Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2004, 09:34 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you think "Stampin'Up" Will go Acrylix,someday?

Just thinking :? ?!?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 09:36 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Default Acrylic

I heard at convention that Shelli is violently opposed to acrylic, but that could just have been a rumor I, for one, hope we stay with wood! Just my .02.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 09:37 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Honestly, I don't know. I think they will go in the direction of the market. Right now acrylics are up in the air. I think if they are able to improve the acrylic system, more and more ppl will go to it. More and more ppl going to it mean less and less ppl purchasing wood mounts. Would make sense to change to acyrlics then.
Member #3785
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:05 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Default acrylic

I think,we can save$$ and will buy more beautiful Stampin' up stamps....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:11 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I sure hope not! I have not heard much good about the acrylic stamps. Most people I know have said they do not stamp well/cleanly.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think acrylics are just a passing fad. I have a few and am not impressed. Unless they can improve them, I wouldn't buy any more!

Everything I've heard regarding this idea (of SU! switching to acrylic) has been "don't expect this to ever happen." I think someone asked Brent Steele at convention about this and that was his answer. When you look at the cost of buying the blocks to fit your image sizes, the difficulty in inking the stamp without getting ink all over the acrylic block, then trying to stamp without getting that ink on the paper...eh, I don't think it's worth it. I could see myself losing little images on my table and having a hard time finding them on the floor. This sort of system just doesn't match the way I stamp which is a creative frenzy of filling my table up with stamps and supplies until I am left working in a space that's about 4 inches square before I finally clean it all off and start over again! With an acrylic system, I'd have to clean as I go and put away as I go! Ack! I think more people are like me than not!

Plus, I like to think that in this high-tech world, people like the feel of something organic like wood. Acrylic doesn't fill that need, it just looks like another piece of plastic. My thought is, while there are people who like acrylic and will do it, most people like wood.

And you can't stamp with solvent inks with acrylic, you can't use them with an iron and velvet and I have to wonder how you could use them to make an impression into hot embossing powder. You can't use bleach with them. Plus, looking at the ones I have and the ones I've seen, it seems to me that they don't make very many fine lined images in acrylic stamps...they seem to be more brushstroke/broad line type stamps.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Nothing against people who like acrylic!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

[quote="JanTInk"]
the way I stamp...a creative frenzy of filling my table up with stamps and supplies until I am left working in a space that's about 4 inches square before I finally clean it all off and start over again!

Glad I'm not the only one who stamps like this!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:25 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

I'm down to zero space and definitely have to clean the table tonight. Must work on stamping!!

I agree with Jan ~ passing fad!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:27 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I hope, if acrylics/UM's are ever offered, that they're available as an OPTION in addition to what we currently have.
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:30 AM   #10  
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Stampin Up Acyrlics?

I talked to someone on SU's Executive Board at Convention regarding this same thing. He told me and the group that I was with that SU has looked at acrylics and has been watching them for about 4 years. Currently there is nothing that they are happy enough with to make the switch. He said that right now SU would rather invest the money into die cut stamps for our wood blocks. Just think how nice it would be to never have to cut another stamp set out? Like my 8 year old says, "That would be too sweet!"

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:44 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I hope not- I've invested too much! Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #12  

Default Acrylic Stamps

Alright ladies hear me out before you kill me. I have ALL my stamps re-mounted on EZ mount foam. And by all I mean over 300 sets. My sets are stored ina 2' by 3' CD holder. I have any set i want right in front of me. When I first checked in to mounting this way I got a really bad vinyal cling system. I then found what is called EZ mount, Sunday International carries it. This is also What The Angel Company and the Stamping Studio use. I have never had a problem with images not inking right or getting ink on my blocks. I admitt it was a little strange to start out with but now I find it hard to use wood. I have also used the new clear stamps from CTMH and am still not sure if I like them, there is no cushion at all but it is nice to be able to see thru the stamp. I believe stampers will use what ever is most comfortable not only to use bit also the pocket book. Yes I still buy stamps with wood but give the wood to my neighber who makes wooden toys for the Head Start kids. You can find good in any system if we just look.
In Him,
Shawna

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

You know I hope not. I love the wood blocks. I have seen the Acrylix's in the craft store now and also at walmart, they have the letters in Acrylix. It does however seem stamps are heading in that direction...

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 10:49 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default Acrylix

I would rather SU! offer the rubber stamps unmounted as opposed to in acrylic. We could still do all the wonderful things we can do with rubber dies but be able to save space by having them be unmounted and only needing a few acrylic block mounts to use all the stamps. If the choice were offered to people to get their stamps WM or unmounted rubber, that would (wood!) be perfect - just my opinion.

MrsDiffey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 11:12 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Default i love the wood blocks..

I love the wood blocks..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Default Re: Stampin Up Acyrlics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly Moeller
I talked to someone on SU's Executive Board at Convention regarding this same thing. He told me and the group that I was with that SU has looked at acrylics and has been watching them for about 4 years. Currently there is nothing that they are happy enough with to make the switch. He said that right now SU would rather invest the money into die cut stamps for our wood blocks. Just think how nice it would be to never have to cut another stamp set out? Like my 8 year old says, "That would be too sweet!"
Call me weird, but I actually like cutting my stamp sets out and mounting them. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and keeps my hands busy when I'm too blocked to stamp. It also keeps me from eating chips and dip like it's going out of style. I actually volunteer to cut other peoples' sets out. I know, I'm weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 12:22 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default acrylic

I heard that very same question asked to one of the SU employees and his response was no. The quality of the stamped image isn't as good as if you use wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 12:32 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my... I really hope they stay with the wood blocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Acrylics vs Wood

Oh, I hope not. I love the wood. Why do they always have to mess with a good thing. I hope the rumor about Shelley is true, but I do know that she will only do what is best for us!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 12:46 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it would be nice if the sets were offered both mounted and unmounted. I don't like the acrylic mounts, but there are lots of people who either like the acrylic mounts or some other unmounted type of system.

I doubt it will happen, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,034 Likes on 476 Posts

Can you imagine how BROKE and upset we'd all be if they switched over? Anyone with more than five stamps sets, who is also a demo, would lose out in a LOT of money. They would all be considered "retired," and we'd have to get all new stuff. That would be huge, and I"m sure Stampin Up would consider that in a BIG way. They have been sensitive in keeping our supply prices low, and passing on savings to us, so I'd think they would be consistent and keep our costs down that way, too. Or, at least, that's what I believe they would do. I guess we'll all know in the long run!!!!
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 04:08 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I also have my stamps converted to EZMount Foam....I think alot of people here are confused...when they say acrylic..they are meaning the SEE THRU stamps...when we talk about ezmount it is still the rubber just on a diff't piece of foam than what comes on them.

I would LOVE if SU offered their stamps available in unmounted or wood mounted so people can choose. I have over 150 stamp sets in around 12 inches of space...they stamp the same as anyone who would have wood mounted. I can see where I stamp a little better than wood mounted, but I can't see all the way thru it....which I don't mind....I have an acrylic set, and I am still on the fence about it..not sure if I like it or not!!

Anyway, sorry to ramble...just my .02

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
This sort of system just doesn't match the way I stamp which is a creative frenzy of filling my table up with stamps and supplies until I am left working in a space that's about 4 inches square before I finally clean it all off and start over again! With an acrylic system, I'd have to clean as I go and put away as I go! Ack! I think more people are like me than not!

!
You just described me to a T! I have to just laugh at myself. How can I get everything into such a mess in so little time???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 05:43 PM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,034 Likes on 476 Posts

I have spent the past two days working on a swap, to get it mailed out. I am sitting here cleaning up the MESS I made, wondering, how in the world did my nice clean little area get so messy so fast?? Now I'm glad someone out there can probably relate Next week will be the same way, an even bigger swap coming up. Yikes!!

Debbi
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 07:48 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Okay, RAISE YOUR HANDS IF YOU HAVE STAMPED WITH THE CTMH ACRYLIC STAMPS!? I realize perhaps not many of you have, but it's not really fair to say what acrylic stamps can/can't do, will/won't do until you have used them. I will admit, I have used the old ProvoCraft Acrylic stamps and was not happy with them. I was so jazzed about them when they first came out (even when I was a CTMH Consultant at the time) and bought some at Hobby Lobby, but they were so stiff and did not ink up well or leave a very good impression (although I did not try using any foam or a mouse pad underneath). It's hard when you're used to one thing to transition to another! And it's so easy to be negative about a product when it is in direct competition with the company you choose to represent! As cool as I thought those stamps were, I didn't really want something that awesome to be in direct competition with our products! LOL!

Last year, the acrylic alphabet stamps were incredible hot sellers! They were easy to use and stamped great, plus they were more compact in their storage and much cheaper! That's why CTMH decided to go acrylic this year, and they have improved so much on their product! CTMH is definitely not alone in this endeavor. Several other companies offer acrylic stamps, so it must be something that's working.

I'm not sure anyone will take my word for it since I am a CTMH Consultant! Maybe it would be better for others who have used them to speak up. I definitely don't want to seem like someone who's not objective! I loved rubber for years and still have shelves full of them and wondered how I would ever have room for more! But I would be lying to you if I said I didn't wish every stamp in my collection was acrylic! They are really awesome! Here's a link that might make a difference as far as opinions are concerned regarding the acrylic stamps: http://www.thisandthatstamps.com/pro...rVsRubber.html

I can only tell you my experience with them and it has been fantastic. I have embossed into melted powder, used the iron on the velvet, and Stazon can be used on them (although the cleaner cannot).

Will Stampin' Up go to acrylic? I would say probably not since they just opened that huge factory in Utah, but I would agree it would be nice if they would give the option. Even if they switched over completely, it's not as huge of a deal as you might think. I have 7 years worth or rubber on my shelves and have yet to replace one of those sets! I'm just going with the new ones! And there are a LOT of those to choose from! I feel like my newsest downline is the LUCKIEST person because she gets to start out with ALL ACRYLICS! Her first party was over $800.00 (WooHoo Dawn!) I can only imagine the space and the money I would have saved if all the sets I have were acrylic instead of wood...oh well.

I don't expect everyone to stand up and cheer and say that the acrylic stamps are the best. I guess it's a lot like ice cream...

There are a lot of flavors of ice cream. Some of us like vanilla best, others like mint chocolate chip. It's only a matter of PERSONAL PREFERENCE! No one can condemn mint chocolate chip ice cream or someone who eats mint chocolate chip ice cream. You can only really say why you prefer vanilla or why you don't prefer mint chocolate chip. Right? And wouldn't the world be a pretty boring place if there WAS only vanilla? (saying that even though Vanilla is really my favorite! *smile*!)

Okay, I'm done now. It's taken me 45 mintues to write this, as I was trying so VERY hard to write this so that it wouldn't be controversial or misunderstood! There's plenty of room for everyone's stamps on my shelves, in my iris carts, under my bed...you get the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 09:51 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

First all, skweekysoo, very well said. I have a CTMH try me set, and I am not against it at all, I am not sure if I am in love with it tho. But, that being said...there are LOTS on my wish list from CTMH that I will be getting.

Anyway, here's some pics of my system...SU rubber stamps mounted on EZMount Foam for use with acrylic blocks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think "Stampin'Up" Will go Acrylix,someday?-sscn1608.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 09:55 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

just one or two more!!

Kelli
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think "Stampin'Up" Will go Acrylix,someday?-sscn1611.jpg   Do you think "Stampin'Up" Will go Acrylix,someday?-sscn1610.jpg   Do you think "Stampin'Up" Will go Acrylix,someday?-sscn1609.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2004, 09:56 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

sorry...one more..this one is my stamps in the folders sitting all nice on the bookshelf
Attached Thumbnails
Do you think "Stampin'Up" Will go Acrylix,someday?-sscn1612.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 02:33 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like cutting and mounting my own too. I would offer to do someone elses too but I don't know anyone else that shares in my hobby (besides our scrapbook ladies). I also have bought some acrylic stamps from CTMH. I have not used them yet but I am going to try today since my husband FINALLY went to work. I love his shiftwork but I hate the 3 days and 7 days off thing. I don't get to stamp because he wants me to do stuff with him.
Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 03:45 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

The first SU party I went to you had to choose the wood mounted or UM stamps, even back then I choose the wood mounted. Just a preference for me.

I just got the try me set from CTMH. I didn't like the way one of the stamps looked, the round tag. The ink did not cover well on this image, it was blotchy, if that makes sense at all.

I am a die hard SU fan. I have LOTS of sets and I am glad to hear that they won't be switching over. I like the acrylic stamps because they don't take as much room but I love my wood stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 03:52 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Stampin Up Acyrlics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly Moeller
Call me weird, but I actually like cutting my stamp sets out and mounting them. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and keeps my hands busy when I'm too blocked to stamp. It also keeps me from eating chips and dip like it's going out of style. I actually volunteer to cut other peoples' sets out. I know, I'm weird.
I don't mind cutting out my sets and just yesterday after mounting In The Wild I took the scraps and made my own background stamp to look like Giraffe hide...it turned out awesome... I will post the pic in my gallery today hopefully! So check it out later on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 06:06 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

OK, Kelli, tell me more about this EZ Mount! With all the rubber that I do have, I am seriously considering doing this to use with my acrylic blocks! I tried the Aleen's Tack It Over and Over and it was OK. This looks pretty fail-proof and WOW on that storage! I have a TAC consultant who I can order it from. Do you really LOVE IT and does it stick well to the acrylic blocks, even with the techniques like stamping into the embossing powder? Those acrylic stamps really cling, so if the EZ Mount is like that, I am all for it! What about the boards that you are storing it on...is that part of the system too?

Faryprincess, try seasoning that tag stamp. You can either use a pink rubber eraser and rub all over it (just like you do with the rubber stamps), or, better yet, ink it up and stamp with it repetitively. Once it is seasoned, it won't be blotchy. I have had to do this with my regularl rubber stamps when new as well, so it's not indicative of only acrylic stamps. I think most companies recommend seasoning your stamps before you actually use them on projects, at least we always did, and I think our information still says the same thing. Let me know how it goes! I like that little tag! It fits perfectly inside our circle tags and makes the cutest little accents! Give it a try like that!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2004, 10:46 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

skweekysoo...I sent you a PM

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes