Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you make cards ahead of time of for each person or event?

Not sure if that makes sense. The problem, (Or blessing) is that I have a bunch of cool new supplies I'm dying to play with, however, I don't really have many people to send cards to and no events coming up...no birthdays, anniversary, babies...nothing. I bought a lot of Valentine supplies and then realized I only have 3 people to make cards for. I have a very small family and sadly fewer friends.
I've been thinking about just making some random cards with my supplies just because I want to play , but then I worry these cards will just sit around and that feels like a waste too.
So just wondering what others do that are like me with small families and not a lot of people to send cards to. Thanks for the ideas
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason I have to have an event to "push" me into card making. I've only made a card just to "play" maybe three times! That said I think you should go full steam ahead and dig in to those supplies! HAVE FUN! PLAY! CREATE! If that is what you're yearning for! It won't be a waste.

You can always donate or sell your cards. Some people stock their church, some do operation write home, etc. For about a year I was part of a group called Card Angels. I'm not sure if they are still in existence. They set you up with a person who had cancer or other difficult ailments. I sent cards to a lady for about a year.

I also have a small family. Sometimes I wonder if they get tired of my cards! I'm remarried now and I could send to my husband's siblings and parents but I'm too busy with work, etc. Of course they get a card at Christmas and I've used cards I have on hand from SU classes I go to for my MIL and FIL.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 02-12-2016 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 03:20 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,377 Likes on 512 Posts

I say just make the cards! It is so nice to have one on hand when the need arises.

Jennifer McGuire. is having a card drive on her blog right now. Right here on SCS there is a Cards for A Cause challenge.

Some things I do personally are selling my cards, writing to church shut -ins, and making little cards to drop into the lunch bags of the people on my weekly Meals on Wheels route. I also leave a box of cards at church for people to take and use for free, replenishing when it gets empty.

You could gift sets of cards to people or donate some to your local library (or some other organization near and dear to you) for them to sell as a fundraiser.

Your comment about having very few friends stood out to me. I have just two friends and I can't say they are "bestie" types. I have many acquaintances, I am very close to my family, and I love flying solo, so I have never felt the need for friends, to be honest. I definitely don't feel lonely, though, and am quite content. So don't be sad! And make those cards with your fun new supplies! Even if there is no specific reason to use the cards now, there will eventually be a use for them, so make them!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 04:16 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I do a bit of both, to be honest. I often make cards, but leave them sentiment free, so I can always add whats needed at the time.
I also thought of suggesting you donate to charities/fund raisers. If you have schoolage children, or a relative who has, they are always after ways to raise funds.
You could always maybe try art journalling, to test out products. This is an idea I'm going to try out myself,as I have a lot of stamps & sentiments that I love, but also know would not be to everyone's taste as a card. Art journalling doesn't have to be mixed media, it could just be trying out background techniques, that you can stamp over.
I too understood your comment about few friends. I have my beloved Hubby, and my eldest son, who I would call truly close friends. My DIL, and some friends I have made through blogging, now come a close second, but all my life I've been a loner, I've always said, I'm alone, not lonely. I love my own company, and always have since I was a small child.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 04:44 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a make for fun kind of crafter. And I do have quite the stash of cards and most of them will probably not find homes as I don't have many people to send them to. My family and I do a community rummage sale in the summer and I'll usually pull kind of a random box together and sell them for like 50 cents. I don't sell many and don't make a whole lot but last year I sold this little puppy card to a little girl and her mom and it just made me so happy to see it go home with her. I used up a bunch at Christmas this year when I made my best friend a open when... letter box. She loved it and it allowed me to use up some cards I might not otherwise I think i ended up sending her about 40 different cards in that one box, I'll also sometimes give a box of cards to people when I give them another present as well like at Christmas or their birthday. i also made a box for a friend when he graduated college because I had given him a few cards and he also mentioned that he liked them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Are you on facebook? Shannon West, an employee of SU, started a movement called #imbringingbirthdaysback . She feels that because of facebook many people simply tell friends or family happy birthday instead of sending a card. So, she posted a birthday card and told all of her acquaintances that if they gave her their birth date and sent her their address she would send them a birthday card. She has well over a thousand people requesting cards now! She was recently featured on a tv show in Utah. Many of her friends are also following suit and the movement has taken off like wildfire! People LOVE getting birthday cards! Even if you have few friends but do have acquaintances I think it shows that they would LOVE getting a hand made card in the mail. And if you are interested I'd be happy to to it with you! You can PM me your address and birth date.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 05:37 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

