

I have an order for some engagement party invites, and I was thinking about adding this feature, but now I'm not sure. The person who placed the order might appreciate it, but the end recipient? And what if it increases postage through bulk and weight?

Just interested in everyone else's thoughts. Good idea? Non event? Do you like them? Think they're a waste? What?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

I think it is a good idea for your engagement party invites and would be good for wedding cards. I probably wouldn't use them for all cards, though I'm sure it would be very nice. I have to check on that as I am a sucker for pretty.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I've had the same thought you have - the person sending the card will notice, but will the recipient? One advantage to lining the envelope, however, is that it likely protects the card a bit more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 07:02 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh. It does nothing for me. It looks like extra work no one will notice. We often do extra work because it is the right thing to do, but in this case, I will pass.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a liner die, a solid one, so you don’t get those funny little indented edges all around like with open dies. I have a bunch of solid colored and plaid lightweight paper laying around that I will use up. It’s kind of a nice touch if you are into that sort of thing. Maybe it goes along with some of the decorated envelopes I’m seeing. I didn’t get the one that is in the kit this month (Papertrey Ink) I got the solid die they introduced years ago. The die was 18. I don’t have the time to decorate envelopes with stamping or calligraphy but this just takes a second. The one I bought fits well in the Papertrey envelopes. I buy their envelopes because they are decent quality and cheap. I’ve always liked receiving wedding invitations and commercial cards with those liners, just something a little special.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the idea of it, and I'd notice if someone sent me a lined envelope. If I ever did decide to do it, it would just be because I liked the way it looked. Really, most of the people I send cards to probably don't notice most of the things on my cards that I think are the best bits. Not their fault. They just don't know what goes into making a card. Face it, we are our own best audience and we're already doing something labor intensive not in order to save money or achieve recognition (no Pulitzer Prizes for cards), but because we love doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

Now that I've done some searches and looked around at the liners, I am a yes. I would use them and if I got mail with them, I would definitely notice.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I made and adhered envelopes liners for a customer order as a surprise for her order of St. Patrick's Day cards and she LOVED them. It was a welcome surprise and she just loved how it brought the whole card together. The patterned paper I used matched a piece of the paper I had on the card and she said the attention to detail was well received! She always has me put liners in her orders now.

I personally always notice if there is a liner in cards I receive. I love love love when they have it! You know someone took the care and love to add this special touch. But I'm also a card maker! So I am biased. But most of my friends and family know i make cards so they would notice a liner, but for general people, I'm not so sure.

For an engagement party - I would absolutely do it! It's such a sweet touch for special cards. And even if the end recipient doesn't notice it, the woman you are making these cards for will likely love the extra touch to her invitations. And that's really what matters
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I like them and I definitely notice them. Even before I started making cards.

You happened to mention something in particular though that rang the bell for me. Wedding stationary. The usually formal and most fancy (not counting invites to grand events) of cards. I would definitely put them in those. IMHO, I expect those to be more substantial in the hand including the envie.

Are you making matching envies or using pre-made? Both are fine, just asking. A liner would boost a pre-made envie. It could be very clean like a shimmer paper that matches the envelope. So it is subtle. Or if the theme is playful then a fun pattern.

Also once you get into custom orders...it is about what the client wants/impressing them and you sound like they would like it.

I dont know how big the order is. 50 or 150. In the end it is up to you how much time you have and work you want to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with those who have mentioned what a lovely touch liners are for anything wedding-related. Having said that, I think the first consideration needs to be if it will increase the postage, because that has to be okay with the client. Have fun with your project, with or without the liners!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Meh, I figure they will open the top of the card (not the flap) and will not see it. AND if you use a die to cut the inserts you are stuck to that size card/envelope. I like my WRMK envelope maker and use it to make envelopes and out the printed paper side on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the look for formal invitations but it general it's a waste. I do the same as southgirl so I have printed paper inside and it's a way for me to use up the paper I don't really like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I make lots of sets of personalized note cards for gifts, especially at Christmas. I always make lined envelopes to match the notes. I use premade envelopes, and the liners add a special touch.

The person receiving the note cards gets to see the pretty liner when they use the notes, and they always ooh and ahh when they open their gift. And, you are right - the liners aren't often noticed once the cards are sent. But the person sending the card and putting it in the envelope gets to enjoy it!

I don't use a die because a liner is basically just a rectangle cut to fit, with the corners lopped off to fit on the envelope flap. I've made a simple template and use my paper cutter for the rectangles, and then hand trim the top corners to fit the envelope flap. Takes very little time and looks very impressive.

