Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2006, 01:41 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you "seal"/wood blocks for your new sets?

Hi Everyone,
I found the thread on the HOW TO to put a protective coating on your wood blocks when you get a new stamp set or even when you just want to do one that has already been mounted.

I know that this is good and I know that it may just be a personal preference, but I am curious to know how many of you actually do take the time to do that.

Couldn't find, tho I saw it once before, how to take a poll so - if anyone can help me do that or if you can all give me an idea of what you do, I'd appreciate it. E.g. always, sometimes, never

TIA,
Lynn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 03:10 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I have never sealed my wood blocks and don't regret it ... that is until I want to trade with someone and they prefer no stains.

Vixen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 03:12 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

The last set I got I sealed the wood with verathane. It took a couple of coats but I think it will help keep the wood clean.
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 07:37 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did 10 years ago when I started stamping. Now I don't bother. I rarely have a lot of staining unless I use the same set often. It is really personal preference but I just don't have the time. Some people will seal the blocks before they mount the stamp. I also have painted the blocks with clear nail polish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't. I've never really cared about stains, since for me, the stamps are tools. They're SUPPOSED to show signs of use, lol! I did try to seal my SU stuff for a few sets, only because of the resale factor, but after my first 2 or 3 decided it was way too much unecessary work....

Samanta, Keeper is GORGEOUS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just learned you could do this so I not only did with all my new sets (ones you traded me yesterday included THANKS ) BUT then I got a little anal and started unmounting my old sets sanding the ones that were stained and sealing and re-mounting (takeing a while- have a lot more sets then i thought). So far it works great my only complaint is that the sticker doesn't stick as well to the sealed block as the unfinished wood BUT as long as it doesn't go over the edges it isn't so bad and totally worth the hasssle! Now all my stamps are clean and will hopefully stay clean! Sealing the news ones only took maybe an extra 10 min a set and most of it was drying time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have never done this and don't regret it a bit. Seems too putzy to me. I'm not a really "messy" stamper, so I rarely if ever get ink on the wood anyhow...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I have been sealing my wood blocks with a can of clear spray paint the walmart brand so its cheep. I put the blocks in a cardboard box spray 1-2 coats on it and by the time I am done cutting out the set they are dry. I find it really nice when using our craft or chalk pads because they are a bit more messy than the classic. So the block comes clean with just a wipe of your finger. I like the fact if I was ever to sell/trade/ my sets I know there isn't going to be stains. It makes a good presentation for your customers it doesn't look like they were ran over by a black stayzon ink pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Thank you to all of you that have taken the time to answer my question thus far. I am just starting to stamp after years of collecting sets and finding this site and searching the forums has really helped. I think my initial turn off to stamping was that my stamp pads - tho purchased via SU were way too dry. I only learned that when I won classid pads on eBay as people listed their retired pads and the were very "juicy", very in comparison to what I had.

Right now as I play with the stamps, I have noticed that, as polyfrogger says, - it can get messy with the craft ink.

To Betsy - you should try the B/S/T forum if you want to try trading - you just list light staining or well loved with stains. There are others like me - who just want the images to stamp clearly. Still, there are those that are very particular about the condition of the sets. So, my thinking is that I'll just enjoy them (stains on me even!) and see if anyone wants to adopt the ones I can bear to let go of & donate the rest locally. Clearly, gotta make room to stamp!

I thought I'd ask since I don't want to be just a collector any longer. There are specific brands that they say are good for these purposes. Didn't want to have to trek out to Walmart again as I love these SAB sets, Aubrey! (Thank you, AGAIN! Your trade was one of the most generous ones for SAB. Love ya - and gosh - your avatar doesn't do you justice, cutie pie).

Mahalo and aloha,
cut, mount, label or label, cut, mount

Lynn

Last edited by twinks; 01-11-2006 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good girl, Lynn! Your tools are SUCH a worthless investment until you start using them! Then, of course, they become a whole NEW addiction....

FYI for any of you that do seal...don't seal completely. Leave an end or the top or something unsealed. Wood needs to breath or it could warp from moisture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinks
There are specific brands that they say are good for these purposes. Didn't want to have to trek out to Walmart again as I love these SAB sets, Aubrey! (Thank you, AGAIN! Your trade was one of the most generous ones for SAB. Love ya - and gosh - your avatar doesn't do you justice, cutie pie).
You are making me blush- thanks for the compliment- it was lovely to meet you too! As for the brands you are asking about... I used the krylon brand. I like the stain it doens't make it as shiny and it dries SO FAST!! You can't go to the Kunia Wal-mart though casue I bought them out this am... ;-) give them a while to restock or hit miliani!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:37 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Default thanks CA girl!

I can see how a CA girl feels the way she does with no Target and nowhere to really roam but up and down FWR (Fort Weaver Road). You can clean out Mililani Walmart - I am gonna follow Betsy!

Ms. Betsy, I DO in fact notice that warping on some of the set with a protective finish. I'm a gonna let my wood breathe and breathe and breathe.
Just overwhelming to learn so much by reading things on this site and having no plan of action.

Stayed tuned...jumping in! Some day you'll see my gallery. tee hee

thank you again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I hate messy stamps and the wood looks awful when stained.I have to ceal my wood.especially if you want to sell them later on.

bUT FOR THE MOST PART.The wood can be sanded with sand paper and most of the ink can come off.I have done this many times and they can look as good as new.then ceal the wood.to keep from getting stained.
Reply With Quote Likes