Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you like the clear stamps?

Let me just start by saying that I use to demo SU quite a few years ago. I have been out of the stamping loop for about 3 years or so. After hearing a "complaint" from a friend of mine who was "upset" LOL that she doesn't receive "those beautiful handmade Christmas cards" anymore, it got me thinking. I'd like to get back into stamping. Thing is....I SOLD ALL of my SU stuff about 3 years ago. :shock:

So I got in contact with an old friend of mine who still sells SU. She then proceeds to tell me that you can get your stamps now in either wood or clear. I personally love the idea. I don't know how long this has been like this (like I said, I haven't even seen an SU catty in a couple years) I remember going to another stamping home party before and they had clear stamps and I actually preferred them.

How do you like them compared to the wood blocks? Do you get a choice between the two for ALL the stamps in the catty or is this just a trial run?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify - the stamps are not clear - just the block that you use to stamp with. The stamps will remain rubber - you'll have the opportunity to get them with the wood blocks, or unmounted with cling foam.
I'm not a demo - hopefully one can respond regarding which stamps will be available umounted with cling.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have any SU unmounted stamps YET!!! I prefer the rubber over clear acrylic stamps. Maybe it's just me but I get a much better image when I use rubber stamps. I just can't get ink to adhere uniformly to the acrylic. If you press too hard the outline gets blurry. I have even rebought (?) one set in rubber because the solid sections (hair, in my case, always came out splotchy). From what I have seen, the new SU unmounted stamps have the image on the back so when it is attached to a clear acrylic block, you can see where to stamp. I have several of this type of stamp and much prefer them over clear acrylic stamps. These are just my opinions because I know others love their clear acrylics.

The only clear acrylic ones I have had success with are from Peachy Keen. I have 2 sets of facial expressions to use with my Cricut paper dolls and snowpeople. They are made of a firmer, thicker acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All the stamps in the new Occasions mini catalogue, and the Sale-a-Bration stamps are available in both Wood Mounted, or Clear Mounted.

SU! has said that all new stamps, going forward, will be available in both formats.

The other change you'll notice is that all the stamps are now die cut, so you won't need your rubber scissors, unless you want to trim them further.

As another poster said, the stamps themselves are still the deep cut red rubber that you remember. Now you have a choice of the wood blocks or not. The clear mount stamps come in a CD-like plastic case, and you can place labels on the back of the stamps.

You can find more info on the SU! website ... stampinup.com ... choose products, then 2009-2010 catalogues, and download the pdf for the Occasions mini. It's got a page or more of information about the change. I'd give you the link, but I've got the Canadian one, and the prices are higher than what you'd be paying!

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I'm seeing in this post that the SU stamps are still red rubber, just cling foam now. Thanks for the explaining!! I would not have known otherwise.
Since you are getting back into stamping I just wanted to give my two cents on what I think about both kinds of stamps...
I still love the red rubber stamps. I feel they give the best stamped images. As someone above noted as well. BUT what I do love about the clear stamps is you can through the stamp, when you use an Acrylic block. It gives you better placement of the image on the paper because you can see through it. Hope that makes sense. It takes a bit to get use to them, but I'm starting to really enjoy them. To get a better image, I just make sure the stamp is really coated with ink.
Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I ordered all the ones in the new mini...all clear mount. I am loving the ease of use as well as the awesome storage solution they came up with for these. I think a lot of people will be very happy...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

The clear mount stamps also come with image stickers that you can put on the foam so you can see what it is you are stamping. I think this is a great option for stampers who prefer unmounted, but also for those who love the crisp images that rubber produces. It's a win-win!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Just a thought, if you're getting back into stamping--remember the incentives (both for purchasing and for signing up/recruiting) during SAB, which now runs through March.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi there,

I am wondering why these UMs are being referred to as clear mount stamps.....Seems to muddy the waters a bit, for me.

Over the years, rubber without wood backing has been known as Unmounteds (UMs), with the tacit knowledge that you will have to use an acrylic block with them. Some rubber has come with Ezy Mount attached, some has been sold as bare rubber.

I am still out with my personal jury on the actual quality of clear stamps. I have had a few NOT make the grade, but I am trying not to allow this to cloud my overall judgement of them. The price is sweet.....but if they do not have the longetivity of the rubber, then rubber is going to win out for me. I have rubber from the early 90's still going strong....stamping beautifully.

I, too, believe good old rubber gives the crispest image. I have squillions of UMs here in rubber and if placement is of concern then I use a stamp positioner.

I bet you are massively sorry to have sold all your stuff! I recently advised someone who has not stamped for quite a while. She wanted to know where to sell all her gear. I gave her this site and a few others to go look at.....knowing that she will be sucked in big time again.....Perhaps I should have snaffled all those PSX ones off her first!!!!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
I am wondering why these UMs are being referred to as clear mount stamps.....Seems to muddy the waters a bit, for me.
They are trying to distinguish between the mount of the stamp. Clear mount vs. wood mount. And since SU! has always been referred to as wood mounted I think it just makes sense to call the new format clear mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I agree that using the term "clear mount" is confusing. Some people see the word "clear" and immediately think the stamp is clear. You can't blame the public, since clear stamps are frequently called clear stamps and rubber stamps usually never have the word "clear" in their name.

Rubber stamps sold unmounted, but with clingfoam attached for use with clear/acrylic blocks, are usually called "unmounted stamps." They might also be called "clingmounted stamps" or "clingfoam-mounted stamps."

Rubber stamps sold unmounted and without clingfoam attached are usually called "bare rubber."

SU"s use of "clear mounted" is not at all common. Frankly, I hope they stop using it. Much like when they referred to their first embossing folder (as probably 99% of crafters call the plastic folders that emboss) as an embossing die, their use of an "original" name is more confusing than helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

One other thing is the sets without the wood mounting will be about $5.00 cheaper. It seems some even less than that. I LOVE my SU sets and I LOVE wood mounted. That said, it is very likely I will never buy another wood mounted set from SU. I'm a pratical gal and I'm on a budget and I want more sets...solution??? Pay less, buy more ;) I just can't see myself paying $5.00/$6.00 more for any set if the unmounted option is available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I do want to add, though, that whatever SU calls clingmounted stamps, I'm BUYING them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I have quite a few of all three types - wood mounted rubber, rubber mounted on EZ Mount, and completely clear. I actually prefer the completely clear ones because you can see where the image is going.

I also love the new Hero Arts clings because they come ready to go on EZ Mount and with the image placed perfectly on the back of the stamp (the EZ Mount portion). I also have some Stampendous stamps that are the same.

One thing I do not like about the rubber and EZ Mount is unless you put the sticker on the back in exactly the correct place on the Ez Mount side the image will not be straight and even though you can see through the block the image can still come out crooked.

Also, I think many people that try the completely clear stamps don't realize that you need a much lighter touch when stamping. They tend to push the stamp onto the paper with the same pressure as they are used to using with the rubber and they get a bad image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am loving the new clear mount stamps and I agree with Allistamps123 that I will be buying these exclusively from now on. They stamp a perfect image just like the wood mounts.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Hi there,

Over the years, rubber without wood backing has been known as Unmounteds (UMs), with the tacit knowledge that you will have to use an acrylic block with them. Some rubber has come with Ezy Mount attached, some has been sold as bare rubber.

Michelle
I agree with you Michelle - the accepted terminology for ages has been to refer to rubber stamps that are not mounted as just that - unmounted! You would either get them as bare rubber (ie die only) or mounted with cling foam, or mounted on wood.
SU, it is my understanding, will sell unmounted stamps with cling foam, and then sell clear block separately.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: in a parallel universe, where i get to stamp all day!

I love the clear mounts... I love the storage savings, the dollar savings and the fact that they still give me the quality of stamp that I've grown accustomed too with the wood mounts. I love the little stickers that you can put on the back of the rubber so that you can see the image through the acrylic. I also love the fact that the spines of the cases - and the front - have thumbnails of all of the stamps!
If you are just starting back... and congratulations btw :-) .... I think the clear mounts are a great option for you... especially at SAB time:-)
jaydee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I am sooo happy SU is offering the option of unmounted stamps, but I am very unhappy with their choice of terminology. I am not a demo, but many people ask me all kinds of stamping questions, and you wouldn't believe how many people I have had to explain SU's new terminology to. If they did give this name to distinguish between wood mounts and clear mounts, then I would see the confusion of people thinking the clear mounts are included with the stamps, just like wood blocks are included with the wood-mounted stamp sets. I sure hope they rethink their new terminology.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Although I'm not a fan of the 'clear mount' terminology, I am super excited that I can now get the same great quality rubber for less $, use less storage space, etc. I am highly tempted to start unmounting all of my SU stamps...after I finish making an index, of course, right?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Are the acrylic blocks sold with the stamps...or as an aside?

