In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Default Embossing Diffuser

Good morning 😃
Have any of you used the embossing diffusers? What do you think of them? I bought a set and really like them. They allow you to leave an open space for a stamped image or sentiment. I am going to try and see if I can use them with dies to cut just a portion of a background. Here is an example using an embossing folder:


kmt1000 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
sprtchick, jukie, DCinkit and 8 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Texarkana, Texas
Posts: 631
Default

I have a set but haven't used it in any thing other than to experiment with it the first time I got it. Let me know who the die cutting works. I may drag them out and try again. That is a cute card.
southgirl is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
kmt1000 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 262
Default

I've used mine several times and like them. Only problem I've had it that it shoots out of the Big Shot fast and I have to catch it before it lands on the floor.
basketdiva is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
muscrat, kmt1000, PikkuLilla and 1 others like this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator
 
Cook22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 81,782
Default

Depending on how much of a die you want to cut, you can do partial die-cutting without a diffuser - which I think might add too much bulk.

Partial Die Cutting Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers


I've used this to cut part of scenery dies, though it might take positioning it all the edge of the cutting plate twice to achieve the look I want sometimes.
Cook22 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
wavejumper likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
Depending on how much of a die you want to cut, you can do partial die-cutting without a diffuser - which I think might add too much bulk.

Partial Die Cutting Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers


I've used this to cut part of scenery dies, though it might take positioning it all the edge of the cutting plate twice to achieve the look I want sometimes.
A diffuser leaves a blank space. It is not used for any die cutting.
basketdiva is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9,129
Default

Depending on the die....couldnt one just cut an opening with scissors? Or use a circle (any shape)) die on the die cut to make an opening?
wavejumper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #7
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Palette icon Dies and diffusers

What I meant by using a diffuser with a die is to use a background die, say like a honeycomb, and use a round or oval negative from the diffuser set and just be able to cut the design that shape onto a card front. I don't have any background dies yet, but I will try it when I get one. I have the vision, but I haven't brought it to fruition yet! LOL

Kathy
kmt1000 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
shazsilverwolf and PikkuLilla like this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert
 
shazsilverwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Worcestershire, England
Posts: 2,935
Default

kmt1000, I'd had the same thought, but not got around to trying it yet. I can't see any reason why it wont work.
I have them, and did a piece on my blog about them quite a while ago. One thing worth mentioning- the video I watched, the lady used this sandwich mix:A plate, B plate, folder with cardstock, Diffuser, then B plate. My machine would not take this at all, but it went through hers easily. So be aware, you will in all probability need to change your stack around with these in place.
Another thing you may find useful, especially with the inserts from the diffusers- attach them to your stack with some low tack tape. Stops them moving about then.
__________________
silverwolfcards blog
My gallery
shazsilverwolf is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
kmt1000 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 1,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
kmt1000, I'd had the same thought, but not got around to trying it yet. I can't see any reason why it wont work.
I have them, and did a piece on my blog about them quite a while ago. One thing worth mentioning- the video I watched, the lady used this sandwich mix:A plate, B plate, folder with cardstock, Diffuser, then B plate. My machine would not take this at all, but it went through hers easily. So be aware, you will in all probability need to change your stack around with these in place.
Another thing you may find useful, especially with the inserts from the diffusers- attach them to your stack with some low tack tape. Stops them moving about then.
Just came across this. Thank you so much for the blog. I have made my own, but these look so much sturdier. Hope I can get them at HL or Mike's
jeanne3579 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
Just came across this. Thank you so much for the blog. I have made my own, but these look so much sturdier. Hope I can get them at HL or Mike's
I have this set, made by Darice. You get 7 embossing diffusers for a good price. They call them "frames" instead of diffusers.


https://www.consumercrafts.com/store...nPsaAuVG8P8HAQ
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
shazsilverwolf, southgirl and bjeans like this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 1,756
Default

Bug,Thanks for the link. Sure wish I could find it in Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Joanne. Tried Mike's and no such luck. Will be heading home soon and will try HL and Joanne there.
jeanne3579 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #12
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9,129
Default

I dont understand what you want to do...but I look forward to seeing it! That isnt you, I am just visual. I am sure I will go "oh right! ok!" when i see it.


I meant to say I really like the example shown. That particular stamp makes it looks like she is "pushing out" the boundaries of the embossed effect.
wavejumper is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: in roygbiv
Posts: 3,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I have this set, made by Darice. You get 7 embossing diffusers for a good price. They call them "frames" instead of diffusers.


https://www.consumercrafts.com/store...nPsaAuVG8P8HAQ
Oh good - Bugga, I've had this in my Amazon cart for a while but hesitated due responses to a couple of questions and reviews. But if you're satisfied with them, that's good enough for me.

BTW, they're a bit less expensive on Amazon and free shipping if you have Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Darice-EZFRAM...+Frame+Designs
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Oh good - Bugga, I've had this in my Amazon cart for a while but hesitated due responses to a couple of questions and reviews. But if you're satisfied with them, that's good enough for me.

BTW, they're a bit less expensive on Amazon and free shipping if you have Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Darice-EZFRAM...+Frame+Designs
Bjeans, I had not used these frames in a long time, but after your post, I read the reviews on Amazon. Like most reviews, some people seem to love them, and others not so much.


I think sometimes the results depend on your machine. Cuttlebugs seem to vary in the pressure they exert, or maybe how well used they have been. Also the type of card stock used will change the way the embossing looks. Some card stock just embosses better.


I just got the folders out and did a trial run. I still like them, and they seem to work well as far as I'm concerned.


Here is a short video showing how to use them. After embossing, she uses a stylus to go around the shape and define the space a little more.


Darice Easy Frames & Embossing Folders
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
bjeans likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: in roygbiv
Posts: 3,136
Default

Thanks, Bugga. i do have a Cuttlebug. It's brand new, not that my old one had anything wrong with it), and I figure at about $8.00 it's worth a shot. Thanks for the video link!

Beth
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,758
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Thanks, Bugga. i do have a Cuttlebug. It's brand new, not that my old one had anything wrong with it), and I figure at about $8.00 it's worth a shot. Thanks for the video link!

Beth
I'll bet your new Bug will do a great job. Mine does well, and it's about 10 years old! I used the A plate, then the embossing folder with paper in it, then the diffuser, and then the C plate on top. If you wanted deeper embossing, you could use a card stock shim over the C plate.

Also, like she shows in the video, putting the diffuser back on top of the embossed piece after embossing, and then tracing around the inside edge with a stylus gives a lot more definition to the space.

I hadn't used these in a long time, and forgot how much I like this effect.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #17
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 1,756
Default

Dear Bugga, Just watched the video you linked. Learned a lot and since I'm still a Cuttlebug user, I don't even have to think much! Was wondering if you know what the tool she used to apply the pigment ink at the end is called. It looks like a dabber, but it doesn't stick up as much as mine. Think hers would give such better results as the ink would stay on the raised areas rather than getting in the crevasses like mine.
jeanne3579 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #18
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: in roygbiv
Posts: 3,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne3579 View Post
Dear Bugga, Just watched the video you linked. Learned a lot and since I'm still a Cuttlebug user, I don't even have to think much! Was wondering if you know what the tool she used to apply the pigment ink at the end is called. It looks like a dabber, but it doesn't stick up as much as mine. Think hers would give such better results as the ink would stay on the raised areas rather than getting in the crevasses like mine.
Since she's using Darice folders, she may be using these: https://www.amazon.com/Darice-15-Pie.../dp/B002JPY9V0


I have what looks like the same daubers, but haven't used them, and the plastic box they came in doesn't have any identification.
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #19
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: in roygbiv
Posts: 3,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I'll bet your new Bug will do a great job. Mine does well, and it's about 10 years old! I used the A plate, then the embossing folder with paper in it, then the diffuser, and then the C plate on top. If you wanted deeper embossing, you could use a card stock shim over the C plate.

Also, like she shows in the video, putting the diffuser back on top of the embossed piece after embossing, and then tracing around the inside edge with a stylus gives a lot more definition to the space.

I hadn't used these in a long time, and forgot how much I like this effect.
The only reason I got a new 'bug was because I wanted a serenity blue one. Thanks for the sandwich hint! I'm looking forward to the frames. They've been in my "save for later" list for ages.
bjeans is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #20
Mad Swapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 1,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Since she's using Darice folders, she may be using these: https://www.amazon.com/Darice-15-Pie.../dp/B002JPY9V0


I have what looks like the same daubers, but haven't used them, and the plastic box they came in doesn't have any identification.
That looks like them. Thanks so much. I will order them now.
jeanne3579 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off