Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-30-2004, 07:42 PM   #41
Hot Mess

I have a literature (sorry about spelling!). It has 24 slots. I got it at Sam's a few years ago really cheap. I also have one that has 12 slots for white/vanilla/etc. I have them labeled and can see when I need to order more. I keep my scraps in 3 drawer containers below my paper racks.

Pro
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:45 PM   #42
Polyshrink Goddess

Default I did spring for one of those organizing folder label system

s on Ebay. It was about $20 for it, including shipping, but I must say, I was SO happy to be ALL organized BEFORE my starter kit even arrived. LOL...

Now when I order cardstock, I simply put each color in the file it belongs in, including smaller scraps. If I need something smaller for embellishing a card or scrapbook page, then I just put choose from the smaller pieces that I keep in the front of the file for easy access.

HTH,
Cindy Lou Who
Old 07-30-2004, 07:50 PM   #43
Inking Addict

I forget to explain about my scraps in my earlier post with the pics of my cube system! In those page protectors that I use to "separate" and label the colors, I can slide in the scraps for that particular color! It works out so good! Stacey
Old 07-30-2004, 09:15 PM   #44
Polyshrink Goddess

Default 12x12 paper storage

Hey all - good thread. I love the ideas of using the color swatches from past catalogs! And I like Stacey's page protector idea, especially putting it to double use as a scrap holder.

I read through all the posts on this topic twice to make sure noone described the cube storage thingy for 12x12 - the same as what Stacey described for her 8.5x11. If someone did and I didn't catch it, I apologize in advance...

I've tried so many ways to organize 12x12 paper over the last 6 years, and the best, cheapest method of paper storage I've found is the wire storage cube shelving that Stacey described. I made my cubes with smaller slots so that there are about 10 slots per cube. It takes a little time to get them all put together with the zip ties, but it's really awesome once they're done. I got three boxes of the cubes and have about 4 assembled cubes outfitted with the slots in each.

When I have all of the colors in 12x12 (sigh), I will probably put 2 colors in each slot. That gives me enough slots per cube for all the colors in a color family, plus the tag sheets for the color family, and maybe some of the patterned vellum? I don't really have enough SU! paper yet to fill it up, so I'm guessing.

Each "shelf" is about 14x14, so the paper fits perfectly. And, like Stacey, I feel so organized when I look at it! The best thing - besides the price - is that you can assemble them however you want. They can be oriented vertically to stand by themselves on the floor, or horizontally for a table top.

I could go on and on about this. I'll try to upload a pic tomorrow since my configuration is a little different from Stacey's.

For 8.5 x 11, I got some little rolling crates for hanging file folders. If they are sturdy enough, they should be just the thing for rolling those babies away when I'm done with them! Want to check out the colored tabs from ebay you all are raving about...

Rhonda N
Old 07-31-2004, 12:52 AM   #45
Matboard Maniac

tootse66---you are a girl after my own heart...I am going to buy a stand so I can finally put those grids together (again ) and organize your way!!! I LOVE it..I will post a pic as soon as I get done...thanks for the inspiration!!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:56 AM   #46
Pearl-ExPert

Default filing papers

I bought a few really nice black partical board shelves at Sam's Club. They have 12 slots each. They are so tall that I just store two colors in each block so I only need two sets. They cost a whopping $14.95 each! I love them and the black sets off the colors so nicely. They are stackable and very attractive.

These only fit the 8 1/2 X 11 sheets, though
Old 07-31-2004, 12:14 PM   #47
Pearl-ExPert

I had my SU! cardstock in 48 file folders but when I started buying individual colors, my hanging file box ran out of room. So, now I have each color family in one of the large drawers in my stacky drawer things and the "wedge" my DH made keeps the cs from sliding out of the packs. The glare from the flash is obnoxious but you can still see in the ends of the drawer.

If anyone is interested in the 48 file folders - the tags have color names but not samples, please pm me with an offer for the folders and I'll calculate postage after I figure out how to pack them.
Attached Thumbnails
cs_drawer.jpg  
Old 07-31-2004, 12:46 PM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: filing papers

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAmbrosia61
I bought a few really nice black partical board shelves at Sam's Club. They have 12 slots each. They are so wide that I just store two colors in each block so I only need two sets. They cost a whopping $14.95 each! I love them and the black sets off the colors so nicely. They are stackable and very attractive.