I know from a lay person's view that having the word "clear" in there when referring to the stamp itself gives off the wrong or diversionary information. To me, it would be more highly satisfying for the stamps to be called UMs as this form of rubber has been called in the past....with an addendum that you need to have an acrylic block in order to mount and use them.

Distinguishing the mount is understood as soon as you say the stamp is an UM. Because it is an UM...you have to get something to mount it on.

I fail to see why stampers have to be reeducated in this. A stamp without a mount is an UM....

It is an interesting way to bring them in, as far as I can see.....

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_hawkinsView Post
They are trying to distinguish between the mount of the stamp. Clear mount vs. wood mount. And since SU! has always been referred to as wood mounted I think it just makes sense to call the new format clear mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Nancy....I was wondering where the acrylic block was coming into the equation....

So then the stamps are UMs...plain and simple....

You and I must belong to the "older" generation of stampers, eh...All your terminology is the same as mine.

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
I agree with you Michelle - the accepted terminology for ages has been to refer to rubber stamps that are not mounted as just that - unmounted! You would either get them as bare rubber (ie die only) or mounted with cling foam, or mounted on wood.
SU, it is my understanding, will sell unmounted stamps with cling foam, and then sell clear block separately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Having stated all that has gone before....I am more than happy for SU to offer UMs......it has been a long time coming. For me, I am well pleased they are sticking to rubber as well.....since it is by far the best for me....

I love to have the option to buy UM or mounted....my UMs would outnumber my mounteds here by a long shot....

Don't know that I am all that fired up to go Unmounting everything in sight though....

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choc0holicView Post
Although I'm not a fan of the 'clear mount' terminology, I am super excited that I can now get the same great quality rubber for less $, use less storage space, etc. I am highly tempted to start unmounting all of my SU stamps...after I finish making an index, of course, right?!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I have to say that when I heard that SU was going to have clear mount, my pocketbook did the happy dance. I'm not a big fan of clear stamps. I have some and I use some and they have great images, and I'm sure I'll buy more but, I just prefer rubber. Now that I know that they are unmounted and not clear, my pocketbook went from doing the happy dance to cowering in a corner. I can't wait to get my first unmounted set. I'm still on the fence though when it comes to unmounting what I already have........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
One other thing is the sets without the wood mounting will be about $5.00 cheaper. It seems some even less than that. I LOVE my SU sets and I LOVE wood mounted. That said, it is very likely I will never buy another wood mounted set from SU. I'm a pratical gal and I'm on a budget and I want more sets...solution??? Pay less, buy more ;) I just can't see myself paying $5.00/$6.00 more for any set if the unmounted option is available.
This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I haven't used the new ones yet, but I will, and I'm sure that I'll quickly get used to it. I'll need to find a place on my table to permanently keep those beautiful smooth blocks. Then, as you said, I can buy more stamps for my hard earned money, so I will probably only buy the clearmount option as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Are the acrylic blocks sold with the stamps...or as an aside?
I know from a lay person's view that having the word "clear" in there when referring to the stamp itself gives off the wrong or diversionary information. To me, it would be more highly satisfying for the stamps to be called UMs as this form of rubber has been called in the past....with an addendum that you need to have an acrylic block in order to mount and use them.

Distinguishing the mount is understood as soon as you say the stamp is an UM. Because it is an UM...you have to get something to mount it on.

I fail to see why stampers have to be reeducated in this. A stamp without a mount is an UM....

It is an interesting way to bring them in, as far as I can see.....

Michelle
They are sold as an aside. This makes sense if you think about it, because you only need to buy any given size of acrylic block one time. Once you buy all the sizes that you love - I think SU is offering about 10 different sizes - you don't have to spend money on blocks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

First of all are you asking about clear stamps the ones you see directly through an image, or the unmounted which is red rubber on a cushion mount known as Ez Mount.Tthe wooden stamps will always be a favourite with me but im not buying any more SU stamps. So i wont be able to tell the quality of the new Stampin Up system. I dont realy like the unmounted system of unmounted because on images like flowers with thin stems or images which are thin borders etc the cushion mount eventually moves and slides off the image which in time you may have to remount them.
you are fine with bigger broader images these dont move, i used this system and demonstrated and sold this system 5 years ago from various companys and to answer your question about CLEAR stamps i really disliked them UNTIL i tryed my first Close TO MY Heart clear stamp.
I have never given praise about clear stamps but i can say this CLOSE TO MY HEART clear stamps work well use their inkpads to get the best crisp images and use a stamping mat or the shrink sheet which comes in every set.
So Clear stamps are perfectly clear they are not cushion mounted you simply peel off the carrier sheet pop on the Acrylic block and you are ready to go.
hope you get back into stamping whichever route you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

