Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Default Does shipping costs factor into whether you purchase online or not?

Normally I am completely turned off by companies that charge astronomical amounts for shipping and I usually refuse to do it, period. I broke my own rule, and just purchased three "unmounted" stamps and was clearly charged a flat fee of $7.95 to ship...which is absolutely rediculous since they are not even on cling mount. I have no one to blame but myself for giving in, but I wanted the stamps and couldn't order them anywhere else.

Just curious if this bothers anyone else besides me?
Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Yes, it does factor in but I'm not afraid to send an email for a situation such as yours, asking to have the shipping costs reduced. I've found most companies to be very reasonable in those situations. A lot of times their shopping carts have shipping based on a fixed $ amount. Sometimes they lose $$ doing that because it could be a heavy item but not cost much. Sometimes we eat it as consumers because it's a light item.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Shipping rates and timeframes make a big difference when I consider purchasing online. I always try to buy online when shipping is offered for free or buy from stores where I can get a lot of different things I need at once for a low shipping rate. I hate paying unrealistic shipping charges for just two or three little things. I will buy something from one store over another if the shipping rates are better or they offer more of what I want. I also like to consider if they ship quickly or not too. I see no point in waiting over a week to get anything when I can get things in 3-4 days someplace else.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Shipping costs absolutely factors into my online purchases. Whenever a company offers free shipping with a certain $ purchased, I try to get free shipping, but if there are only a couple of things I need I will weigh the cost of shipping into my purchase price and decide how much I just HAVE TO HAVE the items.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes, it does. I usually wait to order until my order is large enough to get free shipping.

My Blog: Confessions of a Left-Brained Stamper
Design Team Member - Kitchen Sink Stamps
Design Team Member - The Project Bin
Devoted Fan Club Member since 2005
Old 02-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

yes, shipping does factor in for me. If I can order from more than one place, I am more likely to order from the one that offers free shipping. However, I don't just look at the cost of shipping by itself, but factor it into the total cost. Sometimes the price of the item is low enough that even if the shipping is higher, my overall cost is less. Free shipping isn't such a great deal if the price of the items are inflated.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes- shipping cost matters. I only order from places that offer free shipping when I spend "X" amount of dollars, then I wait till I have that much stuff I want to buy and then place my order. I am the type person that refuses to pay shipping- and have never wanted something bad enough that I couldn't get free shipping on. This is what has stopped me from buying SU yet- the shipping is high and the products can be usually purchased else where under another name (minus the stamps).

Sheena
Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes shipping is a factor for me although i like to by from the US as the exchange rate is good and i get good deals however today i was it with a 12 pound customs fee because my package was marked as craft items instead of gift.So this order worked out very expensive for me and would have been cheaper in the UK but i will learn lol xx jo xx
Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinglakeView Post
Yes shipping is a factor for me although i like to by from the US as the exchange rate is good and i get good deals however today i was it with a 12 pound customs fee because my package was marked as craft items instead of gift.So this order worked out very expensive for me and would have been cheaper in the UK but i will learn lol xx jo xx
I'm pretty sure that a US business can get into big trouble marking items as gifts so that the recipient can avoid customs.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Absolutely.
At one website, everything I chose was 60-70% off.
My order came to about $35.
Their shipping rate was $12.00. (there weren't any large or heavy items)

I did NOT make the purchase, due to the shipping rate.

Karen S
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Yes, absolutely. I always shop around for the best deal. Sometimes another company will offer a more expensive product with free shipping, whereas another might offer a less expensive product with higher shipping. Sometimes it's a wash. I always go with the cheapest total price (product + shipping).
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh definitely! I will actually save up my orders at places until I qualify for free shipping. In this economy with cutbacks at my job (wage freezes, cuts in hours, etc), I have to cut back on how many supplies I buy. And to pay for shipping seems silly when I can wait another month and just get free shipping.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Absolutely....I was going to buy 3 unmounted stamps for aabout $18, but the shipping was $12!!!. Absurd.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Absolutely. Last week I was going to order 3 6x6 paper pads for $2 each, but the shipping was $7.99. I emailed the company to explain how turned off I was by the high shipping. The owner emailed me back and told me that, for smaller orders such as mine, they would charge me less. As a previous poster said, ask if they can adjust the charge for you. You never know....
Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #15  
Chat Box Chick Enabler

Oh yeah, shipping matters!
And as others have said... never hurts to email and ask!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yes it does, I've been eyeing some supplies from a couple of online sites. But because of the shipping charges I haven't done so.