Oh, I saw those and actually had 1 in my hand and then thought it might not work well where I was going to place it. Can that be hung on the wall or does it have to sit on the table? I may have to go back and get one before they are all sold out. You never know with Sam's if it will be there the next time or not.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: filing papers

Oh, I saw those and actually had 1 in my hand and then thought it might not work well where I was going to place it. Can that be hung on the wall or does it have to sit on the table? I may have to go back and get one before they are all sold out. You never know with Sam's if it will be there the next time or not.[/quote]

I wouldn't hang it on the wall. It's sturdy and heavy, but it's just particle board. If you attached hangers to the back, I don't they would hold because of the weight.

They are really pretty compact and stackable. You can hook them together. I am loving mine and considering getting one more set.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #50
Stampin' Fool

I am currently using my crate from when I was doing Pampered Chef. I have the cs in vanilla file folders by color family but grouped by color if that makes any sense...black with black, olive green with olive green both in an Earth Elements folder. I am now buying solid color packs and 12x12 so I need to get something else. I would love to do the wire cube systems but I can't find them up here and the shipping is outrageous! I guess I will have to wait until I can get to Anchorage or the lower 48.
Member #3785
Old 08-01-2004, 10:06 AM   #51
Inking Addict

Target has the metal cube storage thingy on sale - just looked at the sunday flyer, and they're down to $9.99! It's a set of 6 cubes - but I only made like 4 of them and used those extra "pieces" to ziptie in to make more shelves inside each of the other cubes (see my earlier post with pics in this thread). Think I'm going to take a ride to Target and get me some more!

Thanks to everyone for the sweet compliments on my "cubie system" - I'd read about it in a magazine somewhere, and we kind of customized it from there! (It's about the only "organized" part of my stamp room right now - uggh, what a mess!)

Stacey
Old 08-01-2004, 10:45 AM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

Since today is my day I am think we are going to have to go to target and take a quick peek at those cubie things...will one package do or how many should I think about getting?
Old 08-01-2004, 10:56 AM   #53
Inking Addict

I bought one package to start with I do believe (and that's what I was showing in that picture I'd posted earlier in this thread). My "tower" has 3 cubes in it, and I added 2 shelves to each (so there's 3 total shelves per cube, including the bottom piece - with the opening towards the front -- does that make sense?) I've actually got one "cube" (looks like a square milk crate) left over - using it to store some other stuff in on the floor. I have all but just a few of the colors from each of the color families, and then some of the neutrals - and it all fits fine (as long as you don't have more than 1 package of a color to stack in there (I keep my "extras" in a different cabinet)). I don't think you'd want to make the tower more than 3 cubes high or it might get tippy??? But you could always put two sets of 3 next to each other! (In fact - I'm gonna do that.... "uh, honey? Can we run to Target......" hee hee).

Happy birthday by the way! And you're right - "it's your day".... so I say, venture on out to Target and wherever else your little heart desires - and enjoy yourself! You'll have to post a picture of YOUR cubie tower once you've got it all setup!

Oh - and don't forget to get some page protectors for dividing your paper up! (And you might wanna look at those plastic inbox thingy's -- works without them, but that way I was able to stack a few of those ontop of each other inside of the cubie - more organization, and could fit more paper in that way!)

Stacey
Old 08-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #54
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tootse66
I don't think you'd want to make the tower more than 3 cubes high or it might get tippy??? Stacey
If you're short on horizon space in your stamping place, you could try building your cubie thing tower higher than three and anchor it to the wall for stability.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:04 AM   #55
Inking Addict

Good idea! ("uh honey.. since we're running to Target, can you figure out something to anchor my paper tower to the wall in my stamp room?.... why? oh I don't know.... so the cats can't knock it down when they jump on it?..... ummmm..... oh wow - would you look at that, those cubie's are on sale again! wow, what a deal!"...... at which point, my DH will grumble something about "more stamping stuff"... but then he'll be so excited that he gets to do the manly thing and create a "cat proof" mount to the wall system that he'll venture off and I'll FILL the cart with cubies! ha ha)

Seriously - GREAT idea about anchoring to the wall! Leave more room for OTHER stuff! (hee hee)

Stacey
Old 08-01-2004, 11:07 AM   #56
Matboard Maniac

Default Paper Storage

Hi there. I attached a picture of the way I store my paper. I bought 2 boxes like these at an office supply store and they are great!! The boxes come with nice lids too. It is really best to have 2 so you can fit everything in without having to smash the paper in. I have my main colors in this box and the others and extra paper in the other. I made labels on my computer and punched out small color circles to place on them. It really helps to find the colors quickly. I also put the reorder number on the tabs and the color code too. We are a military family and now I can take my paper with me when we move a little easier, without it getting trashed... Hope this helps!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
p1010089.jpg  
Old 08-01-2004, 04:40 PM   #57
Hardware Hotshot

Stacey thanks for posting the pictures. I've been out of the loop for a couple of days so am just getting back to look at them. I really need to do something different because I have run out of space with my current system... LOL, I just need a bigger house!!

