Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Question Dorky Digital Scrapbooking question...

Ok, I've done some searching and reading around the web about digital scrapbooking and have a very very very basic question...

I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but...

Is "digital scrapbooking" a term used to describe a process of using design software to create a scrapbook page, which can either be (1) printed out on a plain piece of paper using a printer, or (2) burned to a CD, possibly being imported into some sort of slideshow type program for display purposes?

I've used (and in my previous career taught) Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator software. I feel fairly competent in them both, and feel like that using the layering functionality of them would be crucial to good digital scrapbooking.

Do you also have to have some sort of digital scrapbooking software? Can I ask what for? What does it do, that you can't (don't) do in photoshop or illustrator?

Thanks for my obviously dumb questions...

TIA!!
paige

ps. Being a full fledged computer nerd professional, I feel I should be a digital scrapbooker, but it is just not all clicking for me yet, you know??

Give our SCS Team a break...No uploads on Sundays!

Lions and tigers and my blog, oh my!

Visit my site here!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

ever so small bump

Give our SCS Team a break...No uploads on Sundays!

Lions and tigers and my blog, oh my!

Visit my site here!!
Old 04-18-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
The Digi-Freak

I believe whether you print them or not is entirely up to you. Most digiscrappers use either paint shop pro or photoshop.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

from what i understand you can just use adobe with the layers and use someone else's designs, or build your own.
do a forum search on digital scrapbooking, and juliehrr, or pinefeather one listed a bunch of sites with free downloads.
i d/l some, but havent done anything with them yet.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Old 04-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

oh yeah, i read that you can print them in a binded book, like from mypublisher.com
i order their books for family.. rather than scrapping for them.. and the quality is AWESOME in the hard covered linen books.
the paper back books dont have great quality though.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Old 04-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Gabfest Goddess

I do digi scrappin and design digi "papers" and elements too. I use Adobe Photoshop CS for all my design work as well as for the "scrapping". The layers feature is essential to digi scrapping! The only pther feature you really need is the ability to make realistic shadows. It's the addition of shadows that turns a basic LO into a really nice one!

Personally I do not print mine out, but I do make them at 300dpi just in case i would ever want to have them printed. I usually resize the LO's and send them along to family and friends or upload them to a gallery adn send friends there to look at them.

HTH
Old 04-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I'm using Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 and am so tickled that it's all I really need for software. I don't do anything fancy (well, at least, not yet, LOL!)

With the help of some online tutorials and very proficient digi scrappin' friends, I am learning to do some marvelous things, albeit they are very basic skills.

I have to have things rather dumbed down for me, as I'm not well versed in most things computer related . . .

But, I'm sure havin' a BLAST with it, despite still having only basic rudimentary skills at this point!
Old 04-18-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
Dirty Dozen Alumni

All I have to say is that no question is too dorky

EVeryone pretty much covered your questions but I can add that I went to school for graphic design and it took a while for it to click with me - and when it finally did I ask myself.. WHY didn't I know about all this cool stuff earlier? I could have been doing this wayyy long ago!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
Hardware Hotshot

Paige -- Thanks for asking these dorky questions for the rest of us!! I've been toying with the idea of trying digi scrapbooking here of late because frankly I'm just so far behind with my "regular" scrapbooking, I really think that once I got the hang of it I would get more accomplished digitally!

My biggest thing is that I do want "hard" copies of my work. I don't have a 12x12 printer. Would this be something to invest in, or are there companies you can upload your finished pages to that will print & mail them?

Wendy
Old 04-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Gallery Gazer

Will Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 do about the same as Elements or should I invest?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty5
My biggest thing is that I do want "hard" copies of my work. I don't have a 12x12 printer. Would this be something to invest in, or are there companies you can upload your finished pages to that will print & mail them?

Wendy
Frankly, Wendy, considering the expense for such a machine, I'm guessing that many find sending them out for printing is a reasonably priced option.

I decided I'd do my layouts 8x8", so that if I wanted to, I could print them out with my own printer, since I don't know when I'll be able to afford a 12 x 12" printer, and if I wanted the instant gratification of not waiting due to sending them out. I like that size a lot, I find. And, there are 8 x 8 albums available out on the market, so I wouldn't have to custom create my own and can buy it off the rack, UKWIM?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #12
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I print mine 8x8 too, dreaming someday of getting a printer that will accomodate the 12x12!

Ann, I don't know that adobe acrobat professional would be able to do the digital scrapbooking... are you able to work in layers?

My personal opinion is that if you are serious about doing the digital scrapbooking - that you invest in the right tools. If you try something that isn't quite what you need - you will most likely encounter a lot of frustrations when trying to create a page! I use Adobe Photshop Elements as well. There so many tutorials out there that can guide you through the process in learning how to digital scrap and working with the programs.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Where can I find free downloads?

I know there was a thread a while back about some websites that would allow a free trial download to try out the program first before making a huge investment. Does anyone know which websites were talked about or can someone link me to that thread?

Thanks,
Christine
Old 04-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #14
Dirty Dozen Alumni

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/main.html

This is for Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0

There is a link to download a trial version on the left column
Old 04-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #15
Gallery Gazer

You can do layers in Pro 6.0. I also have Photoshop (but it isn't elements) but I know it isn't as good as Elements. I just thought the Pro might be okay.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #16
Gallery Gazer

Cool, I went to the website and they have a free trial DVD that you can order and try out Elements FREE!!! for 30 days. Just signed up!
Old 06-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #17
Mad Swapper

I have a 12x12 printer, Canon i9900, love it, but it's expensive to print out layouts. I haven't done it myself but I know just from printing pics at home, it's cheaper to get them done elsewhere. But then when you consider the cost of an embellished 'real' scrapbook layout, it's probably not that bad. Think brads, stickers, photos, ribbon, and I bet you are over $5. Hmmm...maybe I better think about doing more on my computer!
There are lots of different sites where you can download freebies for digital scrapbooking. I use Photoshop 7 and it's pretty intense and expensive to buy, if I had to buy a program I would have preferred PS Elements 4 but beggers can't be choosy.
Check out Rhonna Farrer's stuff, she's got some great ideas. Digital Scrapbooking by Simple Scrapbooks is good too. There are 4 of them out there. I have #3 and love it. Great tips and info.

Kelli