I really hate paying more for shipping than the cost of product.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

yes
Old 02-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

sometimes I am frustrated because online stores charge the same as a real store....but the real store has so much overhead....insurance, rent, utilities, etc. I would expect online stores working out of their spare bedroom or garage to be cheaper.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

If I think about how much money I saved by not driving somewhere to get whatever I was looking for, and the time it might take me to do that, I will pay the shipping. For me, my time is very limited and valuable and gas prices are still too high to justify a 40-minute-or-more drive for a craft item. Really, the only time I am looking on-line to buy something is if I can't get it locally anyway. I will, however, shop around for the BEST shipping charges (free is the bestest).
Old 02-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

It absolutely factors in for me here in Canada. I placed an order a while ago and was charged $12 for shipping and "handling" - the postage that was paid was $2.60. I will only order if the shipping is reasonable - with the exchange rate it just isn't saving me money.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Shipping matters. I compare costs with shipping included. If it is still cheaper then I go with that one. If it is a wash I try to send it to the one with free shipping to "reward" them.
Proud Angel #3898
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Yes! I actually factor the shipping costs (and whether I have to pay taxes on it) into the cost of the item when determining if it's a good deal or not and if I want to order it.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Most definitely. I only have a Michaels, HL, Wal-Mart and a very small limited stock LSS to shop from. I try to consider the cost of the item + S/H against what it would cost to drive 150-200 miles to a larger city to shop for the same item(s). Usually I can find a cheaper shipping rate or something. I also buy a lot on E-Bay Buy It Now and have found some really good prices w/free shipping.

I've never e-mailed and ask for a different shipping rate, might have to consider that at some point and see how it works.

Cyndi
Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Most definitely it is a HUGE factor for me as well. Many times I have spent an hour shopping an online store, loading up my cart, only to discover they would charge outrageous shipping rates. If it is something I really want, and can't find elsewhere, I will email CS and let them know the reason for my abandoned shopping cart. On more than one occasion, I got a response saying the shipping would be adjusted if I was charged significantly higher than actual shipping. This I don't mind very much because I do know that it can be difficult to calculate accurate shipping costs with certain shopping cart systems.
If I get no response, or 'That is what we have to charge, blah blah', I take my business elsewhere. Even if I really want the items and can't find it anywhere else. I won't give in.
I think it is our responsibility as consumers to let online stores know why we won't shop with them, otherwise, they don't know how many customers are being turned away by their shipping charges.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

That is why I don't buy online very much anymore. I hate paying the high shipping charges. I will cancel my order at checkout if I think the shipping is too high. Most of the time I won't even look at a site if they don't have their shipping charges listed where I can find them before I order.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #26  
Mad Swapper

absolutely 100% positively YES!!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3000View Post
I'm pretty sure that a US business can get into big trouble marking items as gifts so that the recipient can avoid customs.
oh i see well i wouldnt want to get anyone into trouble! xx jo xx
Old 02-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

For the most part, yes. But sometimes it depends on what I'm getting and how badly I want or need it. If what I'm ordering I have no chance what-so-ever of finding it anywhere close to me (which is usually the case), then I'm willing to pay more for shipping for the shear fact that it's the only way I'll be able to get something. I usually really watch the sales, especially the ones where I know the shipping is normally high but occassionally will offer half-price or free shipping. There have been times that I've needed a very special item available nowhere else and paid expediated shipping (like a car seat/stroller combo that's FAA approved for an unexpected trip with a toddler due to a death in the family) but that's an unusual case. Shipping cost did not factor into my decision on that one. Normal stamping purchases, shipping usually plays some role but not the only reason I don't order.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Shipping costs have to be factored in. I recently ordered 4 small Clarity Stamps here in the UK, I knew the shipping was going to cost 3 but what I didn't realise was that I would have to wait 10 days before it was shipped and the actual postage costs were 1.30. Now I realise they have to buy the boxes but at bulk charges I doubt whether that box would have cost them 1.70!! I was not a happy bunny.

Blog
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Absolutely! I like to buy from the States due to variety and cost savings. However some American stores charge ridiculous shipping rates to Canada. I don't understand why they can't just use the flat rate post envelopes/boxes and charge the ACTUAL cost of shipping.

There is one specific stamp company I'd love to order from but their rates to Canada are totally ridiculous (over $25).
Old 02-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

High shipping rates are the reason I don't look on-line first. I prefer to patronize my local chain stores for my business. They only charge tax and no shipping and I also get to take it home with no waiting.

Shipping costs and the time it will take for the shipping are determining factors into whether I will order on-line or not, not matter how much I want/need an item(s). I no longer order from places that charge tax on shipping either.

Patti
Old 02-05-2010, 03:04 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

I do look at shipping wherever I am shopping online - Ebay or a store. Like others, I tend to wait until I have enough for free shipping before I order. I will say, I never thought to contact and ask about reducing the shipping. Some people are so smart!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

A little off topic, but are there any Canadians who can tell me their experience with ordering from [email protected] and what Canada Customs/Canada Post charged? I want to order some Nestabilities and with the 40% off coupon, the Canadian prices can't come close. I haven't ordered anything from the US in the past couple of years and recall Canada Post charges a $5 processing fee (or has that gone up) and then there could be 13% duty on top of that.

It drives me crazy that so many items are priced sky high in Canada, considering the dollar has been hoovering in the 90 cent range for a long time. The pricing, before taxes, should be a lot closer than it is.

Thanks for listening to my question and rant
Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Yes it does, I look for free shipping with a certain amount spent. Then if you notice, sometimes they ship a tooth pick in a hugh box filled with paper or bubble wrap, Please! Some of these company's need to learn how to pack.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

It does, but I also look at the price too---sometimes the free shipping companies are charging way more for the merchandise. But...if I have to have it and can't get it anywhere else, I will pay "a little" more than I expect for shipping.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I add in the shipping and then decide if it's a price a want to pay.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes for me shipping is a factor if I purchase or not. What irks me more is when you get charged a fee for shipping for example of $7.95, and the envelope arrives and the company left the postage price on there of $4.75. I can see adding a fee for "handling" and whatnot, but not to the tune of $3.20!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #38  
Forum Fanatic

Yes it matters. I cleared many a shopping cart because the shipping was too high. Recently I had to buy a bulb for my desk lamp and since no one in town carried I had to buy online from the ONLY store that carried it. The bulb was $12.99 shipping was $8.00 and then when I get it it's not the right bulb. So I either pay to ship it back and repay for shipping or toss the lamp. %%$!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Yes, it matters. Cherry Blossoms, an online store that advertises on SCS, has come out with a replacement refill for the Kokuyo adhesive that was recently discontinued. However, when I tried to order, I first have to authorize a $10.99 shipping fee. Sorry, that is just too high.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

It 100% does for me...and usually I cannot save enough that companies want for a certain dollar level of shipping to get it free. So alot of companies lose out on business from me because in this economy I just cannot afford $50-$60 in one shot to get the free shipping. And I am almost certain that I am not alone in this.

I think if companies offered more sales and/or free shipping with lesser amounts needing to be ordered they might get some more business with the way the economy is right now.

I usually can get items on ebay at a sale price and/or free shipping. A lot of ebay sellers are offering free shipping or sales on their products to get them to sell.

I just wish more of my favorite companies that I have a long list of wants from would do the same thing.