Karen

BLINGO
Old 08-01-2004, 05:06 PM   #58
Inking Addict

You're welcome! I'm with you on the needing the bigger house thing! At least I do have my own stamp room, but it's MUCH smaller than the one I had in my previous house! (I was waaaaay spoiled at the previous house - I had an ENTIRE room in the basement, just for my stamping stuff! Now I've got the sun-porch, which is at least 1/4 the size!) Oh well!

Stacey
Old 08-01-2004, 06:37 PM   #59
Stazon Splitcoast

stamaway wrote:
Quote:

Hi there. I attached a picture of the way I store my paper. I bought 2 boxes like these at an office supply store and they are great!! The boxes come with nice lids too. It is really best to have 2 so you can fit everything in without having to smash the paper in. I have my main colors in this box and the others and extra paper in the other. I made labels on my computer and punched out small color circles to place on them. It really helps to find the colors quickly. I also put the reorder number on the tabs and the color code too. We are a military family and now I can take my paper with me when we move a little easier, without it getting trashed... Hope this helps!!!!
Hey, stampaway, is that a regular 81/2x11" filing system or 12x12?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:15 AM   #60
Glitter Queen

Good thread! Like Stacey, I use page protecters, but I put mine in 3 ring binders. I have one big binder, but am going to purchase 5 smaller ones...one for each color group and then one for nuetrals. This works great, as you can just store it them on a bookshelf and grab the one you need!

Becky
Old 08-02-2004, 05:44 AM   #61
Matboard Maniac

I store my cardstock alpabetically by family, two colors per hanging file. Any cardstock 1/4 sheet or smaller goes into a photo storage box one color per divider. Each file and divider has a piece of that cardstock for matching up purposes. Love having a plan to keep it organized.

Jenny
Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 AM   #62
Glitter Guru

Stacey can you post a pick of your mechanics toolbench?
12 x12 is always harder to store than 8.5 x11
Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2004, 06:30 AM   #63
Inking Addict

Doris -
I'll gladly take a pic and post of my toolbench - but am at work right now ( sshhh - I should be working.... but I just had to pop on here! lol!). I'll post it tonight. It's basically just a storage "bench" thingy - one long deep drawer, and a 2 door cabinet with 2 shelves below. Nice flat surface to do stuff on (though right now it's got "stuff" piled on top of it!)

I did go to Target yesterday to get another cubie thingy - and they had ones in black that were a little wider and deeper than the one I already have in white. Don't remember exact dimensions - but I'm gonna see when I get home if it might fit the 12x12 papers as well!

Stacey
Old 08-02-2004, 07:16 AM   #64
Kookie Creator

i just bought clear plastic magazine holders, got them in Staples...4 for 10 bucks and i just stand the cardstock up in them. i like it better than having all them file folders. this seems to be working great for me and it is a cheap system too!

www.celebratinghome.com/sites/lorettan
Old 08-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #65
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

I only use the 8.5" x 11" cardstock. I wanted something portable, so I use a Creative Memories (can I say that here? ) File Mate organizer. I have a manila file folder for each color of cardstock, filed with the whites and neutrals in front, then the browns & black. The rest of the colors follow in ROYGBIV order, with each shade of a color (i.e. Ballet Blue, Bordering Blue, Brocade Blue, etc.) in ABC order grouped by color family. When I have a scrap of a color, I put it in the front of its file folder.

I don't keep more than 4 or 5 full sheets of each individual color in a file folder at a time to keep this thing portable for when I go to stamp club meetings and haven't planned out what I want to make. I store my packs of paper at home in a file drawer.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #66
Inking Addict

Doris B asked me to post a picture of my toolbench. Here it is. I tried to crop the top of it a bit (wanted to hide all the stuff I have piled on it right now, what a mess! ) It's a craftsman, but I seem to recall we got it pretty cheap. The drawer at the top is very wide and pretty deep - holds 12 x 12 papers very well! Then when you open the set of doors - it's got 2 storage shelves inside as well! Stacey
Attached Thumbnails
workbench2.jpg