Here's a pretty good tutorial to give you the general idea:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 10:01 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Who cares about the recipient? ; ) I love lining envelopes. That said, my fave A2 envelopes have a rounded flap, and I haven't figured out the most efficient way to make liners for those. Maybe die cut with part of a circle die.

And Maryalena may I ask which die did you are using?

ETA - just watched Bugga's video. Perfect for my roundish envelope flaps! Thank you, Bugga.

Last edited by bjeans; 11-18-2017 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: ETA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Who cares about the recipient? ; ) I love lining envelopes. That said, my fave A2 envelopes have a rounded flap, and I haven't figured out the most efficient way to make liners for those. Maybe die cut with part of a circle die.

ETA - just watched Bugga's video. Perfect for my roundish envelope flaps! Thank you, Bugga.
You cracked me up with this!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I love the idea of it, and I'd notice if someone sent me a lined envelope. If I ever did decide to do it, it would just be because I liked the way it looked. Really, most of the people I send cards to probably don't notice most of the things on my cards that I think are the best bits. Not their fault. They just don't know what goes into making a card. Face it, we are our own best audience and we're already doing something labor intensive not in order to save money or achieve recognition (no Pulitzer Prizes for cards), but because we love doing it.
Ha! Love that.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really, isn't it kind of lovely that we can be so engaged in a conversation about envelope liners? Or sequin storage? There is so much terrible mischief being made in this world, and here we are, earnestly and happily debating the pros and cons and ways and means of beautifying an envelope. So that someone else can be delighted by it.

Just saying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Really, isn't it kind of lovely that we can be so engaged in a conversation about envelope liners? Or sequin storage? There is so much terrible mischief being made in this world, and here we are, earnestly and happily debating the pros and cons and ways and means of beautifying an envelope. So that someone else can be delighted by it.

Just saying.
Wonderful words, Rachel. I agree wholeheartedly with you. I make and send cards because I want to send people a "smile" in the mail.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Just saying.
You're implying that envelope liners are not a critical world issue?! :eek:

(Yes, it is delightful, both the conversations - in contrast to extremely heavy issues - and the intent that someone might be delighted by the paper we craft, at least for a moment.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2017, 01:09 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Bjeans I bought the Papertreyink envelope liner, the solid one. Since I buy their cardstock and envelopes I knew it would fit. I imagine it fits others. They did an envelope liner kit this month but I didn’t need all that extra stuff that came with the die. I’ll look around and see who else makes those dies. I’m guessing SSS. Haven’t tried making a liner for my handmade scoreboard type envelopes. That might be too daunting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2017, 03:06 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Mary, I also saw their liner kit - so nice, but made myself pass. The method from the video Bugga posted should work for any envelope. But in order not to have to make two "scoreboarded" envelopes and ruin one as a liner template, since the handmade envelope is flat (before adhesive is added), tracing around it and cutting inside the traced lines should make a good liner. Or tracing around it and with a ruler, marking where you want to cut first. It's basically following the video method with a twist.

Some cards I make want liners; others don't care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Mary, I also saw their liner kit - so nice, but made myself pass. The method from the video Bugga posted should work for any envelope. But in order not to have to make two "scoreboarded" envelopes and ruin one as a liner template, since the handmade envelope is flat (before adhesive is added), tracing around it and cutting inside the traced lines should make a good liner. Or tracing around it and with a ruler, marking where you want to cut first. It's basically following the video method with a twist.

Some cards I make want liners; others don't care.
Yes, I just make my template by using my ruler for the sides and the top to bottom measurements, then trace the envelope flap on the top part. It takes very little time to trim for the flap.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

I’ll have time to take another lookie at the video. Sometimes I need an off size envelope. SSS had a liner set but it was a lot of extra cuts that I wouldn’t want. Altenew had one that matches their envelopes and looks like it goes deeper into the body of the envelope. WPlus9 also had one that matches their envelopes. Think I’ll just stick with the papertrey die and learn to make some for the oddball envelopes. Thanks for the video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

This is the die from Papertrey: https://www.papertreyink.com/pti-die...ope-liner-die/

I don't have this one, so I can't say for sure, but this is a solid die, one of Papertrey's older ones. And on some of their older dies, the score lines are fairly wide; the score lines end up cutting through the paper, not just scoring it. Their older favor boxes were like this; I ended up selling all my PTI dies that had a score line for this reason.