It was SU!'s decision to call their new product whatever they wanted. We can argue terminology until we're blue in the face and it's not going to change what they are being called. Technically they are called "Clear Mount Rubber Stamps." So, maybe if everyone called them clear mount rubber stamps instead of just shortening it to clear stamps there would be no confusion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:04 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I'll be buying the clear mounts, but for me....my wood mounts will stay on their little wooden block ;) I would go crazy unmounting all of them and I do like the feel of wood and I don't want to invest any more in them with buying cushion, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:35 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

I don't really care what SU calls them but I will say this, their blocks are way too expensive. Look around. You can find clear blocks much cheaper and I love SU stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

I've been unmounted for a while. I just wanted to say that unlike the above poster, I've never had a flower stem slide off the foam, although I had it happen many times with my wood mounts. In fact, I've never had any small stamps slide off either. I had many problems with that when my stamps were wood mounted. I just repaired them with rubber cement. I don't think it's completely unavoidable and is often a result of aggressive cleaning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 05:24 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
....you only need to buy any given size of acrylic block one time...
I think you may find that it is nice to have a couple of the smaller sized mounts especially if you ever do any assembly line type stamping for holiday cards or whaterver. Regarding price, acrylic blocks come in a variety of price points. I don't have any of the SU blocks yet. I'm putting them on my next order. But, I do find that some of the cheaper blocks are simply cheap, if you know what I mean. ;) Of course, they do work okay. And, personally, I prefer the hourglass shaped ones. I'm not sure if it's because I got used to that, having started with wood mounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_hawkinsView Post
It was SU!'s decision to call their new product whatever they wanted. We can argue terminology until we're blue in the face and it's not going to change what they are being called. Technically they are called "Clear Mount Rubber Stamps." So, maybe if everyone called them clear mount rubber stamps instead of just shortening it to clear stamps there would be no confusion.
Actually, SU might change it's mind if feedback shows that people are confused or unhappy with the term they made up.

The Manhattan Textured Impressions Die is a prime example of SU entering a new (to them) field, choosing a term for a product that was NOT in line with what that very same product line is called outside SU, and then deciding it was too confusing (and perhaps too much work) to try to convince the rest of the crafting population to change its terminology to suit SU's venture into an existing product field (plastic embossing folders). The Manhattan Textured Impressions Die is now officially (in the new catalog and online) called the Manhattan Textured Impressions Embossing Folder.

SU's unmounted rubber stamps may technically be called "Clear Mount Rubber Stamps," (only because they chose that phrase), but that's not what unmounted stamps are called in the unmounted world. SU is using that term for their product, which is their right, but it is confusing and not in line with what the vast majority of stampers call/consider unmounted rubber stamps.

SU is usually very responsive to demo and customer feedback. The switch back to one catalog per year and the fact that there will be no more double-mounted sets (save for alphabets) are two recent examples of SU listening to feedback and making the appropriate changes.

I sincerely hope the company changes it's term for unmounted stamps. They're offering an awesome system and it deserves to be recognized fully -- and easily -- for what it is.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 01-08-2010 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am in LOVE with SU's way of using their red rubber clear mounted stamps...I started out with the acrylic stamps and almost quit stamping.....just could not get a clear image at all...then had to use a cushion, etc., etc....then was introduced to su....so thought I had to stick with wood mounted to get the image I wanted....also loved hero arts for the same reason....

I am going to have to get use to taking them off and on the blocks that is another reason I didn't really like the block kind....but for the savings and storage and the impression....I'll get use to it...lol...now I have the best of both worlds!!!

red rubber, seeing my image, storage, savings, etc....what more can I want!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

TheOtherMeg - I realize that SU! listens to feedback, but my response was because the previous poster quoted me to give me a terminology lesson. I am well aware of the types of stamps and what they are called. Telling me isn't going to change it. I don't find the name so bothersome to send a suggestion to SU! I honestly don't have an issue with what SU! is calling the stamps. I understand the confusion, but it's mostly because people are just calling them clear stamps. SU! stamps have always been unmounted when purchased. You just had to mount them to their respective blocks. Maybe that is why they opted not to call them unmounted.

Maybe it's just my pregnancy hormones getting defensive here, but when I'm quoted I tend to respond. Again, I'm just trying to get the point across that SU! is calling the stamps Clear Mounted Rubber Stamps, which to me is not confusing.

And sorry to the OP that this post has gotten so off the point. I would love to tell you my experience with the clear mount rubber stamps, but I'm still waiting on Mr. Brown to deliver them.

Last edited by mrs_hawkins; 01-08-2010 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 09:16 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Discussing (none of this strikes me as arguing, but I have a pretty tough skin) terminology may not change what the unmounted ("clear mounted") stamps are being called now, but it may very well change what they're called in the future. I feel changing the name to something that's more in line with what the majority expects unmounted stamps to be called would be very helpful and an advantage to SU.

My remark about feedback was only to show, with examples, that SU does listen to feedback. It was not intended as some sort of feedback lesson and I'm sorry if it appeared that way to you.

As for the pregnancy hormones, I've been there! I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy, a peaceful delivery, and a healthy baby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Just to add my 10 cents....smiles...when I first heard of the new stamps I immediately envisioned acrylic stamps (which I find takes a bit of work to get a clear image - and are not my preference although I have many). Once you see them live though (youtube, demonstration, even on the Stampin-up site) it is 'clearer' (no pun intended) that the stamps are still rubber.....so it may just be the first impression that is confusing. On the other hand, I do think that if they called them "cling" stamps we'd all get a more accurate picture in our mind prior to seeing them for the first time in real life.

My opinion of them: LOVE the idea (although I won't get to touch one until our Stampin' club tomorrow)! The reason is 'clear' - you don't need the stamp-a-ma-jig (excuse spelling) to align your image on paper. Saving in storage space is surprisingly less important to me, only because I display my favoriate wood stamps (I have Wood Pride).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, for me, I'm more than happy to pass on to SU the complaints/comments about the confusion. For myself, though, I didn't really have any confusion because it's very consistent with SU's way of naming products. Back in the day there were two styles available from them...foam-mount and wood-mount. Then just wood-mounted; now clear-mounted and wood-mounted. Very much in keeping with the company history, kwim?

I think there's precedent for confusion in nomenclature, lol. Look how many times "acrylic stamps" are referred to, when in fact it's the mounts that are acrylic, not the stamps, which are generally a polymer. Or when CTMH came out with their "My Acrylix" line...aren't those stamps polymer, rather than "acrylic"?

I think that eventually things settle down and everybody will use whatever term they are comfortable with. I mean, we all do that already, don't we? Many companies call their stamps "um" where I refer to them as "cling mount," because that's how they come. Other companies' stamps that they refer to as "um" I refer to as "bare rubber" because that's how they come.

Me, I'll probably refer to SU's as either "clear mount" or "cling mount," depending on, well, nothing I guess, lol! Just however it comes out of my mouth that day... Either way, I can live with it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeygirl59View Post
I think you may find that it is nice to have a couple of the smaller sized mounts especially if you ever do any assembly line type stamping for holiday cards or whaterver. Regarding price, acrylic blocks come in a variety of price points. I don't have any of the SU blocks yet. I'm putting them on my next order. But, I do find that some of the cheaper blocks are simply cheap, if you know what I mean. ;) Of course, they do work okay. And, personally, I prefer the hourglass shaped ones. I'm not sure if it's because I got used to that, having started with wood mounts.
This is a good point. I hadn't thought about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

I think SU should call them CLing mount stamps...clear mount is way too confusing and leaves me with thoughts of cheap clear stamp sets that I bought that I never use!

I LOVE cling mounted stamps. I can keep them in binders by topic or set and see hundreds of stamps in just a few seconds. That beats searching through drawers of wood mounted stamps anyday!

I will probably not buy SU's blocks as I already have enough clear blocks, but I do agree that a variety of sizes and even a couple extras come in handy. I have at least three stamping areas in my house! LOL! yep. I stamp in the craft area, at the kitchen table and in the livingroom at times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

SU! can call them whatever they want - I just know I really like them, which surprises me! I have always loved the feel of wood, but I am loving the feel of acrylic, too.

It is all rather new to me, so I cannot compare the SU acrylic blocks with anything else. I just know I like them. I do like the "see-through" feature. I am able to get my stamps in just the right place so easily!
Reply With Quote Likes