Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-21-2004, 03:39 AM   #1
Abbe-licious

Default does anybody have a clever way

to store their paper scraps? i just throw all of mine in a rubbermaid container, and hardly ever look at them again. i would like to find an organized way to store them so that i will reuse them and not waste.

waiting in anticipation,
kirstin
Old 09-21-2004, 03:43 AM   #2
Stampin' Fool

I store mine with the color group they go with, and I've trained myself to look at them first to see if they fit what I'm looking for.

Carolyn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 AM   #3
Stampin' Fool

I store the larger scraps in drawers by color. The small scraps I'm starting to recycle and make my own paper.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

I store mine in top loading page protectors (from staples) by color family in a storage container with a removable top (the type you can also put hanging files in), that way it open and next to me when I am "working".
Old 09-21-2004, 04:14 AM   #5
Pearl-ExPert

Default scraps

THis is something I really need to do...I have so many scraps, and I never use them...I used to have them sorted by color, but that was a long time ago...I guess it is time to sort..LOL...who knows what I will find! Kerilou
Old 09-21-2004, 04:15 AM   #6
SCS Moderator

I keep my paper in file folders by color. The scraps go in a cellophane bag in the front of the file. That way I have to only go 1 place to get a color.

Old 09-21-2004, 04:18 AM   #7
Kookie Creator

I just throw them in a rubbermaid bin. I plan to use it during "open stamping" nights at my home. I'll request my guests to look there first and if what they're looking for is not there, then I'll get them some paper.
Member #7840!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:28 AM   #8
Crimping Master

Larger scraps stay in the folders with the full sheets. For smaller scraps I use an old plastic silverware tray which I leave by the stamping table. I have them organized by pastels, fall etc. I use 'em ALL the time. It saves heaps of time when I am in a rush to pull something together.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Old 09-21-2004, 04:33 AM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

I have four binders (one for each color group). In each binder is a page protector with each color written on it and inside are my scraps. I have it sitting on my shelves right next to my scrapping table. I hate to cut paper up when I have so many scraps to use. I like the idea of the filing container. I have two of them collecting dust down there. Now I have a use for them.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:40 AM   #10
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I learned this from my upline, who gave me my first one: Get an accordian file, a small one like you would put coupons in. I have a durable plastic one, clear so I can see through it, and it has an attached rubber band thingy to keep it closed. I have them sorted by color group inside, and when I am layering anything I look there first. If the Cardstock "scrap" is actually a half page, or quarter page, I put it back in the file where the rest of that cardstock it. But if it's smaller, it goes in the scraps. Mine has grown so FAT in the past year I need a second one! There are 13 slots in them, so with two I could store two colors of scraps in each place, and have one dedicated to U/S White, Vanilla, and other types of papers.
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Old 09-21-2004, 04:44 AM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

My upline said she stores hers in an acrylic box frame...she takes out the cardboard from the back and turns it upside down....I have bought several on sale for the most popular colors of scraps I have..and have put the frames on top of the papers..they coordinate with to make sure I pick from there first...
Old 09-21-2004, 04:53 AM   #12
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

That's what I do too. I don't have enough of the acrylic frames yet, so I use empty stamp cases for the rest. I store my cardstock in paper sorters from Sam's club and the acrylic frames slide right over the top of the full size pieces.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-21-2004, 05:05 AM   #13
Abbe-licious

thanks everyone for all the great ideas, i have a ton of the top loading page protectors, so i think i will start there.

have a great day!

kirstin
Old 09-21-2004, 05:11 AM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

I keep mine by color family in craft keepers. The craft keepers are in a basket on my work table. The craft keepers are clear, so it is easy to grab the right one.

If the paper is smaller than a half sheet it goes into the keeper. If it's a 1/2 sheet or larger, it goes back with my full sheets on the shelf.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:37 AM   #15
Matboard Maniac

I have my SU cardstock in an expanding file cases. Each colour is in its own pocket sorted alphabetically by name (within the colour family. I'm left-brained). All scraps go into a page protector then back in the appropriate 'slot'. I love using the scraps. (I am also a quilter).

My non SU scraps, decorative papers for scrapbooking, go into old 12 x 12 page protectors by colour. They stand in a box close to my work table. It works great.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:42 AM   #16
Gallery Gazer

I keep mine in Craft Keepers and try, not very well, but try to look at them and use them. I now have 2 Craft keepers with scraps and have been trying harder to use them.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:50 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

I've found that if I store the scraps separate from the CS I'll never use them! So I keep all my SC in hanging file folders in a file cabinet. I throw the scraps right in there with them. That way when I'm looking for a color I see the scraps and full sheets at the same time.

Maybe that should be a challenge...Make a card using only scraps, except for the base.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #18
Matboard Maniac

dncbanks- Great idea! You're so right about storing scraps away from your CS! I know I couldn't do a binder because if I can't see it right away and get it quickly, I would be reluctant to use it!

I was going to buy 2 of the 3 drawer (small drawers maybe 8 1/2 X 11) rubbermaid type organizers and use a drawer for each color family, one for white & neutrals and one for designer papers!

I may have to rethink that totally though and try it with my CS! Thanks for your great idea!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:52 AM   #19
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
I keep my paper in file folders by color. The scraps go in a cellophane bag in the front of the file. That way I have to only go 1 place to get a color.
I do the same thing, minus the baggies. I just put the scraps in the front of the file folder for that color. And I have all my file folders together in a CM File Mate accordian-style file, so my paper is easy to transport to Stamp Club meetings, or wherever I want to go. I just put a few full sheets of cardstock in each file folder at a time; I keep the bigger packs of cardstock in hanging files in a desk drawer.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:58 AM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

I use one of the plastic shoeboxes, no lid, & I always look in there first. It can be time consuming because the box is getting really full, but it works for me. The pieces stand up & all sizes but full sheets go in there.

Suzanne
Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #21
Insane Embellisher

I store my scraps in this small 5 drawer container I found at Walmart. Think it was about $4-$5 Max. It sits on my table for easy access and I don't forget to look there first anymore.
It measures about 8"x63/4" so a quarter sheet or less fits great in the drawer. Anything larger than a quarter sheet is saved where I store my 81/2"x11" cardstock. Plus there is a drawer for each color group and one for white and misc.
Attached Thumbnails
scrapdrawer.jpg  
Old 09-21-2004, 09:41 AM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

I have my full sheets of cs in hanging files and then for each color I have a cheap folder with anything that is cut that is in the hanging file right in front of the full sheets. Makes it easy to look for small pieces as you can easily pull the scrap folder out to have a good look. Works great for me and I don't have lots of small pieces this way as I remember to use them.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:47 AM   #23
Insane Embellisher

I just dump them all in a drawer, but then I use them to make tags with for hostess gifts. I have a great Fiskars corner rounder that makes quick and easy tags. That was a suggestion made on one of my other boards and I think it's fabulous! I also heard a tip the week at a downline meeting I went to - use your tear scraps to make "shred" to put in your cello bags. It's cuter than the stuff you buy at the store.

Visit my Demo Website
I have a bouncing baby blog

There are three types of people in the world - those who can count and those who can't.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #24
Rubber Obsessor

I keep all of my paper in seperate file folders for each color, I then just drop the scraps in the front of each file. It seems to work great for me!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:30 AM   #25
Forum Fanatic

I have 4 separate accordian files, one for each color family. Within the file the scraps are in ziplock bags. The files are big enough for 8.5 x 11" paper, so all scraps go in. Whatever color I'm working with, I grab the baggie first. As soon as I get a scrap, it goes in the bag and I'm done. It took so long to sort them the first time, going immediately in is a must. I tried the page protector deal, just didn't work for me. The baggies are easier and more portable.