Again, I don't know this for sure about the liner die; maybe Maryelena can shed further light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I make my own and it's a good way to get rid of some 'fugly' dp:mrgreen:8-):lol::lol: that I had to have when I bought it and I spent years asking myself 'WHY'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

The PTI solid envelope liner die is not one of those that cuts on the score line, at least not on lighter paper. I haven’t used it with cardstock though. I’ll test it out although I prefer a lighter liner. Other than this one I haven’t bought their stamps or dies for awhile. This die does look different than their earlier ones, lighter weight with a different color finish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 12:29 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This weekend i was at Hobby Lobby and used a 50% off coupon a bought a liner set by Sizzix. It has the scallop top to the liner that is just so adorable! I haven't tried them just yet but will this weekend when I make my belated thanksgiving cards. Or is it still fall? Maybe I could still use that theme instead of happy late thanksgiving, lol. I had bought the Lawn Fawn pumpkin spice latte and dies to make fall cards and never had a chance to. And now we've had snow here in Chicago off and on, so it feels a bit like Fall is behind us even if the calendar says itn't. But it just occurred to me, the type of the envelope flap will matter with these dies because they are a straight cut. A lot of envies are a triangle flap. One thing I always do is buy heavy weight / high quality envelopes for the cards I personally send out. ( Card orders & stamp camps get the cheaper SU type ones) I have to check the shape!!! Aughhh!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 01:51 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Papersource sells a nice set of envelope templates to trace and cut out with scissors. There are a bunch of useful sizes. They also sell a set of liner templates, but if you have the envelope templates, you can use them for liners, too just by cutting the liner out a bit smaller, and leaving the flaps off. I don't make a lot of envelopes, so the price for the templates was good, and I don't have to worry about them fitting in my die cutter. (Although i confess some of the envelope dies are definitely tempting.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 05:27 AM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer to use (and make) envelope liners. The cards I make for family and friends, special occasions, sad occasions, and no reason at all occasions are my way of showing "love on paper". They are original pieces for special people and are so worthy of an envelope liner. Its a "classy" element added the piece. This year I made around 60 holiday cards and every one has a liner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by psmillerView Post
I prefer to use (and make) envelope liners. The cards I make for family and friends, special occasions, sad occasions, and no reason at all occasions are my way of showing "love on paper". They are original pieces for special people and are so worthy of an envelope liner. Its a "classy" element added the piece. This year I made around 60 holiday cards and every one has a liner.
Great phrase (love on paper).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

I've noticed some people using DP on the outside flap of the envelope. Haven't done it yet but I think it really dresses up an envelope.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Great idea too. Anything to fancy up the plain envelope is worth the time...after all, first impressions are everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default envelope liners

I just thought I would put in print what a lot of others are probably thinking:
Instead of sealing the envelope shut on the inside, you could use the old fashioned method of using sealing wax or a sticker on the outside of the flap overlapping down onto the base of the envelope. This might not be the best for mailed cards as the not sealed part of the flap might catch on something along the way. But great for hand delivered ones. I like to put a punched out shape, a flower, or a trinket on the center back even if I seal the envelope all the way closed. Another way would be to fashion a zipper opening using washi or other tape across the flap with dental floss embedded down the middle as the "tearer" with a trinket as the zipper pull to tear through the tape. Or another way would be to perforate the tape down the middle of the tape so it tears apart easily. Or yet another way would be to use re-positional glue to glue the envelope shut. It would open without tearing...but would the recipient know???...maybe a "open here" to prompt. The flap would open revealing the accent liner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Another thing I just thought of was: if hand cutting the liner don't forget to pull out those forgotten decorative edge scissors to dress up the edge or use an edge punch or edge die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #35  
Compulsive Stamper

Great ideas!!!!! A festive envelope is just the prelude of the special item inside. Several ideas here that I had not thought of...thanks for that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I must still be out of it from eating too much turkey...

When I saw this in the Weekly Inkling
Envelope preference
To line or not to line?
I was thinking lines on the outside of the envelope for writing the address!

I clicked thru to the forum and thought "duh, me". :?

I do not line my envelopes. I figure it would rarely be noticed. I make my envelopes with dp, pattern on the outside, and make sure each one matches or coordinates with the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Just saying.
Amen to that! Reminds me of a pin I saw recently of (yet another) protest. Lots of people were carrying their protest posters around and, in the foreground, was a girl whose poster read "But a lot of things are going pretty well." (or something to that effect).

Thx, all for your thoughts on such a weighty issue. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes