Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Donating Craft Supplies

Has anybody here donated craft supplies to a tax deductible organization?

I am getting rid of all my stuff ... and honestly just don't have the time or patience to deal with selling a lot of it. I will sell my stamp sets - that's easy enough but I can't deal with all the ink, ribbon, makers, stampable items, embellishments, paper, etc...

At the same time I can't afford to just throw it out (and that just seems wrong) nor can I afford to simply give it away.

Are there any organizations out there where I could donate it and at least get a deduction for it on my taxes?

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #2  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

Default I would think girl scouts,

or perhaps a school but maybe i shoulds not be commenting since I do not know for sure....
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

I would suggest either your church or a local elementary school.
Someone at my church donated a bunch of ink pads, stamp sets, tools, etc. I use some of them to make cards for the church to send out to members of the congregation.
Also, as a school teacher, I can tell you that not many teachers would pass up a box full of crafting supplies for their classroom Either way you'd get a deduction and the recipients would be thrilled!
Other ideas...a Ronald McDonald House, women's shelter, Boys and Girls Club, etc
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I sent several boxes to Shriners Hospital and they do provide a tax receipt.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

I donated some to our local children's hospital. I was told the kids and their parents use the craft items.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

It's great that you want to donate them, but just keep in mind though, that if you're trying to get some kind of financial return on them via taxes, that just because they are a donation doesn't necessarily always mean you can claim the deduction on your taxes, i.e., if you don't itemize your taxes.

I know I have made charitable donations in the past and then found out when doing my taxes, that because we weren't able to itemize, we lost the benefit of making that charitable donation.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Local public elementary school and Church run preschool programs greatly appreciate donated craft items altho I am not sure you would get a tax donation form.

Salvation Army and like organizations.... there are also some Battered Womens and Childrens shelters that actually use some items they receive and sale the rest to help keep them afloat.

If you have access to an Air Force Base, yourself or a friend, there is normally an Airmans Attic or a Thrift Shop and they normally will give tax donation forms.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Old 01-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
It's great that you want to donate them, but just keep in mind though, that if you're trying to get some kind of financial return on them via taxes, that just because they are a donation doesn't necessarily always mean you can claim the deduction on your taxes, i.e., if you don't itemize your taxes.

I know I have made charitable donations in the past and then found out when doing my taxes, that because we weren't able to itemize, we lost the benefit of making that charitable donation.
We itemize
Old 01-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

When my kids were in preschool I gave it to their teachers and they loved it! Now I donate to a local safe house for women and children. I have taken quite a bit over to them and the lady is so appreciative.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to post and say it makes me really sad that you are giving away your craft stuff, I love your gallery.
I hope though that you find relief or release in your choice.

Sam
Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Aw thanks Sam ... that's very sweet!

I am keeping just a few things ... I still like to make simple little notecards and I use them a lot too plus they are nice gifts for teachers. But as far as detailed card making I just don't have the time anymore and really, I don't enjoy it. When I DO have to make a card it's a chore and then I wind up putting it off and then it never gets done and people don't get cards!

I've yet to find a tax deductible charity that will take this stuff so I'm going to just give imost of it to my kids school. I'm sure either the Art Dept or the ASP (after school) program can use it.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Default how about....

this. there is an organization called gilda's house. i don't know if there is one in your area but it is an organization similar to ronald mcdonald house that helps women with gynecological cancers. maybe they'd be interested.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow---I am sorry to hear about you getting rid of all your stuff---but if it doesn't make you happy you do have to move on! I will miss your creations, though! I am also sure that your kid's school will certainaly appreciate all the new toys!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I divied up some stuff for the girl scout troop that my niece is in, and the local preschool that she attend once upon a time. Got receipts from both!! Yay!!! less stuff in my house, and makes the kids get crafty!!! win-win, IMO!! So just ask your receiptents/donor (s) for a receipt.
Jennik
Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Your local Ronald McDonald house may take items as well. I donated stuff to mine.

Jane
Old 01-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always get a sizeable deduction from my church for the cards I donate as well as the supplies I dont need that I pass on to them. A win win situation.
Blessings.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

A few of the nurses I work with donated several stampin/scrappin supplies to the Ronald MacDonald house.

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Old 01-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I would recommend ebay charity auctions, that way your charity gets cash. But, if you don't think you'll get the proper value out of your items, and your primary concern is the tax write off, a direct donation of items is better. I would look for a charity that could really benefit from craft items. There are often free arts programs for kids that are non-profit orgs.

Of course, the standards like schools, nursing homes, etc. are great too.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamperView Post
We itemize
Just remember, its not a dollar (value) for dollar deduction off the taxes you owe (nor off your income amount). There's some percentage formula, or something like that. It stinks, but that's what my husband informed me when I suggested giving some furniture to Goodwill and taking it off our taxes (we're going to wait and have a garage sale in the spring!).

I've thought about giving away all my rubber stamping stuff (sets and cardstocks as well as inks, etc.), but its worth so much and I'd get little for it as a deduction. What do you do when you want the unused hobby stuff to just GO AWAY???!

Old 01-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry I can't advise but this is fascinating! I'm in England and we don't have anything like this! We give to charity and if tax can be claimed back (if people are taxpayers and this only on monetary donations) we can fill out forms and the tax reclaimed goes to the charity-not back to us. This can be re-claimed back for several years of donating I believe. Anything else, clothes, craft supplies, furniture, books etc-all are given freely with nothing gained other than a good warm feeling in our hearts I suppose! Oh and more space at home if you're a cynic and not into warm hearts! The idea of a HUGE country like the US spending so much money on dealing with these forms is incredible-it presumably may save you a bit of tax but you surely must pay for it, each and every one of you as the system must cost a fortune to implement?? I'm not criticising, please don't think that, but I'm amazed at this idea. I really can't see us doing that ever-as it is charities get less donations now as the credit crunch-research and projects are being stopped, job cuts etc-Gordon Brown can't afford to do this-none of us here can!

I hope your craft goodies find a new home-I give loads away myself to individuals who I come across who are young or don't have much money but keen to learn this lovely hobby and primarilly to charities where young people need to learn new skills or find a hobby etc for self esteem/therapy/to turn life around by doing positive things etc. I tend to come across these on forums etc so fill a box and take a deep breath as I go into the Post Office!!!

The feeling in my heart is good for me and I'm only on disability benefits myself so frankly in need of charity myself!!!! The way I see it is that if I can buy even one bit of craft stuff which is not ESSENTIAL at all-I'm better off than those I want to help.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL - yeah, our tax system is a huge PITA. I hate April 15th!

As far as donating ... I support a lot of charities and some do not allow write offs. I don't have an issue with that. I enjoy giving where there are needs as well. In this particular situation though, I have spent literally thousands of dollars and was just trying to recoup something plus we really need some write offs this year - my husband was laid off in September. We need all the help we can get!

I wound up sending all the cardstock to my kids school and I tossed my old ink pads. I will sell my stamp sets - I can't just let those go. I haven't figured out yet what to do with all my random embellishments, punches, etc... I may be able to give that to my son's school as well.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! Much appreciated!