You can also consider the Receive a card/Send a card (RAC/SAC) group here on SCS. It's a great way to share your cards with other stampers and also receive a card. As a newbie I really like getting cards from others, it gives me so many ideas..
I am also considering joining the "Birthday Random Act of Kindness" group or the "Welcome RAK".. I remember how overjoyed I was to receive the gorgeous cards!
This way you can keep having fun doing what you love and will also send some smiles to other people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

When you want to play, you should do it! Enjoy those new supplies. I make cards ahead and then make cards specifically for people. That leaves me with quite the stash. I have a couple of friends who love getting a box of cards as gifts. I pretty well deleted my stash at between Christmas presents to those two and the Hope You Can Cling To card challenge and drive in October. Like many others on SCS, I've started art journaling to play with techniques. I've got some cards I don't want to part with. I may cut off the front and add to my art journal!

I'm sure a nursing or retirement home would love getting those Valentines!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I almost never make a card for an occasion. I find it very hard to work to a deadline (which is why my challenge cards are always so late to the party), and since I don't celebrate Christmas I'm off the hook for that, too. I rarely put a sentiment on a card, but will occasionally add one when I decide who is getting it and for what.

I make cards for myself, when I feel inspired. I work very slowly and there's nothing I can do about it and at this point I've stopped comparing myself to other, faster crafters and just accepted my process as who I am.

I don't have many people I will send my cards to - I only send handmade cards to certain people, people who actually appreciate a hand made card. Everyone else gets something from CVS.

That said, I have a hard time parting with my cards in general. I have struggled with this for years - I should send more out, I should donate, I should get involved in card drives, cards for a cause,etc. - but I recently decided to give up this struggle and view my cards as my "art". I figure one day when I'm no longer around my family will discover my card stash and it will become my "body of work." ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #10  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by AasthaView Post
You can also consider the Receive a card/Send a card (RAC/SAC) group here on SCS. It's a great way to share your cards with other stampers and also receive a card. As a newbie I really like getting cards from others, it gives me so many ideas..
I am also considering joining the "Birthday Random Act of Kindness" group or the "Welcome RAK".. I remember how overjoyed I was to receive the gorgeous cards!
This way you can keep having fun doing what you love and will also send some smiles to other people!
You stole my answer - RAK and BRAK are great as are RAC/SAC!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I would like to say I make cards just for fun, but if I am being completely honest, I need a reason or a deadline!

I tend to match my cards to people, and struggle to make generic 'birthday', anniversary etc cards I will find out their passion, or favourite flower, colour, etc and use that as my basis for a card.

That being said I would love a stockpile of cards so that I didn't go into a complete flap, as it is XXX birthday tomorrow and I want to make them a card.

My Advice...don't be like me lol! jump and make cards for the heck of it!

On the topic of friends, I emigrated 6 years ago, when you move 4000 miles away from family and friends, you realize pretty quickly who are your true friends and keep in contact.

I spent my childhood moving around multiple countries at a moments notice, so I tended to make quick acquaintances but as cold as it sounds I would move on to the next set of acquaintances at the next town/country to protect myself from the heartache of leaving a 'best friend'.

I would say I have 1 'best friend' other then my DH, and I have a handful of friends that if I needed them would be therefore me in an instant but we are not in constant contact.

Last edited by jukie; 02-12-2016 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Sometimes. For big events that I know I will be needing several cards ie Valentines, Christmas..) I make most ahead of time. Sometimes I buy a set of stamps with a specific person in mind (Ie masculine sets for my dad). And then I may make cards right away even if the birthday is months away.
But generally I make them when needed. Or scramble to make them as the case may be. for example my sister's birthday is today and I have not made a card for her, yet.
I do have a "stock pile" of cards, but for close family and friends I usually personalize my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My mother used to subscribe to a certain magazine...I can't remember the name but it had stories in it written by the subscribers...and in the back there would be 4 or 5 pages devoted to people looking for penpals or card showers or just lonely people asking for a card to cheer themselves up. So I started honing my card skills by picking out 12 random people every month and sending them my handmade cards. It was a win/win situation. I got to practice and it brightened somebody's day. Unfortunately the magazine discontinued this feature after awhile so I started my own "Card Of The Month Club." I started with 10 people (could be a friend, relative or a friend of a friend) and every month for a whole year they would get a card. Then at the beginning of the next year I would pick 10 new people. Word of mouth got around and I already have a waiting list for next year. It's my way of spreading just a little cheer or a pick me up and you never know how one little card could make the difference in someone's day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't Rubber Stamp Madness still have this feature in their classifieds at the back of the magazine? People wishing to exchange cards?

I think it does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 10:21 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Gosh, I think I came off as poor me, no friends, which I didn't mean in that way. It is true I don't have many close friends at this point in my life. Probably many reasons, though frankly Ive always been the type that just has a small circle of friends anyways,and currently due to many things that have happened in my life the last few years, I find myself with less than before. I do feel lonely at times and miss the scrapbooking stores where you could go to crops and meet all kinds of people. No stores at all left in my area though. Anyways, I am really okay with this. I have 3 grown kids, two of whom live nearby and a beautiful granddaughter. As long as I have my family, I am fine. I also have a mom, sister and brother in another state that I adore.
Still, that's not really very many people to send cards too which is why I was struggling with what to do with my supplies. You gave me some great ideas which I am going to check out. I also have made a decision to just make cards and not wait for a special occasion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Rachelrose. I'll have to check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm like Shazsilverwolf and do a little of both. I usually make special birthday cards for my grandchildren, according to what they are interested in at the time. And you know that kids change what they like at the drop of a hat. So I can't do theirs too far ahead, lol. Also, believe it or not, we have 19 grandkids, so there is seldom a month without a birthday!

When I get a new stamp set that I'm excited about, I frequently make several cards with it, maybe using different colors, but the same design. I leave the sentiment off, or put a very generic one on the front. Then when I have an occasion and need a card, I can add the sentiment inside.

I like having some cards in reserve that I can personalize at the last minute.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I struggle with concept, so I tend to make 1 design per event. Ladies all get the same bday card, men do, etc. I would love to be more personal about it. Maybe one day.

Anyway...I am liking the card set idea.

This way you can check out a technique, make it neutral like Thinking of You, and put one in each package. Move on to the next technique. In the end, people get 6 cards or whatever, of different kinds to use. I have never met anyone who was not happy to get stationary sets. I cant keep up with them myself.

Another choice is to not make them cards. Work on postcards. Then you can just keep them as demos of a technique if you ever want to go back and do it for a card. Write on the back what you did. Throws the door wide open to just making for fun

Of course there is donations. Whether to a local charity thrift store you want to support or whatever. TONS of options there.

The exchange ideas above sound good.

And then there is just making for you. I never have enough thinking of you, sympathy, get wells, thank you, baby, congratulations around for myself. These could go to outside your normal small circle. Someone passes in your church, or at work....you will want some for men in particular or small children. So you have reason to make for yourself there

Valentines often can be toned down to romance...gen love cards, or anniversaries-yours/others. Birthdays for spouses are often romantic. My DH gets a handful each time lol. Maybe make a wedding card to have on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Are you my sister from another mother? I have a HUGE family, so I don't have that excuse, but I'm way, way worse than the average crafter in making cards and sending them anywhere near whatever event/occasion is happening! I AM ALL ABOUT MAKING THINGS FOR FUN!!! I almost threw in the towel a couple of months ago (okay, more like a couple of weeks...) because it WASN'T fun and I WASN'T making anything and WHY did I have all of this STUFF?!?!? Then there was a challenge that sparked 40 ideas (yes, I'm serious - I have them sitting in a folder on my desktop), and I'm working my way through those. Will anything I make ever go anywhere? Doubtful, at best...

I pretty much don't care, since I'm doing it for the joy of doing it, and to scratch a particular itch in Odd Brain so it'll shut up and leave me alone, already, lol. I decided a little bit ago that I'm going to make whatever size of whatever-it-is I feel like making, and not give a care as to whether it'll end up on a card or not. I'm considering ATC or playing card size for starters, just so I can play with more things faster...

Oh - and I just got three digital stamps this morning - one for fall, one for winter, and one just because. I don't care what season or holiday I should be working on - I care which one I feel like working on! ...change that to "playing with", please and thank you!

And if you enjoy what you're doing and using your things, then it's not a waste, whether the finished item goes anywhere or not...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 02-12-2016 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Forgot something - as if I needed to add more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a calendar in my stamp room that has all important events on it. I try to make cards in plenty of time to send them. I usually make multiples of everything so I can beef up my boxes on the shelf for donation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my goals this year is to make cards in advance of occasions. I usually only do birthdays and anniversaries anyway. I'm doing pretty well so far, probably because I now have a card room with my supplies always out.

One lady who used to be on SCS made thank you cards for all the teachers at her local elementary school on a regular basis. Don't forget the other school staff, too, I know for a fact they are often forgotten. Nursing home staff, cleaning staff, your doctor's office staff, you get the idea.

My 90-year-old dad lives in senior apartments where they have monthly birthday parties in each building for all the residents having a birthday that month. For the last few years I've made cards for him to hand out to the party boys and girls each month. They really do love them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2016, 05:32 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I like to have cards on hand for gifts or to mail. I write lots of snail mail notes and send birthday cards to several people throughout the year so I welcome the chance to make new ones even if they won't be used right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Default Just for fun and relaxation

I make cards, then figure out what to do with them. I make cards for fun! I play with new materials and card fronts emerge. I have an extended family and friends whose birthdays and anniversaries are acknowledged with a USPS supported hand crafted card. I have given sets as gifts and prizes. My stash is in need of specific occasions and then I focus on stamps and sentiments over new techniques. This is my hobby that is easily shared with others. I know that electronic messages get the job done, but I still believe people enjoy the tactile elements in life. Children like getting something in the mail. Older people like being remembered, as do we all. Play each day, somehow and some way!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2016, 07:32 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make cards for my stash. Rarely do I make something for an occasion. And I play with my stuff all the time. That's how I justify buying more stuff.

I also have several card tops made in various stages and will usually pull something from there and pop a die cut on the top or a printed sentiment on the front and I'm done. Most of my stuff is generic card tops that can be used for various types of occasions. And there are times when I pull out the valentine stamps, or the turkey/leaves stamps and make cards for those holidays (which are months away).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2016, 01:30 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a Stampin' Up demonstrator and teach card making classes. So I always have card sets left over from classes, my craft room is slowly but surely becoming a storage room of boxes full of card sets. Then because I love the craft, I am constantly creating cards to learn new techniques or folds, etc. and I participate in card swaps through Stampin' Connection. I do send cards regularly to friends and family. But I still have a fabulous stash of cards. I am somewhat of a hoarder too. I tend to hold on to cards I receive in swaps and those I make at SU events. So, what does a girl do. You join RAK and BRAK, donate to your church, sell what you can. I just love making the cards and I get a rush when I create something I am proud to post on sites like this one and Facebook. This stamping grandma will keep on stampin' til she can't pick up a stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AasthaView Post
So glad to see this has been shared in the thread! Our Random Acts of Kindness and Birthday Random Act of Kindness groups both provide welcome opportunities for sharing your creations! Hand-made cards are truly "exclusive" works of heart by the person who made the card .... and who doesn't love a surprise smile popping out of their mailbox?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

You might consider sending some of your cards to the ladies here at SCS who host Ronald McDonald Houses. There's a thread under the Cards Swap that lists each month and what type of cards the hostess needs. Janie also takes them as a coordinator and spreads them around to other houses; her thread is in the Need A Lift Forum.

I'm one of those people who love to make cards for a swap or a cause but absolutely struggle with making random cards just to keep on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes